Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stryd's Footpod - Any Thoughts?
Quote | Reply
I recently ordered and finally received Stryd's new footpod-based running power meter. I've gone for a handful of runs with it and it seems to be a product unready for public release.

The cliffnote version of my experience, using it with my Garmin 735xt and a 920xt, the data I've received has been useless. The connection between the pod and my watches drops often. The Connect IQ App for the watches tends to corrupt or mix data channels so that using the exercise files with several software services (Training Peaks, Strava, WKO4, Sport Tracks, Garmin Connect) produces training data that becomes useless.

It just seems like it was rushed to production and release before all the bugs were worked out. It does look like the company is working hard and doings its best to fix the issues, but it begs the question if the device was ready for primetime.

To anyone that has one, what's your experiences with it?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd's Footpod - Any Thoughts? [PhxTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have any experience with it, but I can't for the life of me see the benefit of a power meter in running.

https://markmcdermott.substack.com
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd's Footpod - Any Thoughts? [marklemcd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marklemcd wrote:
I don't have any experience with it, but I can't for the life of me see the benefit of a power meter in running.

I'm a lover of gadgets and was a pretty early adopter of power for cycling and i too struggle to see the point when pace/heart rate combo is generally fine. A gadget on kickstarter that I'm more looking forward too is the hydration monitor, I think i'll get more benefit from that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Join the Facebook community and/or Stryd website forum (both linked from their website). You'll get lots of advice. There are some cross platform hick-ups, but I think this is as much the other platforms as it is Stryd itself (for example Garmin won't allow power to be recorded natively in run mode). What I can say is (based on the original pioneer, just received and haven't tested footpod yet) that you want to 1) use the Garmin IQ *data field* add-on instead of the full Stryd IQ app 2) push data from Garmin Connect to Stryd and then Stryd to Training Peaks, this will clean things up quite a bit. Also contact them if you are dropping signal, this doesn't sound normal. They are pretty responsive both FB and their own forum community (as well as just emailing tech support).

No affiliation with them other than being an IQ tester with my own paid for device.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd's Footpod - Any Thoughts? [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you saying to use the Stryd app titled 'Stryd IQ' or the one title 'Stryd Power'? I currently use the 'Stryd Power' one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is the one that I would recommend. It just adds a data field rather than being a full separate run application.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just made a rant on GC CIQ Forums

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?363641-Which-3rd-party-sites-actually-can-process-FitContributor-Files

Basically, I think that stryd is going to be geting the short end of the stick unless there is a way to get companies to agree to a standard. You won't get power as a metric for running.

Even w/ the IQ App and developers allowed access to write to the FIT file, there are issues as the OP pointed out. 3rd party Sites are not recognising the developer's data.

Quote Reply
Re: Stryd's Footpod - Any Thoughts? [myjunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. Stryd has tried to rectify these shortcomings by having one first sync to the Stryd Power Center and then to TP. There are still some issues though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synced to phone and garmin 920xt

still searching once I press start.

Retul Certified Fitter. gebioMized Pressure Mapping http://www.PedPowerPerformLab.com.
Retailer of Wahoo Fitness, Sable Water Optics, Enve Composit, Giro and more.
Zone3 USA Ambassador - use code DEAN25 for 25% off
http://www.OasisOne-Twelve.com - The ultimate hands free hydration system.
https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/19354499 - results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I know how to do that as well. Take the Garmin FIT data, convert it and move my (Trainer)Power Data from being a developer field into an actual Power Field and then I'm set. (more hoops to go thru tho, but at least it's a solution _for_me_)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got mine yesterday and ran with it this morning for the first time (on the treadmill). No problem picking up the signal with either my phone or my Garmin 920XT (using Stryd's IQ app). Although I still plan to perform a formal comparison by using them simultaneously, at the same speeds the power values and stride rates were very similar to those from the Pioneer (the footpod does respond a lot more rapidly, though...good news for those interested in applying the WKO4 model). OTOH, the vertical oscillation and ground contact times were slightly, but clearly, lower, which combined led to a large difference in calculated leg spring stiffness. Without a gold standard for comparison, it is not possible to say which is more accurate, but given that moving the accelerometer from the chest to the footpod was done in large part to increase the accuracy of the ground contact time measurements, I would assume that the footpod values are closer to the absolute truth.

Disclaimer: I am a consultant for Stryd.

