Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Donny is full of sh*t about the coal industry [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
I don't disagree with Vitus that Trump is trying to save some jobs by propping up a declining industry, although I believe his main concern is his 1% friends who own the mines and coal companies more than he is genuinely concerned about workers.

I wonder...he said over and over and over again that he'd work to bring back coal jobs. The rust belt largely elected him and a big reason for it is that promise. You WANT it to be the case that Trump is doing it to benefit his evil rich friends, but maybe just maybe he's doing it to, you know, bring back jobs like he said he would. I'm sure the border wall is benefiting his evil rich friends too, huh?

Quote:
But he has been over selling his message and exaggerating the job reality to get votes in the coal belt (as well as the rust belt). The downside for Trump is if he doesn't deliver to his base, it could very come come back and bite him in the ass in the next election.

Oh please. He's a politician (or at least he's playing one, for the time being)...he exaggerated the job reality to get votes? Give me a break, have you not heard a politician speak before? I despise the practice, it's impossible to take a politician at their word, and that's even when they give enough policy detail to know what they're thinking. But he's hardly alone in that regard, welcome to the world of politics I guess.

Listen, Trump can do very little for the coal industry, I think everyone in this thread has admitted as much. What he CAN do, however, is roll back EPA regulations and work with coal companies to stem the bleeding, maybe bring back a few thousand jobs in the process. Then hopefully in the longer term some retraining programs can be brought on board and maybe some programs for clean energy that will provide work in the rust belt.

What you're missing in all this - and Barry's comments reflect the same blindspot - is that the treatment of coal jobs is much of why Trump was elected. No time or energy was spent figuring out how to help spawn industry in these regions where coal is vital and in fact EPA regulations escalated the decline. It's fine to say that we need to focus on clean energy, I totally agree with that, but the means should NOT be through killing an industry that thousands rely on for their livelihoods. That was done, and those people were rightly pissed. Maybe Trump can't 'bring back coal', but he sure as hell try to prop it up for a time, so these regions can slowly adjust to a new reality.

I am beginning to think politics in Canada is somehow different than politics in the US
Quote Reply
Re: Donny is full of sh*t about the coal industry [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea slick willie got somewhat duped by Rubin. The clintons were poor and wanted to get in the club. But there is no doubt in my mind that trump ran for himself not average joe. Hillary probably wanted to advance women cause but I think her maternal instincts would have yielded more for average joes. After all obama recovery in stock market disproportionately helped upper tier. Guess you missed video of trump making restaurant run during transition ( when he thought he ditched press) and asking crowd for some love as he was going to give them big tax breaks.
Quote Reply
Re: Donny is full of sh*t about the coal industry [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
is this how we are now describing political rhetoric?

You know what is tiring - this!

Trump is the President now, democratically elected (we hope!) and it seems the tactic for many of the Trump defenders/supporters, is to just keep going back to Obama.

It's time to move forward, and to look forward. If you voted for Trump, and are a Trump supporter, I respect that - but don't keep continually going back to Obama, with almost every issue. That's not progressive. With all due respect, that's like to grade-5 kids in the school yard arguing and bickering.That goes no where!

Why wouldn't Trump supporters keep blaming Obama? Trump's presidency isn't even 100 days old, that's not even long enough for the US congress to figure out the seating arrangement for the next legislative session let alone actually pass a motion! The Obama administration blamed Bush for everything, surprised they didn't accuse him of causing the lake effect storms that ground upper NY to halt a few years back!
Quote Reply
Re: Donny is full of sh*t about the coal industry [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Obama administration blamed Bush for everything, surprised they didn't accuse him of causing the lake effect storms that ground upper NY to halt a few years back!

They were wrong about that - those cold winds & air that caused those lake-effect snow dumps, came from Canada! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Donny is full of sh*t about the coal industry [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am beginning to think politics in Canada is somehow different than politics in the US

It is.

It's obviously a different system - as we follow the British Westminster model with an elected House of Commons and an appointed Senate. The Prime Minister is not directly elected, but is the head of the party in the House of Commons that has the most seats and forms the Government.

Another key difference is that we do have a 3rd party option that tends to keep things more balanced and less polarized right and left. The three main federal parties are - The Liberals( a bit left of center), The Conservatives (a bit right of center), and the NDP (a bit more left of center).

We are also right now anyway, in a different left-right cycle. The Conservatives, with PM Stephen Harper, had been in Minority and then Majority rule for a number of years but in the last Federal election a year and a half ago, there was a pretty strong swing back to the left, with Liberals forming the current majority Government and Justin Trudeau as PM.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Donny is full of sh*t about the coal industry [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
I don't disagree with Vitus that Trump is trying to save some jobs by propping up a declining industry, although I believe his main concern is his 1% friends who own the mines and coal companies more than he is genuinely concerned about workers. But he has been over selling his message and exaggerating the job reality to get votes in the coal belt (as well as the rust belt). The downside for Trump is if he doesn't deliver to his base, it could very come come back and bite him in the ass in the next election.

Comrade if you had a scintilla of knowledge about the coal industry you'd realize the way to enrich the Coal 1% is to relieve them of pension obligations and legacy environmental costs. You do that and they would not all be in bankruptcy every other year. Just do some research. Reuters had a good article (maybe a series of articles) on coal recently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Fleck wrote:
is this how we are now describing political rhetoric?

