Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Andrewmc wrote:
accepting that it is a continuum of performance enhancing substances, we've accepted that caffeine up to a given point in spite of being a stimulant is permissable and that specific medications to treat specific conditions - insulin for diabetics - would be morally acceptable but when you have to go out and find a physician to sign off a TUE for a drug that speciailists in that area say they would not and should not prescribe its just pushing the legal boundaries of the sport to its very limit

To do it once, would be one thing - he had the symptoms pre the tour in 2012 - but to go and subsequently do it again, and then again...........we can all draw our own conclusions

Brad and Dave have made it their raison d'etre to profess the cleanliness of their programs to all and sundry but it turns out when you can find a sympathetic doctor and a drug that may (not one agrees it does) offer some relief to and underlying condition but has massive other benefits they have no problems saying thats ok..........

I have had such low expectations of sports for so long that I am not surprised but I did think that they were all about the spirit and the ethics of the sport. It turns out that this may not have been the case

Coming back to the gaming of the system, they (Sir Wiggo and Brailford) can technically stand up there with a straight face and say they did everything clean, because they have followed the rules (albeit very loose and easily hijacked) to the letter even though you and I consider them to be doped to the gills, but just like legally using caffeinated gels that none of us need a TUE for, they have taken the step of taking a drug legally that you need a TUE for. All playing inside the rules.

Rules need to be tightened if you don't want the players to get away with this stuff. This is what Dumoulin was kind of implying in his cyclingnew.com interview. There is always be someone who takes full advantage of the rules, playing completely legally if the rules allow for it. It's like the pro triathlete who sits at 12.01 m of the draft zone forever and they when he enters he takes 14.99 seconds to get through every times. He sits right on the boundary of what he is allowed to do. If we don't like it, make it 20 m and 7.5 seconds to pass once you enter.

I am certain that if you had Vino participate in this thread, he'd basically tell us that every team NOT doing what Sky is doing are idiots for leaving time on the table. Do you see how this ends up. Everyone ends up using every armament that the current arms race allows.

Wiggo still "performance enhanced" but totally legally...basically legally approved doping. Technically same deal as a 2.99 second sticky bottle hand off. (I assume they allow 3 seconds, but I might have that number wrong).

I don't think it's legal if the TUE was prescribed without legitimate reason. I highly doubt Wiggins would have gotten any of those TUE's had he seen any regular "unattached" doctor so it's not really legal doping, it's just doping. The problem is proving a TUE is not legit and that's how they're gaming the system.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I totally agree but it's almost like we have cake on our face for actually Believing a team like this.

Or shall I say, is there a way in today's world of winning and big money business for teams to do it the "right way"? I don't know, and I guess the "good guys" get sent packing early.

It kinda reminds me of college athletics and "amateurish" as schools make millions off players, coaches make absurb contracts as highest paid employee on campus, but we are suppose to believe this is all about a simple game played by students.

Shit like this pisses me off more and more. Idk maybe that's what it takes to compete at that level, but fuck...as a competitor, who doesn't want it to be simply a matter of "am I good enough". Of course in cycling it's not been that way for a long long time.

Just as you say, don't give me this BS "we are going to do it right".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But if the TUE was approved by UCI, then technically it's fine right? I don't like it, and it's not what Sky claimed to be about, but from what I've seen they followed the process and haven't done anything outside the rules. If they'd forged a doctor's approval, or back-dated forms or something, that would be more of a problem, but right now they seem to have followed the letter but not the spirit of the rules.

So there are 2 issues:

1) Sky are as cynical as any other team in that they push the envelope of what they can get away with within the rules. This isn't what they claimed to be about. Wiggins autobiography where he talked about having grown up in a "no needle" culture, and also stated how fit and healthy he was coming into the 2012 TdF (he said something like he only had a couple of minor colds and barely missed a day's training that season), is also now looking pretty stupid
2) The rules in this case seem to be open to abuse and need tightening up. I've got a lot of sympathy with the view that some substances are extreme enough that if you need them for medical reasons then you're probably sick enough that you shouldn't be racing. A couple of puffs of salbutamol which offers no benefit to somebody who's not an asthmatic is clearly fine, but a steroid which can potentially cut fat without losing power seems like it shouldn't be allowed under any circumstance short of taking time out of the sport
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm OK with the view that the rules are the rules, and that it would be naĂŻve not to take advantage of them. Certainly, if you take a parallel with legal drafting in triathlon, I wouldn't expect any triathlete to voluntarily maintain a 20m gap when the rule says 12m. As you say, the bit that stinks is the hypocrisy of saying one thing and doing another.

