Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Hey Ed, I am on the same page as you as to what the "intent" likely was, however, I think we need to let the system do its thing and allow the athletes to use whatever is acceptable in the system or change the system, not ask the athletes to go above and beyond because we may perceive it as morally wrong, keeping in mind that our morals in North America, or some kid in Kenya, or Khazakstan, or for that matter a British Knight's morals may not coincide.

Also in that vein let's not forget the blood bags that Rebecca Twigg, ***** ******, Alexi Grewal, Steve Hegg etc all had injected to them for their medals at the LA Olympic games cycling. It's also widely viewed that the last double Olympic 5000m+10000m gold medalist (Munich + Montreal) was more than likely on blood bags as the Finns seemed to have this nicely figured out. But all those were legit medals. The athletes and docs used every legal means available to them.

Interesection of intent and moral judgement is problematic just because of cultural/societal differences. We need the system fixed wherever possible

There is nothing on the record to suggest that Phinney partook in this. http://www.si.com/...s-tainted-with-blood
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Threads all seem to have a variety of prattle, information, knowledge , and occasionally wisdom. Your comment is spot on. O'Malley's a thoughtful guy too.
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
The timing of Wiggins' TUEs make it very clear what the intent was.

Racing. The reason you don't see TUEs for corticosteroids at other times is because corticosteroids are only prohibited in-competition; a TUE would only be needed for in-competition use.

Maybe there was nefarious intent, maybe not. The timing isn't remotely suspicious, because of the above. Most of the outrage here is built by people who aren't medical professionals and who don't know WADA regs. Did he need Kenacort? Was it overkill? Or was it gaming the system with an inappropriate TUE? I don't know, but I'm not Wiggins' doctor. I do know that having a TUE in place before a race isn't evidence though.
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:
I'm sorry but santa isn't real they all dope still and so do all your favorite pro triathletes just get over it

What does "get over it" mean? Does it mean just allow everyone to dope and not worry about it? Should I allow that attitude to carry over to AG triathlon where I have to race the dopers? What about high school cross country?

you pretend like wiggins or weiss is really an outlier just accept it kienle jan lionel ryf mirinda are all injecting themselves multiple times per day it's just a matter of who gets caught so just accept it they are all dopers. no sport is clean to any extent at its highest level

I think you are having an argument with yourself. I have not said any of those things. Are there top pro triathletes who dope that have not been caught? I am sure of it. Do I believe that every single person on the course at Kona is doped up? Nope. I do not believe that. And I know I will not dope and that I will not accept doping by people I race against. One way to make doping less attractive and reduce it is by making those that we know are doping feel unwelcome at races. Some sociopaths don't care about that, but most do care. They dope because they want people to think highly of them. If doping leads to the opposite of that, it stops serving its purpose.

"Accepting" doping does the opposite. And it leads to only those willing to risk debilitating long-term health problems in exchange for being able s/b/r faster for a few years being able to achieve success in sport. It leads to kids who do not have the maturity to weigh those consequences against the benefits to doping.

bitch stfu the shit i'm saying makes total sense and is perfectly in context if there was no point in what i was saying this thread you made wouldn't exist. bro just get over it end of thread slowtwitch didn't solve doping and top 15 are still full of epo congrats oh big suprise bradley wiggins did corticosteroids wow never woulda guessed oh shit *your favorite pro triathlete* does epo, 70.3 champ works with doping cyclist, michael weiss uses peds, wow headline news extremely competitive people do things that make them win
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Sep 24, 16 15:54
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow.

'70.3 champ works with doping cyclist'

No evidence whatsoever of that champ. And the rest is horse shit as well.

Bitch.
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
let me add some commas to that bitch
alright now read. dude people were going crazy about her working with yates or whatever his name was. i pulled kienle out of my ass but he does them too so do the rest of them just get over it
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Sep 24, 16 14:05
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
So he was injected with a powerful corticosteroid with potentially dangerous side-effects just before the 2011 and 2012 Tours de France and the 2013 Giro. He applied for and received a TUE for them both times - so he followed the rules.

It's important to note that it's *POSSIBLE* that he was injected with powerful corticosteroids much more regularly than "just before the 2011 & 2012 Tours de France and the 2013 Giro."

