Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [wasusnowme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wasusnowme wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
How very republican of you to pass judgment on someone's personal choices that are none of your business.

There are lots of things people make personal choices about that don't have a direct impact on my life. If a couple makes a "personal choice" to abort a child, and the child can't speak for themselves, is it okay to speak out on that child's behalf or is it only the business of the couple?

Your business ends at the end of you nose. If it has no impact on your life, it doesn't concern you. If you have sperm in the game, then it does.

Using your logic, if I walk upon a woman being raped or a child being sexual abused, I should just keep walking because it isn't any of my business.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your business ends at the end of you nose. If it has no impact on your life, it doesn't concern you. If you have sperm in the game, then it does.

What if the woman makes the choice on her own?
Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dvfmfidc wrote:
How very liberal of you to assume all republicans pass judgment on the choices another makes regarding abortions...

The vast majority of hypocritical conservatives / republicans are far too concerned with other people's business and rely on government to enforce their intolerance.

I have a personality disorder, I don't drink coffee...
Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
How very republican of you to pass judgment on someone's personal choices that are none of your business.

There are lots of things people make personal choices about that don't have a direct impact on my life. If a couple makes a "personal choice" to abort a child, and the child can't speak for themselves, is it okay to speak out on that child's behalf or is it only the business of the couple?

Using your logic, if I walk upon a woman being raped or a child being sexual abused, I should just keep walking because it isn't any of my business.

That's quite a leap, even for you. The last time I checked, abortion was not a criminal act. Those who believe it is are radical conservative terrorists.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, ok.
Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

awareness is perception.

Is it? Then define perception.

i did answer the question. value is subjective, so there is no tidy answer to your question.

You most certainly did not answer my question. Does a being only have value if it has rights? How does that response pertain to the human fetus?

It's true that values are subjective. So what? You're values about the sexual abuse of minors are subjective, right? Never heard you object to answering a question about that on the grounds that values are subjective and therefore meaningless.

Stop hiding and answer the question.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
Define "consciousness."

Then, is the point at which a being has "rights" the same point at which a being has value?

in this context i wouls define it as an awareness of stimuli.

value is subjective.

abortion at 1 week of pregnancy vs successful ivf procedure. which one is worse in your opinion?

Single cell organisms exhibit awareness of stimuli.

such as?

Um ... bacteria.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wasusnowme wrote:
JSA wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

That's quite a leap, even for you. The last time I checked, abortion was not a criminal act. Those who believe it is are radical conservative terrorists.

I'm not comparing abortion to anything. I did not mention abortion, did not refer to abortion, and was not addressing abortion.

Look at what you wrote. Look at it. Using your logic, if I walk upon a woman being raped or a child being sexually abused, I should just keep walking because it isn't any of my business.

If that is not what you meant, then learn to write intelligently and work on your ability to express yourself through the written word.

So, do you care to revise your original answer to Sanuk or continue to look like a unintelligible boob?

Last edited by: JSA: Mar 12, 17 15:48
Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

She must have had a good reason not to have your baby, and, quite frankly, I don't blame her.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wasusnowme wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

She must have had a good reason not to have your baby, and, quite frankly, I don't blame her.

How very elitist and judgmental of you. Of course, you are the guy who thinks a man should not intervene when coming upon a woman who is being raped or a child being sexually abused because it is none of your business.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
JSA wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I'm not comparing abortion to anything. I did not mention abortion, did not refer to abortion, and was not addressing abortion.

Look at what you wrote. Look at it. Using your logic, if I walk upon a woman being raped or a child being sexually abused, I should just keep walking because it isn't any of my business.

If that is not what you meant, then learn to write intelligently and work on your ability to express yourself through the written word.

So, do you care to revise your original answer to Sanuk or continue to look like a unintelligible boob?

I love how you people wander off topic and then take the [supposed] logical high ground when someone responds within the context of the original posting. Responding appropriately to stumbling upon a criminal act is one of the responsibilities we assume when we decide to be a member of a society that has gone to the trouble of determining what is, and what is not, a criminal act.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

How very elitist and judgmental of you. Of course, you are the guy who thinks a man should not intervene when coming upon a woman who is being raped or a child being sexually abused because it is none of your business.

You have no idea what I think, and, you have no proof of my gender.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
JSA wrote:
veganerd wrote:
vitus979 wrote:
Define "consciousness."

Then, is the point at which a being has "rights" the same point at which a being has value?

in this context i wouls define it as an awareness of stimuli.

value is subjective.

abortion at 1 week of pregnancy vs successful ivf procedure. which one is worse in your opinion?

Single cell organisms exhibit awareness of stimuli.

such as?

Um ... bacteria.

thats the 2d level of consciousness. its not the same thing.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Until when?

The million dollar question that we seem to never spend any time or money attempting to figure out. For me the "When" is at the exact moment that the fertilized egg crosses from a fertilized egg to a human individual life. Unfortunately I don't think we have either adequately defined what exactly constitutes a human individual life and certainly have not discovered when that takes place in the development of a human being.

To me this is a question that needs to be answered and will play into all of the other discussions like end of life scenario's, coma, dementia, various mental illness etc etc. What exactly must exist for a human individual to exist? We simply don't have that answer yet, IMO.

If at some point we define that then abortion would be murder after that point...assuming that point even takes place in the womb. It would not be murder to stop the beating heart of a human that had lost those qualities, something I think that is not only possible but probably quite probably in cases of dementia, coma etc.

Personally I don't think we even attempt to figure this out for the reason that I think that no matter what is discovered it's going to make a good portion of the population uncomfortable.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

lol.

I say again: Define consciousness.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
awareness is perception.

Is it? Then define perception.

i did answer the question. value is subjective, so there is no tidy answer to your question.

You most certainly did not answer my question. Does a being only have value if it has rights? How does that response pertain to the human fetus?

It's true that values are subjective. So what? You're values about the sexual abuse of minors are subjective, right? Never heard you object to answering a question about that on the grounds that values are subjective and therefore meaningless.

Stop hiding and answer the question.

this is really rich since ive asked you a question multiple times and you repeatedly ignore it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

lol.

I say again: Define consciousness.

i gave you a simple definition for the purposes of this discussion. i even said that's what i was doing.

glad you got the joke.

Last edited by: veganerd: Mar 12, 17 16:34
Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I don't think we have either adequately defined what exactly constitutes a human individual life

We have, and it's really not a matter in serious dispute: And individual human life, or individual human organism, or human being, comes into being at conception. That's simply a matter of science, as they say. It's not really arguable, and that science was settled a very long time ago.

When a human being/human life/human organism becomes a person is perhaps more arguable. Perhaps.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You didn't, and now you're pretending to talk about "levels" of consciousness, as if they're not only known to every but settled, and meaningful.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The vast majority of hypocritical conservatives / republicans are far too concerned with other people's business and rely on government to enforce their intolerance.

I am conservative and oppose abortion, not because I am concerned with other people's business as much as a concern for murdering a defenseless human being. I gather that makes me "intolerant"...

By the way, what exactly does the government enforce about my opposition to abortion?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
When a human being/human life/human organism becomes a person is perhaps more arguable.Perhaps.

If it's not arguable (perhaps), then there would never be a debate on this. In vitro?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wasusnowme wrote:
JSA wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

That you would turn a blind eye towards sexual assault makes you a despicable person regardless of your gender.

Quote Reply
Re: One for the pro choice crowd... [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If we are talking about a fetus before brain waves (~12 weeks) it is, for all intents and purposes, no different than any other organ, excepting that it will probably become a separate sentient human being, eventually.

One point to be clear on, if you disagree with that, that's fine. But understand that selfishness and immorality are not the motivators that drive that decision.

Quote:
Whilst I believe there are many situations where the choice is understandable, I saw nothing in her story that could argue it would be anything other than selfish and immoral. To me, at that age, if you're educated and financially stable, to not take adequate precautions (on multiple levels if required) is beginning to show a genuine contempt for life. Not sure I can fully reconcile my position (on her) versus say naĂ¯ve teenagers but that was what I took away from reading her story.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
JSA wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

That you would turn a blind eye towards sexual assault makes you a despicable person regardless of your gender.

You obviously missed my response to your accusation. Try paging up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wasusnowme wrote:
JSA wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
JSA wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

I love how you people wander off topic and then take the [supposed] logical high ground when someone responds within the context of the original posting. Responding appropriately to stumbling upon a criminal act is one of the responsibilities we assume when we decide to be a member of a society that has gone to the trouble of determining what is, and what is not, a criminal act.

So now you sit as judge and jury to decide what is and is not a criminal act???

Wow. I really hope these posts merely evince your inability to formulate a coherent thought into written word and are not a reflection of your insanely warped mind.

Quote Reply

Prev Next