Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [cmorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmorgan wrote:
spool wrote:
The police officer monitoring that intersection signaled me to proceed straight (instead of turning right). I followed his instructions, but then turned around (to the correct route) about a quarter mile in after processing things in my head. I had the benefit of remembering the route from doing the race in a prior year. Had that been my first time out like the others, I’d likely would’ve gotten lost as well. There are a lot of turns on that bike course and coupled with the lack of support/signage -- I can totally understand the confusion out there. Hopefully, the RD will address this in the near future and the race survives, especially with Wildflower slated to come back next May.

[The post above is applicable to the half-iron distance race last Sunday]

THIS. That intersection is the one spot where the half iron and international bike courses diverge (aside from the turn around point for the international), and only when the half iron racers are coming back to T2. I saw the sign just before the intersection that said "56 Mile" with a straight arrow pointing through onto Lake Arthur/Crother and knew it was going to cause trouble (I raced the international on Sunday). That sign should not have been there at all.

I've raced this several times (both distances), and trust me, even a lot of locals hate training on that course because it is SO HARD. It's like pulling teeth to get friends to join me up there, and we inevitably get turned around on our training rides. That said, while racers are responsible for knowing the course, there has always been a lack of volunteers and signs on that course, especially past the turn around point for the international. I've never had an issue on race day, but only because I try to ride the course a few times before race day.

I don't want to crap all over Colleen and Joe. They truly care, and do everything they can to make this race a truly unique experience, and are super responsive to questions and feedback. They offer a supported training day on the course every year in April. How awesome is that? You can tell they are trying to put on the kind of race they would like to participate in. The food alone was better than most races I've done in the past year (even with the long wait). There is room for improvement; the swim course is always confusing to crummy swimmers like me, and the bike course just needs some better signage. I felt like the international run course was more than adequately marked and manned, at least when my sorry arse rolled through. If someone wasn't at the intersection of the two loops for the run course directing runners, I could see how someone could make a mistake there, but the signs I thought were pretty clear (if you were paying attention to something other than your own suffering).

This is the only race I have ever DNF'd in. Twice. And I wear that as a badge of honor, and will keep coming back. I hope it sticks around, even with all of the competition next May on the calendar.

Totally agree.

A lot of that route is what I train my outside biking with. I leave the park and ride at 80/bell, then take the course past that last left and go up to Colfax. Then back down, including the out and back. It kicks my butt. Have not been out there for a few months.

I thought the number of folks manning intersections, driveways, etc. was amazing! I thought the signage was the best I have ever seen. The issue is compared to courses where they are in the sticks, just go straight, and have no towns involved, those are easy to mark since you just ride for hours straight. Auburn is nothing like that.

I just hope folks realize how unique the Auburn is and help be part of solutions, not helping to kill the race. I have zero desire to just do flat boring races. I love Auburn. I love Donner. I loved Wildflower. Give me hills. Give me heat. Give me a kick ass race that separates the men from the boys. I was amazed in the international how slow most folks ran. Was it the heat? Or that it is just so hard? Either way, I loved it, even though I fell at the beginning.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [Turtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turtle wrote:
I glanced over some comments, so apologies if any of this is a repeat.

This was my 4th time doing the Auburn Half. I pop my head up every few years when I forget how painful the race can be. :) I wouldn't call myself a course expert... but I have ridden it enough to know the major turns involved.

I was one of the ones who went straight through the intersection instead of taking the right turn early on in the race. From past races, I knew it was a right turn at that intersection. Yet, when the volunteers and the CHP said to go straight... well... what was I going to do. I went straight. A few things that went through my head, in no particular order:

- I thought there was a last minute course change, hence the half distance racers had to go straight instead of turn right.
- I also thought possibly the race directors didn't want the half distance racers possibly crashing into the olympic people doing a u-turn on the same route... hence the need to split the course.
- I also thought "maybe" we would do the out and back FIRST, then left turn at the intersection to continue on the rest of the course. I would skip the out/back later on if this was the case. This wouldn't have made sense because it would have the opposite problem where the half people were turning left onto lacer Hills Road while the Olympic people were turning left onto Lake Arthur Road.
- Then I got to the end of the out and back (Crother Road)... and there was a volunteer AT that intersection telling folks to take a right turn. This made me think the course really was re-rerouted.

