Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Politicians who blame NRA for violence will 'pay a price'
Quote | Reply
We can only hope so.

http://thehill.com/...-if-they-suggest-nra

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Politicians who blame NRA for violence will 'pay a price' [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No they won't.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Politicians who blame NRA for violence will 'pay a price' [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some will, but I have a feeling those that are at risk (red state democrats), kept their mouths shut. Manchin is probably at risk. Fucker was pushing the universal background checks and ending ftf sales. He had a commercial of him shooting a "bill" meant to be obamacare while running for senate in West VA. He should know better. Toomey may also. See, idiots like to blame the NRA, but the NRA isn't some mystical force. People in red states love their guns and don't like politicians telling them what they can and can't have. I'm not a criminal, I don't use my guns illegally. Why shouldn't I be able to have guns I've had for years because some nutjob shoots up a bunch of people? The argument for most conservatives doesn't get more complicated than that.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Politicians who blame NRA for violence will 'pay a price' [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No one wants to take your guns, it should just not be simple to get a hold of them. That is what most folks want and the NRA is fighting. They basically do not want to give an inch.
Quote Reply
Re: Politicians who blame NRA for violence will 'pay a price' [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
No one wants to take your guns, it should just not be simple to get a hold of them. That is what most folks want and the NRA is fighting. They basically do not want to give an inch.

Tell that to the people of NY. Of course there are plenty who want your guns and they will never say that until they know they can get them.

To Forges point, I don't think it hurts reps who say they are fighting the NRA. The media narrative is too strong that the mean NRA forces congress to vote down gun laws. The reps blaming the NRA live in very blue big city districts where they would vote democrat even if they are convicted of drug charges.

The reality is 5 million people who are NRA members actually represent 20-50 million of people who always vote based on gun issues. People may not join the NRA, but still vote based on gun issues. Congress listens to large voting blocks.
Quote Reply
Re: Politicians who blame NRA for violence will 'pay a price' [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

People often make statements just like yours to try to make the gun owners seem irrational and fearful. There are many people who do want to see confiscation and are vocal about it. You are either ignorant of them or oblivious to them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

When governments make things harder to get (a-la licensing), they are just taking away your rights, and selling them back to you.

Unlawfully attaining a firearm would not be an insurmountable challenge for a deranged killer-to-be.
Last edited by: soulfresca: Jun 22, 16 21:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And people think I'm crazy. All you have to do is look at the predictable slippery slope California and New York followed to see why we won't give an inch. Perhaps you should read the threads were even I acknowledged that I don't want terrorist to have guns and put a very detailed explanation of the issues that would have to be addressed to make a workable system. Or maybe you should go through the process JSA and I have been going through for six months to get a suppressor which only silences a gun to 124 db at best. JSA was rejected because of a clerical error and may have to start the process over. If you think the NRA and its supporter will give an inch that means lawfully obtaining becomes a bureaucratic obstacle, you are nuts.

And if you don't think people want to take away our guns you are nuts. Four articles in the last week have called for second amendment repeal. Clinton has called for an Australia style confiscation. If the is that what you call giving an inch.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If you think the NRA and its supporter will give an inch that means lawfully obtaining becomes a bureaucratic obstacle, you are nuts.

If you think the NRA is a rational organization with the good of the American people and their rights primary in their thoughts, you are nuts.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Politicians who blame NRA for violence will 'pay a price' [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
If you think the NRA and its supporter will give an inch that means lawfully obtaining becomes a bureaucratic obstacle, you are nuts.

If you think the NRA is a rational organization with the good of the American people and their rights primary in their thoughts, you are nuts.

Well the NRA did support the Cornyn bill that just failed to pass the senate. The gun issue is now seen as a winning issue for dems, and even dems admit that it is better to get nothing now and have it as an issue for the fall. (also the reason dems are sitting around in the house to draw attn to the issue)
-
quickie on the bills that failed:
http://keranews.org/...sure-fails-us-senate
Last edited by: dave_w: Jun 23, 16 6:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They'll 'pay a price' by losing the support of people who already didn't support them. <Eyes rolling>
Quote Reply
Re: Politicians who blame NRA for violence will 'pay a price' [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Huh.

How would you characterize the NRA, then?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Politicians who blame NRA for violence will 'pay a price' [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Huh.

I think the NRA is a powerful political lobby with an extremely narrow focus on one issue with almost no regard for the consequences or side effects of their pet issue. This is not to say that every person who is a member of the NRA is a loon or anything, but the organization as a whole is questionable.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:

Give them an inch
They take a yard.
Give them a yard
They take a mile.
Once a man and twice a child
Everything is just for awhile.

Seems like total destruction
The only solution.
And there ain't no use
No one can stop them now….

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
I think the ____ is a powerful political lobby with an extremely narrow focus on one issue with almost no regard for the consequences or side effects of their pet issue. This is not to say that every person who is a member of the ____ is a loon or anything, but the organization as a whole is questionable.

As demonstrated, you can replace "NRA" in your statement with pretty much any political lobby and still be 100% accurate.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some politicians who continue to let the NRA make the rules will "pay a price."
Quote Reply
Re: Politicians who blame NRA for violence will 'pay a price' [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

Huh.

