Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump will no longer be President in... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in general agreement with that.

I'm so far extremely disappointed with the Republicans "plan" to replace Obamacare. I put the blame squarely on Ryan and his cohorts in the House, not Trump, but since he's just rolling with the plan instead of sending them back to figure out something better, he's going to take the hit for it if it turns out bad.

That said, I'm likely to be much better off under that plan than under Obamacare, and so are a whole lot of other people. It might suck, but I am not sure it's going to be politically damaging to Republicans or Trump.

A lot can happen in the next few years, and I don't have a high degree of confidence that Trump won't screw the pooch in some actually significant way. But so far, he hasn't. And yes, the Democrats certainly have an opportunity the next time around, but it remains to be seen who they'll nominate.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Trump will no longer be President in... [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Put me down for leaving at the end of his first term. He may decide not to run again. The guy is our oldest elected president ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump will no longer be President in... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

I'm so far extremely disappointed with the Republicans "plan" to replace Obamacare. I put the blame squarely on Ryan and his cohorts in the House, not Trump, but since he's just rolling with the plan instead of sending them back to figure out something better, he's going to take the hit for it if it turns out bad.

That said, I'm likely to be much better off under that plan than under Obamacare, and so are a whole lot of other people. It might suck, but I am not sure it's going to be politically damaging to Republicans or Trump.

A lot can happen in the next few years, and I don't have a high degree of confidence that Trump won't screw the pooch in some actually significant way. But so far, he hasn't. And yes, the Democrats certainly have an opportunity the next time around, but it remains to be seen who they'll nominate.

I think you're right if we simply look at the # of the people standing to be positively affected by AHCA. However, when you contrast that with the # of people who will be very negatively affected (and their friends and family who may sympathize)...the picture is a lot less clear. I believe that if they pass it in its current form they'll do some real damage to the entire system and of course themselves politically.

The whole movement to repeal Obamacare is way oversold. I don't want to guess how many people don't actually understand what that means but I know it's not insignificant. I hope they succeed so that we can clear up this confusion. It'll be a painful lesson I'm afraid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I don't think any of his base has even thought about pulling their support though, and especially not because he said Obama tapped his phone.

A lot of Trump's support came from the "anyone but Hilary" campaign, more a vote against her than for Trump. The core of his base will support him no matter what (just read some of the posters here) though. None of them will change because of what Obama did, since they hate Obama almost as much as they hate Hilary. It remains to be seen how many of his supporters will continue their infatuation if the jobs don't return, or the economy falters, or the U.S enters another war. Most importantly however, will be the impact of any new healthcare bill on the average working American.

If he keeps doing what he's doing, he's going to get every single vote he got last time and then some. Who are the Democrats going to put up against him?

If the Democrats put up anyone but Hilary, they will do better. With Trump's continued acts of self-destruction, I think a lot of people will be mobilized, far more than were ready to stand up for Hilary. Just having a unified party, instead of the Sanders/Clinton divide will likely mean a Democratic win.

Trump has a chance to do some good if he could ever get off Twitter and start actually trying to govern but I don't see it. I don't think he has the least bit of interest in policies and governing. His supporters seem to love the different approach to governing but it may well wear thin, not for them but for a lot of the people who voted against Hilary. I also think Trump's biggest challenge in 2020 might be from within the Republican party.

I agree with most of what you said especially the anyone but Hillary portion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put the blame squarely on Ryan and his cohorts in the House, not Trump, but since he's just rolling with the plan instead of sending them back to figure out something better, he's going to take the hit for it if it turns out bad.

I really thought that Ryan was going to be the one to challenge Trump in 2020. I thought he would be in a good position to come out as the one able to reach across the aisle and get things done and he would attract the more Conservative part of the party. I was hoping that he could present a good alternative to Obamacare that the Party would get behind.

I was very surprised that what he presented was so different than something the Conservatives and he would normally support, or at least thought he would normally support. Now he is in a bit of a bind. If it passes, Trump will come out as the great negotiator, having bridged some of the early doubters. If it doesn't pass, Ryan will get the blame for introducing a bill that was Obamacare light. Meanwhile, Ryan introduced something that is not going to please the same people he needed if he was going to stand for the Conservative base.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a lot of people will be mobilized, far more than were ready to stand up for Hilary. Just having a unified party, instead of the Sanders/Clinton divide will likely mean a Democratic win.

