Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is This a Refreshed or Redesigned Ford Explorer (Looks Like One to Me)? [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But why is a pickup better for towing than an SUV built on a pickup chassis?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Is This a Refreshed or Redesigned Ford Explorer (Looks Like One to Me)? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
can't carry the kids and dog in a crappy pickup (I had one). A "proper" SUV is built on a pickup chassis, but more interior room. more towing capacity than a minivan.

Minivan will pull a trailer up to a certain (not very large) size.

Looks like camper trailers weigh more than I thought. So, no a minivan would not work for most trailers (but it will work for most boats)

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Jul 5, 17 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: Is This a Refreshed or Redesigned Ford Explorer (Looks Like One to Me)? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would actually prefer a minivan. All depends on what style of camper we end up getting. a pop-up would be fine behind a minivan.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Is This a Refreshed or Redesigned Ford Explorer (Looks Like One to Me)? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My brother has a 2017 Honda Odyssey and that thing is lit. Really great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My friends just got a Nissan Pathfinder. I think they said towing was around 6000lbs? Like you said, looks like similar specs to the Nissan frontier, maybe even same engine, just with more interior space.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I would actually prefer a minivan. All depends on what style of camper we end up getting. a pop-up would be fine behind a minivan.

You're ok with the requirement that you turn in your penis in order to buy a minivan? I wouldn't be ok with that. But, hey, not my penis, so do what you want ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Is This a Refreshed or Redesigned Ford Explorer (Looks Like One to Me)? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Is This a Refreshed or Redesigned Ford Explorer (Looks Like One to Me)? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
If I want to haul a camper, 2-3 kids, wife and dog, plus supplies for a 2-5 day camping trip, what would be a better alternative?

Serious question, because I will probably* be trading in the old Civic for something, and one of the requirements of whatever we get next is that it can haul a trailer.

*probably - I've been saying that the Civic will get us through "one more winter" for 5 years now. It just won't die...

We have both an SUV and a 4 door pick up with camper shell. For what you describe we would take the pick up. Mostly because stuff gets dirty and smelly and can go in back of the truck. My SUV is a Hybrid though and has a lower tow rating than a traditional SUV. Either would work- but we would always choose the truck for that job. If we did not have a camper shell I guess we would choose the SUV.
Quote Reply
Re: Is This a Refreshed or Redesigned Ford Explorer (Looks Like One to Me)? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirty and smelly stuff would just stay in the camper (assuming we don't get a pop-up).

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Looks cool, but have they tried opening the rear sliding door...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weight distribution and suspension. A well designed truck is made to carry and tow loads. That is why they suck to drive in. An SUV is designed to tow kinda sorta.
Quote Reply
Re: Is This a Refreshed or Redesigned Ford Explorer (Looks Like One to Me)? [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We aren't talking about towing a 5th wheel or a horse trailer, just a small / medium camp trailer. Kinda / sorta towing is sufficient.

Don't need a vehicle to be best in class at anything, just sufficient for the various things I will ask it to do. which will include hauling 2-3 kids plus dog and wife. Can't do that in a pickup. I can in an SUV.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not saying an SUV can't. It's just to do that it loses ability in other areas. It's a pile of compromise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Don't need a vehicle to be best in class at anything, just sufficient for the various things I will ask it to do. which will include hauling 2-3 kids plus dog and wife. Can't do that in a pickup. I can in an SUV.

This is exactly why SUVs make perfect sense. As a people-hauler, an SUV can do just about anything a minivan can do, plus, you keep to keep your penis if you buy an SUV, unlike what happens when you buy a minivan. As a toy-hauler, an SUV can do just about anything a truck can do. So, you are not giving up or compromising on anything when you buy an SUV.

The only argument I have ever seen regarding SUV vs truck for hauling is that an SUV body has a higher center of gravity than a truck on the same chassis, so the SUV is prone to more bounce and roll, but it is negligible in most cases.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm saying that there is nothing wrong with compromise. Every vehicle ever made is a "compromise" to some degree or the other.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only people driving SUV's are soccer moms...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Could be. Better than minivans. Plus, the husband doesn't have to turn in his penis when he has to bus around the kids.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Could be. Better than minivans. Plus, the husband doesn't have to turn in his penis when he has to bus around the kids.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Jul 5, 17 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
I am not saying an SUV can't. It's just to do that it loses ability in other areas. It's a pile of compromise.

And what's wrong with that? I can get everything I want in a car/truck if I go out and buy 6 different cars/ trucks. Ain't nobody got money/space for that.

Or I can compromise.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/10-sports-cars-that-couldnt-keep-up-with-a-toyota-minivan.html/?a=viewall

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Is This a Refreshed or Redesigned Ford Explorer (Looks Like One to Me)? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do what you need. Buy what you want. Be a thoughtful consumer. Enjoy your purchase. SUVs still suck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love big vans and minivans. They are most dope. I dream of a Ford Transit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:
Do what you need. Buy what you want. Be a thoughtful consumer. Enjoy your purchase. SUVs still suck.

Jack of all trades suck.

My fishing multi tool sucks. Is it the best knife? Nope. Is it the best set of pliers? Nope. It must suck then.

Hot logic.

Quote Reply

Prev Next