Maybe the simplest solution is simply to make the TUE process fully transparent (maybe 3 months in arrears, to avoid other riders getting a competitive advantage from knowing their opponent is suffering from hayfever or whatever). Publish the data, including any TUEs that have been rejected, and I suspect you'd see a big improvement both in what the teams submit in the first place, and in the rigour and consistency that UCI apply in reviewing them.
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
For the record, yes, I think Wiggins is a doper. Same with Froome. Same with the Williams sisters. And same with Bobridge and most of the other athletes implicated by Fancy Bears.

Doper, as in you think what has been published already counts as doping? Or doper, as in you think they've also been doing things which are outside the letter of the rules?
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree the problem also lies within UCI and other governing bodies and how TUE's approvals are handled. I just don't think that many of the TUE's like Wiggins are actually legit and inside the rules. The problem is that it's too complicated/impossible for the UCI to prove they're unnecessarily prescribed and therefore the use of a lot of those meds are approved despite in reality not being allowed.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is he a pro cyclist?

Then he is a doper...

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously I was the first in this thread to say Wiggo followed the rules but reading this discussion makes me wonder:

Would WADA say that getting a doctor to prescribe a highly performance enhancing drug when it is not indicated by the symptoms instead of the appropriate trea tent which nay not be performance enhancing and then exaggerating the case for it on the TUE is within the rules?

I'd bet they would say no. But their tue application examiners are supposed to be looking out for these shennanigans, right? Seems like they are just as much at fault for allowing this through.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eh, my guess is that it's setup to allow than to disallow. A strong union gets things setup like that.

Eta: when you start talking about people's "health", there are going to be far more restrictions on what authorities can do to stop someone from doing their job. So my guess is that if medical say xyz helps w whatever symptom, legally they are going to have hands tied when trying to ban it.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: Brooks Doughtie: Sep 26, 16 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [Brooks Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brooks Doughtie wrote:
Eh, my guess is that it's setup to allow than to disallow. A strong union gets things setup like that.

Eta: when you start talking about people's "health", there are going to be far more restrictions on what authorities can do to stop someone from doing their job. So my guess is that if medical say xyz helps w whatever symptom, legally they are going to have hands tied when trying to ban it.

you don't need an union to push for this when the governing body (viz. UCI) has vested interest in implementing things this way
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean keeping its stars involved in the sport? Yes they are guilty of that, and can be added to long list of all other sports organizations that have an interest in keeping its best athletes in front of the public.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/09/news/road/dumoulin-wiggins-tue-situation-stinks_421457

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
So he was injected with a powerful corticosteroid with potentially dangerous side-effects just before the 2011 and 2012 Tours de France and the 2013 Giro. He applied for and received a TUE for them both times - so he followed the rules.

I think it is clear that the rules need to change. But it is also clear that his actions are very much against the spirit of clean sport. Here is what David Millar, doper cum anti-doping crusader says about this drug:

“As I said in my book [Racing Through The Dark], I took EPO and testosterone patches, and they obviously produce huge differences in your blood and you felt at your top level … Kenacort, though, was the only one you took and three days later you looked different.
“I remember it was one of the reasons I took sleeping pills because Kenacort put you on this weird high. It’s quite scary because it’s catabolic so it’s eating into you. It felt destructive. It felt powerful.”
Millar said there was no doubt in his mind that the drug was performance-enhancing and called on the powers-that-be to ban its use in-competition via TUEs.

“You would do all the training but my weight would stick,” he said. “But if I took Kenacort, 1.5-2kgs would drop off in like a week. And not only would the weight drop off I would feel stronger.
“If you are non-asthmatic and you take Ventolin it’s not going to give you any advantage. But if you take Kenacort it’s not only going to make a sick person better, it’s going to make a sick person better than a healthy person. That’s a very grey area.