One huge thing to remember here is that one of the primary noted benefits/side-effects of the corticosteroids listed is that they assist with fat metabolism. Corticosteroids are only banned *IN COMPETITION.* Why this is the case is the topic of some debate, as it seems highly likely that abuse of glucocorticoids outside of competition is a huge problem. But that's a separate topic.

In any case, the larger point is that Wiggins might have been taking several of these medications of a very regular basis. One of his noted "transformations" was that he managed to lean down from being a relatively (for cycling) "large" track cyclist to a fantastic climber. Similar allegations dog the skinny-AF Froome.

In fact, the skeptics argue that the TUE for IC often stems from how long it takes to clear the system. I.e., they are really using this stuff for training, but they get a TUE so that in case it takes too long to clear the system, the are covered. I bring this up because - based on what several dopers-turned-whistleblower (like Landis) have indicated - it's unlikely that they were only taking this stuff during races.

It's obviously just speculation, but I'd be shocked if those TUEs represented the only times that Wiggins was taking these medications.

For the record, yes, I think Wiggins is a doper. Same with Froome. Same with the Williams sisters. And same with Bobridge and most of the other athletes implicated by Fancy Bears.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:
I'm sorry but santa isn't real they all dope still and so do all your favorite pro triathletes just get over it

What does "get over it" mean? Does it mean just allow everyone to dope and not worry about it? Should I allow that attitude to carry over to AG triathlon where I have to race the dopers? What about high school cross country?

you pretend like wiggins or weiss is really an outlier just accept it kienle jan lionel ryf mirinda are all injecting themselves multiple times per day it's just a matter of who gets caught so just accept it they are all dopers. no sport is clean to any extent at its highest level

I think you are having an argument with yourself. I have not said any of those things. Are there top pro triathletes who dope that have not been caught? I am sure of it. Do I believe that every single person on the course at Kona is doped up? Nope. I do not believe that. And I know I will not dope and that I will not accept doping by people I race against. One way to make doping less attractive and reduce it is by making those that we know are doping feel unwelcome at races. Some sociopaths don't care about that, but most do care. They dope because they want people to think highly of them. If doping leads to the opposite of that, it stops serving its purpose.

"Accepting" doping does the opposite. And it leads to only those willing to risk debilitating long-term health problems in exchange for being able s/b/r faster for a few years being able to achieve success in sport. It leads to kids who do not have the maturity to weigh those consequences against the benefits to doping.

bitch stfu the shit i'm saying makes total sense and is perfectly in context if there was no point in what i was saying this thread you made wouldn't exist. bro just get over it end of thread slowtwitch didn't solve doping and top 15 are still full of epo congrats oh big suprise bradley wiggins did corticosteroids wow never woulda guessed oh shit sebastian kienle does epo, 70.3 champ works with doping cyclist, michael weiss uses peds, wow headline news extremely competitive people do things that make them win

LOL... ok. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Might not be seeing you much on ST anymore with that outright accusation of Kienle.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wiggins is not a doper...and OJ is not a murderer. We have fabulous systems that work perfectly for most offenders so why would anyone want anything changed?
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the additional clarity on the use of the corticosteroids. Makes his "a needle has never pierced my skin" even more untruthlful.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
So he was injected with a powerful corticosteroid with potentially dangerous side-effects just before the 2011 and 2012 Tours de France and the 2013 Giro. He applied for and received a TUE for them both times - so he followed the rules.

It's important to note that it's *POSSIBLE* that he was injected with powerful corticosteroids much more regularly than "just before the 2011 & 2012 Tours de France and the 2013 Giro."

One huge thing to remember here is that one of the primary noted benefits/side-effects of the corticosteroids listed is that they assist with fat metabolism. Corticosteroids are only banned *IN COMPETITION.* Why this is the case is the topic of some debate, as it seems highly likely that abuse of glucocorticoids outside of competition is a huge problem. But that's a separate topic.

In any case, the larger point is that Wiggins might have been taking several of these medications of a very regular basis. One of his noted "transformations" was that he managed to lean down from being a relatively (for cycling) "large" track cyclist to a fantastic climber. Similar allegations dog the skinny-AF Froome.

