Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Donny is full of sh*t about the coal industry [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Quote:
What I'm taking from this thread is that coal is a viable source of jobs for the time being, but some people wish it wasn't. And again, their underlying contempt for the people who need those jobs comes through. "Those jobs might exist now, but pretty soon they won't, so you might as well just surrender now. No, we don't have an alternative for you, but so what. Just give in to the inevitable."

I don't think anyone has contempt for them. It is odd, though, that the liberals are on the "tough love" side of this economic argument. I've never thought that we should keep industries just to employ people, especially when those industries are bad for the environment. Truth be told, I don't think Republicans are in favor of that, either. They just say that they are when the need to win an election. If they could ship Joe the Coal Miner's job off to China to save a buck, they'd do it in a heart beat.

I do find rural America to be an interesting place, economically, demographically, etc.

Just for the record whoever said something about people looking down on people like coal miners was talking about people like you. No one is keeping the coal industry just to keep jobs you flaming bonehead. They are fighting for it because it actually works as the success of our country shows. There is no replacement even close to being online aside from other fossils fuels so step back and be thankful that you still have coal to lean on.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: Donny is full of sh*t about the coal industry [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
schroeder wrote:
patf wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

. Coal generating plants can't compete against natural gas. . Donny is telling fibs.

This does not seem to agree with that premise. Coal is cheaper for electricity.

The fuel cost is not the same as kilowatt-hour costs. Plant operating costs are higher for coal than natural gas.

This article seems to contradict the chart.

http://oilprice.com/...ant-Retirements.html

I didn't post the graph. I posted the comment that fuel costs are not the same as electric power costs. I must have fucked up when I replied and it all meshed together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Donny? You crack me up.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now it's a pissing contest between liberals and conservatives and who hates labor more and who loves fuzzy puppies.

Look, you're talking about eliminating coal mining- to the point where you're mocking Trump's efforts to increase jobs in that industry right now, present day. Do you have a real world, practical plan to replace those jobs? I suggest that "affordable education" does not meet that requirement. As far as I know, neither does "replacing all those jobs" with jobs in renewable resources. If you think we can replace all those jobs with jobs in renewable energy, lay out that plan for me, because I am genuinely all ears.

It's fine to talk about affordable education and retraining programs. But those things don't create job openings.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
What is the projection for jobs in the coal industry in the USA over the next 4 years?

According to who - Trump? :-)

No idea. I wouldn't be surprised to see a small upward blip in the next couple of years due to Trump's efforts, but even the top coal CEO's are telling him he can't make coal great again.

so how then is he selling false hope and telling fibs. Is he trying to step on the development of other sources either short or long term to do this?

Can you provide me with a link to what the top coal CEO's are saying please.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I never said coal is going away tomorrow but eventually it is or at least will decline greatly. My point was that Trump is selling false promises.

I've only read about ten posts and haven't read the article, nor have I done any research. Yet I'm willing to bet you $25 that US coal production will be higher in 2017 than it was in 2016. Want to take the bet?

Instead of cash, I'm also willing to make a signature bet. Loser has to include a signature of winner's choosing for six months (after data becomes available to verify the bet), provided the signature has to be in good taste and not obscene.

Will you take either bet? or both?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Donny is full of sh*t about the coal industry [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:
What is the projection for jobs in the coal industry in the USA over the next 4 years?

No idea. I wouldn't be surprised to see a small upward blip in the next couple of years due to Trump's efforts, but even the top coal CEO's are telling him he can't make coal great again.

so how then is he selling false hope and telling fibs. Is he trying to step on the development of other sources either short or long term to do this?

You don't know how to use google?

http://money.cnn.com/...-jobs-murray-energy/
Quote Reply
Re: Donny is full of sh*t about the coal industry [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:
I never said coal is going away tomorrow but eventually it is or at least will decline greatly. My point was that Trump is selling false promises.

I've only read about ten posts and haven't read the article, nor have I done any research. Yet I'm willing to bet you $25 that US coal production will be higher in 2017 than it was in 2016. Want to take the bet?

Instead of cash, I'm also willing to make a signature bet. Loser has to include a signature of winner's choosing for six months (after data becomes available to verify the bet), provided the signature has to be in good taste and not obscene.

see I think we are starting after 4 pages to get to the real story not the #fakenews. The real story is that Cerveloguy (and not Donny) is full of shit about the coal industry. That, as per usual, he really doesn't know what the hell he is talking about but because Trump says something (anything) it must be wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Donny is full of sh*t about the coal industry [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Look, you're talking about eliminating coal mining- to the point where you're mocking Trump's efforts to increase jobs in that industry right now, present day.

Well, others in the thread are. Not me. I'll mock Trump about a lot of things, but this isn't one of them.

Quote:
Do you have a real world, practical plan to replace those jobs? I suggest that "affordable education" does not meet that requirement. As far as I know, neither does "replacing all those jobs" with jobs in renewable resources. If you think we can replace all those jobs with jobs in renewable energy, lay out that plan for me, because I am genuinely all ears.