From http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...anned-says-david-mi/

Do we consider Wiggins just taking all of the legal advantages he could, or do we consider it an immoral choice, looking to gain an advantage against riders who respect clean sport and/or not be forced to take dangerous substances in order to be successful?

He is a legal doper, also anorectic Froome pictures come to mind when reading the story above, he probably also got TUE.

Here is why I think it is doping even despite the fact it was "approved by governing body"

Being part of big well connected team with tons of money, I'm assuming it would be much easier to receive TUE than applying as independent competitor. We all know how corrupted those governing bodies really are, and how easy is to "convince" them.

best example from Rio:
http://metro.co.uk/2016/08/11/second-kenyan-coach-booted-from-rio-olympics-after-posing-as-athlete-during-a-drug-test-6062824/

taking such a strong drugs and justifying that you "had to to get better or to stay alive", then suddenly winning the race, is a slap to everyone with a bit of brain.

We are all intelligent and have to think logically, not believing in all BS they are feeding us with.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds to me like we are creating a bar that Wiggins was supposed to meet (and failed to) so we can act outraged. Wiggins and team laid the expectation that they weren't doping and they aren't. The TUE process is completely legal and within the rules. The fact that we don't accept the TUE process is not relevant to this point. We can't retroactively create a standard for fairness then impose it on an athlete.

I frankly don't care one way or another about the TUE process. But people here get so appalled at any little medication that we need to draw a line. The TUE process is what sets the standard for taking certain medications.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 'posturing' of Sky always led me to believe they would do anything & everything to gain an advantage i.e. if it wasn't explicitly banned under WADA rules, it's fair game. We all know necessity is the mother of invention, and pharmacuticals are no exception.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one would object to it if they never thought it would come out. I also wonder if WADA really have the in house staff to review every TUE

First the team does it. They send it to the UCI. If the UCI say it's a ok. I don't see WADA having the resources to sense check every application

This shit - and that is what this is - has exposed brailsford and wiggins for being no different from Lance and Bruyneel in spirit only in the letter of the law
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ralph20 wrote:
It sounds to me like we are creating a bar that Wiggins was supposed to meet (and failed to) so we can act outraged. Wiggins and team laid the expectation that they weren't doping and they aren't. The TUE process is completely legal and within the rules. The fact that we don't accept the TUE process is not relevant to this point. We can't retroactively create a standard for fairness then impose it on an athlete.

I frankly don't care one way or another about the TUE process. But people here get so appalled at any little medication that we need to draw a line. The TUE process is what sets the standard for taking certain medications.

nope. most of us would agree that they played by the rules, albeit using an interpretation of the rules that pushed things to the hazy boundaries of the rules. Proving intent is a lot harder to do, and not many are trying to prove that though most would agree that the intent is to take full advantage of the fringe (or is it marginal) benefits provided by the treatment.

the outrage is at the inconsistencies between what were done and what were stated by Wiggo and Brailsford when they claimed that they'd hold themselves accountable to a higher standard (e.g. no needles). It was a publicity ploy at the time to extricate themselves from the fall outs from the Armstrong investigations, and they had not imagined at the time that they would need to reconcile their actions with their words at a later time (albeit the disclosure was made public by an organization with serious moral credibility issues)
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
No one would object to it if they never thought it would come out. I also wonder if WADA really have the in house staff to review every TUE

First the team does it. They send it to the UCI. If the UCI say it's a ok. I don't see WADA having the resources to sense check every application

This shit - and that is what this is - has exposed brailsford and wiggins for being no different from Lance and Bruyneel in spirit only in the letter of the law

Exactly my point.

Lance times - who has best doctor wins
Team Sky times - Who has best lawyer to navigate UCI BS rules wins.

If TUE would exist during Lance times, he would use it to full extent, he had $ and connections. It is sickening, they first shut Lance, then incorporate the whole circus before 2015 season, then allow them dope up to their gills under TUE in very legitimate way, so corporate dopers are not dopers anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [Ralph20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, Ralph.

