Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Did Milo Go Too Far
Quote | Reply
Like we didn't see this happen eventually.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/...er-sex-comments.html

What I read sounded like a justification for the existence of NAMBLA, but maybe I read a filtered version.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Milo is smart and articulate to bad he has to be such the troll.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trolling gets addictive that sometimes you don't realize you are getting close to going too far until you have.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what did he say that is excusing pedophilia? i read the article but didnt see anything that seemed that way.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“first mainstream conservative who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy"

Quote | Reply
I don't think what he said excuses or promotes pedophilia but I can certainly understand how others might take it that way, but I'm a person who is of the thought that pedophilia means attraction to prepubescent children. I'm also of the thought that the age of consent is entirely arbitrary.

Also, the video of Milo saying what he said is heavily edited and this attack on him is based in homophobic stereotypes (stereotypes that Milo actually helped perpetuate with his words).

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
two things, apparently.

milo yiannopoulos: “you’re misunderstanding what pedophilia means. paedophilia is not a sexual attraction to somebody 13-years old who is sexually mature. paedophilia is attraction to children who have not reached puberty. pedophilia is a attraction to people who don’t have functioning sex organs yet. who have not gone through puberty. who are too young to be able to understand. that is not what we are talking about.”

interviewer: “you are advocating cross-generational relationships here. can we be honest about that?"

milo yiannopoulos: “yeah i don't mind admitting that. and i think particularly in the gay world and outside the catholic church if that is where some of you wanna go with this. i think in the gay world some of the most important enriching and incredibly life affirming, important shaping relationships very often between younger boys and older men, they can be hugely positive experiences.”

that speaks for itself. everyone can decide for himself whether and how far that crosses the line.

secondly, the tenor of the interview is seen as perpetuating the myth that gay men are predisposed toward pedophilia (tho milo doesn't consider it pedophilia). the "particularly in the gay world" part.

i understand his very technical (and questionably accurate) point, that someone who is underage but is post-puberty is technically not (according to him) the target of classic pedophiles.

still, he had a lot of opportunity in that interview to state that the onset of puberty does not equal the onset of consent, or the ability to give or form consent. or to acknowledge that priests are using the power they hold over post-pubescent boys in a way that can cause extreme pain and damage. he resisted every chance he was given.

i honestly don't think he was trolling. i think he extrapolated from his own experience and normalized it. he discounted the possibility that an adult can use his power to take sexual advantage of someone not near ready to consent.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Feb 20, 17 15:40
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I said NAMBLA not pedaphilia. Others are implying such. To me pedaphilia is an adult prepubescent child. For the sake of simplicity 12 or younger.

Now what he said described the minor teenager to adult male mentor Relationship that is much more accepted in the gay community that often becomes sexual and is certainly illegal once that line is crossed.

While it may be more accepted and common in the gay community (to what extent I'm unsure), it is unnaccetable in general.

Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you read has apparently been heavily edited.

We'll need to see/hear the interview in its entirety to see whether or not he took the "opportunity in that interview to state that the onset of puberty does not equal the onset of consent".

I don't know if he did or not. The rest of my thoughts on this are stated above and I say this as someone who, at a young age, had a sexual relationship with a much older woman, a relationship for which I am eternally grateful.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
Like we didn't see this happen eventually.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/...er-sex-comments.html

What I read sounded like a justification for the existence of NAMBLA, but maybe I read a filtered version.

Serious question here. Who is this guy

I had not heard of him before Berkley and now he seems like the man of the hour/day. What's his story? Why as a conservative would I choose to listen to him?

In case it's not obvious I don't tune in to Breit Bart . My impression is it is huff post for the right
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"What you read has apparently been heavily edited."

i didn't read it. i watched it. and it wasn't edited at all. it was 6+ minutes, straight through. want me to show you a link? i'm happy to see the part before, where he says, "everything that comes after this is what i really do not believe."

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What's his story?

In short he's a free speech absolutist, Trump supporting gay catholic Jew anti-Islamist who loves to have sex with black guys and will not back down from any verbal fight.

I disagree with him about a lot of things but absolutely love that people like him exist.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"While it may be more accepted and common in the gay community"

source? if we're talking again?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

i didn't read it. i watched it. and it wasn't edited at all. it was 6+ minutes, straight through. want me to show you a link? i'm happy to see the part before, where he says, "everything that comes after this is what i really do not believe."

If it's the same six minute video I saw it is one that, according to Milo, has been heavily edited.

I don't know if it was or not.

Without much doubt Milo is saying that, in some cases, it's ok (or even good) for a 13 year old boy to have a sexual relationship with a "grown man".

And I think this is a perfectly good discussion to have. I also think that people can believe what it appears that Milo does without being a pedophile, or someone who is excusing pedophilia.

All that said, I can see where someone might get the impression that Milo is excusing pedophila (even though I disagree with that opinion).

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok i get that, thanks for the clarification. i thought it was just the part of the article where he explained why something wasnt pedophilia. the pedantic asshole in me has to agree, but the rest of what he says definitely seems wrong. if he had stipulated consenting adults across a wide age range, that would be fine. "young boys" sounds terrible.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"If it's the same six minute video I saw it is one that, according to Milo, has been heavily edited."

pretty damned good editing job then. it looked light it was 6 straight minutes of Q&A, no break, seamless.

