Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IM St.George run course
Quote | Reply
Is it really 1200+ feet of climbing? That would be cool, but I'm skeptical. 1200 feet is a lot of climbing in 13 miles. Last year 12 guys ran under 1:20, including Sanders with the fastest at 1:13. I know that's a couple of minutes slower than he can/has run on other courses, but like I said, 1200 feet is a LOT of climbing.

Is that for real?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was actually just looking at people's runs on strava and 1200 seemed to be the rough average.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [StuckJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impressive. I did a 9.5 mile run a couple of months ago with ~1100 feet (measured on my garmin, so that it for what it's worth) and I had to run up a mountain to get that much.

Anyone know what the downhills are like in St.G? Running DOWN that aforementioned mountain killed my quads for several days.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here the gains/losses by mile i just looked (i check a few and this is pretty average):

1. 109
2. 113
3. 177
4. 99
5. -220
6. -35
7. 83
8. 46
9. 14
10. -74
11. -85
12. -112
13. -110

Again, you'll see variances if you check a few different files but its pretty consistent overall. Its going to be a tough run and, yeah, the quads are probably going to be hurting after the last 4 miles down hill.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [StuckJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great data, thanks. That's awesome (I like hills) and also a little intimidating. Several guys in my AG (M40-44) went under 1:30 for a run with 1200 feet of climbing?! Crap.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I have been hunting long climbs around Charlotte myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you go downhill as fast as you can... which you will the final 3 miles (it is the LAST 3 miles), you're going to have dead legs for days. My legs felt damn near as bad the next day as post full IM.

As for the elevation, it's right... and it boggles my mind that people are posting such fast runs. I'm typically FOP and HOPE to break 1:30 in 30-34. I can't even pretend to entertain a sub 1:25.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More impressive too is it is usually pretty hot like 90 plus and no shade to speak of. I did it in 2015 and it was brutal. The heat is killer, I actually run downhill relatively good so I was happy for the last 3 miles or so. Helped make up the atrocious splits I posted going up the hill :) Good luck!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
griffeyfan04 wrote:
More impressive too is it is usually pretty hot like 90 plus and no shade to speak of. I did it in 2015 and it was brutal. The heat is killer, I actually run downhill relatively good so I was happy for the last 3 miles or so. Helped make up the atrocious splits I posted going up the hill :) Good luck!!

Good stuff! Hoping I don't get too beat up, I've got a week of hiking adventures in Zion planned after the race!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
griffeyfan04 wrote:

Good stuff! Hoping I don't get too beat up, I've got a week of hiking adventures in Zion planned after the race!

It might help a little reviewing context for last year's race. A cold front moved in and it was windy, raining and cold. The swim was frigid and getting out of the water in sheet sheet rain to start the bike was brutal. They were handing out space blankets at the run start. But for me this made the run fast. Part of it likely due to not going as hard on the bike and part of it the cool run temps. I had my HIM PR run which is stupid on this course. You may want to check prior year times. I'm sure in the typical heat the AG run times are much slower.

The event is welll run and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It IS a very difficult run course.

But if you save some energy, you can claw back a lot of time on those last 4 miles.

And if you have burnt too many matches, you can still usually "hold it together" if you make it to mile 9.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It appears that the run course this year (2017) will be different from last year (3016).

Last years run course (2016) was different from 2014.

And 2014 run course was different from 2010s.

Minor differences but worth noting.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Apr 4, 17 13:36
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [griffeyfan04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrong. Last year sucked and was freezing rain on the bike. I was borderline hypothermic and nearly blacked out with 2 miles left on the bike. I don't know how I started the run but it felt like I was running uphill the entire time. I'm a local Utahrd and don't think i'd do that race again.

Instagram or twitter me softly @xatefrogg
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [Xatefrogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm from Utah and watched my buddy do that race for the 3rd or 4th time last year. It was horrible as a spectator but for some crazy reason I want it to be my first 70.3 and I'll be there in 32 days to let it torture me. I haven't done a race since 2009 and it was at Sand Hollow and it was only a Sprint.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [tb801] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a great race.
Challenging, scenic and exciting.

This is a very good championship race course.
It is not a very good course for setting a PR.

Typically, the weather at that time of year should be consistently perfect.

And it has been perfect.
Also hot.
And windy.
Last year it was cold and wet.

Variable conditions make for an interesting race.