Power13 wrote:
Yeah, I really think that is the easiest / simplest solution. No massive changes in the system are required....just make TUE's public.

I couldn't disagree more. Athletes have a right to medical privacy as much as anyone. The system should allow for that, as it does at the moment. If the TUE system is allowing athletes to take drugs to enhance performance under the pretence of medical need, then the TUE approval system needs refining. Perhaps a start would be having more than one doctor review and sign off the TUE or not approving TUEs retrospectively so they can be used to mask PEDs.

That's where the focus needs to be. Stripping athletes of medical privacy is not correct. These are sportsmen and women, not gladiators at the whim of the public.
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
I agree, Ralph.

Power13 wrote:
Yeah, I really think that is the easiest / simplest solution. No massive changes in the system are required....just make TUE's public.

I couldn't disagree more. Athletes have a right to medical privacy as much as anyone. The system should allow for that, as it does at the moment. If the TUE system is allowing athletes to take drugs to enhance performance under the pretence of medical need, then the TUE approval system needs refining. Perhaps a start would be having more than one doctor review and sign off the TUE or not approving TUEs retrospectively so they can be used to mask PEDs.

That's where the focus needs to be. Stripping athletes of medical privacy is not correct. These are sportsmen and women, not gladiators at the whim of the public.

I see where you are going, but I partially disagree for international level athletes, at which point you are a public figure and matter about your health, certainly those pertaining to performance, probably need to be public for coaches and fans. I have not totally thought this through though and could be easily swayed....certain at the local level or sub national level you have a right to privacy since sport might not be how you earn a living and public disclosure of "health issue" could affect how you earn a living elsewhere. But at an international level, athletes already lose privacy by having to register whereabouts and associated intrusions on life. No one is forcing anyone to be an athlete. At some point, using your analogy, once they are public figures, to some degree they indeed are modern day gladiators (short of the fight to death part).
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I disagree only in that we are finding out that people are hiding behind "medical privacy". I think above all else fair play matters more than anything.

That's where you need to start. If that means keeping medical privacy and changing how they give TUE's, fine.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although arguably their right to privacy is slightly diminished if they are receiving tax payers funds.

Transparency is good for sports. Individuals receiving government funds need to be subject to a degree of scrutiny that others need not be.

The athletes always have the choice not to publish and to not receive funds.

That said i agree there is a privacy issue. The issue here which is becoming more and more apparent as an endemic issue across all sports is that the bodies responsible for governance and transparency have failed abysmally in their duty of care both to individualsee and the spirit of the competition
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
I agree, Ralph.

Power13 wrote:

While I understand that point, my counter is simply that this is the cost of being a professional athlete under the WADA code. You are not entitled to that profession and, if you choose to pursue it, those are the rules.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's OK

Dave has said they didn't do it to enhance performance. The process has integrity

https://www.theguardian.com/...-bradley-wiggins-tue

That's cleared that up. Nothing to see here.......

F$$k brailsford and wiggins for thinking that's going to be it and we'll all swallow it........
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Ralph20 wrote:

nope. most of us would agree that they played by the rules, albeit using an interpretation of the rules that pushed things to the hazy boundaries of the rules. Proving intent is a lot harder to do, and not many are trying to prove that though most would agree that the intent is to take full advantage of the fringe (or is it marginal) benefits provided by the treatment.

the outrage is at the inconsistencies between what were done and what were stated by Wiggo and Brailsford when they claimed that they'd hold themselves accountable to a higher standard (e.g. no needles). It was a publicity ploy at the time to extricate themselves from the fall outs from the Armstrong investigations, and they had not imagined at the time that they would need to reconcile their actions with their words at a later time (albeit the disclosure was made public by an organization with serious moral credibility issues)

With all due respect, you just proved my point even though you started your post by refuting my point. He didn't push "to the hazy boundaries of the rules". Nor do we have any proof that the intent "is to take full advantage of the fringe benefits" of the treatment. He simply followed all the rules and got a TUE. Lastly, his "no needles" standard leaves some wiggle room. Does a flu shot count? You are splitting hairs so you can be incensed!

Again- If you have a problem with the TUE process we can certainly discuss that, but in another thread.
Quote Reply

Prev Next