Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Venge Vias Disc (take a deep breath TomA :) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even my grandma would say .. "a bike for Barbie's Ken" ;-)

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Last edited by: sausskross: Jul 29, 16 11:43
Quote Reply
Re: New Venge Vias Disc (take a deep breath TomA :) [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
What gets me is the rim brake version got/gets so much hype for hiding the front brake out of the wind , which yes made it a pain to adjust and didn't stop well. They spent a lot of marketing hype telling us how great that was to "hide" the front brake and blend it into the fork for aerodynamics. Then a year later they tell me this large "wart" of a brake hung off the front fork has no drag penalty at all.

I'm not saying they are right or wrong engineering wise but it's just doesn't seem like good marketing strategy to say , aero is all that matters, look how hidden every thing is. Then turn around a year later and say yeah but see how cool this is and hidden/aero doesn't matter all that much after all.

I mean as a company you need to have a core value and believe in it or not. They built a wind tunnel. They designed stuff that said aero is all that matters. Now they almost are saying " just kidding". I have no idea but I would guess the rim brake Venge is not selling like they had hoped and they needed something new to see if they could turn that around do they rolled this out there. It's a market that is hard to judge , maybe they are right.

+1. What I'd really like to see is the following tested (preferably not at the Specialized Spin tunnel)

1. Venge Vias rim brake as is
2. Venge Vias remove the stock rim brake, or you can call it the Venge Vias disc brake with a rim brake fork and no rotor
3. Venge Vias same as number two, but whack a normal rim caliper in the front (just drill the dang thing onto the frame or something)
3. Venge Vias disc as is
4. Venge Vias disc without the rotor and brake caliper, since the disc fork is prob gonna be slightly diff from #2.

And then we will draw our conclusions from that. For now, I'm kinda questioning everything that has ever come out of the so called Win tunnel, especially the tests in which Spesh product has been the direct focus of the test.
Quote Reply
Re: New Venge Vias Disc (take a deep breath TomA :) [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They didn't say the disc brake setup "has no drag penalty at all", the numbers that Specialized claim are quite clearly stated in the OP.

Whether you choose to believe those numbers is up to you, but it's not a conflicting marketing message at all, it's pretty simple: hiding the front brake is the fastest, if you want discs then this is the aero penalty you have to pay.

Things are going to sound confusing if you're going to pick and choose what you want to hear.

@snaaijert - you make it sound very simple, so why don't you just stick those things in your wind tunnel and get back to us with some numbers?
Last edited by: aw3: Jul 29, 16 6:46
Quote Reply
Re: New Venge Vias Disc (take a deep breath TomA :) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks awesome. Wish I could afford one!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
What gets me is the rim brake version got/gets so much hype for hiding the front brake out of the wind , which yes made it a pain to adjust and didn't stop well. They spent a lot of marketing hype telling us how great that was to "hide" the front brake and blend it into the fork for aerodynamics. Then a year later they tell me this large "wart" of a brake hung off the front fork has no drag penalty at all.

I'm not saying they are right or wrong engineering wise but it's just doesn't seem like good marketing strategy to say , aero is all that matters, look how hidden every thing is. Then turn around a year later and say yeah but see how cool this is and hidden/aero doesn't matter all that much after all.

I mean as a company you need to have a core value and believe in it or not. They built a wind tunnel. They designed stuff that said aero is all that matters. Now they almost are saying " just kidding". I have no idea but I would guess the rim brake Venge is not selling like they had hoped and they needed something new to see if they could turn that around do they rolled this out there. It's a market that is hard to judge , maybe they are right.

Coupla things...

As aw3 already noted, Specialized never said there was no drag penalty to the Vias Disc. In fact, they specifically said the exact opposite.

Nowhere has Specialized said "aero is all that matters". They have a tag line / slogan that says "aero matters", but not it is all that matters. No are they saying "aero doesn't matter that much at all." They are simply responding to market forces. LIke it or not, the demand for road discs is there. Personally, I think applying discs to an aero road bike is kinda dumb....but I also ge that there are a LOT of people that will want it.

If you think Specilized's "core value" is aero, then you are making the classic mistake of looking at the company from your own perspective only. Specialized represents a lot of things to the industry / category....and a whole bunch of it is NOT aero-related.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: New Venge Vias Disc (take a deep breath TomA :) [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't their hashtag #AeroisEverything ?
Quote Reply
Re: New Venge Vias Disc (take a deep breath TomA :) [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
Isn't their hashtag #AeroisEverything ?

Dunno....I don't do hashtags. But assuming they do, I would argue that it is being pedantic. (not to mention the fact that holding a company's hastag as a "core value" is pretty dumb). The point is that they are responding to market forces and those forces almost always demand a compromise at some point.

If it was their "core value" then why isn't 7401 getting bent out of shape about them still producing Tarmacs? If "aero is all that matters" then they should only be producing Venge Vias road bikes....not even the original venge. Further, they should stop producing the Shiv since it is far from being the most aero tri bike on the market, etc.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: New Venge Vias Disc (take a deep breath TomA :) [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha yeah we agree on that, they def should stop making the Shiv ;)

Point taken on the Tarmac, so aero is probably everything on the projects labelled "aero" which the Venge is a part of, disc brake or not. They could probably claim most aero disc road bike, good for them. Aesthetically, I think taking away the integrated spacer stem bar nightmare solves alot, saw a pic of Kittel's bike with normal stem and bars and it looked much less gross.

