Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: College wrestling: 2017 NCAA Championships [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OSU also just had Collica at 149 who was the 2 seed got eliminated this morning after getting upset last night. Ouch.
Quote Reply
Re: College wrestling: 2017 NCAA Championships [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
# 2 seed Kemerer from Iowa was pinned...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"It looks like the top seeds got through but there is no stopping Penn State, barring some major upsets. Iowa and OSU have to be happy with their performance but they just don't have the firepower to stop Penn."

No to put too fine of a point on it, but Penn is an Ivy League school in Philadelphia (and Trump's alma mater) and Penn State is a sports factory in the middle of the state. Anyway, carry on...

Edit: Before the giant alumni base of PSU starts roaring, Penn State is also a fine university.

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Re: College wrestling: 2017 NCAA Championships [teekona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to go ahead and say that of the three of us commenting on this thread, nobody is going to nit pick that too much.
Quote Reply
Re: College wrestling: 2017 NCAA Championships [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point.

"Honestly, triathlon is a pussified version of duathlon on that final run."- Desert Dude

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No to put too fine of a point on it, but Penn is an Ivy League school in Philadelphia (and Trump's alma mater) and Penn State is a sports factory in the middle of the state. Anyway, carry on...

To be honest I didn't know that.

I guess it's safer to say PSU (unless there are more schools that can't think of a unique name...)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quarterfinals looked like a fun round. Glancing through the brackets I am noticing that it doesn't look like there will be many big team match ups in the semis and finals. I see two Iowa-Penn State matches in the Semis, but other than that there isn't much. I don't know if it would matter when Penn State already has a 14 point lead though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, Penn is the University of Pennsylvania and Penn State is Pennsylvania State University.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
# 2 seed Kemerer from Iowa was pinned...

Cornell had four wins today in their last matches: two Peterson pins, a straight fall, and an OT decision.

Crazy that the OT win was their undefeated #1!

Palacio (over Kemerer) is one of the most entertaining wrestlers around. He doesn't dominate like Retherford, Nolf, or Nickal, but he manages to create crazy situations that he always takes advantage of. He is a killer on bottom, nobody can out scramble him in neutral. You gotta hit a blast double to take him down. He is his own worst enemy at times.

Realbuto looks as good as he has ever: two 2nd period TFs and a 1st period fall in the quarters.

Dean looks uncharacteristically sloppy. Dechow has always wrestled him tough.

Womack ("Bama") is a calmer version of Palacio.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

To be honest I didn't know that.

I guess it's safer to say PSU (unless there are more schools that can't think of a unique name...)

Some call it "State Pen[n]".

When I was in college, the Philly school was always called "Penn", but I hear more people call it "UPenn" these days.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: College wrestling: 2017 NCAA Championships [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe they're trying to distance themselves from their Alumni President...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gilman loses at 125 semis in sudden death. Former hawkeye turned SDSU jackrabbit (my wife cheered for them in the 90's) SETH gross wins and advances to finals. I hate Iowa. Now if Duke could also lose in The tourney...
Last edited by: ChrisT: Mar 17, 17 17:57
Quote Reply
Re: College wrestling: 2017 NCAA Championships [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I said this in a different thread, but I am a HUGE fan of Gross. Having wrestled him before will do that. His story is interesting too. Did some stupid things his freshman year at Iowa and got kicked out. Told Bruno at SDSU that it wouldn't happen again and I think he has redeemed himself to some degree.

My Gophers have shown pretty well. Lizak dominated that match, and with Gilman losing, I would think he has a great chance to be a national champion now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
I said this in a different thread, but I am a HUGE fan of Gross. Having wrestled him before will do that. His story is interesting too. Did some stupid things his freshman year at Iowa and got kicked out. Told Bruno at SDSU that it wouldn't happen again and I think he has redeemed himself to some degree.

My Gophers have shown pretty well. Lizak dominated that match, and with Gilman losing, I would think he has a great chance to be a national champion now.

So how did you do against him?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wanted to wait until tomorrow so I could humble brag haha. I won 11-10. I was senior and I think he was a freshman at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MIZ----------ZOU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great match but a tough loss for Gross today. Must have been how he felt back in HS against you.
Last edited by: ChrisT: Mar 19, 17 8:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Edit: Before the giant alumni base of PSU starts roaring, Penn State is also a fine university.

Mrs sphere and I are both surrounded by Penn State grads at work. The cult-like adoration for all things PSU is a little unsettling. Multiple PSU-themed weddings already, and a PSU themed baby name to boot.

We call them Liontologists. Seems fitting.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HAHA. He was also pretty undersized then too. I think he would kick my ass up and down the floor now if we were to rematch.

I was dissappointed with Lizak's match at 125. Didn't do a whole lot and never really took any chances to try to win the match.

Wow did Penn State dominate. 5 titles is incredible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And Duke loses in basketball. My weekend is complete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take that shit to the March Madness thread!!

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Last edited by: Runningwithbees: Mar 20, 17 6:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iowa still produced the best moment of the tourney when Cory Clark threw Terry to the mat after he won.
Quote Reply
Re: College wrestling: 2017 NCAA Championships [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meh- I suppose, but Clark didn't want to do it. If you watched the replay, Brands says "Throw me" and Clark says no, but he tells him again, and he does it. Trying to show that they are as fun as PSU? :-)

Quote Reply
Re: College wrestling: 2017 NCAA Championships [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain. I know a couple who are good friends and both graduated from PSU. They're not obnoxious like some folks I see who have their cars plastered with decals and stickers, but when they get together with their old college chums, it's like they are back at Happy Valley again.

I told one of them once that I never really cared for Paterno (this was pre Sandusky scandal) and Penn State's program, and they looked at me like I had two heads.

BTW, Liontologists is awesome.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you know Terry that is what makes it fantastic.
Quote Reply

Prev Next