Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump reverses Obama policy on militarization of police... [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in a larger metro area. I assume that there are SWAT teams and lots of access. Moreover, everyone here knows that. That doesn't mean that the average traffic cop utilizes it on a regular basis. Would it make day-to-day policing more effective?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump reverses Obama policy on militarization of police... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
There is no PCH in Santa Barbara.

I'll take the (off-topic-ish) bait.. isn't the 1/101 PCH?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump reverses Obama policy on militarization of police... [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Exactly. If we're OK with oceans of high capacity semiautomatic weapons, we have to expect law enforcement to protect themselves accordingly.

The crux of the issue isn't what equipment LE has access to, but how they deploy it.

That is really it. I'm not against the cops having access to armored personnel carriers, vests, lots of fire power, etc.

I am against them wanting to bring their toys out to play when they aren't needed.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump reverses Obama policy on militarization of police... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Duffy wrote:
There is no PCH in Santa Barbara.

I'll take the (off-topic-ish) bait.. isn't the 1/101 PCH?

The 1 and 101 combine through SB so technically, yes. But the stretch of the 101 through SB proper is off limits to cyclists.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Trump reverses Obama policy on militarization of police... [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem with arming the Police with military equipment is that sooner or later they'll wanna use it. The events where a heavy armament is needed and SWAT is unavailable are rare. But civil disobedience is not. And when you get pictures of cops and regular civilians interacting like the photo below, no one wins.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Trump reverses Obama policy on militarization of police... [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
The problem with arming the Police with military equipment is that sooner or later they'll wanna use it. The events where a heavy armament is needed and SWAT is unavailable are rare. But civil disobedience is not. And when you get pictures of cops and regular civilians interacting like the photo below, no one wins.

That would have made a great NWA single sleeve.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump reverses Obama policy on militarization of police... [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
I live in a larger metro area. I assume that there are SWAT teams and lots of access. Moreover, everyone here knows that. That doesn't mean that the average traffic cop utilizes it on a regular basis. Would it make day-to-day policing more effective?

Well, you know what happens when you do that ...

Not everyone lives in a "larger metro area," and many "larger metro areas" do not have those resources or equipment.

We are not talking about putting "the average traffic cop" in an up-armored HMMV.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Trump reverses Obama policy on militarization of police... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Police inaction (in addition to a scared, crazy, idiot driver) is what got that chick killed in Charlottesville.

Both of those are pure speculation. Particularly the "scared" part. That was a 4chan-originated narrative that came out immediately after the event, and has little substantiation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
mck414 wrote:
Maybe if people fucking behaved the police would feel the need to roll up armored to the teeth. Just sayin.

ETA: I'm not for arming the local police into a small armed force, but I can understand their side of it.

What's point of armoring up when they stand by and watch as Antifa beats people in the streets.

Police inaction (in addition to a scared, crazy, idiot driver) is what got that chick killed in Charlottesville.

Our local police force has this...

Why? Our biggest crime problem here is public intoxication.

Have they used it in an abusive manner? Not a flame; a sincere question.

I'm torn. Because we are, domestically at least, a nation of cops and not soldiers, I want the cops to be able to check any threat. That said, they shouldn't roll around willy nilly in armored vehicles. Similarly, I'm worried by cops in body armor, fatigues, American flag-patched lightweight helmets, and M-4s. I even saw one dressed like that but he also had an OD green shemagh on his shoulders, just above his "POLICE" patch on his chest plate. Those cops look like they never really came back from Iraq or Afghanistan.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Trump reverses Obama policy on militarization of police... [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They park it conspicuously in downtown locations during 4th of July, Fiesta (a local week long festival of sorts), cinco de mayo, New Year's Eve, etc.

Like I said, public intoxication is a problem that apparently requires an armored vehicle.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
They park it conspicuously in downtown locations during 4th of July, Fiesta (a local week long festival of sorts), cinco de mayo, New Year's Eve, etc.
Like I said, public intoxication is a problem that apparently requires an armored vehicle.

There's gotta be a balance somewhere. I can see an argument that its presence at things like Fiesta is not directed at the drunks, but, rather, it's directed someone(s) thinking they're going to commit violence upon the crowd, like that asshole in Isla Vista in 2014.

On the other hand, I can't imagine that Santa Barbara PD isn't well funded, and can't afford a heavy foot-patrol presence on those days.

Again, I'm torn. I'm more scared of the cops dressed as downrange SF guys than I am of an armored vehicle in the fleet.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Yes, because nothing ever happens downtown when masses assemble, like, oh, I dunno, a sniper shooting cops.

That's crazy talk ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Trump reverses Obama policy on militarization of police... [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Yes, because nothing ever happens downtown when masses assemble, like, oh, I dunno, a sniper shooting cops.

That's crazy talk ...

Yeah, I'm sure parking an armored car on State Street has deterred numerous sniper attacks over the years. That coupled with our gun laws, no wonder this city is so safe.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most decent sized agencies have the vehicle that has been pictured in this thread. It is a LENCO Bearcat. Officers need such equipment to respond to certain situations. The key is "what/when" situations deserve such equipment, and courts have ruled that even displaying such equipment is a level of "use of force". I have only seen one change since the Obama thing came out and that was FT Hood was dumping a ton of their old AMRAPS and similar armored personal carriers, basically any LEO agency could pick up one and take it home. Just had transport it. That stopped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
JSA wrote:
Duffy wrote:

That's crazy talk ...

Yeah, I'm sure parking an armored car on State Street has deterred numerous sniper attacks over the years. That coupled with our gun laws, no wonder this city is so safe.

We'll never know. But, we have seen first hand what happens to police officers when they are out gunned and unprotected.

Look, I know you hate cops. We get it. But your irrational paranoia is about that last thing that should be setting policy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't hate cops.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I don't hate cops.

You hide that sentiment very well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Duffy wrote:
I don't hate cops.

I have some good friends who are cops.

You just defend everything Trump does.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Aug 28, 17 15:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
JSA wrote:
Duffy wrote:
I don't hate cops.

That must be it ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Duffy wrote:
JSA wrote:
Duffy wrote:
I don't hate cops.

That must be it ...

That's what slowxe told me.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Trump reverses Obama policy on militarization of police... [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That vehicle is almost identical to the APC we used in Charleston County where I worked as a S.W.A.T. medic. It's basically a bullet-resistant all-terrain SUV that's used for keeping people like me close to the danger zone but out of harm's way so we can provide life saving treatment for officers and citizens during hostage situations, live shooter situations (like the one there last week), etc. without unnecessary delay that can cost life and limb.

But it's scary looking, so I guess it should probably go.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Aug 28, 17 15:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Her name was Heather Heyer. I've attached a link so you can learn a little bit about her, but I suppose some people will just claim it's fake news.

https://www.nytimes.com/...tesville-victim.html

3SIXTY5cycling.com
Quote Reply
Re: Trump reverses Obama policy on militarization of police... [hillier99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hillier99 wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Her name was Heather Heyer. I've attached a link so you can learn a little bit about her, but I suppose some people will just claim it's fake news.

Why cop an attitude? Friend of yours?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
hillier99 wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Because he is morally superior to you and has a heart whereas you have a stone...you insensitive racist, woman hater.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Trump reverses Obama policy on militarization of police... [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:
Duffy wrote:
hillier99 wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Because he is morally superior to you and has a heart whereas you have a stone...you insensitive racist, woman hater.

Greg

I'm sure he also posted "thoughts and prayers" on his Facebook page. He's so good.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next