I continued on after I saw that volunteer. I knew eventually I would have to take a left turn. Trying to be clever, I took the wrong left turn (onto Burgen Road) and ended up on a dead end. I backtracked to Crother and continued before eventually taking a left onto Applegate Road, part of the course.

All in all, I still ended up with 55.5 miles: https://www.strava.com/activities/999689521

I think there was a miscommunication somewhere between the race director and the volunteers/chp at that intersection. Things happen, we're all human. I still got 55 miles, and hopefully so did everyone else who went straight through the intersection.

h2ofun/Dave: congrats on coming in 1st!

I was thinking the same thing as I was getting to the top of the hill and ready to turn right. I got lucky he said international go right or I also would have gone straight thinking some of the same things you did.

It was not the RD. Looks like we just had a single, older volunteer, and they blew it! It can be confusing for a younger person. Next year I bet they have a few folks there, which may be my family and friends since they know how to volunteer. :)

Thanks on the congrats. This is only the second time in my career I have won overall. Was really bummed they did not give awards out at the race since I will never get this result ever again. I still do not understand why the run times from everyone were so slow. So far I am having a great running season but, still should have been a few of those bike studs that could run. But, when I looked at last years run results, I think I had like the 3rd fastest run time. I have no idea what is going to happen with rankings. If they are poor, I will really really be bummed!!!!!

Hope to see you back next year. I just hope the race is back next year.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [Turtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turtle wrote:

- Then I got to the end of the out and back (Crother Road)... and there was a volunteer AT that intersection telling folks to take a right turn. This made me think the course really was re-rerouted.

I continued on after I saw that volunteer. I knew eventually I would have to take a left turn. Trying to be clever, I took the wrong left turn (onto Burgen Road) and ended up on a dead end. I backtracked to Crother and continued before eventually taking a left onto Applegate Road, part of the course.

You rode on Crother twice. Thoughts and prayers :-) I'd rather climb out of Bear River Campground twice than ride Crother more than necessary.

No idea there was a volunteer at the end of Crother telling people to turn right. Yikes. Yeah, that is a major blunder.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [cmorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmorgan wrote:
Turtle wrote:

You rode on Crother twice. Thoughts and prayers :-) I'd rather climb out of Bear River Campground twice than ride Crother more than necessary.

No idea there was a volunteer at the end of Crother telling people to turn right. Yikes. Yeah, that is a major blunder.

I do not see how they could have had a person at the end of that hitting Placer. The race never goes there. Never taken that to the right, so I would have been lost.
And I find Placer not a real safe road to ride on anyways.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We must be talking about a different part of Crother Road? The part I rode was relatively flat. :)

I edited my original post to say I got to the intersection of Crother and Hazel. There was a volunteer there who told me to take a right turn, which goes over Highway 80. So from the look of things, it really did seem I was on the correct course. If the volunteer had not been there, I would have turned around back towards the original CHP controlled intersection.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's much flatter, but if I'm remembering the road name correctly, the pavement quality is atrocious. I rode it most recently in April , so maybe it was paved. No idea, but hey, you clearly made the most out of it!
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because as mentioned by others, later on there was a volunteer at this intersection and it looked like this was in fact the right course they were directing folks on to. My first thought was we had arrived at the intersection before the volunteer, esp as the race was now funneling that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Thanks on the congrats. This is only the second time in my career I have won overall. Was really bummed they did not give awards out at the race since I will never get this result ever again. I still do not understand why the run times from everyone were so slow. So far I am having a great running season but, still should have been a few of those bike studs that could run. But, when I looked at last years run results, I think I had like the 3rd fastest run time. I have no idea what is going to happen with rankings. If they are poor, I will really really be bummed!!!!!

Likewise! I hope it's back next year also. Was sad when I heard the race director making the plea during the athlete's meeting. Great race, organization is tough, but volunteers were great, albeit a few short this year. There was a volunteer at the second bike aid station filling my water bottle while smoking a cigarette who made my day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turtle wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Likewise! I hope it's back next year also. Was sad when I heard the race director making the plea during the athlete's meeting. Great race, organization is tough, but volunteers were great, albeit a few short this year. There was a volunteer at the second bike aid station filling my water bottle while smoking a cigarette who made my day.

Missed that. But the folks on their phones texting and not helping the athletes I see at every race

Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [spool] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree. Dave, you are clearly the odd man out here. No one agrees with you and no one cares about your USAT points. This was a race organization issue 100%.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [LOVELB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOVELB wrote:
Totally agree. Dave, you are clearly the odd man out here. No one agrees with you and no one cares about your USAT points. This was a race organization issue 100%.