EDIT: Here's the run:

Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Oct 25, 16 7:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disclaimer: I am with Stryd.

Thank you for the detailed feedback. We took time for some careful consideration on these issues and have some good news.

Quote:
Garmin 735xt and a 920xt, the data I've received has been useless.

We recently published two materials to explain and analyze Stryd power data. If these materials are helpful, we will continue.
1. Studying Pro Racing at Kona: http://blog.stryd.com/...e-study-of-two-pros/
2. Improving Running Economy: https://storage.googleapis.com/...s/RE_white_paper.pdf

Quote:
The connection between the pod and my watches drops often.

We re-evaluated the Connect IQ apps and improved data connectivity. I recommend updating your apps using the instructions listed here: https://www.stryd.com/support#run-with-garmin

Quote:
The Connect IQ App for the watches tends to corrupt or mix data channels so that using the exercise files with several software services (Training Peaks, Strava, WKO4, Sport Tracks, Garmin Connect) produces training data that becomes useless.

We are working closely with software services to improve compatibility. Now, Garmin Connect, Sport Tracks, Golden Cheetah, and Stryd PowerCenter are compatible with the new FIT files from Connect IQ apps. We have news that more platforms will be compatible very soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd's Footpod - Any Thoughts? [hideano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
works now - after firmware update.

still working out pace and power number.

Retul Certified Fitter. gebioMized Pressure Mapping http://www.PedPowerPerformLab.com.
Retailer of Wahoo Fitness, Sable Water Optics, Enve Composit, Giro and more.
Zone3 USA Ambassador - use code DEAN25 for 25% off
http://www.OasisOne-Twelve.com - The ultimate hands free hydration system.
https://www.athlinks.com/athletes/19354499 - results.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd's Footpod - Any Thoughts? [ysubtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the original Stryd Pioneer. I have used it quite a bit in the past but it just became too much trouble. I was using it with a Polar V800 and had set up as a second biking sport so I could get power into my Polar Flow program. Then I would have to manually change it to "run" and then save it and manually transfer it to Training Peaks. I do not like or want to need to use my phone with Stryd while running and I don't want to have to use another app like Stryd power center. Over the past 6 months I have changed and now workout with a Garmin 735 watch. Due to all the other issues others have had, I just stopped using the pioneer. Initially when I got the watch it wasn't able to get power in run mode. Now I know there is the Stryd IQ app but on all of the forums/facebook etc. posts I have read there are still too many issues and glitches. I have received my new Stryd foot pod but have not bothered to even take it out of the box. I did like using power with my running as it gave me a good metric for efficiency/economy and I enjoyed the comparison between similar workouts when I was fresh or fatigued etc. However, it just became too much trouble for what I was getting. Now what I want is to be able to use either the footpod or the chest strap with my Garmin or Polar watch and have it show all the power data I want on the watch while I am working out and then transfer directly to my Training Peaks either through Garmin Connects or Polar Flow, I don't think that is too much to ask and when that can work seamlessly with accurate data, I'll start using it again.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd's Footpod - Any Thoughts? [drrafe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the Stryd Pioneer chest strap, which I use with a Garmin 920XT. Initially I stopped using Stryd after a few weeks as it was too much of a pain to run with the phone app, or use the watch in bike mode. Recent improvements by Stryd (Connect IQ data field for use in native Garmin run mode, and integration with third-party analysis sites) have made Stryd much more usable for me, and I'm now using it for every run.

Where Stryd is adding value for me:
  • Pacing in hilly terrain -- I found it remarkable how much power I was using running up even shallow hills (2-4%). It's easy to go over threshold when RPE and heart rate can take a while to catch up. Instant pace data should also be improved with the foot pod, which is supposed to be more accurate than the Dynastream pods
  • Tracking fatigue -- running efficiency and leg spring stiffness show the signs of residual fatigue, so I can alter my training load when needed
  • Running dynamics -- metrics like vertical oscillation and ground contact time show how my form is changing across and within workouts, and how workout structure might be affecting my efficiency

As others noted, the most important tips to getting the Pioneer and foot pod working well are
  • Update the Firmware, which is changing frequently for the foot pod. If you are still having connection issues, some have fixed them by removing all sensors and re-pairing. Beyond that, Stryd support has some tips
  • If using a recent Garmin (920XT / fenix3 / 735XT etc.), use the Connect IQ Stryd Power data field to get power in the standard run mode
  • If syncing to TrainingPeaks, Strava, or 2Peaks, set them to pull data from Stryd PowerCenter rather than directly from Garmin Connect or Suunto. This will put the power data into a format they can process. Unfortunately it will also strip out the lap markers, at least until Stryd supports laps in PowerCenter

