Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
What's his story?

In short he's a free speech absolutist, Trump supporting gay catholic Jew anti-Islamist who loves to have sex with black guys and will not back down from any verbal fight.

I disagree with him about a lot of things but absolutely love that people like him exist.

So......if I have never listened to a word he has said thus far, is there any reason for me to start now?

So when the whole Berkeley thing happened I realized that I also didn't know anything about himother than hearing the name. So I googled a talk he gave as part of the college tour in California at cal poly SLO. I recommend you watch at least a bit and decide for yourself. My takeaway was that he was a gay male Kim Kardashian. He plays a role, almost a character. The other thing it reminded me of was Kaufmans Tony Clifton, just says outrageous things to get a rise. And it's working as he is, or was, making money I suppose his take could be seen as entertainment for some.

But now we have Breitbartianz that actually believe this guys character so he's getting taken more seriously. He was a bright flame, and bright flames burn out fast. He certainly seems headed in that direction with CPAC and his book deal being canceled
Last edited by: ChrisM: Feb 20, 17 17:03
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"He was a bright flame, and bright flames burn out fast."

he has a spark to him. he's ungoverned by convention, in a kerouac way, and that's attractive. he was always destined to crash and burn among those for whom conservatism includes reticence to social change.

he's perfectly trumpian. i think he will continue to have a following, for the same reason trump has one. he's a bomb thrower. ideology is incidental to his attraction.

if he is entirely cast off from republicanism he'll emerge like a phoenix as a liberal, kind of a reverse dick morris. i just don't think he's done as a conservative yet.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if he'll keep his job at Brietbart, but apparently his book deal has already been cancelled.

I think a fair reading of all he said is probably less inflammatory than some are describing, but he's got a reputation, and when you repeatedly push the boundaries, you can't be surprised when people don't give you much benefit of the doubt.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was on Maher this week. If you want to see the best part watch the after show video. Larry Willmore shows how to handle trolls. And there just doesn't seem like there is enough substance there to bother with the bullshit. His schtick is just seeing how far he can push the trolling and then mock the people who take offense.

Duffy described him as a first amendment absolutist. But only in the sense that he wants to see how outrageous he can be and still get people who support first amendment rights to say he should be allowed to say it. I just am not sure what the substance that he brings to the table that would make me want to wade through the crap. If we want a first amendment champions we should choose people with something to actually say.

But this is also a perfect example of why the first amendment is so great. He gets to say anything he wants. This goes way over the line and I don't think it was just trolling. Then he has to pay the price. But this is most definitely not the first time he has gone way over the line.

I'm just waiting for all the people who were up in arms about the liberals shutting him down (of course way over the line when they rioted) to now complain about the conservatives shutting him down.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw the wilmore takes. Seems like something for everyone. You go to the daily beast and wilmore creamed him. You go to towbhall the opposite. Eye of the beholder or partisan bias I guess.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
I saw the wilmore takes. Seems like something for everyone. You go to the daily beast and wilmore creamed him. You go to towbhall the opposite. Eye of the beholder or partisan bias I guess.

Not so much the content but the respect trolls should be shown. When someone is purely trolling, trying to discuss it with them is pointless. If one person tries to discuss the fine points and the other person is flinging boogers the person trying to be reasonable ends up looking foolish. Milo's reason to be seems as it is to get under people's skin. That is a pretty crappy life goal. I'm just not sure what other point he has.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

he has a spark to him. he's ungoverned by convention, in a kerouac way, and that's attractive. he was always destined to crash and burn among those for whom conservatism includes reticence to social change.

he's perfectly trumpian. i think he will continue to have a following, for the same reason trump has one. he's a bomb thrower. ideology is incidental to his attraction.

if he is entirely cast off from republicanism he'll emerge like a phoenix as a liberal, kind of a reverse dick morris. i just don't think he's done as a conservative yet.

He is not now, nor ever was, a conservative.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's been going after the PC police for a long time because of their apparent lack of deference to the 1st amendment. He uses his outrageous rhetoric as a tool to demonstrate his targets' desires to shut down speech they don't like.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Slowman wrote:

He is not now, nor ever was, a conservative.