Personally, I found that the hot years were not too bad.
It is a spring desert heat. Dry, with temperatures starting out low and not getting high until the early afternoon.

The year it was windy it apparently rewarded disciplined bikers and swimmers.

Last years' rain and cold WAS difficult for me. I didn't have trouble with hypothermia. (I was exercising vigorously). But my bike wheels and shoes took on water- which slowed me down. The radical changes in temperatures was disruptive on my body.

Heavyset athletes seemed to better last year. (Usually the heat and hills work against them).
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not that fast, but I'm so antsy to get to those last 3 miles! 5 weeks can't come sooner.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get some plyometric work in between now and the race. The downs are either short and steep or long and gradual. Being able to run the long and graduals fluidly without applying the brakes will gain (or not lose) you lots of time. I think that you can gain time by being more efficient here that training for hill climbs...just my opinion.

I went into the race in 2015 about 10 lbs. over what I consider my race weight. It was hot (at least it was for me at the time-85º I think) and I was 'fat.' I didn't feel good at any point during the run. Even the gradual down into the finish.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [RudeDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RudeDude wrote:
I'm not that fast, but I'm so antsy to get to those last 3 miles! 5 weeks can't come sooner.

Enjoy the whole process.
Being nervous, suffering through hard workouts and a hard fought race- is all part of the process.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: Apr 4, 17 15:10
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
It appears that the run course this year (2017) will be different from last year (2016).

It looks to me that the run is the exact same as last year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [tb801] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tb801 wrote:
I'm from Utah and watched my buddy do that race for the 3rd or 4th time last year. It was horrible as a spectator but for some crazy reason I want it to be my first 70.3 and I'll be there in 32 days to let it torture me. I haven't done a race since 2009 and it was at Sand Hollow and it was only a Sprint.

I'm with you brother. I've done halves before, but no tris since 2011. Looking forward to some pain in five weeks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
St. George is a great destination and a great race. That course is nothing but honest!

My 2015 RR here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=5534564

Went back for more in 2016 and saw the volatile side of the weather in St. George. Seems appropriate that I've never been so hot as I was on the run in 2015, and never been so cold as I was on the bike in 2016. It is a land of extremes.

Best of luck with 2017! You'll enjoy the venue. Make the most of your day!

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Apr 4, 17 19:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it was pretty crazy. Here's my Strava from last year's run - https://www.strava.com/activities/568804877. I captured 1500 feet and it definitely felt like it!

Good luck to you and I hope you have better weather than we had last year (OMG!). I am actually a little bummed that I'm not going this year and will probably be back in 2018 :-). The weather totally sucked but it was a great honest course as others mentioned. If you are a solid climber, you'll be right at home!
Last edited by: daswafford: Apr 4, 17 19:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't underestimate how hard this run is, especially if it's hot. The turnaround at ~mile 8, looking back up the hill you have to climb, can be very disheartening. It's downhill all the way after that but it is a very difficult run course. I did it in 2014 when it was blazing hot but the times the pros put down still amaze me. So brutal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love this course! The half is such a great race there, but the full was amazing. Especially in '10 and '11 when we got to run two loops of what is now the the 70.3 course. I did it in '11 as my first full and remember the absolute fear I had at the halfway point of the the marathon thinking about doing one more out and back on that course.
I think one of the most underestimated parts of the run course is the first 3 miles. Right out of T2 you have a steady grade, it is tough to get the run legs going. Then you swing a hard right and make the first steep climb. The course is always trying to punish you. It is sooo much fun.
Hoping for better weather than last year. I've been there in '11, '12, '14, '15, and '16 and we have had all kinds of weather. Be prepared for everything.

Also, I rode the bike course a couple of weeks ago and the entire length of Snow Canyon has been repaved. It is perfectly smooth asphalt the entire way! I set a PR on the training ride, it was that nice. The rest of the course was pretty much the same as last year as far as road conditions.

Also, Sand Hollow is VERY full right now. I can't recall the last time I saw the water that high. Water temp today looks like 60 degrees.
Last edited by: jbflyfisher: Apr 5, 17 8:31
Quote Reply
Re: IM St.George run course [jbflyfisher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, the water is 60 5 weeks before raceday?! I HATE cold water, got convinced to sign up with a group of friends, and I have been dreading the swim having heard about years where the water has been high 50s. 60 degrees this far out is the best news ever. I'm praying there are no freak snowstorms to cool it down.
Quote Reply

Prev Next