Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Water running - seriously skeptical here
Quote | Reply
Long-time lifelong runner here. Reduced my run mileage a lot around April, and managed to mildly strain my Achilles during a race 2 weeks ago, badly enough that it limits my running to < 4 miles right now before I have to stop because of it.

I'm on a family vacation right now at a lake-house rental, so I took the opportunity to bring a swim tether (belt attached to a latex stretch cord with a loop) to do some stationary swimming, as the last time I came here, I was looking forward to doing longer distance swims, but turns out the boat traffic on the lake is heavy enough that I couldn't go more than 40m out without worrying about them, and would always feel like I was going too far out.

I decided this would be the perfect time to try out water running, for real. The swim belt tether works great attached to the metal small boat dock they have and I found that wearing my actual running sneakers was helpful as the ground is rocky and uneven. The lake is nice because you can control depth from shallow to all the way over your head as you want, unlike pools, which in my area are inevitably too shallow.

I've now done 3 hours of water running, and I gotta say - I'm really skeptical it's all that the youtube videos and coaches make it out to be. I'm sure I'm doing it right as well - good posture, good hip drive like sprinting, and good fast cadence. I can get myself huffing and puffing into my red zone in less than a minute, but the lack of impact is so bizarre for running that I can't imagine that this would work as a true running substitute. At best, it'll preserve what cardio you need for running if you push hard in the water, and it definitely trains your hip flexors (that raise your knees) better than land running. But when was the last time your hip flexors were the limiting muscle in your chain of running muscles? It barely touches the quads and calves and glutes needed for fast running compared to the load required on roads.

At least thus far, it seems to me that straight-up cycling would be a much better alternative than water running, unless you're a highly competitive pure runner that is trying to avoid quad/glute muscle buildup that you might get from cycling a lot.

I'm trying to reconcile my views and experience with the large volume of positive reviews of water running out there, but right now, water running seems like a giant waste of time as a triathlete who can cycle as an alternative. I certainly would expect to totally suck at running on the road if I took 3 weeks off road running and just water ran; I'd predict it would be nearly as close to as if I took those 3 weeks entirely off and did aerobics classes for the cardio benefit.

I can't believe the stories i've heard of how some women elite marathoners just water ran when they were injured and immediately came back just as fast - they MUST have been running on the road as well but with less volume than their normal 100+ mpw.

Despite all this negativity I have toward water running, I've got at LEAST 7 hours more of water running this week with the same setup. My 6-year old daughter loves playing in the lake and I'm on daddy duty watching her for most of the time she's out there - and she wants me to be in the water (or else she starts sulking); I usually play with her for 1-2 hours and then water run 1-2 hours while watching her at the same time - water running does work well for child watch multitasking if your kid can at least swim on their own.

comments and experiences with positives and negatives of water running welcomed here!

(As an aside that will probably be for a later thread - tethered swimming seems legit to me. It's crazy boring, and you get this weird sensation of actually going backwards for the first 15 mins even if you're not, but it works for sure. In my order or preference though, it would be pool, then Vasa, and then as a last resort, tethered swimming.)
Last edited by: lightheir: Jul 18, 17 7:27
Quote Reply
Re: Water running - seriously skeptical here [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We use an underwater treadmill which I'm sure is much different than what you experienced. I've also ran in pools and such while injured and to be honest I felt it was a good alternative. I also think cycling is just as good but there are many runners who do not like the idea of cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Water running - seriously skeptical here [Kylek42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kylek42 wrote:
We use an underwater treadmill which I'm sure is much different than what you experienced. I've also ran in pools and such while injured and to be honest I felt it was a good alternative. I also think cycling is just as good but there are many runners who do not like the idea of cycling.

I saw an interesting video of Alberto Salazar on youtube on one of those.

When you ran in a pool, how deep was the water - were you actually running forwards while ON the bottom, or were you kind of running in place with a fast cadence?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Kylek42 wrote:

I saw an interesting video of Alberto Salazar on youtube on one of those.

When you ran in a pool, how deep was the water - were you actually running forwards while ON the bottom, or were you kind of running in place with a fast cadence?

The pool was approximately 4 feet and I was running on the bottom in forward motion. I really emphasized the knee lift to get that quad burn and then pushed off hard to get the calf muscle. I was in the pool cause of a knee injury so I just ran in the pool to prevent the impact of hitting the hard roads. When watching other athletes on the water treadmill they are usually running pretty relaxed but go for a good hour at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First let me commend your ability to endure the excruciating boredom of aqua jogging for two hours.

I have always been skeptical of aqua jogging as well. In college when I got injured I would do it, but I felt like it was as dissimilar from land running as cycling or using the elliptical is. Yes, your posture is similar to land running while aqua jogging, but I'm not convinced the underwater stride doesn't change drastically. The most important (arguably) and powerful component of running is the push off phase, which is pretty much eliminated in aqua jogging. From a technique perspective, I feel like the timing of muscle engagement while running is inextricable with the timing of the foot strike, the Achilles loading, forward momentum, etc. You don't have any of this while aqua jogging, plus you have the strange variable of overcoming water resistance, so I'm not sure aqua jogging is superior to, say, the elliptical insofar as mimicking the neuromuscular components of land running. Then again I could just be trying to justify my hatred for aqua jogging.

If you can still run 3-4 miles, I think you're in a good place to ditch aqua jogging while still preserving run fitness. I personally would run a bit and look at it as an opportunity to increase cycling and swimming volume.
Last edited by: Conradz: Jul 18, 17 8:48
Quote Reply
Re: Water running - seriously skeptical here [Conradz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely agree. Well said.

I'm doing a lot now because I have nothing else to do in the water while watching my girl for 4 hours - I can't play with her that long!

Am still running 1-3 miles on top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been injured for the last 5 weeks (stress fx). And I've been water running a bit. Aside from the boredom, I just don't see that it is helping me as much as I've heard it should. It's totally possible I'm not doing it right, but it really can't be that hard. My issue is I just can't get my heart rate up over about 110 bpm. So I'm biking a whole lot more and more swimming. But I agree w you, I'm not a true believer in aqua running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a believer in deep water running.

Got a stress fracture mid season years ago and used the Pfitzinger water running plan do save my late season race. When I came back I had my speed but had a much longer recovery after my race due to the lack of impact from 8 weeks of water running.

(It's also a great excuse to get more swimming in.)
Quote Reply
Re: Water running - seriously skeptical here [Chucifer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where did you find that Pfitz plan? I'd love to see it if you still have it available.
thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Water running - seriously skeptical here [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://kemibe.com/...breports/water.shtml

I started somewhere around week 4 or 5 due to my fitness level and repeated it a few weeks before moving on.

I would also recommend not using a floatation belt as that can chafe. My preferred method was to hug a kick board.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Water running - seriously skeptical here [Chucifer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
very helpful
thanks very much!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Came back from Kona legs destroyed. Switch to the pool for over a month was a great help
Quote Reply