Wow. He really is like Trump.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
saw him on the Maher show video, I don’t like either one of those guys.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
TheForge wrote:

Not so much the content but the respect trolls should be shown. When someone is purely trolling, trying to discuss it with them is pointless. If one person tries to discuss the fine points and the other person is flinging boogers the person trying to be reasonable ends up looking foolish. Milo's reason to be seems as it is to get under people's skin. That is a pretty crappy life goal. I'm just not sure what other point he has.
That was exactly my impression after the Maher interview - he is a master at trolling and very articulate in his way of throwing snot at you and making you look stupid. He'll say whatever seems too trigger a significant response and build on that. He's definitely going to have a certain following though it will be small because his ideas are very conservative but at the same time his pretty expressive gayness will cause him to be rejected by a large section of the conservatives. Overall he seems to be someone to just ignore - you won't learn anything from him, and he'll only get under your skin with his attention-seeking statements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
TheForge wrote:

Sort of like how I've treated dan's trolling lately.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
He's been going after the PC police for a long time because of their apparent lack of deference to the 1st amendment. He uses his outrageous rhetoric as a tool to demonstrate his targets' desires to shut down speech they don't like.

Yes. He's a reactionary in the literal sense. He only exists to resist the PC police. There is no other issue for him.
That's why Maher liked him and Wilmore hated him.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Yes. He's a reactionary in the literal sense. He only exists to resist the PC police. There is no other issue for him.

Yeah, Wilmore's genius rebuttal, "go fuck yourself".

There you have it.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"He is not now, nor ever was, a conservative."

i agree with you. nevertheles, CPAC invited him to speak. it's a strange world.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"He is not now, nor ever was, a conservative."

i agree with you. nevertheles, CPAC invited him to speak. it's a strange world.

That it is.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't we go through all if this with Polanski?

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
Didn't we go through all if this with Polanski?

No. Polanski banged a girl (yes, that's different) and he's a confirmed liberal.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So among all the issues I am not following this that closely. Explain the difference. Too lazy to research it.
You can pm if appropriate

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jriosa wrote:
So among all the issues I am not following this that closely. Explain the difference. Too lazy to research it.
You can pm if appropriate

Polanski banged a girl (yes, that's different) and he's a confirmed liberal, which makes it ok.

Also, Milo did not (that we know of) have sex with a minor. Apparently he was the minor who had sex.

Milo only TALKED about men having sex with younger men.

Polanski was the adult MAN who had actual sex with a minor GIRL and was wanted by law enforcement so he fled to France.

Do you see the difference now?

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Polanski banged a girl (yes, that's different) and he's a confirmed liberal, which makes it ok.

can you find anyone who says this? i know a lot of liberals who absolutely detest him for what he did. i have never heard anyone say it was ok.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

can you find anyone who says this? i know a lot of liberals who absolutely detest him for what he did. i have never heard anyone say it was ok.

I don't think any conservatives signed this (but I could be wrong)...

http://www.indiewire.com/...nski-petition-55821/

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Including his victim

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...ctim-allowed-US.html

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
SH wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Yeah, Wilmore's genius rebuttal, "go fuck yourself".

I tend to agree with Dan, that he wasn't necessarily trolling with those comments that got him in trouble. I think he was speaking truthfully, as he perceives it, from his own perspective in that area. The comment about being better at giving head was a pretty clear example of gallows humor. Any number of liberal leaning comedians could've said the same thing and it wouldn't have generated nearly as much press. Louis and whatshername/Jimmy Kimmel's girlfriend in particular.

It's a little puzzling that CPAC tapped him for the keynote address in the first place (it was the keynote slot, right?). I mean, it's emblematic of what's wrong with the right today--elevating grievance screamers above positive conservatism advocates--but he's a side stage act and should have remained there, if anywhere in that venue.

Wilmore's response was perfect, actually. I don't agree with his politics, but his GFY was the kind of buzzsaw that was needed to cut through Milo's stream of noise.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I watched the video of Milo on Bill Maher's show. It looked to me like three guys shouting down Milo while simultaneously telling him not to interrupt and to go fuck himself as a geeky republican looked on uncomfortably.

And Bill Maher saying something to the effect that "humor" isn't funny when it intentionally hurts individuals was a pretty blatant example of hypocrisy.

And, yes Milo came across pretty bad in that format.

He was on a Joe Rogan podcast awhile back. Listen to him in long form and when the schtick wears off a bit you'll see that Milo actually makes some pretty solid sense in some cases.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next