Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing shirtless
Quote | Reply
Is there some rules about racing shirtless? I have been out of tri circle for quite a while but seem to recall some rule, maybe even a discussion here about some athletes being DQ-ed because their zipper was too low. There is a photo of Morgan Pearson on the front page of the ST crossing the finish line shirtless. Have the rules changed?

Ad Muncher
Quote Reply
Re: Racing shirtless [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a WTC rule, ITU also, I think. There is no USAT rule about it.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's apparently a WTC point of emphasis this year that you can't unzip your top too far. Because on a hot day that's apparently an even bigger advantage than drafting on the bike.

USAT leaves it up to the individual races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's all about making things fair between the men & the women. If they can't run topless, why should the men be able to run topless?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing shirtless [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's all about making things fair between the men & the women. If they can't run topless, why should the men be able to run topless?

Making the men wear tops as well is not the best solution to this problem.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always ask the race director. At USAT Collegiate Nationals they penalize you 2 minutes if you do
Quote Reply
Re: Racing shirtless [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if a guy raced a WTC event in a sports bra and shorts, would he be DQed?

Like a "Sports-Bro" or "PerforManzier"
Quote Reply
Re: Racing shirtless [Swim_Bike_Rum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if a guy raced a WTC event in a sports bra and shorts, would he be DQed?

Like a "Sports-Bro" or "PerforManzier"
=================
On the bike and run, the rules are the same (in WTC events):

(g) Cycling/running with a bare torso is prohibited. Athletes must wear a shirt, jersey, or sport-top at all times during the cycling/running segment of the Race. (1 min penalty, DSQ if not remedied promptly)
(h) Uniforms with a front zip must not be undone below the point of the end of the breastbone (sternum); (DSQ if not remedied promptly)

So yes, a guy could wear a sports bra although I guess you could debate the definition of a "sport-top".
Quote Reply
Re: Racing shirtless [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may have to copyright Performanzier then.

In all seriousness though; I'm surprised more guys aren't pushing the limit of "sports top" per the regs (or why nobody has marketed such things). Especially for hotter WTC events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to see shirtless guy take the overall title at nats. Many guys on my local tri team have gone from the sleeveless one piece to the one piece with short sleeves, which appeared to be a trend among elites in Kona the past couple of years. Are the short-sleeved trisuits being sold now generally cooler than sleeveless suits or is this advantage limited to specific fabrics?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing shirtless [beastofbourbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beastofbourbon wrote:
It's apparently a WTC point of emphasis this year that you can't unzip your top too far. Because on a hot day that's apparently an even bigger advantage than drafting on the bike.

USAT leaves it up to the individual races.

At a race this spring I had an official tell me to "zip up my suit" 3 times. I was overheating. I zipped it up and once he biked past I zipped it down again. On the third time he told me if he passed again and it was down I would be DQd.
I wish I had enough energy at the time to point out that he could pretty clearly see my D**k impression through my rather see through suit, and here he was worrying about the couple inches of my chest showing..

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Last edited by: Joshawa: Aug 14, 17 11:14
Quote Reply
Re: Racing shirtless [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Great to see shirtless guy take the overall title at nats. Many guys on my local tri team have gone from the sleeveless one piece to the one piece with short sleeves, which appeared to be a trend among elites in Kona the past couple of years. Are the short-sleeved trisuits being sold now generally cooler than sleeveless suits or is this advantage limited to specific fabrics?

Reasons for more aero on bike and more advertising space for suit maker / athlete. You don't see it guys using them
Quote Reply
Re: Racing shirtless [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sun protection is a huge benefit of the sleeved kits. Also.... skin is slow.

blog
Quote Reply