Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Latest Excuse for Mayhem...Right Here in My Town [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
slowguy wrote:
It makes sense to hold the video of a killing until the details are in, and even afterward, I'm not sure I'd want it released. The worst moments of both the victims and probably the cops' lives on tape, maybe not something the entire world has some right to see.

Why do you feel this way? It seems like more transparency at this point might lower the tension within the community.

Uh, we all know that "hands up, don't shoot" NEVER HAPPENED!!!!!

And still...

The true here doesn't matter. You could release a video of the "victim" raping a baby in front of the cops and (as long as the baby was white) we'd still see riots.

We should shoot the looters on site.

Fuck these fucking savages. This shit really needs to stop.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Excuse for Mayhem...Right Here in My Town [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
slowguy wrote:
It makes sense to hold the video of a killing until the details are in, and even afterward, I'm not sure I'd want it released. The worst moments of both the victims and probably the cops' lives on tape, maybe not something the entire world has some right to see.

Why do you feel this way? It seems like more transparency at this point might lower the tension within the community.

It's not the police department's job to lower tensions by caving in to the demands of an irrational mess of public perception. Their job right now is to conduct a thorough investigation, and to protect the rights of the deceased, his family, and the officers involved.

Calming the tensions of the community is the job of local leaders and politicians, who should be ashamed of themselves if they're not out on TV and in person urging people to calm down, protest non-violently, etc.

1. The video is potential evidence of a crime. It either shows the victim refusing to respond to police direction and holding a weapon, or it shows police shooting him in cold blood. It should be safeguarded as such.
2. The video presumably shows the violent death of one man, at the hands of others. That one man has family who I can't imagine want to see replays of their husband/dad being shot to death on TV and internet for the rest of their lives, and certainly not in the foreseeable future on a 24 hour loop. The officers also probably don't want to have to see, or have their families see, them shoot a man to death, over and over. Killing a man is one of the worst events in anyone's life, even if the killing was justified.
3. I have seen little evidence that seeing the truth (if it turns out that the police were justified) will have any calming effect on the people who are determined that the police are out to murder black men all over the country. The narrative will simply be shifted to where the weapon was pointed, or how he felt he needed the weapon to defend himself against the evil police, or some other such nonsense.

In the absence of any convincing reason to release the video, and in the spirit of the new law just passed in NC that requires a judge to rule on the release of police video, and in the spirit of being sensitive to the loss of the family and the rights of the officers, I don't see any compelling reason to release the video publicly.

I think it's a good idea to show the family, if they want to see it. I only hope that, if it exonerates the police, the family will step forward and say so.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Excuse for Mayhem...Right Here in My Town [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I know the police are standing by as the looting goes on to avoid an escalation but they really do have to put an end to the clowns jumping on police cars or looting stores. They sit around and stand by and things escalate anyway.

Quote Reply
Re: Latest Excuse for Mayhem...Right Here in My Town [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I know the police are standing by as the looting goes on to avoid an escalation but they really do have to put an end to the clowns jumping on police cars or looting stores. They sit around and stand by and things escalate anyway.
Thw protestor in critical care has passed away. Civilian on civilian shooting. This shit is damn stupid and I agree the looters/thugs need be shot (non lethal) or rounded up and placed in a holding cell with tear gas bombs going off every ten minutes.

Quote | Reply
travelmama wrote:
Thw protestor in critical care has passed away. Civilian on civilian shooting.

Well that oughta show "the man" that they mean business.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Excuse for Mayhem...Right Here in My Town [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
travelmama wrote:

Exactly. Damn fuck faces cannot do it right. Chances are the shooter will be found within the next 48 hrs. given everyone and their mother had their cameras on.

Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
travelmama wrote:

White dude attacked and begs for his life. He shouldn't have been dressed provocatively I guess.

http://www.dailywire.com/...ercy-chase-stephens#

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Excuse for Mayhem...Right Here in My Town [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
     So the family has now seen the video, said it left them with more questions, and called for it to be made public. Police chief says it probably won't be for various other reasons related to the investigation.
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Excuse for Mayhem...Right Here in My Town [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For all you people who question weather or not the cops should shoot.. Not saying you Dave... just replying to the last thread. I beleive I posted this before..

Quote Reply
Re: Latest Excuse for Mayhem...Right Here in My Town [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Suspect has been arrested in the killing of the protestor. Other arrests have been made involving looters and other thugs. Surely social media helped in the efforts.

Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
slowguy wrote:
travelmama wrote:

White dude attacked and begs for his life. He shouldn't have been dressed provocatively I guess.

http://www.dailywire.com/...ercy-chase-stephens#

Imagine if hordes of white dudes were running around destroying shit and targeting blacks for random beatings...

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's ok, they've been oppressed for so long that we have to excuse this behaviour.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Imagine if hordes of white dudes were running around destroying shit and targeting blacks for random beatings...

This has been going on for years and is simply accepted. Reginald Denny and many since then. We've even had periods of largely unprovoked attacks, remember the sucker punch craze where a group of people would run up behind someone and one of them would just punch them as hard as they could and try to knock them out?

This is much less an issue with systemic racism then it is with a culture steeped in anger and violence that is literally eating itself alive and needs more fuel to feed the flame they can't seem to extinguish.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Latest Excuse for Mayhem...Right Here in My Town [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:

This has been going on for years and is simply accepted. Reginald Denny and many since then. We've even had periods of largely unprovoked attacks, remember the sucker punch craze where a group of people would run up behind someone and one of them would just punch them as hard as they could and try to knock them out?

This is much less an issue with systemic racism then it is with a culture steeped in anger and violence that is literally eating itself alive and needs more fuel to feed the flame they can't seem to extinguish.

~Matt

And I believe that the "mainstream" opinion that this type of behavior is expected and excused is also a major contributor to the problem.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Excuse for Mayhem...Right Here in My Town [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You think I live in a Bubble is a funny comment coming from a liberal who lives in the bay area.

"Bubble" isn't dependent on geography, it is dependent on an attitude of viewing the world. Saying that no democrats are Christian is simply false. I know that this is the LR, so outrageous claims are required, but so is calling them out. Ridiculous statements repeated often enough create a twisted "reality".
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Excuse for Mayhem...Right Here in My Town [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The wife has released her cell phone video of the incident. Caution: Lots of F-bombs in the audio.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/24/us/charlotte-keith-scott-shooting-video.html?_r=1

Not sure what I am doing wrong with the link.... Tried to hyperlink it.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Excuse for Mayhem...Right Here in My Town [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a strange video. Hard to follow without being able to see what the officers and the man in question are doing.

IT SEEMS TO ME (Just guessing after watching one time so I am not condemning anybody!) That after saying he doesn't have a weapon, she starts telling her husband "Don't do it" although it could be directed at police. Regardless he was clearly told many times to drop the gun.

What really gets me is her reaction after, initially she's shocked but the longer she talks the more assured she gets like she is glad the cops are in trouble and seems less concerned about the fact that her husband just got shot.... Again, this is how I interpreted it and I am by no means in expert.
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Excuse for Mayhem...Right Here in My Town [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very Very weird reaction. She was definitely telling her husband not to do it (whatever "it" is).

But she didn't seem all that upset that he might be dying. If my wife was shot I'd be fucking hysterical. Weird, just weird.

Quote Reply
Re: Latest Excuse for Mayhem...Right Here in My Town [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exact same thoughts. I thought the same with the Castile shooting though. How could you be recording that? I would be out of my mind if I was the bystander.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:

~Matt
You say that like it isn't still happening....articles from the past month related to the knockout game--obviously some of these stories are covering the same incident but take a look...again, just in the past month:
https://www.google.com/...t+game&tbs=qdr:m
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Excuse for Mayhem...Right Here in My Town [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me guess. A white cop?
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Excuse for Mayhem...Right Here in My Town [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You say that like it isn't still happening.

Still happening but I don't think it is nearly as predominate as it was when it first started.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Latest Excuse for Mayhem...Right Here in My Town [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what really gets me is her reaction after, initially she's shocked but the longer she talks the more assured she gets like she is glad the cops are in trouble and seems less concerned about the fact that her husband just got shot

It's almost as if she started thinking about a legal settlement coming her way...nah, that can't be it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
You say that like it isn't still happening.

Still happening but I don't think it is nearly as predominate as it was when it first started.

~Matt

It really doesn't get reported on, aside from the local level everyday stuff, so honestly who knows? The media doesn't seem to care so it doesn't become a 'thing', but I'd bet dollars to donuts that if the 'knockout game' were treated the way 'cops shooting black people' by the media we'd see a lot more of the former than the latter.

Not saying they're equitable situations but I do think the knockout game points to a real issue that goes completely ignored, which is the same real issue around why black people are finding themselves in these situations with cops in the first place in many cases.
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Excuse for Mayhem...Right Here in My Town [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dvfmfidc wrote:
Let me guess. A white cop?
Are you trying to be funny?

Prev Next