Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bret Weinstein on Joe Rogan podcast... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to add that I think we are at a turning point here were even hardcore liberals are asking themselves "what have done".

Maybe. This is the first thread about the insanity going on at our colleges in which they haven't all jumped in and said it was an isolated incident, and it's just a handful of kids being silly, it isn't part of a pattern, and they are sure it's not a widespread problem because they didn't witness this kind of thing when they were studying mechanical engineering 20 years ago.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Bret Weinstein on Joe Rogan podcast... [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but the professor seems to lay more of the blame at the feet of the postmodern movement

You make it sound like liberalism, the PC culture, and the postmodern movement are unrelated phenomena.

If anyone else wants to hear more of Joe Rogan talking about this, they should check out his recent podcast with Jordan Peterson.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Bret Weinstein on Joe Rogan podcast... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<You make it sound like liberalism, the PC culture, and the postmodern movement are unrelated phenomena.>>

They're certainly related but they're not the same thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Bret Weinstein on Joe Rogan podcast... [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Essentially, they are.

Liberalism need not be post modern, but in fact, it currently is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Just wanted to add that I think we are at a turning point here were even hardcore liberals are asking themselves "what have done".

Maybe. This is the first thread about the insanity going on at our colleges in which they haven't all jumped in and said it was an isolated incident, and it's just a handful of kids being silly, it isn't part of a pattern, and they are sure it's not a widespread problem because they didn't witness this kind of thing when they were studying mechanical engineering 20 years ago.

Well...
I've been on University campuses for all of my adult life and I've never personally seen or even been aware of any of the nonsense people post about here. I can't comment on this because I haven't watched the video yet.

Probably the closest I've seen to this rampant liberalism was at the non-religious private University where I work there was a vote by the faculty to remove the God mumbo jumbo from our ceremonies. But it was voted down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<<Essentially, they are.>>

Well, if you say it is, then it must be so. Very postmodern of you ;)

<<Liberalism need not be post modern, but in fact, it currently is.>>

Some strains of liberalism are going down this absurdist, Evergreen-style road. But liberalism isn't one, monolithic thing or idea set, nor is it inseparable from PC culture or postmodernism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My hope is that someday American liberalism gets back to its ideals of equality, free speech and individual liberty to live one's life as we wish.

You left out the key principle on which this monster has turned.

There is no equality or freedom or individual liberty without Justice.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Bret Weinstein on Joe Rogan podcast... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Well...
I've been on University campuses for all of my adult life and I've never personally seen or even been aware of any of the nonsense people post about here. I can't comment on this because I haven't watched the video yet.

Probably the closest I've seen to this rampant liberalism was at the non-religious private University where I work there was a vote by the faculty to remove the God mumbo jumbo from our ceremonies. But it was voted down.

^^ this. I've taught and worked at a very liberal public college - and have colleagues/friends at many others and this story is a tempest in a tea pot. Sure one can find stuff like this (PC gone crazy) if one looks for it, but most schools have social issues like sexual assault, binge drinking, meningitis and etc to worry about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This is the first thread about the insanity going on at our colleges in which they haven't all jumped in and said it was an isolated incident, and it's just a handful of kids being silly, it isn't part of a pattern, and they are sure it's not a widespread problem because they didn't witness this kind of thing when they were studying mechanical engineering 20 years ago.

This is the exception and not the rule, obviously, but to your point, a pot doesn't go from lukewarm to boiling over without reaching the simmering point first.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2:17 in and I've heard passive references to postmodernism and college campuses as soft targets. He did mention a pending course on the subject, but who knows when he hatched that plan.

This place is an oddity. Extremely liberal academic structure with in-state tuition of less than $7k/yr, and a 99% acceptance rate?

Quote Reply
Re: Bret Weinstein on Joe Rogan podcast... [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Extremely liberal academic structure with in-state tuition of less than $7k/yr, and a 99% acceptance rate?

I don't know where I've heard of Evergreen before, but my impression was that it was crazy liberal. Seems weird to worry about what's going on there any more than the nonsense that goes on at a place like Bob Jones University or other extreme right wing religious schools. I suppose it's the social unrest that gets people worked up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One should be able to recognize the fire underneath the pot, and the fact that the water temp is rising precipitously. Lotta people still refuse to do so. Lotta others don't recognize that they're already in a boiling pot themselves. (I wonder, for instance, how many people who deny the current equivalence between postmodernism and liberalism believe that gender is not necessarily related to sex.)

