Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Western US relocation Options [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Just curious, why a western state if you family is in the east? Having close family is really nice when you start to have kids.

And with you income $800k is well within your price range. At about 3X income it would be the same if you moved to somewhere else with $400k houses while you make $150k.

we don't want to go back to Georgia, we left for a reason. we have enjoyed our time out west and want to stay out here, but outside of california. would rather pay for childcare and build our own life where we want, vs settling on our location because of cheap childcare. if grandparents want to be near their kid, they can sell their homes and move to us. As an aside, I find it interesting more don't take this mindset. Why do the people starting their lives together "typically" end up moving home, vs other way around?

you are partially correct on $800K, we could afford the monthly run rate currently assuming the appropriate down payment was made. I do not have $200K of non-retirement assets laying around to dump into a mid-century 3/2 that hasn't been remodeled.
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I do not have $200K of non-retirement assets laying around to dump into a mid-century 3/2 that hasn't been remodeled.

Hey, don't knock it until you've tried it ;).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SLC is nice. I think I could live there. The mormon thing and the air quality are the only things that would cause me considerable difficulty about SLC if I had to live in a big city. Utah is beautiful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fellow East Bayers here. We are at a different lifestage than you (kids off to college next year) but are probably going to look to Washington or Nevada at some point in the semi-near future to get out of the madness. SLC would be O.K. except the nasty inversions in the winter (I have asthma). My spouse can do his job or something like it remotely. I do want someplace with a decent job market and a decent economy just because I think that leads to a better quality of life. If it's Nevada, I'd like somewhere like Verdi, Genoa or Minden. If Washington, somewhere not in the Sea-Tac metro -- Sequim, Walla Walla, Yakima, etc.

I'm going to take all my ill-gotten California real estate gains and invade some other state! Bah-ha-ha-ha.
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
aarondb4 wrote:

Boise, ID is full of rednecks, skinheads, ignorant no good fools, and whores. Do not under any circumstance consider moving to Idaho!

We also have a standing order from the Governor to repel the Californian incursion, shoot on site orders have been issued.

Were you trying to discourage people from moving there? If so, you might want to edit your list.

Just think, w/ the lower cost of living, a guy could even afford better-kept Ho's too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
torrey wrote:
Just curious, why a western state if you family is in the east? Having close family is really nice when you start to have kids.

And with you income $800k is well within your price range. At about 3X income it would be the same if you moved to somewhere else with $400k houses while you make $150k.

we don't want to go back to Georgia, we left for a reason. we have enjoyed our time out west and want to stay out here, but outside of california. would rather pay for childcare and build our own life where we want, vs settling on our location because of cheap childcare. if grandparents want to be near their kid, they can sell their homes and move to us. As an aside, I find it interesting more don't take this mindset. Why do the people starting their lives together "typically" end up moving home, vs other way around?

you are partially correct on $800K, we could afford the monthly run rate currently assuming the appropriate down payment was made. I do not have $200K of non-retirement assets laying around to dump into a mid-century 3/2 that hasn't been remodeled.

I think you may have answered your own question... "most" people don't make anywhere near $200K+ and child care is fucking expensive. There were probably a couple brief periods when we spent more on that than housing. The support can also be more than simple logistics/financial, depending on how close-knit the family is.

Also, just from that little snippet, it doesn't give the impression you're very tight w/ your fam... I have at least one set of friends who had the job wherewithal to afford living just about anywhere, but they chose to relocate closer to where their kids could grow up seeing their cousins more frequently (whereas being closer to the grandparents was considered more of a 'cost' in that transaction rather than an added benefit).
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [307trout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
307trout wrote:
SLC is nice. I think I could live there. The mormon thing and the air quality are the only things that would cause me considerable difficulty about SLC if I had to live in a big city. Utah is beautiful.

Got a good buddy living over the hill in PC, which might be the least LDS-dominated and most 'outsider'-friendly bubble in all of UT, and that still chafes them on a regular basis ~ especially now that they have a kid and it starts to affect schooling and everything else. Before, as just an adult couple, they could simply choose to ignore it more and go skiing or mtn biking where politics & religion don't matter out on the slopes/trails... but having a family kind of forces you to engage in the community (and its politics) a little more, and it's clearly a source of constant annoyance whenever I visit & talk to them.
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
milkman1982 wrote:
torrey wrote:

I think you may have answered your own question... "most" people don't make anywhere near $200K+ and child care is fucking expensive. There were probably a couple brief periods when we spent more on that than housing. The support can also be more than simple logistics/financial, depending on how close-knit the family is.

