Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Explosion at Ariana Grande Concert in England [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Praise be to Allah.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion at Ariana Grande Concert in England [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
There is little passive religion in muslim countries

That seems to me to be the critical challenge, call it what you will, but how do you get a significantly greater percentage of Muslims to not take the religion so seriously?
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion at Ariana Grande Concert in England [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Most of humanity has a built in moral compass. Religion tries to scare people into sticking to their moral compass.

I don't need the fear of hell to be a good person. Nor do you or any of us.

Wouldn't we at a basic level not have a moral compass, more a survival instinct? I'd think the moral compass so to speak is learned from family unit, religion, education, society or laws ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion at Ariana Grande Concert in England [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:
Most of humanity has a built in moral compass. Religion tries to scare people into sticking to their moral compass.

I don't think survival instincts and moral compasses are mutually exclusive.

Quote Reply
Re: Explosion at Ariana Grande Concert in England [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

Wouldn't we at a basic level not have a moral compass, more a survival instinct? I'd think the moral compass so to speak is learned from family unit, religion, education, society or laws ?

We probably have some underlying innate* traits like empathy, cooperativeness, prosociality, etc. that form the basis that an ethics/morality arises out of in a given culture. Obviously what form the latter takes can vary greatly (perhaps one of the more stark examples being female sexuality).

*Which can of course go awry which is how you get sociopaths/psychopaths who lack empathy, etc.

You could argue ultimately that this is a survival "instinct" since humans could not have survived outside of the social unit, our babies are very costly to raise and no mother or probably even nuclear family unit could have done it outside of the social group back for hundreds of thousands if not millions of years when hunter/gathering was the lifestyle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Quote:

I don't think survival instincts and moral compasses are mutually exclusive.

Not mutually exclusive, but often in conflict. Observe animals in the wild and that becomes clear.

I believe humans are born with the capacity to determine right and wrong, but those concepts must be taught and are not inherently ingrained in our hard wiring. Being born without the propensity to rape and kill does not mean one is born with a moral compass. The fact that we do not naturally want to rape and kill does not mean we are born with the knowledge it is "wrong."

Observe a young child in a grocery cart reaching out at the checkout lane and taking a piece of candy without paying. It happens all the time. The desire to take something we want is hard-wired into our system. We have to be taught that this conduct is "wrong" and that we cannot simply take whatever we want.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, so the compass needs to be calibrated shall we say...

Religion can do that, but it doesn't need to. If we want to have a society that isn't chaos then we need laws. Laws can be the calibration.

I just think that we'd be where we are (within reason) with or without religion. Given that I believe that the idea of God was created by man I would say that we did get here all by ourselves.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
The fact that we do not naturally want to rape and kill does not mean we are born with the knowledge it is "wrong."

And of course while we extend this to all of humanity based on the culture we were raised in, plenty of cultures have/had no issue at all with killing and raping outside of the in-group.
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion at Ariana Grande Concert in England [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When all your neighbours, work colleagues all pray in the same place at the same time 5 times a day 7 days a week absence is noticeable

Poverty is rife, slavery / servitude is endemic, poor access to education for much of the muslim world, fervent religious and political leaders who can keep people in their box by explaining its "all but for ______ " we'd be fine......

I worked with - the only way i can describe them is - religiously conservative progressive muslims e.g. doctors, their wives were doctors / professionals and their daughters were well educated (in one case one couples three daughters are all doing medicine in the US / OZ and Bahrain)

These guy's are the exceptions amongst the regional population, the 1% if you will. They want for nothing, are well travelled, well educated etc
The problem is the several hundred million of their bretheren who are not and are definitely not at the enlightened end of the spectrum.
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion at Ariana Grande Concert in England [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
The difference of course is that the Muslims are murdering innocent people and targeting concerts because there are children there while Christians put up ten commandment monuments.

I'm not comparing the current practice of Islam and Christianity, I'm comparing attitudes toward separation of church and state. The same wall of separation of church and state that is used against ten commandment monuments at courthouses also prevents the implementation of Sharia law.

Neither Christianity nor Islam are going away any time soon. About 1/3 of mankind is Christian and about 1/5 of mankind is Muslim. Believers are just going to have to learn to respect each other and find a way to live in peace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
JSA wrote:

I'm sure you do, but 84% of the world's population consists of believers in some form of religion, so, they likely do not agree with you. FWIW, I study Buddhism, so I, personally, agree with you. But, the vast majority of the world sees it slightly differently and I do not agree the world would be better if we eliminated the moral compass by which the majority of the world conducts itself.

