Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is ITU Long Course World Champs a complete joke?
Quote | Reply
Here we are eight hours after the final and nobody has made a peep about this thing, and yet they call it a World Championships. What a bastardization of that term.

For the men, some person I have never heard of -- literally, I have not heard of him, and I stay in touch with triathlon just a little bit -- won the whole thing.

What is going on? Can we revoke ITU's right to call this thing a world championships?

Link for the lazy

http://www.triathlon.org/results/result/2016_oklahoma_itu_long_distance_triathlon_world_championships/281525
Last edited by: PubliusValerius: Sep 25, 16 4:23
Quote Reply
Re: Is ITU Long Course World Champs a complete joke? [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is Slowtwitch, and such things don't get discussed here. There are a few notables in the top ten of either field, so it's hardly stacked with nobodies.

What's more concerning is that there were just 17 entrants in the women's race. That's a very narrow field.

(As for Sylvain Sudrie, I'd never heard of him either. It seems he mostly races in France. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvain_Sudrie)

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Is ITU Long Course World Champs a complete joke? [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. An American has not heard of an athlete that doesn't live, train or race in the USA. Shocking.

Kinda like Greg Welch when he announces in Kona...
Quote Reply
Re: Is ITU Long Course World Champs a complete joke? [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
American has not heard of an athlete that doesn't live, train or race in the USA. Shocking.

I think I have heard of -- and by the way, am a fan of -- far more non-American professional triathletes than American pros. But yes, much like with the Lionel conversation, let's make this about nationalism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The USA AGers worked hard for the chance to race today.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope to race it next year.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the really lazy. Yeah who are any of those guys.... ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Last edited by: Mrcooper: Sep 24, 16 18:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for calling my biggest race of the year a joke.

It's not ironman so people don't talk about it as much. Besides, the race was brutal and people have only been done for a little while.
Quote Reply
Re: Is ITU Long Course World Champs a complete joke? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the race! Those winds can be brutal. Races out there are by far some of the hardest I can remember.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pubes, I'm surprised you haven't heard of those guys - pretty solid men's field. The French seem to put more emphasis on that race than others. Pretty sure he's won before. That Cyril V guy finished very high at Kona recently as well.

Seems like a quality of field equivalent to a lesser IM regional champs race. From my friends who raced it sounds like a super rough swim and a hot day. You'd expect the latter in OKC, but the swim surprised me.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
It's not ironman so people don't talk about it

This was pretty much my point.

I'm sorry it was your big race. I'm sorry it was brutal.

Actually, I'm not.
Quote Reply
Re: Is ITU Long Course World Champs a complete joke? [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

3Aims wrote:
The USA AGers worked hard for the chance to race today.

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Is ITU Long Course World Champs a complete joke? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Seems like a quality of field equivalent to a lesser IM regional champs race.

I agree with the above.

Why do you read that I haven't heard of the field? It is a stout field... I said I have not heard of the winner. Have you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Here we are eight hours after the final and nobody has made a peep about this thing, and yet they call it a World Championships. What a bastardization of that term.

For the men, some person I have never heard of -- literally, I have not heard of him, and I stay in touch with triathlon just a little bit -- won the whole thing.

What is going on? Can we revoke ITU's right to call this thing a world championships?

Link for the lazy

http://www.triathlon.org/results/result/2016_oklahoma_itu_long_distance_triathlon_world_championships/281525

The only joke is your post. You know that Kona guys aren't racing because of timing. So what. There's more to tri than WTC - a discussion we're all sick of having on here. You've never heard of beals? Alexander? Reid? Ambrose? Mc niece? Etc.? Of course you have, so this is annoying elitist rubbish.
Quote Reply
Re: Is ITU Long Course World Champs a complete joke? [pricardo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ONLY SAID I HAVE NOT HEARD OF THE WINNER

FFS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eh, how active are you on Twitter? If you follow enough people it was easy to follow the results (and I don't follow all that many people).

Chrabot did get bronze, so ya for USA!

But I've never really thought anyone takes this race serious in terms of the LC PRO athletes side of the sport. It seems it's for those either recovering from injury and/or can't make Kona.

Eta: or maybe I just don't take it serious enough to even know who raced. If solid field...cool.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: Brooks Doughtie: Sep 24, 16 18:56
Quote Reply
Re: Is ITU Long Course World Champs a complete joke? [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Craig Alexander? What a nobody.

I heard that some person named Jodie Swallow won the women's race and she beat Caroline Steffen.

And where is Oklahoma anyway???

Quote Reply
Re: Is ITU Long Course World Champs a complete joke? [pricardo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pricardo wrote:
There's more to tri than WTC

I actually think that, at this point, aside from WTS ITU, there really isn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations, by the way. How was the race?

Quote Reply
Re: Is ITU Long Course World Champs a complete joke? [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
And where is Oklahoma anyway???

This one is easy. Oklahoma is a little bit north of Dallas...it serves as an excellent parking lot for the great state of Texas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:
Seems like a quality of field equivalent to a lesser IM regional champs race.

I agree with the above.

Why do you read that I haven't heard of the field? It is a stout field... I said I have not heard of the winner. Have you?

I was about to use my Samuel L Jackson voice to say "English, motherf*cker - do you read it?", but I realized that I left out a key sentence in my reply.

My apologies.

I have heard of Sudrie. He was the one I was referring to that I believe has won it before.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
pricardo wrote:
There's more to tri than WTC

I actually think that, at this point, aside from WTS ITU, there really isn't.

Yes, of course it's an increasing problem, as discussed ad nauseam. But I manage to do both WTC and smaller series and/or independents each year. The upcoming westchester Olympic tri just north of nyc, for example, is in its 30th year and will have 1,000 participants. But if you're talking pro events, I can only agree. Seems like the challenge and rev races are like minor leagues. Pros follow the money and what sponsors want re exposure, so can't blame them.
Quote Reply
Re: Is ITU Long Course World Champs a complete joke? [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only guy in top 10 I haven't heard of is the Italian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:

Only when you revoke WTCs right to call it a 'World Championship'. That is a far bigger joke than the ITU long course World Champs, at least everyone actually qualified to be there. . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello PubliusValerius Publicola and All,

I know this is nitpickin' ..... but "Link for the lazy" ...... really?

Perhaps "Link by the lazy" would be more appropriate .....

Please check out the little infinity icon above and activate your links when you post.

It will be appreciated by the many ST readers that are time crunched .... a little extra effort by one of you and time saved for many ST readers.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply

Prev Next