Also, just from that little snippet, it doesn't give the impression you're very tight w/ your fam... I have at least one set of friends who had the job wherewithal to afford living just about anywhere, but they chose to relocate closer to where their kids could grow up seeing their cousins more frequently (whereas being closer to the grandparents was considered more of a 'cost' in that transaction rather than an added benefit).

Funny enough, we are quite close with both of our parents, and I am very close with my sibling (she doesn't live back in GA, rather SoCal). We both though have small immediate families;my extended family lives in the midwest, so "home" for me was always just mom/dad/sibling. I agree if you have a larger family/support structure it probably makes more sense to migrate back home. For my wife and I though, wherever we land is where our parent's main family will be, so at that point it is sort of on them to decide if they want to be closer to their golf/tennis friends or their grandchildren.
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grew up non LDS in northern UT. My parents must have done a good job shielding me from it because I was just a kid with friends. Sure, I was asked what Ward I lived in and was invited to a few Sunday School sessions, but once everyone figured out we were not interested I pretty much did my thing and had a pretty good child/young adult hood. It didn't affect my schooling ... played 3 sports, finished 3rd in my class academically. Dating was like Leave it to Beaver, but it was northern Utah in the mid-80's, so how crazy could it get?

We played golf on Sunday during the summers and went skiing in the winter, so I certainly didn't miss sitting in a pew once a week. I ended up going to an out of state school and left it behind.

I would imagine that there is a glass ceiling in the business world if you are working for a Utah company, but if you can work for a larger firm hopefully the MoMo thing is not an issue. Given the increased diversity of the state I am surprised that kids would have a tougher time than I did. I think I was one of maybe 5 non LDS in a class of 300.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read this board a lot and hardly ever post. But this topic is close to my heart, so here goes. I strongly suggest against SLC. I grew up in upstate NY, spent time in MT, SoCal, and ended up in SLC for the last 18 years. The local culture has no desire to protect or even slightly regulate their outdoor recreation activities/areas. They build and build like they will never run out of space or water.

The Mormon issue is as big as you want to make it. If you can ignore it, it won't bother you much. Individually, for the most part they are great people if not a little fake. Collectively its typical mob mentally at best and a straight up scary cult at worst. I don't have kids but I work in the public schools. I can tell you most of the older non-mormon people I know who raised kids in this area chalk that decision up as their single biggest regret in life.

What I personally have the biggest issue with is this place is basically a cesspool of pollution and nobody seems to give a shit what-so-ever. We have a serious air quality issue. People talk about the winter inversion but the real nasty secret is the air quality is usually worse in the summertime it just doesn't look as bad so no one talks about it. We have a sizable fresh water lake just south of us (Utah Lake) that is been closed since June for a toxic algae bloom and then just this week it found to levels of E coli that where off the charts. That lake drains into a river that feeds a lot of little ponds and waterways in the valley and eventually to the Salt Lake. That body of water allows a wonderful stench to drift into the valley and ton of dust from the areas that have dried up.

I suppose the housing is affordable compared to other areas but if your looking from something newer they are all built in big subdivisions about two feet from one another.

Other random shit, traffic is not as bad as other areas but it is definitely getting worse. Utah drivers are aggressive and people tend to be pretty quick to anger so that makes it seem worse? Summer is hot and long, this one has seemed especially hot. So I'm pretty much just bitching at this point...

I could go on, but what I'm trying to say is do your homework. On paper Utah looks great, the application doesn't really live up to that.
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [phunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phunk wrote:
I read this board a lot and hardly ever post. But this topic is close to my heart, so here goes. I strongly suggest against SLC. I grew up in upstate NY, spent time in MT, SoCal, and ended up in SLC for the last 18 years. The local culture has no desire to protect or even slightly regulate their outdoor recreation activities/areas. They build and build like they will never run out of space or water.

The Mormon issue is as big as you want to make it. If you can ignore it, it won't bother you much. Individually, for the most part they are great people if not a little fake. Collectively its typical mob mentally at best and a straight up scary cult at worst. I don't have kids but I work in the public schools. I can tell you most of the older non-mormon people I know who raised kids in this area chalk that decision up as their single biggest regret in life.

