Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post Your (Bike) Race Weight
Quote | Reply
In the same vein as the speed to power and x/y strings, I'm curious to see the range of bike weights as geared up for a race. Just to normalize it, let's say what you would have for a HIM minus any nutrition, liquids, shoes or the rider. We always see weight in individual components, or frames, or wheels, but I don't see the final package that goes out the morning on race day. So post the following:

Total Weight:
Make/Model/Year:
Wheels:
Components:
Modifications from stock:
Storage:
Bottles (empty):
Spares:
Picture (Why not…it's always fun to covet awesome bikes)

I'll Start:

Total Weight: 23.4 lbs
Make/Model/Year: 2014 Felt B16
Wheels: full carbon 80mm (generic) with wheelbuilder cover on back
Components: 105
Modifications: Swapped out square tapered bottom bracket for BB386 / installed P2max crank / swapped stock saddle for Specialized Sitero
Storage: xlab stealth on top tube / Torhans aero bottle on seat tube (used for spares)
Bottles (empty): single behind the seat integrated in saddle w/ 22 oz insulated bottle / xlab torpedo aero bottle
Spares: 1 butyl tube / 2 co2 / 1 pump / plastic changing tools

Quote Reply
Re: Post Your (Bike) Race Weight [Swim_Bike_Rum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unless you race with empty bottle, i think you should include the liquid weight. i have seen some people carrying over 5 pounds of liquids, potentially over 6 pounds, and that was at my last oly...
Quote Reply
Re: Post Your (Bike) Race Weight [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought my bike was heavy at 20lbs (without liquids). Spesh Shiv. Wheels 60 front, 90 rear.

LOL at 5 lbs of liquids at an oly. I'm big and sweat a lot (same height and weight and build as Torbjørn Sindballe, and same problems with heat). One bottle is enough for an oly. Two for a cooler 70.3 Three for a hot 70.3. Do those folks not finish half the water? Or do they run to port-a-potties every few miles?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:
unless you race with empty bottle, i think you should include the liquid weight. i have seen some people carrying over 5 pounds of liquids, potentially over 6 pounds, and that was at my last oly...

My thoughts were that we need to draw the line somewhere and that is easy enough to add back in. Just assume 8.34 lbs/gal. Besides, you tend to sweat out more than you take in anyway, so it's a net loss of weight. Since it's variable, I assumed we drop it.....now go weigh your bikes!
Quote Reply
Re: Post Your (Bike) Race Weight [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
I thought my bike was heavy at 20lbs (without liquids). Spesh Shiv. Wheels 60 front, 90 rear.

LOL at 5 lbs of liquids at an oly. I'm big and sweat a lot (same height and weight and build as Torbjørn Sindballe, and same problems with heat). One bottle is enough for an oly. Two for a cooler 70.3 Three for a hot 70.3. Do those folks not finish half the water? Or do they run to port-a-potties every few miles?

I know...my bike weighs a ton. But I get really good watts/mph. At the top of the graph at all speeds from the other thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Total Weight: 17.5lbs
Make/Model/Year: Cannondale Slice Hi Mod 2015
Wheels: Zipp Super 9 disc, Caden 60 front
Components: Mixture of Dura Ace, Ultegra, Microshift, SRAM
Modifications from stock: Compact crank, Microshift mechanical gear shifters (great) Ultegra medium cage RD with SRAM Red 22 cassette (11-32t)
Storage: Nil
Bottles (empty): Gorilla cages between aerobars and behind saddle
Spares: Nil

The setup is light and designed for a particularly hilly 70.3. I have not had a flat during a race in over 30 years so gamble on no spares to save weight. I am using a 32 tooth lightweight cassette for the first time but this is offset by the slightly heavier Ultegra medium cage RD. I intend to stay out of the red zone during the 15%+ climbs.