This goes back to what I said before. I don't think either party wants to save an obsolete industry.

In terms of MY personal view, no, I don't think we should save the coal industry for the sake of saving those jobs. No one invented RF engineering jobs for you when you were out of work, just like no one invented defense jobs in my city when I was out of work. That's not to say that we shouldn't have some sort of overall plan to keep employment up, but it just doesn't make any sense to focus on the one industry that has some of the worst jobs and is the worst for the environment.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:

You don't know how to use google?http://money.cnn.com/...-jobs-murray-energy/[/quote[/url]]

yes I do. And thank you for the link, I will read it now
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I've only read about ten posts and haven't read the article, nor have I done any research. Yet I'm willing to bet you $25 that US coal production will be higher in 2017 than it was in 2016. Want to take the bet?"

Why don't you first read the articles and then come back to talk to me? I think it is very possible that coal production might take a slight upward blip in 2017 due to Trump's efforts, but I don't think that will make coal great again nor increase the workforce in that industry dramatically as Trump claims. In the long term, everything I've read and researched points to coal continuing to decline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
H- wrote:
Quote:

see I think we are starting after 4 pages to get to the real story not the #fakenews. The real story is that Cerveloguy (and not Donny) is full of shit about the coal industry. That, as per usual, he really doesn't know what the hell he is talking about but because Trump says something (anything) it must be wrong.

Wrong. Anything Trump says must be right. Just ask him.

I've made a pretty damn good argument on this thread that Trump is wrong on the coal issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:

You don't know how to use google?http://money.cnn.com/...-jobs-murray-energy/[/quote[/url]]

thanks, have you actually read that article. The man you site calls Obama the Great Destroyer when it comes to coal jobs, and Hillary an extension of Obama.

So the coal industry is reaching out to Trump to save it, he is promising to save it, you acknowledge in the short run (which I will define as his 1st term) that jobs will most likely stop being reduced and may in fact rise slightly, and yet your position is Trump is full of shit about the coal industry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, not gonna read. I'm certainly not gonna read articles that try to predict the future (50% of the time scholarly predictions of future markets are wrong, peak oil anyone?). I live in a coal producing state. I've seen coal go down and go up. I don't think it will take much on a regulatory front to get an increase in production. So my gut tells me that in the next two years coal production will increase.

Will you take a bet if I say that in for the years 2017 and 2018 (averaged) coal production will 5% higher than 2016?

Heck, I don't know if 2016 was an up or down year. But I refuse to study this anymore. I want to bet. What kind of bet are you willing to make for a six month signature? What I will require you to have as a signature is: "Trump is smarter than me."

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Well, others in the thread are. Not me. I'll mock Trump about a lot of things, but this isn't one of them.

Fair enough. It was a general "you."

This goes back to what I said before. I don't think either party wants to save an obsolete industry.

Seems like Trump is working to save the jobs in that industry for as long as he can.

In terms of MY personal view, no, I don't think we should save the coal industry for the sake of saving those jobs. No one invented RF engineering jobs for you when you were out of work, just like no one invented defense jobs in my city when I was out of work.

Well, we disagree. I don't think we ought to be cavalier about putting entire industries out of work. I don't particularly care if we continue to mine coal or not, just like I don't particularly care if we continue to have large manufacturing plants here. But I do care that there is no alternative in place now or in the foreseeable future for the jobs lost. And yeah, you know what, I'm just as worried about my job prospects in the near future, and you probably should be, too. The same market forces that killed manufacturing are starting to affect jobs across the range of employment.

Right now, Trump is talking about protecting industries that employ large numbers of Americans and provide a decent living for people across wide geographic areas. I support that effort unless and until someone can show me how those Americans are going to earn a comparable living when those industries collapse. I have yet to hear any ideas on that- all I keep hearing is that those jobs are going away, and that's all there is to it. That might be the case, but I am all for whatever can be done to protect them for as long as possible.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
H- wrote:
Quote:

Wrong. Anything Trump says must be right. Just ask him.

I've made a pretty damn good argument on this thread that Trump is wrong on the coal issue.

really, because I've read everything you've written and I cant figure out your argument beyond "these jobs are going away and never coming back" which appears to be your argument for any type of job growth or industry Trump is discussing.

Except then you say you wouldn't be surprised to see the jobs increase.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:

thanks, have you actually read that article. The man you site calls Obama the Great Destroyer when it comes to coal jobs, and Hillary an extension of Obama.

So the coal industry is reaching out to Trump to save it, he is promising to save it, you acknowledge in the short run (which I will define as his 1st term) that jobs will most likely stop being reduced and may in fact rise slightly, and yet your position is Trump is full of shit about the coal industry.

The reality is what you said, at least temporarily, but Trump had been promising the moon to get votes. That's why he should be called out. Please go back and read the article on my OP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Except then you say you wouldn't be surprised to see the jobs increase....... "

I did say a small temporary blip due to his efforts, but he won't be anything close to previous levels. And in the long run job losses will continue to decline. That would happen any ways even if there was a moderate increase in production due to increasing automation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:

The reality is what you said, at least temporarily, but Trump had been promising the moon to get votes. That's why he should be called out. Please go back and read the article on my OP.