What I personally have the biggest issue with is this place is basically a cesspool of pollution and nobody seems to give a shit what-so-ever. We have a serious air quality issue. People talk about the winter inversion but the real nasty secret is the air quality is usually worse in the summertime it just doesn't look as bad so no one talks about it. We have a sizable fresh water lake just south of us (Utah Lake) that is been closed since June for a toxic algae bloom and then just this week it found to levels of E coli that where off the charts. That lake drains into a river that feeds a lot of little ponds and waterways in the valley and eventually to the Salt Lake. That body of water allows a wonderful stench to drift into the valley and ton of dust from the areas that have dried up.

I suppose the housing is affordable compared to other areas but if your looking from something newer they are all built in big subdivisions about two feet from one another.

Other random shit, traffic is not as bad as other areas but it is definitely getting worse. Utah drivers are aggressive and people tend to be pretty quick to anger so that makes it seem worse? Summer is hot and long, this one has seemed especially hot. So I'm pretty much just bitching at this point...

I could go on, but what I'm trying to say is do your homework. On paper Utah looks great, the application doesn't really live up to that.

thank you for the feedback, and everyone for that matter. a lot to consider. always going to be pros and cons for a location. you hear mixed opinions on the LDS influence. we are very secular, so it does give me some concern on my future child's behalf. i have off and on heard about the air, so will do a bit of diligence in that regard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of that list, I'd like Ft Collins or Colorado Springs. When I was looking to move out of OKC, Colorado Springs was my number one. Outdoors is great and not as crowded as Denver.

Ended up in Denver but we live/work on the west side so my commute is only 20 minutes every day (and work from home 2 days a week too) so that isn't an issue. Easy access to the foothills for weekend fun. When we want to go skiing I will either leave early (6am) and then head home around 2pm or spend the night up there and get a couple days in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
torrey wrote:

We often visit Park City, UT and love the overall area for it's mild summers and great outdoor opportunities. But I'm not sure of the career opportunities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in Colorado Springs and it meets everything on your list except for maybe #3. I'm not familiar with the local pay rate for your fields. If you can find the right job this is a great place. I moved here from the Chicago area 37 years ago. Traffic is starting to be a problem, but nothing compared to what it was like in Chicago...even 37 years ago. We have a decent triathlon community despite no local races. Biking is good, both road and MTB. Running is awesome and there are a good number of world class trail runners. Economy is stable, education is good. Plenty of access to the mountains and skiing without going through the crowded Denver area.

Fort Collins is great as well. It's like what Colorado Springs was about 40 years ago.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri2HaveFun wrote:
I live in Colorado Springs and it meets everything on your list except for maybe #3. I'm not familiar with the local pay rate for your fields. If you can find the right job this is a great place. I moved here from the Chicago area 37 years ago. Traffic is starting to be a problem, but nothing compared to what it was like in Chicago...even 37 years ago. We have a decent triathlon community despite no local races. Biking is good, both road and MTB. Running is awesome and there are a good number of world class trail runners. Economy is stable, education is good. Plenty of access to the mountains and skiing without going through the crowded Denver area.

Fort Collins is great as well. It's like what Colorado Springs was about 40 years ago.

I live south of Denver and Denver has become a traffic nightmare. I agree with the other poster that something should have been done 20 years ago. I went to the mountains this past weekend and we left around noon to come back and traffic, while moving slowly, was pretty much bumper to bumper from the tunnel to the front range. Denver was great 20-30 years ago and now is just sprawl and too many people have moved here. When I retire, I'm moving to the other side of the mountains, maybe Durango, Steamboat or western slope.

If skiing along the I70 corridor isn't important, then I would suggest Fort Collins. Springs in nice by the Broadmoor and a few other places.
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Questions about Denver......

I agree that the traffic and the housing costs have made the suburban commuter lifestyle unmanageable in Denver.

But are there other possibilities....
1) How about a house or condo in centralized area where car commuting could be kept to less than 10 miles/day.
2) What about that RTD system?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
Tri2HaveFun wrote:

I live south of Denver and Denver has become a traffic nightmare. I agree with the other poster that something should have been done 20 years ago. I went to the mountains this past weekend and we left around noon to come back and traffic, while moving slowly, was pretty much bumper to bumper from the tunnel to the front range. Denver was great 20-30 years ago and now is just sprawl and too many people have moved here. When I retire, I'm moving to the other side of the mountains, maybe Durango, Steamboat or western slope.

