Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Western US relocation Options
Quote | Reply
My wife and I are at a crossroads, we are trying to figure out where to settle while making the least amount of compromises.

We are 35, no kids yet, but hope to have one in the next few years.
She works in digital marketing, and I work in corporate finance.
We currently live in Livermore, CA but we each commute > 50 miles one way in opposite directions.

So this is what we are looking for (in no particular order):
1) Stay west of Texas
2) Commute < 30 minutes one way
3) At least one of us needs a good job. All in w/ bonus right now we are combined 270K gross, so would like to end up in an area where we can gross 150ish combined
4) Would like a healthy housing market in the 350-550K range, preferably one with a bit of character (not keen on mass subdivisions)
5) Active culture as we are still training and racing triathlon, etc.
6) Decent airport access as our families live back east and we do like to travel for races & non-races alike.
7) Natural beauty would be great, we have been spoiled by that here in Livermore.
8) Not afraid of heat or cold, but would like to avoid the extremes
9)Ideally not in California/Oregon due to tax rates

We are looking beyond the cliche'd spots of Boulder, Portland, Bend, etc. so please no recommendations for these locations. Here are a few others we have put on the radar. I do not know much about really any of these places save their geography and a quick browse of realtor.com. What else am I missing?

Boise, ID
Spokane, WA
Carson City, NV
Colorado Springs, CO
Flagstaff, AZ
Albuquerque, NM
Ft Collins, CO
Salt Lake

Anyone want to share experiences of making a big life change from a major market to a quieter pace of life?
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the list of cities below, you left out all the big cities between California and Texas. Like Denver and Phoenix. So I'd say that one of your requirements is also a smaller/mid-sized city?

Denver was my first thought, only for the larger job market opportunities.

A long time ago, when my wife and I relocated, one of us went ahead and got the first job. Lived in short term housing. Then when the anchor job was secured, the other spouse quite their job and followed with the and kids.

You all may not need to do that, but If you are at all concerned about cash flow or being able to secure decent employment, that is an option to consider.

Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah i guess i should have said mid-sized to smaller cities. I am currently looking in Denver/Boulder, because my wife's job may actually be moving to Boulder, but if her company chooses another town then we are faced with this situation. If her company doesn't move her to Boulder, then Denver/Boulder is less compelling because we don't want to live in the Broomfield/Westminster area, rather would prefer to live in Boulder County, which comes at a price premium (generally speaking), and that is a premium we may not be able to afford if she has to take lesser employment. We like Phoenix when we visit, but that is always in Jan/Feb, and we get tired of the 10-15 100+ degree days we experience in the East Bay, an entire season of that would be difficult
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is Nevada an option? It's not just about gambling anymore.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well Spokane made your list, so I've give a shout out for good old Spokaloo. You've already mentioned housing and climate, and Spokane scores very well in these areas. While Spokane has definitely felt the housing squeeze that most of the country is experiencing, it's nothing like the really hot larger markets like Seattle.

We have four distinct seasons and aren't prone to huge natural disasters like floods, earthquakes, tornadoes and hurricanes. We do get wildfires and this winter we had a ton of snow. We sit on a large aquifer, so our water supply looks stable.

And as far as having moved from a major market, I'm like many from this area that moved away to major markets (especially Seattle), and came back. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:

Yes. I initially called out Carson City, admittedly I know nothing of the town. All I know it is < 50 miles from lake tahoe and that would make my wife very happy. Housing looks to be affordable, but uncertain as to what industry is there, though as the state capital there has to be something going on in that regard.
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zed thanks for the comments on Spokane! We raced CDA 70.3 in June and loved the greater area. Many said good things about Spokane, and we did hear you can still get a little something for your housing dollar. I think that is a compelling option!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tacoma, WA (seriously)

Don't get a job in Seattle and commute from Tacoma though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Durango, CO
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [Trash_Panda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't see you guys finding 2 good jobs in Carson city or Flagstaff. (Or it might take several years). There just aren't that many good jobs in either place