Glass half empty? I always thought religion was about selling the really awesome afterlife? It wasn't until some smartypants asked "what are my other choices?" that burning in hell came into the discussion.

I've never lived in fear of Hell. I've been to Bad Water California in early September.
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion at Ariana Grande Concert in England [outerlimit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or not.........

You are assuming that they NEED to do it. They dont.

This is a problem of demographics. Ask Israel. Muslims are growing. Christians are not.

I only see this getting worse. Many of these countries have been ruled by families who have bribed the populace. The cash is running out. Just ask SA about the Aramco IPO. They are burning through their sovereign wealth.

Moving away from foss fuels is actually going to compound the problem of poverty and extremism and anitpathy towards western values
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Ok, so the compass needs to be calibrated shall we say...

Religion can do that, but it doesn't need to. If we want to have a society that isn't chaos then we need laws. Laws can be the calibration.

I agree and never said otherwise.

BLeP wrote:
I just think that we'd be where we are (within reason) with or without religion. Given that I believe that the idea of God was created by man I would say that we did get here all by ourselves.

I don't agree, given the level of civilization in many countries with which we are unfamiliar, but that is another debate.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion at Ariana Grande Concert in England [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:
The fact that we do not naturally want to rape and kill does not mean we are born with the knowledge it is "wrong."

And of course while we extend this to all of humanity based on the culture we were raised in, plenty of cultures have/had no issue at all with killing and raping outside of the in-group.

Exactly! Which also undercuts any claim we are born with a calibrated moral compass.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Duffy [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back on topic the father of the guy who blew himself up didn't do it. You see, he spoke to him 5 days ago and he seemed "normal", so obviously he couldn't have done it.

http://globalnews.ca/...salman-abedi-father/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
JSA wrote:

Exactly! Which also undercuts any claim we are born with a calibrated moral compass.

Yes I don't think that claim is defensible. You gain a moral compass through enculturation.
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion at Ariana Grande Concert in England [LM1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This just in Terrorism expert Katy Perry gives the solution to this massacre. No Barriers and No Borders. I hope she leads by example and offers to house 100 refugees in her walled in and gated properties.

(3:30 mark)
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion at Ariana Grande Concert in England [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty certain you have no idea if he was or he wasn't poor

Yes its islam

Yes poverty plays a part

Yes they come from all parts of the economic spectrum

I was not sayings its exclusively a cause plus islam.

Its islam, but it would be idiotic to assume its islam in a vacum with no other factors or there'd be a billion suicicide bombers
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion at Ariana Grande Concert in England [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to understand. Islam and these terroist, this video is worth watching:

THE VERSE OF THE SWORD: SURA 9:5 AND JIHAD

Sahih International: And when the sacred months have passed, then kill the polytheists wherever you find them and capture them and besiege them and sit in wait for them at every place of ambush. But if they should repent, establish prayer, and give zakah, let them [go] on their way. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.

Unfortunately, decent people are brainwashed from the day they are born to follow their religious leaders. These religious leaders can use the actual word of God to manipulate.
This passion for their god praying 5 times a day (or be beaten) and jihad like orders are a toxic mix.
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion at Ariana Grande Concert in England [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've a pretty good idea i lived and worked in the region for 7 years
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to derail from a perfectly good off-topic religious argument, but Ariana Grande is offering to pay for the victims funerals.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...ictims-funerals.html

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Father and brother of KILLER just arrested.
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion at Ariana Grande Concert in England [LM1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LM1x wrote:
This just in Terrorism expert Katy Perry gives the solution to this massacre. No Barriers and No Borders. I hope she leads by example and offers to house 100 refugees in her walled in and gated properties.

this also just in:

pop singer apparently does not have nuanced grasp of geopolitics and security in foreign countries.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Explosion at Ariana Grande Concert in England [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dvfmfidc wrote:
Father and brother of KILLER just arrested.

I heard the same along with a few others. Whats really infuriating is that I just heard a Brit reporter say that the local police chief ( or some similar person) came out almost immediately and said that hatred against certain groups would not be tolerated. This was right after the person listed the number of KNOWN jihadis who have traveled overseas recently along with the total know number in country. So the police chief is ok and does nothing about invaders that would kill out of hatered but threatens his own people who were just attacked. You can't make this shit up along with the horrible reaction of so many acting shocked and that somehow now they must have better security. Ya think?

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply

Prev Next