You know what is tiring - this!

Trump is the President now, democratically elected (we hope!) and it seems the tactic for many of the Trump defenders/supporters, is to just keep going back to Obama.

It's time to move forward, and to look forward. If you voted for Trump, and are a Trump supporter, I respect that - but don't keep continually going back to Obama, with almost every issue. That's not progressive. With all due respect, that's like to grade-5 kids in the school yard arguing and bickering.That goes no where!

Why wouldn't Trump supporters keep blaming Obama? Trump's presidency isn't even 100 days old, that's not even long enough for the US congress to figure out the seating arrangement for the next legislative session let alone actually pass a motion! The Obama administration blamed Bush for everything, surprised they didn't accuse him of causing the lake effect storms that ground upper NY to halt a few years back!

I am particularly sensitive to Fleck's position re: my use of Obama. Mostly because I agree with him and hate the "but Bush, but Obama" positions. I wasn't using the video to specifically speak to Obama as much as to speak to the soaring rhetoric of most politicians.
That said, I think it is awfully hard to have a conversation relative to Trumps position on the coal industry without referencing what those in the coal industry have faced in the most recent administration

Quote Reply
Re: Donny is full of sh*t about the coal industry [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:
Yea slick willie got somewhat duped by Rubin. The clintons were poor and wanted to get in the club. But there is no doubt in my mind that trump ran for himself not average joe. Hillary probably wanted to advance women cause but I think her maternal instincts would have yielded more for average joes. After all obama recovery in stock market disproportionately helped upper tier. Guess you missed video of trump making restaurant run during transition ( when he thought he ditched press) and asking crowd for some love as he was going to give them big tax breaks.

maternal instincts??????????????????????????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As millennial that recently left the coal industry, I left because I was sick of Texas. Not because I didn't like working in a coal mine, granted I was engineer, but either way I have been up to my nuts in coal dust plenty of times, and loved it. It was a very rewarding job, and non skilled new workers there made a really good wage ($18/hr+ot) to start. As these jobs get cut, there will be a lot of skilled equipment operators waiting for those "shovel ready" projects our current and past president have promised us.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Donny is full of sh*t about the coal industry [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the British parlimentary system is superior, warts and all to that mess the US has. Sorry guys, you have a wonderful country, awesome people but holy shit get a system of elected government that get's something done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.foxnews.com/...s-industry-hope.html

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
I think the British parlimentary system is superior, warts and all to that mess the US has. Sorry guys, you have a wonderful country, awesome people but holy shit get a system of elected government that get's something done!

It was evaluated and found wanting by the founders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Part of the beauty of our system is that oftentimes we don't 'get stuff done'. It's a slow moving ship for a reason; even a whopper of a disaster like the ACA takes time to pick apart, for good reason. much of the aim of the founders was to wrest as much power from central government as possible and give it to states and the people. The more power government has, the more they 'do', the less power the people have.
Quote Reply
Re: Donny is full of sh*t about the coal industry [Rodred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rodred wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/03/01/coal-mining-begins-seeing-revival-as-trump-gives-industry-hope.html

Canada too.

https://www.google.ca/...arts-production/amp/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reason ACA even seen the light of day is because of how messed up your system is. Omnibus bills are bullshit. Nothing more than outright publicly approved corruption using bribery to get votes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
The reason ACA even seen the light of day is because of how messed up your system is. Omnibus bills are bullshit. Nothing more than outright publicly approved corruption using bribery to get votes.
No doubt, you won't get disagreement from me there. Doesn't mean the system itself is fucked up, only that the politicians running the show are corrupt pieces of shit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your system has been run this way for decades. It's pretty obvious there's no will to change it.
Quote Reply
Re: Donny is full of sh*t about the coal industry [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:

It was evaluated and found wanting by the founders.

And boy were they wrong. An American style republic may work well when the voters are a small cadre of white men who own land. It certainly doesn't with a diverse population of 300+ million. When incumbents have the same odds of being reelected as Dear Leader in a communist dictatorship's faux election then then you cannot even call that democracy anymore.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
Rodred wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
"You can come right out of high school and make$70,000 a year," said Missy Perdue, 22, a stay-at-home mother whose husband, Jeff Perdue, Jr., 22, is a miner.Apr 7, 2010

Source

My point exactly. Thank you for proving it. How are you going to compete against labor costs in China or India if you're thinking exporting it. And then its almost a dead product on the domestic market. Coal generating plants can't compete against natural gas. . Donny is telling fibs.

Sorry Canuckian but you may have to adjust your optimist appraisal. Literally two after the election coal shipments by rail went crazy, along with evil oil and fracking sand. A power plant near Detroit ordered 52 train loads of coal a month. That's 100+ railcars per train which I believe converts to 5trucks per railcar which is all going to being fired up shooting some coal dust your way. Enjoy.

Glad you know more than Yale. Where is your source? And 52 train loads a month is fuck all in the big picture.

http://www.platts.com/...ia-continue-21072822

Coal exports from terminals in Virginia's Hampton Roads region totaled 2.8 million st in February, up 8.2% from the prior month and up 50.7% from the year-ago month, according to export data released Monday by the Virginia Maritime Association.

It was the highest monthly total since March 2015, and the fifth straight month of higher exports, as higher seaborne prices increased demand for US thermal and metallurgical coals.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:

No doubt.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply

Prev Next