Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Disagree. If I'm killing a cow to eat it's because I want to eat that cow.

She's partaking in sex for the sake of sex and killing a life form that could be an unintended consequence. As JSA said earlier it's easily preventable. She and her partner are either being lazy and/or selfish.

So you'd be okay with it if she did it with the intent to eat the fetus?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
Disagree. If I'm killing a cow to eat it's because I want to eat that cow.

She's partaking in sex for the sake of sex and killing a life form that could be an unintended consequence. As JSA said earlier it's easily preventable. She and her partner are either being lazy and/or selfish.

So you'd be okay with it if she did it with the intent to eat the fetus?

or even some other use like research?

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could be convinced to say that prior to the fetus attaining personhood the fetus' rights are subsumed into and inferior to the mother's rights. For instance, you cannot kill my fetus without my consent but I can.

That's essentially what the law says now. I think it's an incoherent position. Either the fetus has rights or it doesn't. And if it has rights, it might be reasonable to balance those rights against the mothers in certain situations. But there is no other circumstance in which we say one entity has rights if someone else says so.

The rub is deciding when the fetus attains personhood. You go with conception, I go with brain activity.

That's one rub. I think brain activity is an understandable point at which to ascribe personhood to the fetus. (I also think if you're going to say that, it really isn't hyperbole to describe abortion after that point as murder.)

There's also the question of whether or not it's morally permissible to kill a human being that hasn't yet attained personhood.

"but is there some fundamental "right to not be pregnant even though I had sex"?"
Is this not the whole point of contraception? I don't think you mean to outlaw contraception but not sure.

Well, yes, that's the point of contraception. No, I don't mean to outlaw abortion here. What I'm saying is that there doesn't seem to me to be much of a case for saying a woman who has sex and got pregnant has some fundamental right to erase the biological consequence of that act- after the fact.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I don't even think that this is a relevant point.

Lets assume that 100% of 10 week old fetuses will eventually become "people." That doesn't mean that they are people. It means that they are organs that will turn into people.

The issue that they have (assuming that they accept this premise) is that you would be terminating a future human being, except that future human beings don't actually exist in any other way than as a concept.

Consider this (and I think this is what you meant). I have a sperm, my wife has an egg. Lets assume we have the technology to make pregnancy 100% likely. If I pull out, am I committing murder? I just killed a sperm, which is alive. The egg will likely die, too. And those two would have become a person had I stayed in.

The difference is at what stage in the process does someone believe that the organism has a right to not have its development terminated. But a thoughtless organism is most certainly not yet a person.

Quote:
SA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
BarryP wrote:
If we are talking about a fetus before brain waves (~12 weeks) it is, for all intents and purposes, no different than any other organ, excepting that it will probably become a separate sentient human being, eventually.

That's a pretty MASSIVE difference!!!

no its not. you abort a fetus, not a possibility of a human. you have no way of knowing if the aborted fetus would have ever survived or aborted on its own.

if you want to talk about the possibility of life as an argument against abortion then you commit a holocaust every time you masturbate. monster!
You are not very good at this. Of course we know what happens to a fetus when not aborted. We have over 7.4 billion examples currently walking around.

More to the point - it is inconceivable to me that a vegan could be "pro-choice."
no, you dont. you know one possible outcome and are incorrectly assuming that it is the only outcome. you would be correct only if 100% of pregnancies resulted in live births if not aborted by choice.

we know thats not even close to reality.

heres how a vegan can be peo choice in a super dumbed down argument: a cow demonstrably suffers more than a 12 week old fetus. about 90% of abortions happen before the 13th week..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Lets assume that 100% of 10 week old fetuses will eventually become "people." That doesn't mean that they are people. It means that they are organs that will turn into people.

Not "organs." Organisms. Human organisms. Human beings that will develop into - not "turn into"- persons.

, except that future human beings don't actually exist in any other way than as a concept.

That is just not true. Before your parents conceived you, you didn't actually exist in any other way than as a concept, maybe. Once you were conceived, you existed. Just as you existed as an infant, even though adult Barry had not yet developed. You are the same human organism.

The difference is at what stage in the process does someone believe that the organism has a right to not have its development terminated.

No, the difference is at what stage in the process science tells us an organism exists- and that stage is conception. Your sperm cells are not organisms. Your wife's ova are not organisms. The fertilized egg is.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Not "organs." Organisms. Human organisms. Human beings that will develop into - not "turn into"- persons.

, except that future human beings don't actually exist in any other way than as a concept.

That is just not true. Before your parents conceived you, you didn't actually exist in any other way than as a concept, maybe. Once you were conceived, you existed. Just as you existed as an infant, even though adult Barry had not yet developed. You are the same human organism.

The difference is at what stage in the process does someone believe that the organism has a right to not have its development terminated.

No, the difference is at what stage in the process science tells us an organism exists- and that stage is conception. Your sperm cells are not organisms. Your wife's ova are not organisms. The fertilized egg is.

is your position that we must treat fertalized eggs as humans because they have the potential to become humans?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Consider this (and I think this is what you meant). I have a sperm, my wife has an egg. Lets assume we have the technology to make pregnancy 100% likely. If I pull out, am I committing murder? I just killed a sperm, which is alive. The egg will likely die, too. And those two would have become a person had I stayed in.

this is one of the ways the potential human argument breaks down.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

is your position that we must treat fertalized eggs as humans because they have the potential to become humans?

Is it your position that they aren't humans?

What are they, then?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Not "organs." Organisms.

I understand. The point I was making is that they are no different, other than one *becomes* a person. They are both just living tissue.