Post election analysis was that because of the unpopularity of BOTH candidates - a lot of people stayed home! This probably hurt the democrats more than the Republicans. And again, the REAL difference in the Election was a couple 100,000 votes in a few key states. What if the voter turn-out in those states was higher?

Already what you are seeing is a greater level of political interest and engagement, BECAUSE of Trump - the numbers turning out to vote in both the 2018 mid-terms and then again in 2020 will be higher - that's a good thing, but again, typically higher voter turn-out tends to favour the Democrats.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Trump will no longer be President in... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
The iller he gets, the more his base likes him. People like me will always vote red, and lets be frank, what democrats think doesn't matter.

The first part of this is 100% correct when talking about the hard-core base of supporters for populist style of politicians such as Trump. The truly hard-core base will support him right up to the absolute proving of any wrong-doing. All the blustering, blundering, mistakes, incompetence etc . . does not matter. He's there guy!

That says a lot about the last 8 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump will no longer be President in... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Already what you are seeing is a greater level of political interest and engagement, BECAUSE of Trump.

Nope, only among those unable to get over the election. Everyone I talk to just wants the left to shut up. People are tired of politics and most want to give Trump a chance. I get it that a bunch of Canadians on ST seem to be upset but your transferring your feelings to millions of Americans who are trying to live their lives.

And no the Women's march is not indicative of political interest. You can get millions of nuts to show up for anything and that's pretty much what you had. Most couldn't tell you why they were there. And once the Bachelor brought out new episodes a lot vanished.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump will no longer be President in... [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, only among those unable to get over the election. Everyone I talk to just wants the left to shut up. People are tired of politics and most want to give Trump a chance. I get it that a bunch of Canadians on ST seem to be upset but your transferring your feelings to millions of Americans who are trying to live their lives.

1) It's an election. What's done is done (Hopefully it was all fair). Need to move on.

2) It seems the President keeps referencing the election frequently - the results, the numbers, who won who lost etc . . why is that?

3) Yes, people say they are tired of politics, but political decisions do impact them positively and negatively Our democratic systems work best the more engaged people are - what's wrong with being politically engaged? What's better - no engagement?

4) No transfer of feelings I just happen to enjoy a good debate.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Trump will no longer be President in... [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Nope, only among those unable to get over the election.

Worst polls, ever. This isn't just a bunch of whiney people who didn't get their way. This is something much different.

Quote:
Everyone I talk to just wants the left to shut up.

Of course, that excludes everyone you talk to who doesn't just want that.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Trump will no longer be President in... [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You know, Trump does things that piss me off, or leave me with a face palm. He brings unnecessary problems on himself. But then I remember how much more everything he does bothers the left and democrat, then I'm ok with it. Then again, I elected him knowing that he would replace Scalia with a good judge which will be done this week. I also don't care if the whole thing burns since I don't particularly think gov't is a solution. So pretty much anything he does is either contributing to that goal or at least tolerable to me. But for you, it really sucks. You guys are more upset than I was with Obama in the office. All that pent up anger of mine from 8 years of Obama may be washed within 4 of trump, and I'm betting we get the full 8.

Here is what I think. I think we are saturated with the earth is falling every day with this guy that the important stuff doesn't matter, or people have tuned out the important stuff. It will only get worse. I bet by November 2020, you could have a picture of Trump grabbing a chick by the pussy and it won't matter because the base and moderates will have had any possible shock beaten out of them.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Trump will no longer be President in... [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New option:

He is gone after one SCOTUS nomination-0
He is gone after two-2

I will go for two

Brownie28 wrote:
Ok so this has been a fun three weeks, I've gotten a kick out of most of it, been alarmed by some of it, been embarrassed about a decent amount of it, but mostly I see a trainwreck that could rumble on for years and I wonder: how long do people believe Trump will 'last'? Will he serve out the term, get reelected in 2020, get impeached or (god forbid) assassinated before he finishes his term?

These are your options, add to the number next to the one you're voting for. Add an explanation below your answer, extra credit for entertaining explanations.