Yep, I love to stand alone than be a lemming. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There you go again snow flake;)

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about this and I remember a time about 10 years ago when they had to divert the Flying Pig marathon course due to building fire. In that case, if athletes ignored volunteers because they "knew the course" they would have been put in harms way.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
I was thinking about this and I remember a time about 10 years ago when they had to divert the Flying Pig marathon course due to building fire. In that case, if athletes ignored volunteers because they "knew the course" they would have been put in harms way.

It's tough when things happened. But for the few who just think it is always the RD's fault, and take no ownership for their actions/mistakes, oh well, I guess they probably do this in all aspects of their life.

We are just lucky we have so many RD's who are willing to put up with a few Type A .... . I know I will never put on a race again since I got tired of killing myself putting on a race and they Type A's think they are entitled.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, stuff happens in races and sometimes you can't do anything about it. I certainly appreciate the race directors efforts and I'm sure they are torn up over these issues, probably more than any of the athletes who are complaining. I still had a hell of a fun time out there and I'm not holding anyone at fault......just wanted to make a point that there are instances where it is a good idea to follow directions from the volunteers. I definitely got my $$ worth out of Auburn and would go back!
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The email from the race director just about summed it up...they took responsibility, but then said the athletes were responsible!

"We do take responsibility for our volunteers and CHP directing you off course and we do apologize. You have to realize that we have over 200 volunteers to help put this race on. Ultimately though, it is your responsibility to know the course."
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [burner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burner wrote:
The email from the race director just about summed it up...they took responsibility, but then said the athletes were responsible!

"We do take responsibility for our volunteers and CHP directing you off course and we do apologize. You have to realize that we have over 200 volunteers to help put this race on. Ultimately though, it is your responsibility to know the course."

USAT Rules... Know the course. And, follow the directions of the race staff. Ummm... OK. [rolls eyes]

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In case anyone was wondering if there was a current, I would say, yes there was.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
In case anyone was wondering if there was a current, I would say, yes there was.

We could watch the start buoy being dragged back into position to see there was a pretty good current.

Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [burner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burner wrote:

So yep, this is 100% true.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was the exact same intersection where CHP was saying go straight and the old guy at the corner said he didn't know. I stopped, asked both, and got two different stories, meanwhile, as I am talking to CHP, some are going left, some straight, some right. It was pretty hilarious. It is also pretty unrealistic to expect me to memorize so many turns and twists that in the heat of the race (literally and figuratively) I would remember the course the very first time I'm doing it. I looked at my watch, saw that it said 42.x miles, and figured it couldn't be a left turn because course would be too short, we never were going straight, so I went right. My garmin said 54.8 miles at the end so I guess all is good.

Then race sends that email saying they will "let the results stand as is" and I was thinking, what's that supposed to mean. Are they saying there is no confidence in the results?
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [ngtcor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for volunteering. Except for two intersections, both turns, every volunteer (and CHP) was really great, especially the added atmosphere volunteers bring on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
That was the exact same intersection where CHP was saying go straight and the old guy at the corner said he didn't know. I stopped, asked both, and got two different stories, meanwhile, as I am talking to CHP, some are going left, some straight, some right. It was pretty hilarious. It is also pretty unrealistic to expect me to memorize so many turns and twists that in the heat of the race (literally and figuratively) I would remember the course the very first time I'm doing it. I looked at my watch, saw that it said 42.x miles, and figured it couldn't be a left turn because course would be too short, we never were going straight, so I went right. My garmin said 54.8 miles at the end so I guess all is good.

Then race sends that email saying they will "let the results stand as is" and I was thinking, what's that supposed to mean. Are they saying there is no confidence in the results?

That is saying the rules state, if you go long, that is just the way it is.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, thanks. Wasn't sure what that email meant. All I know is having that first time feeling of having my ass kicked was really great, like the first time doing Wildflower. Hopefully these races are a week apart next year so I can do both.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is going to join me doing the Auburn Triathlon May 21st, the Southwest Regional Championship? [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:

My guess is since there were no timing mats out on the bike course, they can't discern what everyone did. So, either let the results stand as-is or DQ the entire long course field (the latter being the less desirable option of the two).
Quote Reply

Prev Next