Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Adoption? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Hate to be an "activist" here but to be more clear in the future use the terms "birth parents" or "bio parents" (birth mom, birth dad, etc.) for the people who donated egg, sperm and womb.

"Mom", "dad", "parents", etc. are terms for the people who adopted and raised the kids. Sometimes "adoptive parents" is used but it's kind of grating to my ears.

Again, I'm no activist and I take no offense to those who use the "wrong" terminology. Just giving you a heads up.

Believe me, there are some nutty adoption activist out there just waiting to be offended.

I agree. I would never use the word 'mom' to describe the woman who gave birth to me. I usually refer to her as, well that, 'the woman who gave birth to me'. If someone asks say, 'is your mom alive' I redirect the topic or when pressed say 'I don't have a mom' and move on. I would NEVER refer to her as my mom.

As further amplication, she is still alive. To this day, I refuse to visit the city where she lives. I won't even drive through it.
Quote Reply
Re: Adoption? [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Hate to be an "activist" here but to be more clear in the future use the terms "birth parents" or "bio parents" (birth mom, birth dad, etc.) for the people who donated egg, sperm and womb.

"Mom", "dad", "parents", etc. are terms for the people who adopted and raised the kids. Sometimes "adoptive parents" is used but it's kind of grating to my ears.

Again, I'm no activist and I take no offense to those who use the "wrong" terminology. Just giving you a heads up.

Believe me, there are some nutty adoption activist out there just waiting to be offended.

I agree. I would never use the word 'mom' to describe the woman who gave birth to me. I usually refer to her as, well that, 'the woman who gave birth to me'. If someone asks say, 'is your mom alive' I redirect the topic or when pressed say 'I don't have a mom' and move on. I would NEVER refer to her as my mom.

As further amplication, she is still alive. To this day, I refuse to visit the city where she lives. I won't even drive through it.

Obviously there's some history there. I hope someday you can gain something from it or move passed it. I have my own demons I'm dealing with regarding my real mom (the one who adopted me).

PM me if you need to get thing off your chest.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We're just waiting for his handlers in the Kremlin to turn on the chip....

Not to worry you...but if he's that normal they already have :-)

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Adoption? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
We're just waiting for his handlers in the Kremlin to turn on the chip....

Not to worry you...but if he's that normal they already have :-)

~Matt

That's precisely the reason I'm worried. The 'programming' is too good…

The chip probably messes with his vision and that's why he's color blind. Hopefully the EnChroma glasses will put a wrench in Putin's plans...

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

When you go searching you might never be prepared for what you find.

My mom was an orphan growing up, never adopted. Never had any family of her own. In her 40s she finally decided to look for her birth mom. Found the address she lived at then stopped. Couldn't bring herself to contact her.

Fast forward 20 years and she started searching again. As it turns out, someone in her family is a serious geneology guy. My mom has been connected with her brother, many cousins and Aunts/Uncles. Only two people in the family knew that she even existed.

Anyway, hers is definitely a good news story. Her family has completely embraced her and our family as one of their own. I have met a few of them. Apparently I am the spitting image of one of her cousins when he was young. I have only seen photos of him now (old, fat). I can see some similarities. It's been interesting for me because I never felt like I look like any of my siblings. I look most like my mom but I certainly don't look a lot like her.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Adoption? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I've met my bio family. Without getting into specifics, not everything about them is love and peaches but I can get passed it. Let's just say they me a huge favor by choosing not to raise me.

We're on friendly Facebook terms and that's about it. I have a half brother that seemingly want absolutely nothing to do with me which is fine.

My sister met her birth parents and on the maternal side it's all pretty good but her birth father is a complete ass. He won't even acknowledge her existence (50 years later!). I think he's about dead at this point anyway.

My brother found his birth parents and they tried to scam him out of money. It was his actual bio-parents and not people posing as them in some kind of scam. His birth parents tried to scam him…

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't make the impact go away. So very many attributes of my personality, my attitude of what I will accept and what I won't can be traced back to that time period.

I highly recommend psychological counseling for the child, especially when they get older. One of the best coping mechanisms my psychologists told me was to separate my life into 2 stages.

First thanks for sharing things from the other side.

What you state above is something I wish someone, anyone, would have said to us when our daughter was young. We were young, first time parents taking on a child from with in the family. Hell we were still planning our wedding when we got involved in the process.

We went about attempting to raise her as if she was our child, without the knowledge you give above. From our perspective, we were the parents, from hers we were as well, but nothing we could do would ever fill that hole and we had very little idea that hole even existed.

At the younger ages what we saw as "Typical kid stuff" wasn't necessarily that at all. It wasn't until things really started to spin out of control as she got older that we sought professional help for her, us and the entire family, by that point we had missed a whole lot of opportunity to get her the coping mechanisms and tools she needed.