He's gone before Q2 2017 - 0
He's gone before Q1 2018 - 0
He's gone after serving out one term (2020) - 1
He's gone after serving out two terms (2024) - 0
He's never gone, bow down to your new overlord - 0

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Trump will no longer be President in... [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's the fucked up part. "What are his qualifications?" "People hate him because he's incompetent."

You know, its only one of the most important jobs on the planet.

Quote:
You know, Trump does things that piss me off, or leave me with a face palm. He brings unnecessary problems on himself. But then I remember how much more everything he does bothers the left and democrat, then I'm ok with it.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
That's the fucked up part. "What are his qualifications?" "People hate him because he's incompetent."

Quote:
You know, Trump does things that piss me off, or leave me with a face palm. He brings unnecessary problems on himself. But then I remember how much more everything he does bothers the left and democrat, then I'm ok with it.

I deem only two past Presidents in the last 100 years as truly qualified: Eisenhower and George HW Bush.
I deem the following as qualified: FDR, Carter, Reagan, Clinton, George W Bush, Wilson, Coolidge
Barely Qualified: Nixon, Truman, LBJ, Ford, Harding,
Unqualified: Kennedy Obama Trump Hoover
Quote Reply
Re: Trump will no longer be President in... [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Quote:

I deem only two past Presidents in the last 100 years as truly qualified: Eisenhower and George HW Bush.
I deem the following as qualified: FDR, Carter, Reagan, Clinton, George W Bush, Wilson, Coolidge

Ford barely qualified? 25 years in congress. House minority leader. Vice President. That isn't enough?

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Trump will no longer be President in... [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
windywave wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Quote:

Ford barely qualified? 25 years in congress. House minority leader. Vice President. That isn't enough?

Nope. What do the other barely qualified(s) have in common?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump will no longer be President in... [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
windywave wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Quote:

He tripped getting off of an airplane, that made him unqualified.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering I would have elected a tin can over Hillary that tells you how little I hold the position qualifications. The govt had three branches and the president should have little power. We don't elect a king. But democrats long believed in more central power and congress has gladly put all the tough decisions that run the levers of power in the executive branches control.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Considering I would have elected a tin can over Hillary that tells you how little I hold the position qualifications. The govt had three branches and the president should have little power. We don't elect a king. But democrats long believed in more central power and congress has gladly put all the tough decisions that run the levers of power in the executive branches control.

Hillary would be in her own category of completely unqualified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I think not having a president with a republican congress is better than either. As you can see, govt seems to be working. Ruining relationships? Gimme a break. That's the beauty of being the us. The world hates us except when they want something. That doesn't matter who is in charge. Maybe trump keeps them on their toes. Maybe he takes away a few handouts threat are long overdue. That's not a bad thing. His budget cuts all sorts of funding for crap I don't think should be funded. But the reality is, it is just a suggestion and he is proving he can't tell congress what to do.

But if his ideas send a shiver up the spine of allies who have taken advantage of our generosity. Good. Fuck them.

Last edited by: TheForge: Mar 21, 17 22:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i think i've mentioned this before, but i'm also curious about trump's health. of course, john mccain is living proof of the problems with trying to run actuarial tables on a candidate, but a few of the pictures i've seen of trump, he really doesn't look like a well man. splotchy, heavy, mottled . . . i know he doesn't take great care of himself (w/r/t diet and exercise) and his stress factor will have just shot through the roof, and he is 70.

on the other hand, he does talk a lot about his vigor, and maybe he's got great genes - don't know about that. but his health has crossed my mind. . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I move Nixon up to qualified and Bush down a notch to qualified. I move Carter down a notch.

windywave wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Quote:

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

I don't think the GOP as a whole will be damaged by it. In general it's good for those who vote GOP. Trump on the other hand should be damaged by it as it will negatively affect a large portion of his voters. Note: I said should. Based on the unwavering support this group gives him, it probably won't negatively affect him.

Again with the comparisons to Rob Ford, if he hadn't died from cancer I can almost guarantee that Ford Nation would have pushed hard for him to be re-elected mayor. Even after the crack scandal turned out to be completely true. Even after he drunkenly spoke with a Jamaican accent and it was broadcast. Even after... (it goes on and on...)

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Trump will no longer be President in... [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When putin blows whistle on trump when no longer useful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
BarryP wrote:

Quote:

This needs it own thread. Great topic.
Quote Reply

Prev Next