Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I was a boy scout...were you... [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
Wouldn't holding the person in the office of president to a set of standards standards raise the respect the office itself is given?

The two ideas are not mutually exclusive.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: I was a boy scout...were you... [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair play.
Quote Reply
Re: I was a boy scout...were you... [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you think will happen on a trip without you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Tibbsy wrote:
Damn straight.

Good luck with that, given that basically any President has between 50-60% of the public who disagrees with or doesn't like him at any given time.

How about this take?

If Trump doesn't respect the roffice of the President then why should anyone else?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Jul 25, 17 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: I was a boy scout...were you... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because the position is more important than the person holding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
Because the position is more important than the person holding.

That's all well and good. Then get him out of there and respect the position properly by voting in someone who isn't a ghoul.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Tibbsy wrote:
Damn straight.

Good luck with that, given that basically any President has between 50-60% of the public who disagrees with or doesn't like him at any given time.

How about this take?

If Trump doesn't respect the roffice of the President then why should anyone else?

Because, presumably, grown adults aren't required to cater to the lowest common denominator. Because, it's respect for the office that should prompt people to make a better choice next time (if they think Pres Trump is a poor choice), or to hold the President to a standard when he speaks or makes policy. Because, Pres Trump will not be in office forever, and it's better to maintain a sense of respect for the fundamental structures of our nation, and to teach that to our children.

Etc, etc, etc. Really, any number of reasons that a thoughtful adult shouldn't need to have another person explain to him.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Etc, etc, etc. Really, any number of reasons that a thoughtful adult shouldn't need to have another person explain to him. "

Damn!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Etc, etc, etc. Really, any number of reasons that a thoughtful adult shouldn't need to have another person explain to him. "

Damn!

Slowguy has a talent for comments like that...it's something you can't teach.

Quote Reply
Re: I was a boy scout...were you... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a beautiful condescending attitude that Naval officers excel at. slowguy gets tired of you and says, "Fuck you. You are an irrational child and I am the only adult around here." but in a really shitty way. At that point you can keep arguing or realise the ego wall isn't worth fighting anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:

Damn!

Meh. There are two things you will always see from slowguy.

1. He will be condescending.
2. Even if he agrees with you, the most you'll ever get out of him is "I don't disagree".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
It's a beautiful condescending attitude that Naval officers excel at. slowguy gets tired of you and says, "Fuck you. You are an irrational child and I am the only adult around here." but in a really shitty way. At that point you can keep arguing or realise the ego wall isn't worth fighting anymore.

Really? I offered BLeP at least three reasons why the office should be respected. I offered you several posts worth of discussion. It's honestly a little mind blowing that the two of you apparently don't think the office of the chief executive of a country deserves respect, but I still engaged you in discussion about the topic. I never suggested that I'm the only adult in the room, because there are plenty, but you know damn well that you tend to be one of the first to adopt childish positions. If having your position questioned seems to you to be me setting up a wall of ego, then I'd suggest that you might want to step back and think it through a little harder.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Tibbsy wrote:

Damn!

2. Even if he agrees with you, the most you'll ever get out of him is "I don't disagree".

Ok, BLeP, feel free to offer anything else besides whining and a childish statement. Did you really need someone to give you reasons why it might be good to respect the office of the Presidency? I doubt that you did.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Tibbsy wrote:

Damn!

Ok, BLeP, feel free to offer anything else besides whining and a childish statement. Did you really need someone to give you reasons why it might be good to respect the office of the Presidency? I doubt that you did.

I don't disagree. :)

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have the charming ability to not see the other person's point of you then you dispatch with some kind of comment about being adult or something. I admire you for it. You are set firm in your ways and have the flexibility of of diamonds. It's your thing and you should embrace it.
Quote Reply
Re: I was a boy scout...were you... [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is with your obsession over Trump?

It's borderline creepy.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: I was a boy scout...were you... [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:

It's borderline creepy.

It's kind of like our fascination with looking at the car wreck as you pass by in the open lane . . . you don't REALLY want to look, but you just can't help yourself.

At least, that's what I imagine is going through his brain.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: I was a boy scout...were you... [tgrunnin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgrunnin wrote:
What do you think will happen on a trip without you?

It's not what will happen it's what could happen.

http://www.vocativ.com/...r-boy-scout-leaders/

http://www.nj.com/...boy_scout_perve.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because, presumably, grown adults aren't required to cater to the lowest common denominator. Because, it's respect for the office that should prompt people to make a better choice next time (if they think Pres Trump is a poor choice), or to hold the President to a standard when he speaks or makes policy. Because, Pres Trump will not be in office forever, and it's better to maintain a sense of respect for the fundamental structures of our nation, and to teach that to our children.

We may disagree on things but THIS is the way that it needs to be looked at.

I sense we need better course in basic civics in our schools for young people. About the way government works, and what get's done. There is so much of - all politicians are liars and bums these days - yet, each elected offcial, plays a direct and indirect role in our lives. It's remarkable to me the disconnect.

Some good friends of mine have gone on to elected political life/work in Canada. Despite what the general public may think, it's an almost 24/7 job, that is totally precarious. You are potentially completely out of work at every election. Few average-joes would ever sign up for something like that - trading in their straight-forward 9/5 jobs. In fact, two of the guys that I know who have gone into politics took a PAY-CUT to be an elected offcial!

Agreed - Trump was democratically and fairly elected ( we hope), and what's done is done. He's making his own bed now, and the mid-terms in 2018 and the full federal election in 2020, will be the next time, that the general public and individual citizens, will officially be able to voice their opinion in the most powerful way they can - by voting!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: I was a boy scout...were you... [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So no babysitter, no child care worker, no aunt or uncle,no neighbor,no boyfriend for mom, no mom or dad,... unless you are there too?

Because those are all more likely to happen than a scout leader.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You do realize that Trump has been the headline on newscasts, newspapers, social media and radio every single day for the past 2 years, right? A lot of that is Trump himself, constantly on twitter to get those headlines and keep the conversation about him.

And now you call out someone for being obsessed with Trump?

Quote Reply
Re: I was a boy scout...were you... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

You do realize that Trump has been the headline on newscasts, newspapers, social media and radio every single day for the past 2 years, right? A lot of that is Trump himself, constantly on twitter to get those headlines and keep the conversation about him.

And now you call out someone for being obsessed with Trump?

Yes, I don't get it. I don't particularly like the guy either, Trump that is. But I'm not going to constantly post threads about him. Plus Cerveloguy is Canadian right? So it's not like he should be pissed about election results. I just don't understand being obsessed with Trump. You yourself point out that's a failing of Trumps, constantly needs to be in the headlines. But then don't question someone constantly creating headlines for him? If it's just for discussion or for shits and giggles so be it. I'm curious

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have subjects you are interested in. cerveloguy's is Trump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
You have subjects you are interested in. cerveloguy's is Trump.

Maybe that's it, I just cant' fathom being that interested in Trump.

Quote Reply

Prev Next