Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Keep right or don't speed: which camp are you in?
Quote | Reply
Seen a few FB links to articles bitching about people who hog the 'fast' lane. The responses are as typical as a bikes vs cars new story. People boasting about tail gaiting, flashing lights etc General intimidation. The degree that people try and justify it is amusing. Many hang their hat on it coming down to inaccurate speedos with both people actually within the limit but one being more inaccurate (thus slower) than another.

My younger brother and older sister, both docs (so possibly with God complexes), are most definitely in the keep right (well keep left here) camp. Yet I know that both are compulsive speeders. I love stirring them up that if everyone just did the speed limit there would be no reason to pass. Thought I've most definitely found myself frustrated at being blocked in, I personally despise speeding much more. But then I've grown up driving big old heavy (slow) cars.

So which camp are you in? Is this the worst road behaviour in your eyes?
Quote Reply
Re: Keep right or don't speed: which camp are you in? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty simple, the left lane is for passing. If you're not passing someone, move the hell over. I guess that puts me in the keep right camp.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't care if people go slow. Just stay out of the passing lane.

I generally drive "slow" (about 5-10 over) and guess what? I only use the passing lane to pass.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely keep right, but don't be asshole if someone is in the passing lane.

I think it was on FB recently where I saw a public service announcement or something along those lines about people blocking the passing lane causing accidents. That's generally been my view of it. You're making things way more dangerous sitting in the left lane than the speeders are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drive in the right lane pass in the left. Fucking Americans do not understand this concept
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not problem with speeders who aren't reckless. The flow of traffic around here is generally 10-15 mph above the limit. But people who constantly change lanes with minimal margin, slam on their breaks and tailgate are the worst offenders. It is all subjective of course as one persons tailgating is plenty of room in another's eyes.

People who camp in the left lane at the speed limit are a close second. They may think they are improving things, but they lead to cars bunching up together and frustration from those that want to move at normal flow of traffic speeds.

I assume that most people think they are safe drivers but I was driving once with my Dad's wife when we were stuck behind a car on a mountain road. She told me to make sure I get really close so they know I want to pass.
Quote Reply
Re: Keep right or don't speed: which camp are you in? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Drive in the right lane pass in the left. Fucking Americans do not understand this concept

This. Canadians too.

Drove to Napa last week. The worst ones are Californians. Driving 55 in the fast lane. Drives me crazy. GTFO of the fast lane!

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep right except to pass is pretty much the law everywhere. And you should complete your pass quickly, not inch by 1/2 mph faster than the car next to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Keep right or don't speed: which camp are you in? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

I think it was on FB recently where I saw a public service announcement or something along those lines about people blocking the passing lane causing accidents. That's generally been my view of it. You're making things way more dangerous sitting in the left lane than the speeders are.

There's not a chance in hell that the person blocking a lane is more dangerous than the person speeding. It's a choice of an individual to illegally tailgate, or swerve to pass on the inside etc, and cause the accident. Once they make that choice then it's their fault and theirs alone. It's like saying women that dress provactively are the cause of rape. The two distinct acts might invoke a series of emotions but it's the person acting out on those who is at fault.

There's generally too many cars on the freeways here to leave a lane sitting relatively vacant. It's inefficient use of the road asset. I get the rage at the slow cars that enter the freeway then merge straight to the fast lane and camp there when other lanes are sparsely used, but when it's fairly busy then I see no issue. It's not like the speeder behind is going anyway in a hurry, they normally get stuck behind the next car.
Last edited by: mv2005: May 3, 17 9:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Bit of both for me. I keep right unless I am passing, but I pass at the speed I want to pass at. I generally do 5mph or so over the limit. In the past few years we have had a lot of out of state people move in and the flow of traffic has picked up speed quite a bit. It is not uncommon to see people doing 10-15mph over now, where that was very rare before. I will pass someone in the left lane at 5mph over then get back to the right. But if some asshole comes screaming up behind me at 15-20mph over, I have zero sympathy for them and they can wait for me to finish my pass.
Quote Reply
Re: Keep right or don't speed: which camp are you in? [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with this. I should have pointed out that I'm not one to sit there as though it's my right. I'll generally stay in a middle lane to avoid the merge nightmares. But if it's busy in all lanes and someone squeezes in behind me, when there are cars lined up in front, I'm in no hurry to find a gap and move back.
Quote Reply
Re: Keep right or don't speed: which camp are you in? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Keep right except to pass is pretty much the law everywhere. And you should complete your pass quickly, not inch by 1/2 mph faster than the car next to you.

This ^^^^^
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Yeah, the people that really drive me nuts are the ones who tailgate the hell out of you trying to get you out of the way when you are following the car in front of you. They want to gain that 20ft you are taking up in the left lane and think they deserve it more than you do. Those people can eff off.

My wife is unfortunately a hang out in the left lane kind of person. Drives me nuts when I am with her. She does have a somewhat decent excuse though. She is completely blind in her left eye and has limited peripheral vision in her right eye. She prefers to drive on the left so people can't hang out in her literal blind spot. I tell her she is inciting rage in others by doing this, but she feels safest knowing people can't sneak up on her blind side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are driving slow and blocking a lane you hold up everyone else and on a busy highway traffic can back up for miles becasue of you. There have been studies done that have shown that even on a busy highway, one tap of your break can cause a traffic jam.

Quote Reply
Re: Keep right or don't speed: which camp are you in? [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:
. She is completely blind in her left eye and has limited peripheral vision in her right eye. She prefers to drive on the left so people can't hang out in her literal blind spot. I tell her she is inciting rage in others by doing this, but she feels safest knowing people can't sneak up on her blind side.

??????????

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

There's not a chance in hell that the person blocking a lane is more dangerous than the person speeding. It's a choice of an individual to illegally tailgate, or swerve to pass on the inside etc, and cause the accident. Once they make that choice then it's their fault and theirs alone. It's like saying women that dress provactively are the cause of rape. The two distinct acts might invoke a series of emotions but it's the person acting out on those who is at fault.

There's generally too many cars on the freeways here to leave a lane sitting relatively vacant. It's inefficient use of the road asset. I get the rage at the slow cars that enter the freeway then merge straight to the fast lane and camp there when other lanes are sparsely used, but when it's fairly busy then I see no issue. It's not like the speeder behind is going anyway in a hurry, they normally get stuck behind the next car.

Completely disagree. You are conveniently ignoring the fact that the person blocking the passing lane is also making a choice to ignore all of the signs that say that the left lane is for passing, not to mention the fact that in most states you can get a ticket for doing so just like speeding. It happens far too often that there is room for a person to move over to the non-passing lane, yet they sit there and block traffic. It has zero comparison to women and rape.

Quote | Reply
aarondb4 wrote:

Bit of both for me. I keep right unless I am passing, but I pass at the speed I want to pass at. I generally do 5mph or so over the limit. In the past few years we have had a lot of out of state people move in and the flow of traffic has picked up speed quite a bit. It is not uncommon to see people doing 10-15mph over now, where that was very rare before. I will pass someone in the left lane at 5mph over then get back to the right. But if some asshole comes screaming up behind me at 15-20mph over, I have zero sympathy for them and they can wait for me to finish my pass.

Agreed. I tend to keep right unless Tim Hortons is coming up then very important to get in the left lane to pass all the people turning in.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Keep right or don't speed: which camp are you in? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
aarondb4 wrote:

Agreed. I tend to keep right unless Tim Hortons is coming up then very important to get in the left lane to pass all the people turning in.

Haha it is called Dutch Brothers in our part of the world and they have a line 10-25 cars deep 24/7. Tried it once, it has enough sugar to be considered a controlled substance. Keeps the crackheads coming back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my life, driving or wherever, I live by the rule taught to me by John Rodrich. Keep moving and get out of the way. Not keep moving or get out of the way but keep moving AND get out of the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep right. I used to be an aggressive driver but have toned it down a lot. I still get pissed when someone is toodling along in the left hand lane blocking traffic.

I was on I-20 several years ago and there were semi trucks in both lanes. It took the one on the left about 20 miles to complete his pass. I wanted to throw something at him after I passed him, but I realized that would have been a poor decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If more motorists rode bikes, raced bikes and/or took part in advanced level group rides with good working echelons the roads would be safer, and we would all get to where ever we are going faster. The thing that a good working group ride and echelon has is, cooperation - that's almost non existent on the road*. For many drivers, it's like their are NO other vehicles on the road - just their's. It's this extraordinary level of selfishness and entitlement that often leads to problems.

Indeed - drive right and pass left. It's pretty straight forward. Also - look well down the road and anticipate things, and traffic movement and patterns so that you can maintain your flow/speed but also of others - let another driver in, so they don't have to jam the brakes on, or massively accelerate to make a gap.

* I do see this level of cooperation among truck drivers, and I'm always on the look out for them, as I am looking out for myself. Again, in terms of flow, I let the truck into the gap - give him a little flash of the lights to let him know, I'm giving him the space to do that . . and so on. Whereas I see so many drivers drive on up right behind a truck on the left and then maybe a truck on the right or long line of cars - that car now has no where to go safely - no safe out! And they will just end up driving along in that dead-end spot for a while.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay right and pass left camp. I don't really care too much how fast or slow you drive on a highway as long as this rule is followed. However equally important is in heavier traffic don't be the douche weaving in and out of traffic trying to speed.

The last few years around me the highways with speed limits of 65 seem to have people driving crazy fast. 80 mph and you're steadily getting past. I've been in a line of cars doing 90 or so and been routinely passed like I was standing still.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Keep right or don't speed: which camp are you in? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
windywave wrote:

This. Canadians too.

Drove to Napa last week. The worst ones are Californians. Driving 55 in the fast lane. Drives me crazy. GTFO of the fast lane!
You must have been in the 5? Flipping 405 is the worst for damn Sunday and traffic drivers who cannot keep up with the flow or constantly riding the brakes while talking on speaker with the phone up to their mouths.

Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I don't care if people go slow. Just stay out of the passing lane.

I generally drive "slow" (about 5-10 over) and guess what? I only use the passing lane to pass.

This.

Passing lane is to pass. Just because you're going the speed limit (or over it) doesn't mean it's ok to hang out in the passing lane.

I generally don't speed. But I also recognize that many people will exceed the posted limit, and I don't have a problem with that, nor do I see it as unsafe. I'm just old. And I'm not going to get in their way.
Quote Reply
Re: Keep right or don't speed: which camp are you in? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
The last few years around me the highways with speed limits of 65 seem to have people driving crazy fast. 80 mph and you're steadily getting passed. I've been in a line of cars doing 90 or so and been routinely passed like I was standing still.

That's how it's done on the Jersey Turnpike

Youse got a problem wit' dat?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next