Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are DISCS faster than a well-designed DEEP carbon wheel? By how much? [codygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
codygo wrote:
I work with rolling road wind tunnels in my career, and the balance concern is addressed in my post.

Tom, real world testing as you say just has too much variation. It could be a poor man's version, but if funding is a non issue, I'd test in a rolling road tunnel for confidence in wind conditions and consistent crr

How good "real world" testing is depends on how you do it. Is THIS good enough? :-)
http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/...ng-chung-method.html

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Are DISCS faster than a well-designed DEEP carbon wheel? By how much? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disk sounds better :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Are DISCS faster than a well-designed DEEP carbon wheel? By how much? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
IIRC

You aren't RC.

=================
Kraig Willett
http://www.biketechreview.com - check out our reduced report pricing
=================
Quote Reply
Re: Are DISCS faster than a well-designed DEEP carbon wheel? By how much? [codygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
codygo wrote:
I work with rolling road wind tunnels in my career, and the balance concern is addressed in my post.

Tom, real world testing as you say just has too much variation. It could be a poor man's version, but if funding is a non issue, I'd test in a rolling road tunnel for confidence in wind conditions and consistent crr

So you just want to use the powermeter to measure drag? It will get tricky to make sure that the rider is not moving left or right and more importantly if the rider is moving forward or backwards. Moving slowly backwards is going to lower the drag and the opposite for moving forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To take your point further, I've hypothesized that a wider disc will better aid in re-attaching turbulent flow. Maybe also do something like what Cannondale has done with its "Ai" for 142 rear axles that way you could get the toroidal profile on both sides. You might only be talking about "a watt" with these sorts of changes but most of the low-hanging fruit is gone for the manufacturers.

In addition to these changes you could drop the bottom bracket more. This isn't really practical though as you have to build your molds around a maximum probable crank length. For someone like myself, however, on 165s I'd like to drop my BB at least 1cm if not 2cm since it's not like I'm pedaling through corners all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Are DISCS faster than a well-designed DEEP carbon wheel? By how much? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Luckily bikes can measure their own velocity easily. Since the wind speed and angle are controlled, slight variations in rider velocity should be minimal and accounted for. Sessions are usually recorded as well, so the state of the rider & tunnel system should be fairly well defined.

Similarly, rider stability and slight roll compensation for side gusts are things that are not addressed at the moment: i.e. what good is having "low drag" at XX+ degrees of yaw if the rider can't handle it?

Current methods and balances are fine, but validating a complete power demand including power to spin, and power cost of lateral tire loading / leaning seem to be missing from publicly disclosed information at least.
Quote Reply
Re: Are DISCS faster than a well-designed DEEP carbon wheel? By how much? [BikeTechReview] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BikeTechReview wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
IIRC

You aren't RC.

Ok then, how is the rolling resistance force accounted for when using a roller drive?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It isn't, it doesn't have to be.

The roller apparatus sits on the load cell, not next to it.
The load cell measures where the aero drag vector acts on the spinning wheel (in isolation).
From there it's trivial to back-calculate the true longitudinal force acting on the wheel hub and compare it to the measured aero drag scalar value.
The difference gives you 'the torque to spin", and thus 'the power to spin'.

All of this was discussed and finalized what, 6 years ago?
Quote Reply
Re: Are DISCS faster than a well-designed DEEP carbon wheel? By how much? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I can say, is that anecdotally with a disc, on fast long descents I am easily re-catching guys who have put 3-400m into me within a couple of kilometres... on bikes with deep rims (and aero helmets). Now this could be that a lot of triathletes can't descend for sh!t, but this is on long straight roads too. Maybe it's a combination of the two....

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Are DISCS faster than a well-designed DEEP carbon wheel? By how much? [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:
It isn't, it doesn't have to be.

The roller apparatus sits on the load cell, not next to it.
The load cell measures where the aero drag vector acts on the spinning wheel (in isolation).
From there it's trivial to back-calculate the true longitudinal force acting on the wheel hub and compare it to the measured aero drag scalar value.
The difference gives you 'the torque to spin", and thus 'the power to spin'.