I will do that now. Please read the last 2 paragraphs of Vitus #90 post. They summarize my position better than the effort I am making to do so.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:

We all know how monetary bets go on here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:

OK I read it. It makes a compelling long term case against coal and I agree inherently with most of the things it proposes. Many/most of them are driven by the marketplace (including consumer desire for "cleaner" forms of energy.)

1) I don't see any specific timelines for these things just a "continual decline"
2) In terms of Trump "promising the moon" I see in the article him saying he would stop the War on Coal (which Obama started and Hillary would have continued as acknowledged by the guy in the other article you reference) and twice he says we will "get the miners back to work" in some form or fashion. Is this the "promising the moon" you refer to. That he said he will get the miners back to work?
3) I will ask again, is he doing anything to prevent other forms of energy (like natural gas) to be less "competitive" with coal thereby giving coal an advantage?

What I read is a guy who's only real "promise" was to stop the "War on Coal" via reduced regulation. And it appears that only means those regulations which were recently placed on the coal industry to someone who was bent on destroying it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't disagree with Vitus that Trump is trying to save some jobs by propping up a declining industry, although I believe his main concern is his 1% friends who own the mines and coal companies more than he is genuinely concerned about workers. But he has been over selling his message and exaggerating the job reality to get votes in the coal belt (as well as the rust belt). The downside for Trump is if he doesn't deliver to his base, it could very come come back and bite him in the ass in the next election.
Quote Reply
Re: Donny is full of sh*t about the coal industry [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean the 1% who rocked it under Barry while the middle class died off? The same 1% who would have benefited from Hillary much like they did from Billy?

tyrod1 wrote:
Why limit to coal. Trump and repubs are full of it on so many accounts....all seemed geared to benefit the 1%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
I don't disagree with Vitus that Trump is trying to save some jobs by propping up a declining industry, although I believe his main concern is his 1% friends who own the mines and coal companies more than he is genuinely concerned about workers. But he has been over selling his message and exaggerating the job reality to get votes in the coal belt (as well as the rust belt). The downside for Trump is if he doesn't deliver to his base, it could very come come back and bite him in the ass in the next election.

If his next opponent pledges to put the boot back on the neck of the coal industry with the intent to kill it, I don't think Trump's oversold message will matter much.

I think Trump oversells a lot of things. Including things he doesn't need to oversell. It's one of the many distasteful things about him for me.

But the reality of the coal and rust belt is that is where national elections are won and lost (vs. NY, CA, TX, IL). He may very well have oversold, but as with any sale there had to be an awfully lot of people hungry for the message on the other side of the sale.

I imagine McCain and Romney believe they didn't oversell their positions in the coal and rust belt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
I don't disagree with Vitus that Trump is trying to save some jobs by propping up a declining industry, although I believe his main concern is his 1% friends who own the mines and coal companies more than he is genuinely concerned about workers.

I wonder...he said over and over and over again that he'd work to bring back coal jobs. The rust belt largely elected him and a big reason for it is that promise. You WANT it to be the case that Trump is doing it to benefit his evil rich friends, but maybe just maybe he's doing it to, you know, bring back jobs like he said he would. I'm sure the border wall is benefiting his evil rich friends too, huh?

Quote:
But he has been over selling his message and exaggerating the job reality to get votes in the coal belt (as well as the rust belt). The downside for Trump is if he doesn't deliver to his base, it could very come come back and bite him in the ass in the next election.

Oh please. He's a politician (or at least he's playing one, for the time being)...he exaggerated the job reality to get votes? Give me a break, have you not heard a politician speak before? I despise the practice, it's impossible to take a politician at their word, and that's even when they give enough policy detail to know what they're thinking. But he's hardly alone in that regard, welcome to the world of politics I guess.

Listen, Trump can do very little for the coal industry, I think everyone in this thread has admitted as much. What he CAN do, however, is roll back EPA regulations and work with coal companies to stem the bleeding, maybe bring back a few thousand jobs in the process. Then hopefully in the longer term some retraining programs can be brought on board and maybe some programs for clean energy that will provide work in the rust belt.

What you're missing in all this - and Barry's comments reflect the same blindspot - is that the treatment of coal jobs is much of why Trump was elected. No time or energy was spent figuring out how to help spawn industry in these regions where coal is vital and in fact EPA regulations escalated the decline. It's fine to say that we need to focus on clean energy, I totally agree with that, but the means should NOT be through killing an industry that thousands rely on for their livelihoods. That was done, and those people were rightly pissed. Maybe Trump can't 'bring back coal', but he sure as hell try to prop it up for a time, so these regions can slowly adjust to a new reality.
Last edited by: Brownie28: Mar 3, 17 10:39
Quote Reply

Prev Next