If skiing along the I70 corridor isn't important, then I would suggest Fort Collins. Springs in nice by the Broadmoor and a few other places.

Truth. I lived in the Vail area back in the 90's when you could drive to a Denver and back in under 2 hrs each way.

I spent all last week working out of Denver and traveled from Ft Collins to C springs. Traffic is horrible 24/7. I couldn't move there and deal with the congestion.

We drove to Durango on Friday morning via 285. One lane of steady traffic all the way to the Salida turn and then thinned a little to Alamosa turn. My son goes to school in Durango. That is a hard place to get to and not very big. Housing isn't cheap either, so I don't know that it meets many of your requirements.

We came back thru Alamosa and Pueblo to avoid the traffic as much as possible. That seems like a decent area. Also Grand Junction would be pretty high on my list if CO was calling.

Another poster mentioned Missoula or Bozeman. Both are excellent options, but Those are polar opposites on the political spectrum. So know which way you lean before putting them on your list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
Tri2HaveFun wrote:

We don't go up I70 for skiing unless we're going to Winter Park. We use US24 and Hwy9. Much less traffic. There's lots of nice areas outside of the Broadmoor area too.

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
aarondb4 wrote:

Boise, ID is full of rednecks, skinheads, ignorant no good fools, and whores. Do not under any circumstance consider moving to Idaho!

We also have a standing order from the Governor to repel the Californian incursion, shoot on site orders have been issued.

This is excellent news.. we are rednecks from Jawja. and attended public school there, a state ranked in the bottom 3-4, so we are also ignorant. Sounds like a winner.

Another vote for Spokane making the list I suppose. It's come a long way in the past 20 years or so and hits on most of your criteria.

Now that we have that out of the way if you really want to look closer at this shit hole which aarondb4 is deterring you from...start off in Moscow, ID (about 6 hours north) and work your way down from there. We in N. Idaho have standing orders against Californians as well but we know they are still coming..might as well just get you all down there anyhow..it's practically CA already ;).

Those rednecks are always looking south...they will never see you coming!
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:
We came back thru Alamosa and Pueblo to avoid the traffic as much as possible. That seems like a decent area.

Hopefully you didn't stop! Lot's of nicer areas other than Alamosa and Pueblo in Colorado. Pueblo has a super high homicide rate - lots of gang activity. Alamosa, is a farming/tourist stop in the middle of nowhere but they do have a good motocross track!
Last edited by: summitt: Aug 30, 17 13:30
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I live in Colorado Springs and it meets everything on your list except for maybe #3. I'm not familiar with the local pay rate for your fields.

It seems most of the options fall pretty short of #3. Places listed here are probably better for folks in their 50's, who are nearing retirement. The couple is making 270K in their 30's. Replacing that level of income and earnings potential (or even coming close) isn't trivial. Of course, leaving the rat race may be the best choice for other reasons (where is our turkey farmer?).
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: spudone: Aug 30, 17 13:39
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
We came back thru Alamosa and Pueblo to avoid the traffic as much as possible. That seems like a decent area.

Hopefully you didn't stop! Lot's of nicer areas other than Alamosa and Pueblo in Colorado. Pueblo has a super high homicide rate - lots of gang activity. Alamosa, is a farming/tourist stop in the middle of nowhere but they do have a good motocross track!

Did not stop in either location. I meant the Alamosa area seemed nice driving through. Pueblo on the other hand looks like the armpit of CO.
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
summitt wrote:
Tri2HaveFun wrote:

A traffic nightmare compared to Denver a few years ago, or a traffic nightmare compared to SoCal? :)

It's all relative.

I think I25 through town is just has bad as many highways in LA. They just have more lanes in LA. I was just in LA to look at colleges and pretty much started near LAX then north and then as far east in LA you can go (Redlands), down to Orange, Irvine and finished at University of San Diego. Crap load of driving but it seemed to move, albeit very slow at times.
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
summitt wrote:
Tri2HaveFun wrote:

A traffic nightmare compared to Denver a few years ago, or a traffic nightmare compared to SoCal? :)

It's all relative.

It is all relative ... I used to visit CA and the Seattle area quite a bit. Traffic in both were orders of magnitude worse than Denver. Boston, Atlanta, NYC, DC, Chicago ... all significantly worse than Denver as well.

drn92
Quote Reply

Prev Next