Why not add...
Tucson (heat)
Reno
Anchorage (cold)

For the best climate and outdoor recreation opportunities in the U.S:
1) Silver city, NM
2) Sierra Vista, AZ
3) Bisbee, AZ
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Aug 28, 17 15:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

3) At least one of us needs a good job. All in w/ bonus right now we are combined 270K gross, so would like to end up in an area where we can gross 150ish combined

Yikes, that is a big drop! Do you own your home in Livermore (any equity)? I wouldn't kick out Oregon (or any location) due to taxes, if you are going to take that kind of a monster hit on income. If you can find good jobs in a low tax area, fine, but that is always less important than getting good job(s).

Add: If Livermore is a problem (heat), then Phoenix is out!
Last edited by: oldandslow: Aug 28, 17 15:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Boise, ID is full of rednecks, skinheads, ignorant no good fools, and whores. Do not under any circumstance consider moving to Idaho!

We also have a standing order from the Governor to repel the Californian incursion, shoot on site orders have been issued.
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Yikes, that is a big drop! Do you own your home in Livermore (any equity)? I wouldn't kick out Oregon (or any location) due to taxes, if you are going to take that kind of a monster hit on income. If you can find good jobs in a low tax area, fine, but that is always less important than getting good job(s).

Add: If Livermore is a problem (heat), then Phoenix is out!

No we do not own, part of why we need to leave, the cost to enter the housing market for anything decent and remodeled is well north of $800K.

Fair point about the tax differences, and frankly if we were to take a huge pay cut that would be less of an issue anyways. I know that sort of pay cut sounds like a lot, and it is a SWAG admittedly, but when you consider what we spend on commuting (gas, tolls, oil changes), California income tax (9.3%), general cost of living in East Bay, it really adds up. I would love to be closer to the $200K level post move. Ideally one of us would maintain our pay rate, and the other takes a moderate cut (we are equal earners now), time will tell what that looks like.
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:

Boise, ID is full of rednecks, skinheads, ignorant no good fools, and whores. Do not under any circumstance consider moving to Idaho!

We also have a standing order from the Governor to repel the Californian incursion, shoot on site orders have been issued.

This is excellent news.. we are rednecks from Jawja. and attended public school there, a state ranked in the bottom 3-4, so we are also ignorant. Sounds like a winner.
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [Trash_Panda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trash_Panda wrote:
Durango, CO

They better hope for telecommuting jobs.

Of those you listed I would choose Salt Lake City. Growing economy, job opportunities, housing market still reasonable, good weather, quick access to the mountains, good weather. The airport is convenient and accessible and the commute won't be bad, good freeway and train system. Lots of active people, and you won't feel too out of place. There are a lot of Californians moving that direction.

Denver, Boulder, Ft. Collins, jobs yes. Commutes yes. And if you like the mountains, get used to spending a lot of time in your car. Colorado is overrun. I've told my wife, if we ever have to move back to the city Denver is out. We'll head west to Salt Lake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milkman1982 wrote:
jkca1 wrote:

Yes. I initially called out Carson City, admittedly I know nothing of the town. All I know it is < 50 miles from lake tahoe and that would make my wife very happy. Housing looks to be affordable, but uncertain as to what industry is there, though as the state capital there has to be something going on in that regard.

I had a friend that lived in South Lake. They mentioned going to Carson City for Costco, shopping, and meth heads. I think meth heads abound everywhere, but he did not make it out to sound like a generally nice place to reside and in addition to being more desert-y. But, he could get jaded pretty quick, and I've never been through Carson City. They moved close to Reno (here) from South Lake. Colleagues of mine reside in this area too. I think I would personally consider this area if I could not afford to find housing in Incline Village.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
Trash_Panda wrote:
Durango, CO

Of those you listed I would choose Salt Lake City. Growing economy, job opportunities, housing market still reasonable, good weather, quick access to the mountains, good weather. The airport is convenient and accessible and the commute won't be bad, good freeway and train system. Lots of active people, and you won't feel too out of place. There are a lot of Californians moving that direction.

