Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bikerumor goes to the Specialized Win Tunnel
Quote | Reply
https://www.bikerumor.com/...-tunnel/#more-161874

I found the article helpful and informative - with bikerumor constantly pushing the marketer's claims of products 'saving this many minutes over a 40k', I thought this article was needed.

What I find difficult to wrap my mind around is when products are said to save watts.... at what speed? for how long? at what yaw? does the rider's ability and weight (say, ftp in w/kg) not matter?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Bikerumor goes to the Specialized Win Tunnel [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At what speed?
Usually 25mph.
For how long?
As long as you're on the course. The air doesn't care how long your race is.
At what yaw?
Highly variable. IMO, Flo does the best job of reporting how they calculate things.
Does the rider's ability and weight not matter?
The rider's weight certainly does not matter in terms of aero savings. Ability? That's a very vague metric. For a given drag reduction (in terms of CdA) a slow rider (say FTP of 180w) and a fast rider (FTP of 360w) will see about the same time reduction.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikerumor goes to the Specialized Win Tunnel [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I get savings in units of time. It's when 'watts saved' are listed. So, a rider with an ftp of 180 has the same watts savings as a rider with an ftp of 360w? and so, the watts saved are instantaneous watts, as in: your watts go down by this much due to the reduced cda?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Bikerumor goes to the Specialized Win Tunnel [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rule of thumb is 50 grams of drag = 0.005 Cda = 5w = 0.5 seconds/km

The rider with the higher FTP will see a greater wattage savings (ceteris paribus) from a given piece of equipment because they are riding faster. However, they will be on a given course for a shorter period of time than the slower rider so the time savings from a piece of equipment is roughly equal between the slower rider and the faster rider for the range of average speeds cyclists are likely to ride at (say 15-30mph).

Yes, it's an instantaneous value.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikerumor goes to the Specialized Win Tunnel [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply