Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rules for the Reporting of Aero Tests [BikeTechReview] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BikeTechReview wrote:
it's helpful to also make sure the balance being used to generate data is not biased.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Quote Reply
Re: Rules for the Reporting of Aero Tests [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
The "Standard Bike" as a reference would be great but to start I think a Cervelo P5 should be included as well simply because so many bike numbers have been compared to that bike. It would also provide a (range) reference to those that have followed the bike vs P5 comparisons and begin to set up the "Standard Bikes'" numbers.
I disagree. Just one standard.
Once you start including exceptions you open the door for confusion and manipulation.
Besides, it should be utterly unnecessary. As long as the P5 is one of the bikes tested you can compare it's data with that for other bikes to your heart's content. That's the whole point - and doing it this way means the data may actually be trustworthy.
dkennison wrote:
...Wheels are a bit of an issue in that forks are designed to work with specific wheel profiles. If you use a "Zipp" type standard that may hurt the manufacturer that designs around a different profile. So - I would prefer that you use the wheel that is specified on the bike "as purchased". That poses a problem for those manufacturers that sell a nice bike with "training" wheels. /
Quote:
Sorry, I disagree with this too, although it is a trickier one. This kinda comes down to something I mentioned earlier about deciding at the outset what the objective here actually is. Is it to compare stock bikes? Is it to compare frames? Is it to test combinations of components? If the standard were to test a frame with the wheels provided, then which build? the same frame might be sold with several wheels. Next you've got tyre sizes and brands - this wheel is designed specifically for this tyre....Almost immediately you end up with a myriad of components that have to be non-standard for every test and the whole idea becomes pointless.
So, you can't accommodate every component permutation and where a synergy between components is intended that may not be reflected in standard testing. This is also where a standard test will potentially direct development paths. If the testing is done with certain components then these are the ones manufacturers will aim to optimise for.
Quote Reply
Re: Rules for the Reporting of Aero Tests [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Okay everyone (okay, especially the aero nerds), this is your chance to, perhaps, shape the industry a bit. If you had your way, how would you like to see aero tests conducted and reported?
  1. What protocols would you like to see?
  2. In what format would you like the results reported?
  3. Whether you're a consumer, or represent a manufacturer, what would level the playing field so everyone is playing by the same rules?
Here's the deal...we have an idea. ERO is uniquely positioned to access both velodrome testing (probably didn't need to be said), and the San Diego Wind Tunnel regularly, and offer manufacturers of all sizes the chance to test at substantially lowered costs. The testing will be completely independent (you might say, oh I don't know, "ERO Neutral" ;-) ). The results will belong to the manufacturers to do with what they want, but when they are made public, you'll be sure they're accurate and trustworthy.

What would you like to see?

There are a lot of concerns to address, which some have already posted (i.e. regarding weightings and reported units etc.) but if I were tasked with drafting a proper standard, I'd do my best to understand:
  • How companies/people "game" current tests (see SAE bHp, EPA mileage, etc., Emissions testing *cough* VW),
  • That regulations can influence development in unintended ways,
  • Language must be strict, clear, and unambiguous (shall, must, will...),
  • "Stakeholders" must find it attractive, or the standard will not be adopted.

There would have to be a cost for a certification of compliance, and records kept such that an interested party could challenge the results and even issue fiscal penalties along with retractions for faulty testing or falsification of results. Otherwise we're playing house here. The end users (consumers and companies alike) would have to trust that the standard is meaningful else it's like a degree from a for-profit school nobody respects.
Quote Reply
Re: Rules for the Reporting of Aero Tests [codygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
codygo wrote:
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Okay everyone (okay, especially the aero nerds), this is your chance to, perhaps, shape the industry a bit. If you had your way, how would you like to see aero tests conducted and reported?
  1. What protocols would you like to see?
  2. In what format would you like the results reported?
  3. Whether you're a consumer, or represent a manufacturer, what would level the playing field so everyone is playing by the same rules?
Here's the deal...we have an idea. ERO is uniquely positioned to access both velodrome testing (probably didn't need to be said), and the San Diego Wind Tunnel regularly, and offer manufacturers of all sizes the chance to test at substantially lowered costs. The testing will be completely independent (you might say, oh I don't know, "ERO Neutral" ;-) ). The results will belong to the manufacturers to do with what they want, but when they are made public, you'll be sure they're accurate and trustworthy.

What would you like to see?

There are a lot of concerns to address, which some have already posted (i.e. regarding weightings and reported units etc.) but if I were tasked with drafting a proper standard, I'd do my best to understand:
  • How companies/people "game" current tests (see SAE bHp, EPA mileage, etc., Emissions testing *cough* VW),
  • That regulations can influence development in unintended ways,
  • Language must be strict, clear, and unambiguous (shall, must, will...),
  • "Stakeholders" must find it attractive, or the standard will not be adopted.

There would have to be a cost for a certification of compliance, and records kept such that an interested party could challenge the results and even issue fiscal penalties along with retractions for faulty testing or falsification of results. Otherwise we're playing house here. The end users (consumers and companies alike) would have to trust that the standard is meaningful else it's like a degree from a for-profit school nobody respects.

