Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carter Lake: Some like it hot
Quote | Reply
USAT posted today that the water temperature at Carter Lake (swim venue for Nationals) is 84.9' F. This is getting close to FINA's upper limit of 31' C for their open water swims. Yes, the swims are only 1.5K and 750m but nothing like being basted before the bike and the run.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Carter Lake: Some like it hot [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holy crap. where'd you see that? yesterday's email said 82F.

i swam at the Y once when it was 86F...felt like i was roasting alive. not pleasant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race I traditionally do the week or two before Nationals has pretty warm water as well... think last year was 82 or 83. Almost 85 is pretty warm! Hydrating before the swim will be pretty important this year and I'm not packing a wetsuit "just in case". :) \

Going to be a bit of change from Milwaukee and Chicago last year for sure. I rarely have to use a wet suit, so I'm good with no suit.. water could be a bit cooler but as they say, "it is, what it is".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw this. I've never raced in such warm water. Everything I've swam has been wetsuit legal or under 80 degrees. How bad does it get? Is there a technique/approach to this? Swim is my strong leg, though I'm nursing a tight shoulder that I'm hoping is magically better in three weeks.

Does USAT have a max temp?

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing out of the ordinary here in LA ( Lower Alabama). The lakes I swim in are at least 85 degrees and probably closer to 87 at times. I don't notice it, feels perfectly fine. It doesn't bother me at all, guess I'm used to it.
Quote Reply
Re: Carter Lake: Some like it hot [htrout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USAT has no posted up limit while FINA (31' C) and ITU (32' C) do. The danger is to come out of the water a bit cooked and just exacerbating the possibility of hyperthermia the rest of the race. The overall heat index also plays an important role.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LazyEP wrote:
USAT posted today that the water temperature at Carter Lake (swim venue for Nationals) is 84.9' F. This is getting close to FINA's upper limit of 31' C for their open water swims. Yes, the swims are only 1.5K and 750m but nothing like being basted before the bike and the run.

Speaking of the run, I just looked at the run course on Google Earth. It's wide open with no shade and it runs (literally) through an industrial area. If the sun is blazing, it could be a fun 10K or 5K.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a sprint triathlon recently where they don't ban wetsuits except for open division. They don't bother taking water temperature. I am certain it was close to 90 in the water. I felt a little nauseous about midway through the swim because the water was so warm. And there were a few people with wetsuits on. It was only a 650yd swim but I don't know how those people did it with a wetsuit.
Quote Reply