All of this was discussed and finalized what, 6 years ago?

I'm not following. Isn't part of that "torque to spin" being used to overcome the tire rolling resistance? Eliminating that would require a hub motor, no?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would certainly think so

Kind of a "reverse" example: I got P1s a couple of months ago. Sometimes I put my bike on my computrainer with a wheel that has a GP4000S II and sometimes I take the time to switch out the rear wheel for a wheel with a continental home trainer tire. The difference between the power my P1s "see" and what the computrainer "sees" increases by about 12w with the home trainer tire.

That said, if you're using the same tire between testing say a 90 and a disc, that variable should be constant. So even if you're absolute measurement is off the relative comparison is still valid though you'd have to finely control air pressure, tire temperature (give it some time to reach equilibrium), and clamping load.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

I'm not following. Isn't part of that "torque to spin" being used to overcome the tire rolling resistance? Eliminating that would require a hub motor, no?
Ahh, I get the ambiguous phrasing now, and how that messes with the discussion. The "power/torque to spin" the wheel in the tunnel, on the load cell platform is not of interest here. That "drive power" is only there to make the wheel spin at the exact rotational speed to match the air stream velocity.

No, the property of interest is the aero drag vector location, direction and magnitude of the spinning wheel. This is measured by the 6-axis load cell (via a transformation matrix), but only if the wheel is by itself in the tunnel.
Now do a basic free body torque equilibrium study of the wheel as it pivots around the contact patch. This is where most folks get confused, me thinks... The wheel does NOT rotate around the hub axle, it rotates around the contact patch/point. Anyone wants to argue different should think about it until they get it...
Anyway, the torque equilibrium equation gives you the required horizontal force at the hub, which is
1. what is resisting forward motion
2. NOT equal to the measured horizontal force at the hub by the x-component of the load cell.
Last edited by: Nicko: May 5, 16 11:18
Quote Reply
Re: Are DISCS faster than a well-designed DEEP carbon wheel? By how much? [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Ahh, I get the ambiguous phrasing now, and how that messes with the discussion. The "power/torque to spin" the wheel in the tunnel, on the load cell platform is not of interest here. That "drive power" is only there to make the wheel spin at the exact rotational speed to match the air stream velocity.

No, the property of interest is the aero drag vector location, direction and magnitude of the spinning wheel. This is measured by the 6-axis load cell (via a transformation matrix), but only if the wheel is by itself in the tunnel.
Now do a basic free body torque equilibrium study of the wheel as it pivots around the contact patch. This is where most folks get confused, me thinks... The wheel does NOT rotate around the hub axle, it rotates around the contact patch/point. Anyone wants to argue different should think about it until they get it...
Anyway, the torque equilibrium equation gives you the required horizontal force at the hub, which is
2. NOT equal to the measured horizontal force at the hub by the x-component of the load cell.

While the load cell does mean you are not dependant on measuring motor torque, I think you are still being affected by rolling resistance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
codygo wrote:

How good "real world" testing is depends on how you do it. Is THIS good enough? :-)

Using a wind tunnel has the advantage of being able to control yaw. The chung method is more difficult if you want to know drag at exactly 10 degrees of yaw.
Quote Reply
Re: Are DISCS faster than a well-designed DEEP carbon wheel? By how much? [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
codygo wrote:

Using a wind tunnel has the advantage of being able to control yaw. The chung method is more difficult if you want to know drag at exactly 10 degrees of yaw.

Not necessarily with an Aerostick :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then you didn't get it...

It's very difficult to explain lines of reasoning over the internet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:
Then you didn't get it...

It's very difficult to explain lines of reasoning over the internet.

I think I understood. Draw the free body diagram. The higher the rolling resistance requires a higher torque, which results in a higher horizontal force that the hub will resist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The roller and motor is 'inside' the free body. It can not show up any equations...
The free body is the entire platform and everything mounted to it.
The only forces acting on it is the aero pressure distribution and the reaction on/from the load cell. Now apply equilibrium conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

OK...I see what you're saying...however, in that torque equilibrium, how are you handling the roller force at the contact patch? A single force through the contact patch (and thus not contributing a torque)?