In fact, the skeptics argue that the TUE for IC often stems from how long it takes to clear the system. I.e., they are really using this stuff for training, but they get a TUE so that in case it takes too long to clear the system, the are covered. I bring this up because - based on what several dopers-turned-whistleblower (like Landis) have indicated - it's unlikely that they were only taking this stuff during races.

It's obviously just speculation, but I'd be shocked if those TUEs represented the only times that Wiggins was taking these medications.

For the record, yes, I think Wiggins is a doper. Same with Froome. Same with the Williams sisters. And same with Bobridge and most of the other athletes implicated by Fancy Bears.

I think a fun ST front page interview would be an interview of the fancy bears hacker team!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't call him a cheater by any means but it's certainly not within the spirit of the sport. It certainly taints his record.

In my opinion, we need to revisit the TUE. I think the athlete should be barred from competing for at least a year while taking anything that would require a TUE. Yes, some conditions just happen on a person but part of sport is walking the line in training so that you don't dig your body into a hole that requires a TUE med to get out of.

Also, as others have mentioned, I think professional sport (all types) should make medical records public. If a doctor prescribes something they have to know the world is going to look over their shoulder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:

bitch stfu the shit i'm saying makes total sense and is perfectly in context if there was no point in what i was saying this thread you made wouldn't exist. bro just get over it end of thread slowtwitch didn't solve doping and top 15 are still full of epo congrats oh big suprise bradley wiggins did corticosteroids wow never woulda guessed oh shit sebastian kienle does epo, 70.3 champ works with doping cyclist, michael weiss uses peds, wow headline news extremely competitive people do things that make them win

LOL... ok. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Might not be seeing you much on ST anymore with that outright accusation of Kienle.

alright bro me and you right now settle this like real men out on the green mono e mono i got a brand new 7 iron ready for some birdies bro mi banditos tienen la salsa verde es caliente bruhh yo soy platano breeuuuuwwhhh like dude bro dawg es no broma mi amigo... tu mejor correr rapido antes yo correr arriba en tu culo con mi calor picante get your taco ready bro your shit better b fuego cause i'm on my way to your location with 2 humvees full of la calor.. i got 4 anvils and barbells bro pumping iron for 24 hours at a time eating nothing but raw meat
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Sep 24, 16 15:32
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some people have ongoing conditions which require them to use banned substances ALL of the time. I'm a diabetic. Insulin is a banned substance. I need it to live. I inject it 4 times a day.

If you didn't allow a TUE for this, people like Steve Redgrave (legendary british rower) and Gary Hall Jnr would not be able to compete. It's hardly an advantage to have a medical condition which requires medication which happens to be banned just to live a somewhat 'normal' life. Although a "normal life" for a person with a chronic condition is somewhat different to someone who requires no medication to just live or be healthy.

I am sure there are other conditions that require people to use banned substances regularly or to use them if they have a flare up of their condition or the like.

Calling for a blanket ban on TUEs is stupid. They serve a purpose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
eggplantOG wrote:

alright bro me and you right now settle this like real men out on the green mono e mono i got a brand new 7 iron ready for some birdies bro mi banditos tienen la salsa verde es caliente bruhh yo soy platano breeuuuuwwhhh like dawg es no broma mi amigo... tu mejor correr rapido antes yo correr arriba en tu culo con mi picante get your taco ready bro your shit better b fuego cause i'm on my way to your location with 2 humvees full of la calor.. i got 4 anvils and barbells bro pumping iron for 24 hours at a time eating raw meat

1. You have issues.

2. I would be a fairly large sum of money that you are nothing like this persona you project on this forum.

3. If you like posting on this forum, I would suggest 1) Reading the forum rules, and 2) Deleting the completely unsubstantiated allegations that people like Kienle have doped, lest Slowman see this thread and ban you.

Good day.

Quote | Reply
i'm serious dude.... a serious weightlifter
lmfao but come on dude that shit was hilarious lol i'm cracking up rn bro tbh like come on it says "i am banana"... lol but my initial point was that it could be anybody i was just using kienle for example but in reality 90% of the best pros. i edited the post though and took kienle's name out
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Sep 24, 16 15:55
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
Some people have ongoing conditions which require them to use banned substances ALL of the time. I'm a diabetic. Insulin is a banned substance. I need it to live. I inject it 4 times a day.