"Without much doubt Milo is saying that, in some cases, it's ok (or even good) for a 13 year old boy to have a sexual relationship with a "grown man"."

allowing this for a moment - and i don't stipulate to it for a second, but putting on my expansive-thinker hat - i really didn't hear him try to circumscribe that very tightly. it was closer to hey, it's a good thing, standard practice, we're better for it, than, let me be very clear, this was my experience only and i want to be very careful about the damage caused because of the power adult men can hold over kids in their early teens.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
What's his story?

In short he's a free speech absolutist, Trump supporting gay catholic Jew anti-Islamist who loves to have sex with black guys and will not back down from any verbal fight.

I disagree with him about a lot of things but absolutely love that people like him exist.

So......if I have never listened to a word he has said thus far, is there any reason for me to start now?
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmayb wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
What's his story?

So......if I have never listened to a word he has said thus far, is there any reason for me to start now?

Judging by what you write here I don't think you'd like the guy. But if you're like me in that you like listening to or reading things that you don't like or don't agree with then you may get a kick out of him. But honestly I think he'd be too crass for your taste.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally don't feel bad about people who draw attention to themselves, or profit, from running their mouth and being obnoxious finally crossing a line according to the wrong person and paying for it. Cry me a river.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Slowman wrote:

If it's the same six minute video I saw it is one that, according to Milo, has been heavily edited.

Without much doubt Milo is saying that, in some cases, it's ok (or even good) for a 13 year old boy to have a sexual relationship with a "grown man".

And I think this is a perfectly good discussion to have. I also think that people can believe what it appears that Milo does without being a pedophile, or someone who is excusing pedophilia.

All that said, I can see where someone might get the impression that Milo is excusing pedophila (even though I disagree with that opinion).

After working in a middle school for almost a decade with five years of coaching MS track and XC after that, I disagree that it is a perfectly good discussion to have.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I generally don't feel bad about people who draw attention to themselves, or profit, from running their mouth and being obnoxious finally crossing a line according to the wrong person and paying for it. Cry me a river.

This. Part of my thinks he was trolling. But, frankly, I don't care. Whether he said it for effect or truly believes it, he advocated, or at least excused, pedophilia. I find that to be disgusting. I don't know why he has been given a soap box, but he has. With that comes responsibility. He did not exercise it. So, now he can go back into obscurity.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll talk with you, just not about stupid stuff that is open to the partisan lens. We seem to agree on this. You also took out the part where I said to what extent, I do not know. Google is your friend (intergenerational gay relationship).

This is a little more personal for me. My dad is gay and came out when I was adult. He even told me that he never had the adult mentor to guide him through the rough teenage years that most have. He also told me that it was more common for teenage gay males to have sexual relationships with adult males with an adult being their first. I have also heard this from several others. Now that might be bullshit, but it is something I have heard beyond this statement. That is why I said to what extent I don't know. It could be isolated, it might not be, but I have heard it is more accepted so take it with a grain of salt as I'm not talking on facts here.

I think you hit the nail on the head that his statements perpetuate a myth that gay males are more prone to pedophilia. The anti-gay/right wing community has often used that baseless fact to support the myth. In fact, a quick google search of this top shows junk science studies from the likes of Regent University (Pat Robertson's college) and other BS rightwing sights. But there is some support for their wacky ideas, you wanted a source, see below. "Canadian writer Gerald Hannon made headlines in late 1977 when he published his now infamous article "Men Loving Boys Loving Men" for a local Toronto queer publication, "The Body Politic." He wanted to shed light on the fact that such relationships do exist in a consensual context; nor should they be categorized as pedophilia, molestation, or predatory."

I could see why Milo's statements cross the lines for anybody who has fought hard for gay rights. Like the article reference above and linked below, it reinforces confirmation bias.

http://www.edgemedianetwork.com/...nment/culture/124733

Not pedophilia but definitely perpetuates the stereotype. I'm also skeptical that the younger guy in these 30+ age difference relationships is always 18.

https://www.queerty.com/...lationships-20131213

http://www.out.com/...tional-relationships

http://www.washingtonblade.com/...ner-34-years-senior/

Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Yea, me either.

Quote Reply
Re: Did Milo Go Too Far [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Slowman wrote:

After working in a middle school for almost a decade with five years of coaching MS track and XC after that, I disagree that it is a perfectly good discussion to have.

That's nice to know that your teaching experience has made you the arbiter of what can and can't be talked about.

Here's an idea, if you don't want to talk about something then don't. Just stay out of the way of those that do.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
ironmayb wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
What's his story?

Judging by what you write here I don't think you'd like the guy. But if you're like me in that you like listening to or reading things that you don't like or don't agree with then you may get a kick out of him. But honestly I think he'd be too crass for your taste.

Thanks I read lots that I don't agree with. More than I do agree with. But you are right I don't need more crass in my life
Quote Reply

Prev Next