Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Hate to break it to you but hula hoops and yo yos are still going strong!!

Hula Hoops? Yo-yos? What's next, kung fu? Skateboards?

Skateboarding will be making its Olympic debut at Tokyo 2020.

I wonder if it will outlast triathlon as an Olympic sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
I remember a training partner receiving titanium bidon cage screws as gift when buying some other bike equipment. We laughed about it but a week later when out riding, I asked her "You put them on your bike, didn't you?" She replied with a sheepish yes.

Some of the revolutionary things promoted in the tri mags of the mid '80s were hilarious, even at the time. The one I wish I had bought were tinted swim goggles that had vents on the side. You would open the vents after the swim to allow airflow on the bike and run, where they doubled as sun glasses. Apparently saved masses of time in transition.

Not sure why they didn't catch on.

I had a bunch of ti screws on an old bike, mostly because they don't rust.

Those goggles sound awesome. They'd make a great end-of-year gift for the swim club. Now that I think about it - goggles with speed holes. How awesome would that be!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
RandMart wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Hate to break it to you but hula hoops and yo yos are still going strong!!

Hula Hoops? Yo-yos? What's next, kung fu? Skateboards?

Skateboarding will be making its Olympic debut at Tokyo 2020.

As a lifelong skateboarder, let me say, that's kind of a shame. Oh, surfing is in too; can't imagine how that will work since you can't schedule a swell ... they'll build a wave pool maybe? The technology is getting pretty good

As I've posted before: Judged events (figure skating, gymnastics, skateboarding, etc.) in ALL categories (Olympics, Worlds, X Games) should be played like HORSE ... Triple toe loop ... land it: move on; fall: "H" ... Triple salchow ... land it: move on; fall: "O" and so on.

Also, someone should tell the gymnastics commentators, that the moves are not called "skills" they're called "tricks"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i consider the machined crank era the bike industry's version of the leisure suit era. i was a bike maker right in the center of all of that. there was a way to do it: smack the billet it with a forging press first, and then machine it. unfortunately a lot of crank makers (and pedal spindle makers, etc.) neglected that first part of the process.

not the industry's finest hour.

I unfortunately had the pleasure of having three sets of DanEd cranks fail on me (two during races was leading...can't win if you don't finish). Hopefully we learn from our mistakes...luckily we have not seen a reemergence of adding drillium to bike parts.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
Slowman wrote:

i consider the machined crank era the bike industry's version of the leisure suit era. i was a bike maker right in the center of all of that. there was a way to do it: smack the billet it with a forging press first, and then machine it. unfortunately a lot of crank makers (and pedal spindle makers, etc.) neglected that first part of the process.

not the industry's finest hour.

I unfortunately had the pleasure of having three sets of DanEd cranks fail on me (two during races was leading...can't win if you don't finish). Hopefully we learn from our mistakes...luckily we have not seen a reemergence of adding drillium to bike parts.

Stephen J

speed holes...

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [fat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are fake news!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny thing is I said that to somebody last night. He said you should probably drink something while swimming, and I said why, because it is not like I stop during the swim in a race to do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyme wrote:
Funny thing is I said that to somebody last night. He said you should probably drink something while swimming, and I said why, because it is not like I stop during the swim in a race to do it.

Just to be clear...I'm not discounting hydration at all. Especially pre/post workout.

I'm just saying that having a bottle right there on the pool deck has always seemed silly to me. Even slow swimmers can't stop and drink during the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
speed holes...

when i started bike racing if your bike didn't whistle you hadn't drilled enough holes in the RD parallelogram, the chain rings, or the brake levers.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:

7) Dimpled anything

even golf balls? That fad's been going on for quite a long time now.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone remember "curb running"? I almost bit on that one after reading it in Triathlete magazine - BST (before Slowtwitch).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geek_fit wrote:
tyme wrote:

Just to be clear...I'm not discounting hydration at all. Especially pre/post workout.

I'm just saying that having a bottle right there on the pool deck has always seemed silly to me. Even slow swimmers can't stop and drink during the race.

Well, it does depend on how long the race is.

Totally agree with the general point though.
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run Less
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to see a picture of all these shirts please!
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
when i started bike racing if your bike didn't whistle you hadn't drilled enough holes in the RD parallelogram, the chain rings, or the brake levers.

I sold my first real road bike (Bianchi Strada LX) to someone and when I saw them a week later they had drilled holes in everything including the chainring. It was one of those "back away, slowly" moments.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Coaches".
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hickory wrote: "coaches"

Hmmm... so is that a fad or a fraud?

As the OP on this thread, somebody's gotta keep this thing on track.

Please clarify.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power balance bracelets? Not triathlon specific but a decent money spinning fraud marketed at sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geek_fit wrote:
tyme wrote:

Depends on the race. Some swims have aid stations
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bottle is sort of silly....though in H.S. when I swam we would put a hose in the gutter running continuously in the faster lanes. First of all it was cold, I don't know where it was piped in from (could have been the bottom of Lake Michigan for all I know) but it was frigid, and it was glorious....nothing like dousing yourself in the middle of some pyramid 100s to cool down and get a drink of water.
Last edited by: pyrahna: Sep 15, 17 5:30
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm seems to be a bit of misinformation regarding "bottle use" in a triathlon swim.
Of course they let you drink during a triathlon swim. They are in your paddler's kayak.
How else would you finish an 11 K swim?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still think replacing your running shoes after a few hundred miles is kind of a scam perpetrated by the shoe companies

I wear the shit out of mine, and I've never suffered an injury from doing so

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Varus Wedge on the Brooks Vantage was a bit extreme for me.

Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 15, 17 11:07
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon's biggest fads and frauds [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Word, I second that, besides, why hate on the mullet?
Quote Reply

Prev Next