Hillarious!

"I really wish you would post more often. You always have some good stuff to say. I copied it below just in case someone missed it." BarryP to Chainpin on 10/21/06

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:

To your point, I own guns as I've previously stated. I'm pro gun. I am an independent. I am not an NRA member as I don't think they are rational.
Last edited by: Harbinger: Jun 23, 16 7:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I think the NRA is a powerful political lobby with an extremely narrow focus on one issue with almost no regard for the consequences or side effects of their pet issue.

Huh, again.

I disagree that they have no regard for the consequences or side effects. I think it's probably more accurate to say that you disagree with them to some degree about what the consequences and side effects of their positions are, or possibly about the best way to deal with those consequences and side effects.

They are a powerful political lobby. Their focus is narrow. I don't think that means they're irrational, or don't have the good of the American people and their rights in their thoughts.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

I think the NRA is a powerful political lobby with an extremely narrow focus on one issue with almost no regard for the consequences or side effects of their pet issue.

Huh, again.

I disagree that they have no regard for the consequences or side effects. I think it's probably more accurate to say that you disagree with them to some degree about what the consequences and side effects of their positions are, or possibly about the best way to deal with those consequences and side effects.

They are a powerful political lobby. Their focus is narrow. I don't think that means they're irrational, or don't have the good of the American people and their rights in their thoughts.

Why did they successfully lobby to have funding for research into gun violence slashed by 95% for the CDC?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Politicians who blame NRA for violence will 'pay a price' [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Why did they successfully lobby to have funding for research into gun violence slashed by 95% for the CDC?

I suspect based on some misguided notion that federally funded research into gun violence is biased. Or maybe they just figured we already have more research about gun violence than we can process. Or maybe they figure the federal government doesn't need to be paying for gun violence research when so many other entities already do so.

I happen to disagree with that position- largely because the CDC research and other objective information supports most of the NRA's claims. I'm sure I disagree with the NRA on a number of specific issues. That doesn't make them irrational, and it doesn't mean they aren't concerned with the rights and welfare of the American people.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

I suspect based on some misguided notion that federally funded research into gun violence is biased. Or maybe they just figured we already have more research about gun violence than we can process. Or maybe they figure the federal government doesn't need to be paying for gun violence research when so many other entities already do so.

I happen to disagree with that position- largely because the CDC research and other objective information supports most of the NRA's claims. I'm sure I disagree with the NRA on a number of specific issues. That doesn't make them irrational, and it doesn't mean they aren't concerned with the rights and welfare of the American people.

I'd be interested to hear what misguided notion it is that they used to justify not allowing research on gun violence, and making CDC funding dependent on the agency not being allowed to promote gun control.

I'd also be interested in what notion they used to justify, for instance, not allowing ATF to create digitized records, searchable by name. It's not like they're protecting gun owners, since their names are already on the records. They're just putting up barriers to administrative paperwork, since the ATF has to pore through paper records instead.

The NRA has some defensible positions. But they also have some downright ridiculous tactics and positions that clearly are there to protect the firearm industry, and thwart any type of negative characterization of firearms in this country.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I agree.

Rightly or wrongly, they are seen as having a lot of power and influence over elected officials. Given the current frustration over politics and the way things work in Washington, I don't think anyone standing up to the NRA now is going to pay a price at all. I think the Democrats recognise that and are taking advantage.

I do find it interesting that the sit-in is occurring after the shooting in Orlando. Why wasn't there the same action after 20 children were shot in Sandy Hook or after one of the other school shootings? Is it because it is another shooting and people are saying enough or is it because there is an election?
Quote Reply
Re: Politicians who blame NRA for violence will 'pay a price' [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Rightly or wrongly, they are seen as having a lot of power and influence over elected officials. Given the current frustration over politics and the way things work in Washington, I don't think anyone standing up to the NRA now is going to pay a price at all. I think the Democrats recognise that and are taking advantage.

I do find it interesting that the sit-in is occurring after the shooting in Orlando. Why wasn't there the same action after 20 children were shot in Sandy Hook or after one of the other school shootings? Is it because it is another shooting and people are saying enough or is it because there is an election?

I would guess it is more the recent shooting than the election year. I do remember a big push after Sandy Hook, I don't recall a sit-in taking place though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
vitus979 wrote:

I'd be interested to hear what misguided notion it is that they used to justify not allowing research on gun violence, and making CDC funding dependent on the agency not being allowed to promote gun control.

I'd also be interested in what notion they used to justify, for instance, not allowing ATF to create digitized records, searchable by name. It's not like they're protecting gun owners, since their names are already on the records. They're just putting up barriers to administrative paperwork, since the ATF has to pore through paper records instead.

The NRA has some defensible positions. But they also have some downright ridiculous tactics and positions that clearly are there to protect the firearm industry, and thwart any type of negative characterization of firearms in this country.

Search on the first point, and you'll find that the CDC is hardly unbiased. There is not supposed to be any national gun-owner registry. The instant background checks go into FBI databases and check for matching names.
Quote Reply

Prev Next