To this day I feel that had we started with professional help at a much younger age we would have had a much better experience with much better outcomes, for her and us.

For the most part I don't think we as humans are very well equipped to deal with being parents when emotional conditions of the child are not fairly close to the norm. Abandonment of a child is about as far from the norm as we can possibly get for the human species. Most parents can certainly use help when trying to help a child cope and get thru these types of issues.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Yeah, I've met my bio family. Without getting into specifics, not everything about them is love and peaches but I can get passed it. Let's just say they me a huge favor by choosing not to raise me.

We're on friendly Facebook terms and that's about it. I have a half brother that seemingly want absolutely nothing to do with me which is fine.

My sister met her birth parents and on the maternal side it's all pretty good but her birth father is a complete ass. He won't even acknowledge her existence (50 years later!). I think he's about dead at this point anyway.

My brother found his birth parents and they tried to scam him out of money. It was his actual bio-parents and not people posing as them in some kind of scam. His birth parents tried to scam him…

Similar here. I have (full) siblings that I haven't seen or spoken to in several decades. They are strangers to me. I've got half siblings I haven't seen or spoken to in 40 years. My adult children never met them. As a coping mechanism I closed off virtually all contact with my family.

OTOH, we are all very close to my wife's family. They are very nurturing and good people.

Life can be fucked up sometimes. So those adopting, take these small windows of insight into the struggles of adopted children and orphans into consideration. Thank you for adopting, loving and caring for those children, but understand their will still be issues, many of which you will not necessarily understand.
Last edited by: Harbinger: May 5, 16 7:47
Quote Reply
Re: Adoption? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:

We went about attempting to raise her as if she was our child, without the knowledge you give above. From our perspective, we were the parents, from hers we were as well, but nothing we could do would ever fill that hole and we had very little idea that hole even existed.

Of course you didn't. You loved, nurtured and cared for her. You thought that was enough. Except you didn't know what you didn't know. You didn't know how big of a hole abandonment creates. What you needed was professional assistance but you didn't know that then.

Consider that moment from the Steve Jobs movie. He fortunately, was adopted by parents who loved and nurtured him. He loved them. Yet throughout his entire life he had a question that haunted him. "What could a one month old baby do that was so terrible that they returned him?". That was somewhat of a façade because he also had to deal with being put up for adoption twice in the first month of his life. There is no magic answer anyone could have given him that would have made that OK. More importantly, simply made it go away. You just can't.

What he needed, what I needed, what your daughter needed, was a way to cope with it all. Abandonment is a difficult emotion to wrestle with. I can't resolve it. I had to learn to 'wall it off'. To say to myself, 'I was not responsible for those events, I was a small child'. So I separate that. I am responsible for my adult decisions. I am responsible for my family (descendants). I will not repeat that pattern of behavior. I will have the relationship with my children that I wanted/needed when I was a child. That is how I cope. But I do know of many that never found a productive way of coping.
Last edited by: Harbinger: May 5, 16 8:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I talk to my wife sometimes about things that may come up with our son that she'll never understand.

I guess I'm lucky, as a parent of an adopted child, being also adopted myself.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

Another point is that even with young children and infants, you may still have behavioral and developmental issues. If an infant is removed from his or her parents, there's a good chance that the parents are addicts, which also means that there's a good chance the mother was using when pregnant. If it's not drugs, or even if it is, there's also a good chance that one or both birth parents have some form of serious mental illness.

I write this reluctantly. I had skipped over the post topic for 2 days because I didn't want to see what might be in it. I don't share this information with, well, anyone. Maybe a handful of people throughout my life know. The blow by blow of the backstory is irrelevant. I am not going to pick at that scab. But Alan stated something that resonates to this day within me so I want to explain something from the other side of adoption. I was an orphan. I lived in an orphanage. Yeah, they don't call them that today, but that is what they are. A place where they place kids whose parents don't want them anymore or can't take care of them any longer. Mine was a combination of both.

I survived. Somehow, I survived my childhood. I am a credentialed professional. Fairly wealthy. Live in a home worth 7 figures with a picturesque view of a lake. 40+ year stable marriage. My children have advanced education degrees and are doing well in life. But what you see is not the full story. I was an orphan and 60 years later, it still haunts me and creates those issues. Primarily, feelings of abandonment, of unworthiness of love. I still fight those internal battles. Not as often. Not daily. Not weekly. But not infrequently. For instance, I happened to watch the movie Steve Jobs. There is a moment where he is talking to John Sculley about being adopted and returned at 1 month old. He asks "what could a one year old do that was so bad that they returned me to the agency". That probably meant little to most viewers. To me, it sent me right back into the abandonment abyss. How can something so long ago still impact me so hard today?