Quote:
Once you were conceived, you existed.

I disagree. *I* am my mind, not my flesh.

Quote:
No, the difference is at what stage in the process science tells us an organism exists- .......

Science tells you a lot about human development. It doesn't, however, tell you at what point an organism should have rights.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Is it your position that they aren't humans?

What are they, then?

you didnt answer the simple question.

yes that is my position. they arent humans, there fertalized eggs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they are not human beings - they are a single cell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
I think from the point of conception.

Question remains. You were a fertilized egg once. In a very real sense, you're still a fertilized egg. You speak of fertilized eggs contemptuously. At what point, in your opinion, do they obtain rights?

Related but distinct question: At what point, in your opinion, do they obtain value?

certainky not before there is any conciousness.

how do you feel about in vitro fertilization

Many fetuses that are in the first trimester move away from the abortion instruments and fight to live in the womb based on testimonies and videos that I have seen, so do they meet the consciousness standard you have set?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I disagree. *I* am my mind, not my flesh.

That's a stunningly dualist statement- and wholly unscientific. But OK.

What happens when you fall asleep and don't dream? Barry ceases to exist other than as a concept or a potentiality, and only living tissue remains until you wake up?

Science tells you a lot about human development. It doesn't, however, tell you at what point an organism should have rights.

Completely agree. Science doesn't tell you when an organism has rights, or if there are any rights, or even if there are persons. We're deep in remedial work here, though, just trying to establish what basic biology has conclusively determined- that the fertilized egg is a distinct human organism. Once we get past bio 101, we can move on to the interesting stuff. How about it?

Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

So what? How many cells does an organism need to have before it's a human being?

If it's not a human being, what is it?

Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Many fetuses that are in the first trimester move away from the abortion instruments and fight to live in the womb based on testimonies and videos that I have seen, so do they meet the consciousness standard you have set?

im doubtful, please convince me with evidence.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they arent humans, there fertalized eggs.

It's like saying you aren't a human, you're a biped.

On the spectrum of science denial, your position is closer to the flat earthers than it is climate change skeptics.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

So what? How many cells does an organism need to have before it's a human being?

how many water molecules does something need to have before its wet?

Quote:

i already answered this. why are you asking again?

also, why wont you answer my simple question?

is it your position that fertaized eggs should be treated as humans because they have the potential to become humans?

eta: i mistakingly thought you were replying to me.

Last edited by: veganerd: Mar 13, 17 9:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
they arent humans, there fertalized eggs.

It's like saying you aren't a human, you're a biped.

On the spectrum of science denial, your position is closer to the flat earthers than it is climate change skeptics.

not remotely accurate. can you pick out a picture of a human in a line up? yes or no?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

The difficulty with that whole line of argument for the pro-choice side which want to use "humaness" as an argument to allow abortion is that even newborns and young children aren't really human beings from a cognitive standpoint. The cognitive traits that makes a person a human being and not just some sort of really smart animal take a few years to develop.

Modern society seems to have decided birth is the moment the human gets rights but I know historically many cultures found nothing particularly wrong with infanticide which probably reflects to some degree the recognition that a very young child isn't really fully human yet.
Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

The difficulty with that whole line of argument for the pro-choice side which want to use "humaness" as an argument to allow abortion is that even newborns and young children aren't really human beings from a cognitive standpoint. The cognitive traits that makes a person a human being and not just some sort of really smart animal take a few years to develop.

Modern society seems to have decided birth is the moment the human gets rights but I know historically many cultures found nothing particularly wrong with infanticide which probably reflects to some degree the recognition that a very young child isn't really fully human yet.

youre equivocating between human-adjective and human-noun.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how many water molecules does something need to have before its wet?

The question is how many water molecules does something need to have before it's water.

And the answer is, of course, only one. Just because you can't perceive it as wet, or because you can't pour it into a glass, or water your garden with it does not matter in the least. It remains water.

How can it be water when it doesn't look to us to have any of the characteristics we associate with water, though?! It's just a molecule!

It's a molecule of water. It's water. Basic science.

is it your position that fertaized eggs should be treated as humans because they have the potential to become humans?

No, it's my position that fertilized human eggs should be treated as humans because they are humans. Again, basic science. Very basic.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

youre equivocating between human-adjective and human-noun.

Regardless, the point is there is very little that is distinctly human (unless all you mean by the term "human" or "human being" is a member of the species H. sapiens) about a very young child that differentiates it from a fetus beyond both of their potentials to become a fully human being.

Really the major difference is that after birth some other human beings could potentially provide the life-giving support that pre-birth only the mother could provide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
No, it's my position that fertilized human eggs should be treated as humans because they are humans. Again, basic science. Very basic.

no. its not basic science. its simply your assertion.

Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Professor Singer of Princeton would argue they were on to something. If personhood is the cut off, and if person depends on consciousness, there's a decent enough argument to be made that consciousness isn't evident at least until use of language develops. Brain wave activity is not consciousness. Nor is response to stimuli. People use those benchmarks, I think, because they're just super creeped out by the thought of infanticide. But many of their objections to protecting life from conception could be applied quite consistently to their own position. If you choose development of a brain stem or brain wave activity or the ability to respond to stimuli as the point at which a fetus has rights, you aren't really protecting a person- especially not if you hold that the person is the mind, wholly distinct from the body. You're still just protecting a being that is developing into a person, and is only farther along in the process.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, similar to my assertion that a single molecule of H20 is water.

But by all means, let me know what your alternative theory is.

Quote Reply

Prev Next