Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
if you did a 5min blowout right before, if not read the 7 deadly sins by alexS

my ftp runs at about 92% without the blowout and I have done lots of hour long efforts in my life(well close to an hour anyway)

Agreed, you really should do the 5 min blow out.
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well then he seems to be changing his tune. When FTP was first created Coggan and Allen got to define it, and it was defined as an absolute objective max 1hr power. That's one thing I find appealing - though there are many methods commonly used to estimate FTP, they are all shooting for the same exact thing. From a coaching perspective I like that it provides me a common reference for all levels of athlete. Take the 40k TT as an example. if you use 40k TT power as FTP a simple 2X20' @ FTP workout would be a drastically different training stimulus for someone who rides a 52min 40k vs 75min FTP. It's kind of unfortunate that the definition of FTP has become a subjective moving target.

trail wrote:

"FTP is not defined as maximal power for 60 min." , Dr. Coggan. [source]

And later in that thread, "Now an all-out 60 min effort would be a good way of estimating FTP...although I have have always preferred a 40 km "

Given that I race 40K's all the time, I'm going with that as my FTP. Helps that I thrive on 40K races, but despise stupid trainer sessions.
Quote Reply
Re: "Watts Setpoint" if my FTP is 360 watts for 20 minute TT? [terrtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're in luck- DCRainmaker just released his roundup of indoor trainer apps and your Tacx trainer is likely compatible (Tacx Vortex Smart?) with quite a few of them, and they may even have free trials. Zwift currently runs on Windows and Mac and an iOS iPad version is due out before Christmas, and it will let you ride in a virtual environment and also has some workouts programmed in. There's a 14day free trial, but if you're a Strava Premium member (or even a 30-day free trial Strava Premium) you get up to 60 days free (or until Dec 31st now?) with Zwift when you link your accounts.

Trainer Road is another popular app to control your trainer and automatically vary the "hardness" of the workout, and they also have a free trial and run on iOS. I think it's 14 days? You set your FTP in the app, and then it puts you through a workout and the trainer makes sure you output the prescribed watts (if you slow your cadence, it will get harder and if you increase your cadence, the trainer will get easier. This is called "ERG mode".

To read about more apps, and check compatibility with your trainer, here's his link: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...html#comment-1745189
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
holograham wrote:
FTP is typically calculated as 95% of 20m avg power. So your 360 20m TT = 342 FTP

Meaning if you can hold 360w for 20 mins you could in theory hold 342w for 1 hour. This varies slightly for some people but it's the general rule of thumb.

you mean normalized power

No, average.
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
FTP is typically calculated as 95% of 20m avg power.

FTP is frequently estimated as 95% of 20 min average power (e.g., via Hunter Allen's test protocol).
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes ... thanks for the clarification. I do own and use your book :)
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Well then he seems to be changing his tune. When FTP was first created Coggan and Allen got to define it, and it was defined as an absolute objective max 1hr power.

Negatory, Batman.

TH3_FRB wrote:
if you use 40k TT power as FTP a simple 2X20' @ FTP workout would be a drastically different training stimulus for someone who rides a 52min 40k vs 75min FTP.

No, it would not, as the difference in power would, e.g., be less than the normal day-to-day variability in performance.

TH3_FRB wrote:
It's kind of unfortunate that the definition of FTP has become a subjective moving target.

It has always been, and always will be, a "moving target." I can understand the desire of many to pin it down to a specific duration/to the nearest Nth of a watt, but that only provides a false sense of precision.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Nov 3, 16 10:35
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you intentionally responding to one item at a time? :)

going to have to check your ftp on that.....finger typing performance
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
"FTP is not defined as maximal power for 60 min." , Dr. Coggan. [source]

Note that Golden Cheetah now uses longer test durations to calculate CP (as I have always recommended), such that the overestimation that I described in that thread no longer exists.
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
are you intentionally responding to one item at a time? :)

going to have to check your ftp on that.....finger typing performance

Just how my mind works.
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
terrtri wrote:
Like another person mentioned, pick up Training and Racing with Power or Joe Friel's book on power. This will help you understand the concept of power and how to use power to train

I can definitely recommend the former book.
Quote Reply

Prev Next