Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fat tire IM
Quote | Reply

Who is up for a new challenge?
Quote Reply
Re: Fat tire IM [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's probably somebody hoping to miss the swim cutoff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John Withrow (an EN guy) broke six hours at IM Wisconsin on a fat bike a couple years ago.

I think that guy at Texas went like 7:30 yesterday.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Fat tire IM [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
John Withrow (an EN guy) broke six hours at IM Wisconsin on a fat bike a couple years ago.

Over 7 on the bike alone. Then 8 hours on the run. Combine that with 1:30+ on the swim equals 17+ finish time.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you pump those tires up to 90psi (or whatever max the tire takes). Rolling resistance is probably not bad.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Apr 23, 17 8:40
Quote Reply
Re: Fat tire IM [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably closer to 30 PSI for the max.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat tire IM [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Over 7 on the bike alone. Then 8 hours on the run. Combine that with 1:30+ on the swim equals 17+ finish time.

I meant 7:30 on the bike... not overall.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is only funny if you can run at least 17 min miles......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Look at the guy on the tri bike... or, should I say, the skinny-tire tri bike!
Last edited by: DougFelts: Apr 23, 17 17:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought there was a rule against that sort of thing (but I haven't checked in a while).

I thought the rule was something along the lines of it must be a racing bicycle (essentially limiting it to Road and Tri bikes). The rule was introduced when some guy challenged a buddy and said I could beat you on a Cruiser bike. (Kona? 20-25 years ago?) The powers that be, didn't see the humour in it and ruled against bikes other than racing bikes.

That said, I passed a guy on a MTB years ago at IMNZ. I don't recall if it was 2000 or 2004, but he was finishing lap 1 as I was finishing lap 2. I rode with him for about a kilometre. Apparently he was touring New Zealand on his MTB, heard the IM was on and entered. He took the panniers and racks off for race day, but left the knobbies on. I saw him at the awards party and he finished under 17 hours, just.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of the scene from Tin Cup where Costner brags to Don Johnson about shooting par with a 7 iron. Johnson just looks at him and says, "why?"
Quote Reply
Re: Fat tire IM [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like he had a long race day but obviously he was expecting that and maybe that's something he enjoys. I know I'm hoping I'm not out of the course anywhere near as long for my first IM
Quote Reply
Re: Fat tire IM [DougFelts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The guy on the Fat bike is at least in a more aero position than the guy on the tri bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode a Cannondale full suspension mountain bike with slick tires for my first few triathlons. (It's all I had.) I locked out the front shock and pumped up the rear with the max PSI recommended. With those slicks on, it actually ended up pretty fast and very comfy. I saved up for a year and bought a real road bike and ended up going the exact same speed on that as the mountain bike on the same race course. Too many variables to explain exactly why, but damn, wtf.

They make fat bike slick tires and that would have made a huge difference in his speed over those knobbies. But aside from the unaero drag from the width of those monsters, that setup looks really fun. I'd definitely give it a try for kicks.

I heard the expansion joints on the tollway were giving lots of people flats. Anybody else see that?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Last edited by: ZenTriBrett: Apr 23, 17 19:50
Quote Reply
Re: Fat tire IM [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
I rode a Cannondale full suspension mountain bike with slick tires for my first few triathlons. (It's all I had.) I locked out the front shock and pumped up the rear with the max PSI recommended. With those slicks on, it actually ended up pretty fast and very comfy. I saved up for a year and bought a real road bike and ended up going the exact same speed on that as the mountain bike on the same race course. Too many variables to explain exactly why, but damn, wtf.

They make fat bike slick tires and that would have made a huge difference in his speed over those knobbies. But aside from the unaero drag from the width of those monsters, that setup looks really fun. I'd definitely give it a try for kicks.

I heard the expansion joints on the tollway were giving lots of people flats. Anybody else see that?

I was surprised at the number of flats I saw on what was a pretty debris-free course. Also the number of crashes on a straight damn road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like he "finished" in 17:10. Why do the results show him as an official finisher instead of DNF?
Quote Reply
Re: Fat tire IM [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think because of the rolling swim start. With a 6:40 am start time looks like it goes 17 hours and 20 minutes?
Quote Reply
Re: Fat tire IM [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
The guy on the Fat bike is at least in a more aero position than the guy on the tri bike

..and had a faster bike split then the guy on the tri bike... that's both sad and awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat tire IM [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap...he really did.

Maybe, hopefully, they had planned to do the ride together.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat tire IM [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were there some expansion joints at an angle? I've seen people get their front wheel wedged into angled joints and have nightmarish wrecks from it. If you aren't vigilant, you can easily catch those while fueling or looking behind you.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Fat tire IM [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Were there some expansion joints at an angle? I've seen people get their front wheel wedged into angled joints and have nightmarish wrecks from it. If you aren't vigilant, you can easily catch those while fueling or looking behind you.

Majority were perpendicular to the road, but there was a joint I remember (on the north half, want to say near 1960) that was about 30 degrees off of perpendicular. Fairly easy to spot, though, dark rubber "gasket" cutting across fairly fresh concrete, didn't see any wrecks there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's some more reading about some Fat TT bikes

https://www.bikerumor.com/...t-trek-equinox-born/

Quote Reply
Re: Fat tire IM [DougFelts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the look on the faces of people you pass must make it a great day and worth any lost minutes

if the aero and rolling resistance curves are right then at this size hes got negative wind and rolling resistance - it would practically bike itself !
Quote Reply
Re: Fat tire IM [FlyingScot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FlyingScot wrote:
ZenTriBrett wrote:

I was surprised at the number of flats I saw on what was a pretty debris-free course. Also the number of crashes on a straight damn road.

At least one was of a competitor whose headset sheered completely off resulting in a broken clavicle and several dislocated fingers.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat tire IM [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
At least one was of a competitor whose headset sheered completely off resulting in a broken clavicle and several dislocated fingers.

Ouch, that's a bad day. Coworker had a stem fail a few years back, put him in the hospital, can't recall the extent of his injuries. That kind of stuff is scary, aside from complete disassembly of your bike (which who does it if they're not traveling?), how do you catch that?
Quote Reply

Prev Next