Can you expound on your point about justice? I'm not sure I follow.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
On your last point...this logical extreme on the left has been expressing itself for quite some time. Someone who is surprised when it happens to them is either not paying attention or is willfully ignorant.

I did find it interesting (and personally vindicating) when Weinstein talked about how the "tools of science" have deemed to be racist, bigoted, etc. by the post modern left.

I could not agree more. Anyone who believes free speech is important should be concerned about what is and has been taking place. In many different areas or life people are trying to shut down discussions and silence people of opposing views.
Quote Reply
Re: Bret Weinstein on Joe Rogan podcast... [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
Duffy wrote:
On your last point...this logical extreme on the left has been expressing itself for quite some time. Someone who is surprised when it happens to them is either not paying attention or is willfully ignorant.

I did find it interesting (and personally vindicating) when Weinstein talked about how the "tools of science" have deemed to be racist, bigoted, etc. by the post modern left.

I could not agree more. Anyone who believes free speech is important should be concerned about what is and has been taking place. In many different areas or life people are trying to shut down discussions and silence people of opposing views.

I agree this is very disturbing trend and should be opposed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Can you expound on your point about justice? I'm not sure I follow.

The pursuit of what is perceived to be Social Justice is what drives people to act in immediate and direct opposition to those virtues Duffy listed. It's not fair, or free, or treating individuals with equality, to demand reparations, for example, but without it there is no justice, and without justice, there is no fairness, or freedom, etc. There's a reason why Social Justice is at the heart of all things Progressive today.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Duffy [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Listen to it.

Haven't listened to it but I will. That school is up here in my neck of the woods. Its a school for left-wing whackos. IIRC they don't give out grades...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I don't think that's true. It assumes that justice has been denied, or injustices committed against progressives and those who they champion. It isn't so, for the most part.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be clear, I'm not suggesting that social justice is an inherent evil. There are plenty of areas in which I think they're on the right track (criminal justice reform, first and foremost), though it can easily be used to justify injustice toward others in an attempt at tilting the playing field in the historically opposite direction.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think it's true, either. I was explaining how the concept is central to Progressive's worldview, and how it's incompatible with those liberal virtues Duffy listed.

Wholly incompatible.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, I gotcha now. I was misunderstanding you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't listen to the podcast, but read the WSJ article. Then watched a bunch of videos of demonstrations, etc., at the college. As Sam Harris says, it's the "irredeemable left."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
This is the first thread about the insanity going on at our colleges in which they haven't all jumped in and said it was an isolated incident, and it's just a handful of kids being silly, it isn't part of a pattern, and they are sure it's not a widespread problem because they didn't witness this kind of thing when they were studying mechanical engineering 20 years ago.

This is the exception and not the rule, obviously, but to your point, a pot doesn't go from lukewarm to boiling over without reaching the simmering point first.

Don't you think this progression starts way before they are in college?

They stopped using grades A-F because this could hurt some feelings

No red markers to highlight mistakes

Endless participation trophies

3 different bathrooms...

US history consist more about the negatives, than it's great accomplishments...

Liberal indoctrination of entitlement for 12 years gotta leave a mark

My neighbor's kid (4) just graduated from "preschool" They had a full on cap and gown ceremony. Oh yeah, it was sooo cute... as I shake my head ruefully.
Quote Reply
Re: Bret Weinstein on Joe Rogan podcast... [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
As Sam Harris says, it's the "irredeemable left."

His words echo through my head every time I see flare-ups like this. While I maintain hope for the ostensibly well-intentioned individuals who get caught up in this nonsense, the wing of progressivism that cultivates and capitalizes on their confusion, without question, is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Perseus wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Weinstein said in the podcast something to the effect of "they will characterize you view point as hateful or racist before even hearing it and then prevent you from speaking so they don't have to address the merits of what you really actually say".

He also brought up that fact that he's Jewish and, because of what happened to Jews in the 30s, this trend was especially concerning to him.

In other words, he called these leftist liberals Nazis!

In a sense he also said the swamp needs draining and Trump has a better chance at that then Hillary would have. He also said they may try to take Trump down.
Quote Reply

Prev Next