Denver, Boulder, Ft. Collins, jobs yes. Commutes yes. And if you like the mountains, get used to spending a lot of time in your car. Colorado is overrun. I've told my wife, if we ever have to move back to the city Denver is out. We'll head west to Salt Lake.

Colorado is getting a bit crowded. I-70 up to the mountains can be challenging on most weekend. But, pretty good weather year-round and the housing is not quite as bad as CA (except Boulder and the mountain towns).

You could try asking your current company if they would be willing to let you work remote. Might be an easy transition to a new location and give you a little flexibility on income for a bit.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bellingham.

Not sure why bend is off your lost, it would be top 3 on mine.
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:

Were you trying to discourage people from moving there? If so, you might want to edit your list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I would think Fort Collins and Spokane would make good options, check out Bozeman or Missoula Montana.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in Brentwood, just over Vasco Rd from Livermore. That area has changed so much from when I lived there! I ended up moving to ski towns in Colorado. One of my brothers moved down to Carlsbad for many years and then they moved to Meridian, Id (basically Boise). They absolutely LOVE IT. They've been there at least 10 years and won't ever move back (or away for that matter).

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Western US relocation Options [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:
jwbeuk wrote:
Trash_Panda wrote:
Durango, CO

Colorado is getting a bit crowded. I-70 up to the mountains can be challenging on most weekend. But, pretty good weather year-round and the housing is not quite as bad as CA (except Boulder and the mountain towns).

You could try asking your current company if they would be willing to let you work remote. Might be an easy transition to a new location and give you a little flexibility on income for a bit.

drn92

I70 was challenging 20 years ago. Today it is a parking lot. Even 285 has become a problem on weekends. For decades Colorado's leadership closed their eyes and ignored the growth. The entire Front Range just cannot handle the number of people who have moved in and unless some hard decisions are made, it is only going to get worse. Adding a lane and charging tolls is not going to improve a worsening situation. Colorado should have accepted the Winter Olympics '76 when they had the chance. One of the reasons SLC has the infrastructure they have is due to hosting.

A lot of those who have moved in do not know any better. I can tell you that 20 and 30 years ago Colorado had the chance to plan accordingly. It was obvious, at least 20 years ago what was coming. Unless you are forced into the Boulder area, I would ignore the Colorado Front Range.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we were touring the front range area a few weeks ago. We decided that it is either boulder county or bust for that corridor. Boulder/Louisville/Niwot, but aside from that it was too much sprawl for us.

I like the idea of SLC if I can figure out the job front. I think it has a lot of what Colorado has to offer but at a bit lower price point and also a bit below the radar on the "hip factor". Also being a delta hub is a huge plus

Thank you everyone for the great replies and suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No disagreement here. We do not even ski in Summit County/Vail anymore due to traffic, except for the occasional weekday trip. We plan to be here for at least 8 more years, hopefully some of the infrastructure improvements will work out and ease the congestion.

However, if your job is telecommute friendly or if you can live relatively close to work (or light rail is convenient) then the Front Range is a pretty sweet place to spend time.

Speaking of SLC, they've done a great job of building out infrastructure (it was a total PITA while the construction was underway) but they have some challenges as well. There are big challenges geographically for future growth and they have a problem with homeless in the downtown area that no one seems to want to solve.

SLC is my personal top choice for a larger city in the West, but there are a bunch of smaller cities I would pick if cost (and work) were no object.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious, why a western state if you family is in the east? Having close family is really nice when you start to have kids.

And with you income $800k is well within your price range. At about 3X income it would be the same if you moved to somewhere else with $400k houses while you make $150k.
Quote Reply

Prev Next