I think my vision is a little less formal. We will have set protocols for testing and reporting, will certify our own independent results, and will expect the publication of those results to me made in a specific manner. What I believe will happen is consumers will be more trusting of such testing and demand it from the manufacturers. Should an industry-wide set of agreed upon protocols for testing and reporting come out of that, so be it. We will not stray from our goal of completely independent testing. In fact, one of our rules will be not allowing manufacturers to be present during testing. In fact, that's one of the ways they'll save the most money; no travel expenses.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim, your aero pledge signature makes me ask the question; what's the point of coming up with a standard if the test results can't be universally applied to athletes? A manufacturer could publish data using a protocol standard but their results mean diddly until I test it on myself. Just because a standalone component tests faster than its competitor, we don't really know how it interacts in the complete setup. Too many variables, not enough $$ and time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One additon: test, using two different speeds. Remember how the p-09 helmet performs faster (and differently) with "plug in" at a certain speed? Because, that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Cervelo have a P2K bike (with its own special case) for testing all their bikes against.

As Cervelo pretty much started the aero bike market, how about using their P2K as the benchmark? All bikes should be tested against a standardized bike and wheel combo, and use the standardized wheel, with and without a standardized mannequin. In an ideal world, there would be static and dynamic tests (mannequin). Rolling road becomes another issue, but for standard testingThey should be tested at standard wind speed and yaw angles. Since bikes aren't completely symmetrical, (+) and (-) yaw angles should be tested. Weighted average for performance should all use the same weighting calc.

All wheels should be tested on the same identical bike, and should be tested at standard wind speed and yaw angles. Weighted average for performance should all use the same weighting calc, preferably the same as for bikes. Mannequin can be static and/or dynamic as for bikes testing

Items like helmets should be.....wait for it.....tested at standard wind speed and yaw angles. Weighted average for performance should all use the same weighting calc, preferably the same as for bikes.

Standardization is the first hurdle, deciding what the standards should be is hurdle 2 and relevance to real world is the final step. There is a sweet spot of cost/repeatability/validity etc. The current ad hoc testing isn't very useful to us consumers, but ideal testing could end up being cost prohibitive.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Rules for the Reporting of Aero Tests [CDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is exactly what I was thinking. Something testing faster than something else and that being applied across the board for many different riders at many different speeds is a claim that is virtually impossible to validate. That makes the claim useless.
Quote Reply
Re: Rules for the Reporting of Aero Tests [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackCapets wrote:
This is why time savings over 40km or CdA savings would be preferable. Reporting drag savings in units of power is annoying.

Reporting in power is annoying, but it's basically the exact same problem as "time savings over 40km", it's relative.

I would like to see testing done at the speed an athlete actually buying the thing races at.
Quote Reply
Re: Rules for the Reporting of Aero Tests [chris948] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ehhhh, not really. Time saved over 40km applies almost universally, while drag power saved is definitely different for riders of different speeds. 5W saved at 30mph is less at 20mph, but 10sec/40km saved at 50km/hr is essentially the same as at 35 km/hr.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim,

I'd really appreciate if we could back up a bit to assess the benefits of in-velodrome vs wind tunnel testing.

i.e. what does one give that the other doesn't.

If this information is already out there, I am happy for a link to teach me.

Thanks for your help. I always appreciate your posts.

Randolph
Quote Reply
Re: Rules for the Reporting of Aero Tests [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackCapets wrote:
but 10sec/40km saved at 50km/hr is essentially the same as at 35 km/hr.

When you double the velocity, drag increases fourfold. That seems highly unlikely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chris948 wrote:
ZackCapets wrote:

When you double the velocity, drag increases fourfold. That seems highly unlikely.
When you ride 40km at 35kph instead of 50kph, you have a longer time period in which a smaller reduction in resistance (either expressed as a percentage or as absolute required power) can and does yield a greater absolute time saving.
e.g 28.8sec off 48 minutes is 1% faster, a mere 0.8% off 1:08:34 would be a saving of 33 seconds. Cervelo website has some fully worked examples?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when you half the velocity, the time savings increase

chris948 wrote:
ZackCapets wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cant speak to the specific engineering requirements of aero testing for bikes.

I do know a little about setting global standards for performance testing for an entire industry. I suspect that the difference between setting an international industry standard which is a mandatory requirement for businesses if their country is a signatory to a set of international regulations, and your own proposal, is that there is no means of compelling companies to work to a standard that they know may not benefit them.

I would think that the minimum standard or proposed standards are set out as a white paper for an industry wide user group to consult upon, that the proposals allow for both self certification and for you to conduct testing on companies behalf. This is subject to audit and verification but the signatories are not compelled to use you.

I think there are two different issues at work here. the first is setting a standard that can be accepted and adopted. The second is offering a deal as an independent test house.

The former requires consultation with stake holders. The second is simply a deal that you can offer people.

One should not be a prerequisite for the other. International standards are divorced from specific providers such as independent test houses, but well respected independent testers have solid businesses because they are respected for their independence.

I would think it would benefit the industry to work towards adopting a standard, but given that they can not agree on disc brakes, bottom brackets in terms of setting a standard, and certain manufacturers are so obtuse with respect to their wind tunnel testing results I would not hold my breath waiting for a standard thats accepted to be forthcoming
Quote Reply

Prev Next