If you didn't allow a TUE for this, people like Steve Redgrave (legendary british rower) and Gary Hall Jnr would not be able to compete. It's hardly an advantage to have a medical condition which requires medication which happens to be banned just to live a somewhat 'normal' life. Although a "normal life" for a person with a chronic condition is somewhat different to someone who requires no medication to just live or be healthy.

I am sure there are other conditions that require people to use banned substances regularly or to use them if they have a flare up of their condition or the like.

My apologies, I typed that post in haste. I didn't mean for s blanket ban on TUEs but rather TUEs that could readily be abused (basically any steroid, HGH, etc). They can get the TUE for those but they can't compete while on them. In Wiggins case, he'd have treated whatever was ailing him but not been able to compete.
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:

So what we are discussing is a failed system, which is why I have suggested removing the specifics of any athlete from the discussion. It avoids partisan emotion from those lacking emotional maturity.

I'd look at it a bit differently. We just have to adjust our expectations that a perfect system is possible, and accept that the WADA system is effectively enforcing regulated doping, not eliminating doping.

I've always suspected that there's aggressive exploitation of gray areas at best. And black areas in some cases (Russia).

But it's still, in my opinion, a shit-ton better than no regulation.

Not that I mind a little transparency thrown into the works.

Though I cringe at the source. This is Russia being butthurt over being publicly exposed and embarrassed. If this is the worst they can throw at WADA - a couple dozen TUEs for corticosteroids - it's a WADA win. In my mind, despite the WADA flaws I'm firmly in the Russia = Bad Guys / WADA = Good Guys camp.
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just as a matter of interest, my wife is naturally athletic, and runs twice a week, swims three times a week, and is a healthy weight. She had a back injury about 10 years ago, which flared up badly again last summer, so she was prescribed a 10 day course of prednisolone.

Thankfully, it did the job, and got rid of her disc pain, but the thing that shocked me the most was that she lost about 5 kgs in two weeks, and I couldn't believe how 'cut' she looked. It also affected her mood, to the point where she was relieved when the course finished. This is powerful stuff, and just on my small exposure to it, I'd be hesitant to take it unless absolutely necessary. It's quite shocking to me that it is abused within pro cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This we topic has levels, floors and rooms. From different levels, floors and rooms the topic itself is save hidden behind various walls. To consider something is private amusement in a room. To consider something together is promoting fellowship on a floor. Changing the point of view is entering another floor. Understanding what all this leads to is leaving the building a go riding ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you RACE for living ... well

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry, I'm not clear what your comment refers to.
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
fulla wrote:

My apologies, I typed that post in haste. I didn't mean for s blanket ban on TUEs but rather TUEs that could readily be abused (basically any steroid, HGH, etc). They can get the TUE for those but they can't compete while on them. In Wiggins case, he'd have treated whatever was ailing him but not been able to compete.

All good.

On the subject of cortisone, I had a cortisone injection for a partial tear of my ligamentum teres, the ligament at the end of the femur in the hip socket, and I have to say it has kinda made me feel hyped up for the last month or so. I had some psuedoephedrine (must have bought it overseas as it is no longer sold OTC here in nz anymore) today as I have been quite blocked up with a cold and it has made me feel quite hyped up. My understanding is that one of the performance enhancing effects can be this hyped feeling which allows you to push harder than normal?

I am trying to avoid arthroscopic surgery so hopefully the cortisone does its job. Although my groin/hip area still does not quite feel back to normal, even though I haven't been running, cycling or even kicking in swimming.

I haven't noticed any impact on my weight really, but then I haven't been training much, just swimming 2 to 3kms 5 times a week, although for last 2 weeks I've done nothing really.
Last edited by: fulla: Sep 25, 16 0:43
Quote Reply
Re: Wiggins didn't break the rules - but do we consider him a doper anyway? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37462540

"'This was about putting myself back on a level playing field'

Well at least that doesn't sound like Armstrong!

I held this guy up as a home grown hero. I have ridden on the Velodrome he started on (Herne Hill, South London) I supported him through TDF, and 2 Olympics

And all this, it just makes him look shit! :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better question - given his earlier admission of "no needles" - is he a liar?

His explanation seems to have shifted the emphasis from "no needles" to "no illegitimate or unnecessary needles" which isn't at all what the original quote was talking about.
Quote Reply

Prev Next