There are still some areas that can be improved in the experience, but a lot of this is out of Stryd's hands (for example, Garmin needs to support power natively in run mode, and third-party sites could do better dealing with the data added through Connect IQ).
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd's Footpod - Any Thoughts? [drrafe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drrafe wrote:
Now what I want is to be able to use either the footpod or the chest strap with my Garmin or Polar watch and have it show all the power data I want on the watch while I am working out and then transfer directly to my Training Peaks either through Garmin Connects or Polar Flow, I don't think that is too much to ask and when that can work seamlessly with accurate data, I'll start using it again.

If you have a recent Garmin that supports Connect IQ, you can use the Stryd app or data field to display power while working out. I use the data field (Stryd Power) so that I can customize the screens. Unfortunately it only displays current power (10s average); it would be great if it would support lap power and other metrics, and I know those are on Stryd's roadmap, but understandably they are focusing elsewhere right now with the footpod launching. Even better would be for Garmin to support power natively in run mode so that we wouldn't have to use Connect IQ for this.

On TrainingPeaks, the transfer works fine if you have TP get the data from Stryd PowerCenter. I agree that it would be much more convenient for TP to pull from GC directly, but that really isn't something Stryd controls as it's an issue with how TP handles data added through Connect IQ. If enough people complain, maybe TP will fix this. Otherwise we'll have to wait for Garmin to support run power natively (or switch to Polar?).
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd's Footpod - Any Thoughts? [mike_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your feed back and ideas. I used the Stryd enough (every run for about a year as I was one of the first to receive one) that I got a pretty good feel for power and what affected it. I did enjoy it but it just became too much of an issue right now and I will go back to it when some of the problems are fixed. For example I want more than current power. I had my Polar set to lap power when I was using that watch and the data became better the farther into the lap you were whether it was 400m or 1 mile or whatever. I did have my Stryd power center connected to TP as well as Garmin Connect. When you do this the Stryd power center will repeat the info and I was getting 3 files sent to TP. One correct file from GC and 2 corrupted files from Stryd. I want to continue to use GC (or Polar Flow if I go back to that watch) as a back up system to keep a record of my workouts in addition to the files on TP. I think Stryd is a GREAT concept and provides useful and interesting data that I enjoyed using and I learned a lot from it. I definitely see my self going back to it more in the future but right now will likely reserve it for certain workouts and to also go back and periodically test efficiency on the same courses that I use frequently. I do feel like I should get the foot pod out and learn to use it and plan to do that.
Quote Reply
Re: Stryd's Footpod - Any Thoughts? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FWIW GoldenCheetah v3.4 RC2 was updated to support FIT 2.0, both Stryd apps for Garmin are supported, developers fields with names corresponding to standard fields are treated accordingly so both show the same data, builds for Windows, Mac and Linux can be downloaded from: https://github.com/...eleases/tag/V3.4-RC2

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Last edited by: Ale Martinez: Nov 5, 16 17:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had some trouble with it st first, but with the latest updates, it's working great. Outdoors, I'm to the point that I'm using just like bike power. HR and live GAP do a horrible job at responding to punchy hills and for downhills; Stryd captures my PE very well and provides great guidance in the same way that bike power does for conserving energy in surging road races or TT's and climbs. My on complaint: it is consistently 3min/mile too slow on the treadmill while my garmin footpod is spot on compared with PE and HR which is confirmed outdoors with GPS. Luckily, or unluckily, I can have my garmin watch read in the footpod info into a pace data field and simultaneously read in Stryd power in an adjacent data field with no problem and all is good (Wahoo phone app was doing this, but it hasnt this week and the data it exports is not as correct as the garmin watch data). I live in the mountains which makes training with power pretty ideal. I'm looking forward to training by power alone on the run, though getting my power as low as possible at a particular pace has been valuable. For those wondering "why", I would suggest that training by pace for running is going to soon be comparable to training by speed for cycling.... well, maybe it will be a bit more like using the Argon 18 or SRAM speed stick sensors (see new zipp nsw vid) to actively compare drag and a wind and grade adjusted speed to power in live time.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply