Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I talked to Cervelo about the test protocol and showed them this thread. I was told "wait for the whitepaper." I keep an open mind when it comes to manufacturer claims but I want more evidence. I have a hard time spending $5000 on a P5 frame knowing that it's a bike designed from 2009-2012.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I have no other choice.

What will it take disc-brake advocates to stop caring about what the rest of us use?
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Simple - when a bike I lust after happens to have disc brakes, that's when I'll switch.

Pretty much
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At some point, one will have no choice. Then I will switch. But knowing how many times my roadie buddies had to have their disc brakes serviced (hydraulics being the weak link), I can't see myself switching anytime soon. They don't even race so worst case scenario they don't do a ride or 2. Imagine this scenario happen in a IM that you trained 18-20 weeks for? I'd lose my shit...

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who cares when it was designed if it's faster. There's a reason people snap up the P4. Why not simply pick up an old fast frame and spend the rest on tunnel/velodrome testing? I was under the impression that racing was about going as fast as possible, so why not do it smarter?
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't you just do TTs?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but I do many 50, 100 mile, and 12hr ones, so your integration argument won't work with me.
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
I'll accept it as soon as my Andean gets here...if it is not slow and if it does not completely suck.

I amended your statement to apply to me (and hopefully to you as well).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read on a Canyon ad that disk brakes are 1.5% slower.
Never needed them on my tri bike. Never will.
Will they standardize the size? The expense of training wheels and varying race wheels makes it unreasonable.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you find the ad?

Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
But knowing how many times my roadie buddies had to have their disc brakes serviced (hydraulics being the weak link), I can't see myself switching anytime soon. They don't even race so worst case scenario they don't do a ride or 2. Imagine this scenario happen in a IM that you trained 18-20 weeks for? I'd lose my shit...

Yes, in addition to the other major barriers (aerodynamic and braking performance/heat dissipation issues), I think it will be essential for high performance disc brakes to also be avail as cable actuated instead of hydraulic only. In other words, we need to have a choice.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That'd never happen - now we are talking about a frame being practically hollow with 2 extra cables running through it. How would the same set of brakes be able to do mech+hydralic actuation? You'd have to switch the cables methinks...

Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I think you may have misunderstood what I posted.

I meant that, just like now you can decide to run di2 or run mechanical shifting on most bikes, hopefully in the future you can decide to run hydraulic or run cable-actuated disc brakes. This would, of course, entail different brakes and brake levers.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I see. Yeah, that'd make a ton of sense. Different price points but ability to shift from one to another. That'd be sweet in fact.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
No, I think you may have misunderstood what I posted.

I meant that, just like now you can decide to run di2 or run mechanical shifting on most bikes, hopefully in the future you can decide to run hydraulic or run cable-actuated disc brakes. This would, of course, entail different brakes and brake levers.

I like the idea of this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I talked to Cervelo about the test protocol and showed them this thread. I was told "wait for the whitepaper." I keep an open mind when it comes to manufacturer claims but I want more evidence. I have a hard time spending $5000 on a P5 frame knowing that it's a bike designed from 2009-2012.

What is mind blowing to me is that it's taken them this long to give us details. We've been waiting for 6 months and counting. We got a little more information from that video but it just begs for more questions. I know ST is a small population of triathletes yet other mfg's have released theirs in a much shorter amount of time. Trek was the first to release a white paper (that I know of) and they released it right at the same time as the bike. Why couldn't Cervelo do the same thing? It makes me question their claims and credibility. What are they worried about? Why does a white paper take so long to generate? If it's truly as fast as they claim, the white paper should be easy to write. And if you read treks white paper, it wasn't rocket science or nearly as complex as anything Dan writes. Very easy to follow and concise.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When obsolesce of the current 130mm wide hub rim brake standard happens and disc is the only choice.

I have discs on:
Mountain bike
Gravel bike
Cross bike

Think they are awesome for those purposes. Control in wet environment is great and clearance of keeping debris (like leaves) out of the caliper/tire area is a bonus.

I can understand having disc's on a road bike, especially living in a mountainous region where prolonged braking and rim heat becomes an issue. I can also see them in areas of a very wet environment, like London or wherever it rains more than it doesn't

I don't see the point on a tri bike. In most TT races, I intend to stop ONE time. Dont need great brake modulation to do that. If I'm riding up a mountain that requires heavy braking on the way down, I would choose my road bike. I might take a mountain climb with a TT bike once in a great while, but not enough to warrant a new bike or new wheels. If it rains, the aluminum rims are not the best, but work well enough. I hardly ever get into a situation in a TT bike in the rain where I need to have good modulation other than to just stop.
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [Chris10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most triathletes probably only have 1 bike though. Disc brakes would make sense because the tri bike is their training bike too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wut? Why would a training bike need discs?

You said in the other thread that if you were to buy a P5x it would be simply because you want one, but you seem to be trying really hard to justify your (eventual?) purchase to everyone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Most triathletes probably only have 1 bike though. Disc brakes would make sense because the tri bike is their training bike too.

Only the proletariat triathlete has 1 bike.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Mar 9, 17 13:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in the midwest. Most of the triathletes I know that have a TT as their single bike also have an indoor trainer and now Zwift. I think Zwift is going to kill the necessity for riding in conditions that suck. That only leaves mountainous regions where it would make sense, but I cant comment on that. Only my own experience here in the flats and rolling hills.
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well...then I must be a very poor man then because I'm only buying 1 bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The post by Canyon was on Facebook.
I think this is it. Scroll down to aerodynamics
https://www.canyon.com/...ntent=&utm_term=

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: What will it take for you to accept disc brakes on tri bikes? [Chris10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did ride a couple times in Colorado though. Ft Collins and Boulder areas. The mountains I did there had gentle enough descents where braking was not heavily used. I also did Mt. Lemmon, which was absolutely no braking on the way down. The only place I have been where I would give the go ahead for discs would be Mt. Palomar, descending the switchback side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figured given how much time you spent on ST you'd get the joke.
Quote Reply

Prev Next