You can't make the impact go away. So very many attributes of my personality, my attitude of what I will accept and what I won't can be traced back to that time period. I cannot imagine a child having been adopted NOT having behavior and developmental issues. There is a hole in them. One that can't be filled, only barricaded off and caution lights erected around so that you don't fall back into it. Oh, and a safety rope so you can climb out when you do fall back in.

Oddly, 2 of my best friends, long, long time friends, have a shared experience. One was adopted as an infant. The other was placed in an orphanage because his parents were too poor to feed him. Both have survived and are successful by all outward appearances. Both struggle, as I do, with the black hole of abandonment.

So be smart. Understand you can't gloss over this for the child you are adopting. I highly recommend psychological counseling for the child, especially when they get older. One of the best coping mechanisms my psychologists told me was to separate my life into 2 stages. The first being the stage where I did not have control (childhood and youth) and the 2nd being the stage where I did/do have control (adulthood). That I am not responsible for the decisions made and actions taken in the first, but I am for the 2nd. I use this thought to climb out of that black hole when somehow I fall back into it, like an unexpected moment in a movie that triggers it.

This. Exactly this. Couldn't have said it better myself. Bottom line is that you can't expect to parent the way you might a bio-child.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I talk to my wife sometimes about things that may come up with our son that she'll never understand.

I guess I'm lucky, as a parent of an adopted child, being also adopted myself.

Agreed. I have explained the 'whys' to my wife and she hears but I don't think she really understands, despite her best attempts. She grew up in a Ozzie/Harriet family structure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:

You can't make the impact go away. So very many attributes of my personality, my attitude of what I will accept and what I won't can be traced back to that time period. I cannot imagine a child having been adopted NOT having behavior and developmental issues. There is a hole in them. One that can't be filled, only barricaded off and caution lights erected around so that you don't fall back into it. Oh, and a safety rope so you can climb out when you do fall back in.

Thank you for sharing that. As a psychologist, I intellectually "knew" these issues when we started fostering and then adopted, but I guess my heart didn't fully grasp the magnitude of the loss associated with abandonment by one's biological parents until I saw the depth of the hole and the strength of the longing. As a foster or adoptive parent, you feel like the love and care you are pouring into this child should make up for all the bad things and it's hard not to take it personally when it doesn't -- even if you know better. I understand it better now, as much as it can be understood by someone who hasn't lived through it, but definitely always appreciate the input from someone who has experienced it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I wasn't adopted and was raised in a relatively normal family. So understanding what it's like to have been adopted doesn't come to me naturally and is something where I have to make an effort to get. It's sometimes easy to assume my adopted child's experiences are similar to my other children's. And that's probably true the vast majority of the time, but it isn't always true. Her birth mom is still in her life -- she sends presents from time to time, letters, and we allow a visit once a year or so. So there is some understanding that her birth mother cares deeply for her, even a potential understanding that she allowed the adoption to proceed precisely out of that love. But my daughter also asks about her birth dad from time to time, and he's not someone I will allow in her life at this time.

We have meet with a counselor and have discussed how to spot and deal with issues that arise. And while we're optimistic, we also recognize that she may have a greater propensity to mental illness to the extent that's inheritable.

You're right that adopted children face different issues. Those issues are not insurmountable, but they're something adoptive parents need to be aware of and prepared for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Thank you.

For what you do.

You do what most never will (including myself).

Thank you.

Thank you for the kind words. They made me tear up, especially so close to Mother's Day, and I kind of had to sit on it for day. Thanks aren't necessary -- we did it to make a difference for a child and I think we've done that -- but I appreciate the acknowledgment. You've done much the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Adoption? [HeidiC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HeidiC wrote:
Thanks aren't necessary...

I (somehow) know that you honestly mean that. That is part of the reason you are so deserving of thanks.

You do what you're doing because that's what you do. I get it. That's why I can never thank you enough.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for sharing your experience. I think this is very important as it gives me (us) some insight into what could be going on in our adoptive child's mind.
I really appreciate everyone's input. Heck, I'm impressed that even Duffy can talk about serious stuff for a few lines ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Adoption? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll post just to give a different view. I was adopted as a baby (1 week) and have never felt a "hole" or felt like I was abandoned. Quite the opposite, my parents often told me (and my brother who was adopted from a different area) that they chose us because they knew we were the ones for them. Honestly, the idea of abandonment never crossed my mind until this thread. I never had any issues growing up that could be associated with my adoption and very rarely ever think of it except to smile when people say I look like my mom or ask if my dad is tall (I'm a 6'1" woman.) And now that my mom is in memory care with severe dementia, nothing can make me smile like walking into the room and having her say "there's my beautiful daughter." I know my story is unusual, and I was very fortunate, but t wanted to point out that not ALL adopted children have a hole in their lives.