If the wheel is stationary, then the resultant force is through the center of the contact patch...BUT, if the wheel is rolling (being driven by the drum), then the resultant force is offset from the center and contributes a "retarding" torque due to the hysteretic losses in the tire and tube in the contact patch. In fact, that's basically what "rolling resistance" is...a retarding torque due to unequal resultant forces in the leading and trailing halves of the contact patch.

If that's not taken into account in the analysis you describe, then yes, the tire Crr is being included in the result.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:
The roller and motor is 'inside' the free body. It can not show up any equations...
The only forces acting on it is the aero pressure distribution and the reaction on/from the load cell. Now apply equilibrium conditions.

Wait...didn't you say to do the free-body torque equilibrium around the contact patch? How can the motor and roller be inside the free body then?

Last edited by: Tom A.: May 5, 16 12:38
Quote Reply
Re: Are DISCS faster than a well-designed DEEP carbon wheel? By how much? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I will go on to say that this is one of the dumber arguments that pops up on this forum every 6 months. If deep section wheels were faster, and disc wheels were just a gimmick, then you sure the hell wouldn't see the ProTour teams riding non-sponsor correct disc wheels, or all the hour record and track guys riding double discs.

+1

Why do STer's like to reinvent the wheel (pun intended)? And, I feel like Kiley asked a trolling question, since this question has been answered every time a pro cyclist or pro triathlete (non-DL, non-Kona) takes to the start.

I'll just leave this link right here and you all can debate her position, her wheel choice, if she's 5'4" or 120lbs, her CdA, etc etc.

And I'll keep riding the same wheel setup she uses.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: May 5, 16 17:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Nicko wrote:

Wait...didn't you say to do the free-body torque equilibrium around the contact patch? How can the motor and roller be inside the free body then?
Ummm...

First figure out the aero drag vector location, direction, magnitude, using the 6-axis load cell. The free body (#1) here is the entire platform and everything mounted to it (after proper tare, of course).

Then use said vector in the free body (#2) that is the wheel rolling down the road. That free body (#2) has the aero drag vector and the front fork mount horizontal force as external forces and has the contact patch/point as reference for the torque equilibrium.

Trivial ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Nicko wrote:

Ummm...

First figure out the aero drag vector location, direction, magnitude, using the 6-axis load cell. The free body (#1) here is the entire platform and everything mounted to it (after proper tare, of course).

Then use said vector in the free body (#2) that is the wheel rolling down the road. That free body (#2) has the aero drag vector and the front fork mount horizontal force as external forces and has the contact patch/point as reference for the torque equilibrium.

Trivial ;-)

Again, in FB #2, I think you're missing the force acting on the wheel which is offset from the contact patch - hub centerline and is caused by rolling resistance of the tire/tube.

You may need to create a picture for us :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The vertical force from the tire interaction with the road is superimposed with the whole aero drag stuff we're discussing here.
Not forgotten and an order of magnitude more demanding... but not correlated.

Edit for clarity: the vertical force would create another horizontal force at the front fork mount. Add the bearing friction. They all belong in free body #3. Superimpose.

BTW, if one wants to measure the "power to spin" in the tunnel with the roller motor (or even better, the motors reaction torque), one would of course apply the minimum tire loading possible, just shy of it slipping. My WAG is that the load would be <1% of the typical "road load". So maybe insignificant/in the noise in relation to the aero drag?
Last edited by: Nicko: May 5, 16 15:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:
The vertical force from the tire interaction with the road is superimposed with the whole aero drag stuff we're discussing here.
Not forgotten and an order of magnitude more demanding... but not correlated.

Edit for clarity: the vertical force would create another horizontal force at the front fork mount. Add the bearing friction. They all belong in free body #3. Superimpose.

BTW, if one wants to measure the "power to spin" in the tunnel with the roller motor (or even better, the motors reaction torque), one would of course apply the minimum tire loading possible, just shy of it slipping. My WAG is that the load would be <1% of the typical "road load". So maybe insignificant/in the noise in relation to the aero drag?

Yep...you're going to need to diagram it out and show it.

Quote Reply

Prev Next