@aw never said it was easy. That's the thing about tunnels of course, if you don't like the results, either don't publish them or tweak until the results are somewhat acceptable. And they seem to have done just that (not necessarily unique to Speah ofc, although they are the only company afaik that has its own tunnel) Hey at least the youtube clips are entertaining.
Quote Reply
Re: New Venge Vias Disc (take a deep breath TomA :) [romulusmagnus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
romulusmagnus wrote:
I can't tell if you are calling this Venge Vias thing a jack of all trades bicycle...? It's not.

definitely not

sxevegan wrote:
Sorry to be an "elitist snob"

apology accepted!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also what no one seems to have picked up on is its cheaper than its rim brake equivalent. The price in the picture is £6000. Right now the price of the equivalently spec'd venge pro vias is £6500. This is the first time I have known Spec to launch a new high-end bike at a price lower than its predecessor.
Quote Reply
Re: New Venge Vias Disc (take a deep breath TomA :) [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no knowledge of this, but I have a feeling that 2017 will have some more reasonable price options of the VIAS than 2016 did. Both in the rim brake model and the disc model. Trickle down in effect.
Quote Reply
Re: New Venge Vias Disc (take a deep breath TomA :) [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:

+1. What I'd really like to see is the following tested (preferably not at the Specialized Spin tunnel)

1. Venge Vias rim brake as is
2. Venge Vias remove the stock rim brake, or you can call it the Venge Vias disc brake with a rim brake fork and no rotor
3. Venge Vias same as number two, but whack a normal rim caliper in the front (just drill the dang thing onto the frame or something)
3. Venge Vias disc as is
4. Venge Vias disc without the rotor and brake caliper, since the disc fork is prob gonna be slightly diff from #2.

And then we will draw our conclusions from that. For now, I'm kinda questioning everything that has ever come out of the so called Win tunnel, especially the tests in which Spesh product has been the direct focus of the test.

#1 and #2 are probably going to be the same due to the behind the fork fairing and the fork being the leading edge. If you remove the brake you're left iwtha gaping hole that has been filled in with the new disc fork so it would be a suspect comparison.

#3 isnt possible because you cant cable a "normal" brake with the ViAS cockpit. Sure you could temporarily bond a brake onto the front, and hack up some fake cabling but then in simple terms you're just comparing a traditional road bike with a front brake and without.

In the end, you will be drawing conclusions no matter what so I dont see a lot of value but to each their own.

From all of this debate, I think its clear that disc brakes (at this point in time) are a little slower as shown in a variety of tests, but the arm chair aero experts seem to be upset that its not as slow as you wish it was.
Quote Reply
Re: New Venge Vias Disc (take a deep breath TomA :) [sxevegan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sxevegan wrote:
With 140mm rotors, my gravel/cx bike doesn't brake any better than my rim braked bikes. I've also heard of people overheating their 140mm rotors on long technical descents.

I'm going to switch to 160mm rotors for cx season. I suspect there will be even more drag at yaw (probably about the same at 0 degrees) but the extra stopping power in CX far outweighs the drag or weight penalty. On a road bike, maybe not.

You might want to rethink that. In 'cross, the overall and max speeds are much lower than on the road, and the descents are very short. You need predictability and modulation in 'cross, not raw power, and overheating is nearly impossible.

Of course, if you're also using the bike for gravel & mixed-media road rides, then the above doesn't apply. But for 'cross racing, 140 is fine (and lighter).
Quote Reply
Re: New Venge Vias Disc (take a deep breath TomA :) [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So something strikes me as odd here, shouldn't this bike be launching with Dura-ace 9100 as it's a "2017" model?

When are we going to see the new dura-ace stuff ship with bikes?

I wasn't in cycling during the 9000 launch so I'm in the dark here if this is normal.

Seems like a perfect candidate as the durace stuff is much lighter than the stuff they launched on this...

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Re: New Venge Vias Disc (take a deep breath TomA :) [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Nailed it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Venge Vias Disc (take a deep breath TomA :) [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey pyrhana, speaking of that proprietary rear thru-axle on the older Venge and Crux

Do you know a dumb trainer that will work with it, with or without an adapter? Use a Kickr at home but want to warm up at cycling races and obviously don't have power source or want to drag Kickr along. Total PITA. Wish I'd paid this more attention before buying
Quote Reply
Re: New Venge Vias Disc (take a deep breath TomA :) [velox canis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My local shop has gone to using the Feedback Omnium trainer for their go to 'fit' trainer. Mostly because of the axle problem on the rear not working with most other trainers. I believe it comes w/ an adapter (or you can get it separately) that will allow you to use it w/ the front through axle. Overall a really nice piece of kit and folds up way better than most trainers for travel. Bit pricey though.
Quote Reply
Re: New Venge Vias Disc (take a deep breath TomA :) [velox canis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roller tend to be:
1. The most universal
2. The lightest
3. The Most portable

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Venge Vias Disc (take a deep breath TomA :) [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Roller tend to be:
1. The most universal
2. The lightest
3. The Most portable

The first two yes. The last, I'd argue with. As a track athlete who carries rollers around to all my track races for warmup. They're harder to carry around than a "travel trainer", even for "portable" rollers. Just my perception.
Quote Reply
Re: New Venge Vias Disc (take a deep breath TomA :) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. I have rollers and am reasonably competent on them but not great. Use them for road and track warmups. Also race cross (on a Crux) and am less comfortable schlepping them out to the middle of some farm field and trying to set them up and ride on some weedy hillside. Sometimes there just isn't a good spot. I've seen the omnium but hadn't given it serious consideration. I do have the FB repair stand and it's exceptional. Perhaps I'll pull the trigger.
Quote Reply

Prev Next