For those that had much harder roads, I'm very sorry and hope you all find happiness.
Quote Reply
Re: Adoption? [LoDewey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was adopted as a baby (1 week) and have never felt a "hole" or felt like I was abandoned.

I think timing of adoption makes a HUGE difference. My understanding and walk away from counseling and therapy is that there is a whole lot of "Hard wiring" that takes place in the early years. If that does not take place, something that can happen even when you're with the birth parents under certain conditions, there are very long term effects of that that are often negative.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I'm impressed that even Duffy can talk about serious stuff for a few lines ;-)

Ah, Duffy. I have no issue with his sense of humor. I take it as a defense mechanism. I think much of his razzing, sarcasm, humor are likely his technique for coping. Sometimes, mine too.

I respect greatly that as an adoptee he is also an adoptor. That is not normal. I couldn't. The pain would be overwhelming. So while he will say he doesn't need big props for being and adoptor, yeah, as an adoptee he needs all he can get. Big, big props to you Duffy. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Thank you for sharing your experience. I think this is very important as it gives me (us) some insight into what could be going on in our adoptive child's mind.

When I say that the 'feelings' are not infrequent, let me also say they are not planned. They may be years apart. They arrive when something triggers them. Like the Steve Jobs movie.

I watched the Ron Howard movie Cinderalla Man, once. Never, ever again. Holy crap. There was a scene where they take their kids to an orphanage to give them up because they couldn't feed them. I was at a movie theater with my family. I had to get up and walk out because I was crying. I was in my 50's and yet suddenly I was 4 years old again. Afterwards, I explained to my children that I can never watch that movie again because it was too real.

A decade or so ago we had dinner at Cracker Barrel restaurant. No big deal. But I was killing time, waiting while my wife used the restroom, looking at the eclectic crap they sell there. I froze. There was the little trinket toy I got at Xmas in the orphanage when I was 4. Back came the memories of Xmas, alone in an orphanage. Not good. Not good at all. I have never eaten at Cracker Barrel since.

For many years, my wife bought toys at Xmas and donated them to the Toys for Tots program. I encouraged her. But I couldn't help her. I couldn't shop for the toys. Then one year we volunteered at the Ronald McDonald House and when Xmas rolled around they had all these toys for the kids. I struggled. My psychologist had me physically pick up toy after toy, hold it, feel it. That worked. I can now help.

This is the 'abyss' I refer to. It is not a good place. I have to avoid it. I am struggling writing about it, but think helping those wonderful people who have adopted children gain a scintilla of understanding that they need to teach how to cope, not how to forget, nor how to ignore, trumps my discomfort. Get them the professional help to learn how to cope.

That is all. No more for me on this topic. I think I will get a beer, go sit on the dock, and watch the sun set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lost my dad unexpectedly less than 2 years ago. He was healthy but 84. Just didn't wake up. Every so often I'll watch something that will make me think of him, or hear something or whatever and I'll tear up. Really fast.
But this is something that we all anticipate at some stage. The feelings you get are much deeper so I'm sure no matter how I try I can't come close to how you felt. But duly noted nonetheless. Professional help is on our list. Once again, thank you and everyone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I lost my dad unexpectedly less than 2 years ago. He was healthy but 84. Just didn't wake up. Every so often I'll watch something that will make me think of him, or hear something or whatever and I'll tear up. Really fast.
But this is something that we all anticipate at some stage. The feelings you get are much deeper so I'm sure no matter how I try I can't come close to how you felt. But duly noted nonetheless. Professional help is on our list. Once again, thank you and everyone else.

This is a good thread. Good luck to all on your different journeys. You are doing wonderful things and will continue to do wonderful things regardless of who is in the White House.
Quote Reply
Re: Adoption? [LoDewey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LoDewey wrote:
I'll post just to give a different view. I was adopted as a baby (1 week) and have never felt a "hole" or felt like I was abandoned. Quite the opposite, my parents often told me (and my brother who was adopted from a different area) that they chose us because they knew we were the ones for them. Honestly, the idea of abandonment never crossed my mind until this thread. I never had any issues growing up that could be associated with my adoption and very rarely ever think of it except to smile when people say I look like my mom or ask if my dad is tall (I'm a 6'1" woman.) And now that my mom is in memory care with severe dementia, nothing can make me smile like walking into the room and having her say "there's my beautiful daughter." I know my story is unusual, and I was very fortunate, but t wanted to point out that not ALL adopted children have a hole in their lives.

For those that had much harder roads, I'm very sorry and hope you all find happiness.

That's generally my experience as well (as someone who was adopted). I sought out my birth parents mainly out of curiosity. It was (parts of) their story that opened up some weirdness.

My dad died when I was 19 so maybe I was trying to fill that hole...

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Adoption? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are things more important indeed...
Quote Reply

Prev Next