Extremely comfortable setup and feels very light and fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Post Your (Bike) Race Weight [monsrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Post Your (Bike) Race Weight [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is the SRAM XG-1190. Expensive but lightweight and does the job. I will probably put it on a road bike after the next race as I normally use the Dura Ace 9000 12-28t cassette for triathlons.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:

^^^^ if you care about weight, which you really shouldn't anyway, my bike with training tires and 3 bottles on it is shockingly heavy. The lightness of my bike is race trim, mentally, makes it feel faster.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Hello Swim_Bike_Rum and All,

Nytro built up my new ride about a month or so ago with a 2014 (new) frame. I was not able get time to finish it until this week (had it wrapped at professionally but then after seeing it started changing it) …. added the storage ….. and the front end modifications …… (the factory 'beard' fastening and fit were not looking good) ... Still a few more small items to go on a work in progress although I am riding it now and tweaking the saddle and pads. Rides and shifts nice. The hydraulic brakes are terrific .... although I have not had to maintain them yet ..........
T
The shift controller is temporarily taped to the right aero bar until I find the most comfortable way to arrange forefinger mount for thumb shifting …… where ever my right thumb might be located. Now that Shimano has Synchro shifting for the chain rings I am hoping that the next move forward will be eTap full front and rear cadence driven shifting and I can ditch the thumb button.

The new ride will replace my old trusty P3 that I have had for many years …the P3 weighs in at 18.53 lbs without pedals and but with a flat kit above the BB .... so the two bikes are almost identical in weight.

Total Weight: 18.37 lbs as shown in pic with a possible 170 gram reduction with a later saddle change … my older P3 as shown weighs almost exactly the same without pedals.

Make/Model/Year: 2014 Cervélo P5
Wheels: Enve 95 Rear DT Swiss hub …. Zipp 808 front DT Swiss hub Ceramic Conti tires Vittoria latex tubes and of course View-Speed Skewers ... but they are hard to see .......
Components: SRAM eTap Quark w/ Rotor Q-Rings 52/36 11/28 165mm cranks eTap Red comes with ceramic jockey wheels
Modifications from stock: Ceramic Speed BB
Storage: Custom and Torhans (modified)
Bottles (empty): not installed yet ….. will add XLab Between The Arms Torpedo or plain water bottle (add some grams) with XLab plain cage (add 26 grams)
Spares: not installed yet … 2 large CO2 carts (58g each) and inflation valve ….. multi tool/tire irons …. latex tube (73g) ….Total to be added about 220 g in custom Lexan storage area above the BB.

Our dog 'Blondie' is helping .......

With your Superman X-Ray vision you can see the tube stored in the upper storage area.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Post Your (Bike) Race Weight [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow...that's light. My bike is a tank. Geez.

I'm coming to the realization that my bike is more like the Millennium Falcon than the Batmobile. She's bulky, cobbled together with what is available, certainty not the best of anything, self wrenched by anything but an expert, and not near as slick as all the super bikes out there, but she's fast as shit. I got a KOM recently where my power was barely in the top ten. 25 watts lower than the second fastest and 43 watts lower than third, and on and on. You have to go to 7th place before you get a lower power and he was 2 mph slower. I'm not the lightest guy in the world either at 158.

Still though, you guys have some sweet rides. I can't say I'm not jealous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Total Weight: 19.5lbs
Make/Model/Year: 2012 Shiv (small) with Force/Rival
Wheels: Renn 575 disc and HED J9, both with 23c Conti Supersonics and latex tubes
Components: Force/Rival
Modifications from stock: Wahoo Speed cadence sensor and Garmin. Ozero basebar with 3T levers and Zipp Vuka Alumina ski bends (due to Spesh aerobar recall). Dash saddle. Halo bolt-on QR levers. DSW bento for 70.3+ nutrition.
Storage: Specialized Fuel Cell for flat kit storage (tube, micropump, patches, lever).
Bottles (empty): Xlab torpedo bottle upfront (or just use handup bottles in longer races)
Spares: Nope, just one tri bike ;P

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those folks pushing the higher watts are most likely on road bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a GCN video where either Wiggins' or Froome's TT bike weighed over 19 lbs. And that's UCI legal and with nothing else on it, best bikes on Earth. So my 21 lb. Trek is not bad.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Post Your (Bike) Race Weight [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think so. I know the second place guy wasn't. The other couple don't appear to be either. Their numbers aren't bad by any stretch. I did 25 mph on 248 watts (on a 16 mile loop course, so net zero elevation and wind). For 158 lb rider + 220z water bottle + 23.4 lb bike, that's pretty efficient. Looking at the watts per mph string, my numbers are near the top for all speeds and that includes much lighter riders. Heck, on easy days (like today) I'll hold over 19 mph average on less than 130watts. I'm telling you...she can do the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs.

ETA: had to adjust the numbers on the easy rides when I looked back.

Last edited by: Swim_Bike_Rum: Jul 8, 16 16:48
Quote Reply