Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Graphical Representation of Training Load & Adaptation. [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
You wrote:Hill training is a prime example of how runners incorporate polarized training into their schedules.

Can you explain what you mean with incorporate polarized training?

One of challenge with sports with large skill/technique components - like swimming and running and (I'm *guessing*) cross country skiing - is how do you generate intensity of adequate quality when you are very fatigued because it becomes harder to maintain technique, which then inherently limits speed.

In swimming, using resistance tools - like a parachute or a band - is a simple way to allow you to find more load at a slower speed, which requires less coordination.

In running, the most common way to do this is to run uphill as opposed to running on the flats. Running uphill, it's a higher load for a given speed, so you can run slower and still get much of the stimulus of at a faster pace.

As a result of this, you are able to keep the quality of your high quality training appropriately high.

Polarized training means, roughly, a lot of very easy training and a little bit of very hard training. It's easy, as you get tired, for the very hard training to become less hard because of neural fatigue. If you can mitigate the neural role a bit - through things like hills - it's easier to keep the hard part of your training appropriately hard.

Put more simply, running hills hard is easier than running flats hard when you are tired. And therefore, it becomes a good way to keep the distribution of your training load appropriately polarized over long training cycles.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Graphical Representation of Training Load & Adaptation. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Halvard wrote:
You wrote:Hill training is a prime example of how runners incorporate polarized training into their schedules.

One of challenge with sports with large skill/technique components - like swimming and running and (I'm *guessing*) cross country skiing - is how do you generate intensity of adequate quality when you are very fatigued because it becomes harder to maintain technique, which then inherently limits speed.

In swimming, using resistance tools - like a parachute or a band - is a simple way to allow you to find more load at a slower speed, which requires less coordination.

In running, the most common way to do this is to run uphill as opposed to running on the flats. Running uphill, it's a higher load for a given speed, so you can run slower and still get much of the stimulus of at a faster pace.

As a result of this, you are able to keep the quality of your high quality training appropriately high.

Polarized training means, roughly, a lot of very easy training and a little bit of very hard training. It's easy, as you get tired, for the very hard training to become less hard because of neural fatigue. If you can mitigate the neural role a bit - through things like hills - it's easier to keep the hard part of your training appropriately hard.

Put more simply, running hills hard is easier than running flats hard when you are tired. And therefore, it becomes a good way to keep the distribution of your training load appropriately polarized over long training cycles.

OK, I got confused about the term incorporating.
In xc-skiing you mostly do all the intervals uphill.
Typical intervals are 5x5 minutes moose hoofing, or on rollerskis, short rest.
In the winter time all intervals are on skis.

You train in two effort levels, talking speed = easy workout or intervals (L4)
Quote Reply
Re: Graphical Representation of Training Load & Adaptation. [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used the term "incorporating" because based on my (admittedly quite limited) understanding/experience, polarization is not used all the time for quite a lot of elite runners; there's a lot of pace-specific training, especially as you get closer to races. And there's also a lot of "nothing but easy" training. But it was maybe more confusing than less, and I should have just said, "...polarize their training..." or "maintain appropriate polarization in their training" or something like that.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Last edited by: Rappstar: Apr 27, 16 13:48
Quote Reply
Re: Graphical Representation of Training Load & Adaptation. [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can keep trying to twist things around, but the fact remains that the PMC doesn't care how you train; it is just a reflection of your daily TSS scores. The latter, in turn, rewards duration more than intensity, at least once you take into consideration what is actually humanly possible (e.g., good luck achieving a CTL of 100 TSS/d on only 30 min/d). The latter is true not only for the original TSS, but also its imitators, i.e., rTSS and sTSS. Thus, to the extent that individuals might be incentivized to chase CTL at the expense of anything else, it would tend to discourage doing lots of middle-intensity work, and instead reward those who are willing to train at an easy-to-moderate intensity for multiple hours per day.
Quote Reply
Re: Graphical Representation of Training Load & Adaptation. [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
You can keep trying to twist things around, but the fact remains that the PMC doesn't care how you train; it is just a reflection of your daily TSS scores. The latter, in turn, rewards duration more than intensity, at least once you take into consideration what is actually humanly possible (e.g., good luck achieving a CTL of 100 TSS/d on only 30 min/d). The latter is true not only for the original TSS, but also its imitators, i.e., rTSS and sTSS. Thus, to the extent that individuals might be incentivized to chase CTL at the expense of anything else, it would tend to discourage doing lots of middle-intensity work, and instead reward those who are willing to train at an easy-to-moderate intensity for multiple hours per day.

So, to summarize:
1) PMC doesn't care how you train
2) but it rewards duration over intensity
3) and CTL is maximized by a large volume of easy-to-moderate intensity work

I'm not sure how you reconcile 1 with 2 & 3. And how you reconcile 2 & 3 with the idea that the PMC doesn't discourage polarized training... But I suspect at this point we're just talking past each other.

As always, I appreciate your replies and insights and willingness to share. This thread was richer because of it.

We're absolutely in agreement that chasing CTL to the exclusion of other inputs is a negative. And that merging TSS across sports is not recommended. So I think we agree on more than we disagree...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jordan - just to clarify, the infographic was made by Derek Hansen, the head of strength and conditioning at Simon Fraser University.
http://www.strengthpowerspeed.com/

He runs a world-class program here and our athletic department is lucky to have his services.

Dave Clarke
Quote Reply
Re: Graphical Representation of Training Load & Adaptation. [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Coggan thank you for your work and presence on slowtwitch.

The most useful tool that I use is intensity factor IF. It helps me to avoid overtraining. I used to just do hard workouts to the point of injury or burnout. I still find it hard to back down after a really good workout yet IF helps a great deal.

I could critique as others have done but to what point. It's not possible for a tool to take in all the individual variations out there. A good or bad swimmer could disagree on the points given. Same with a good or a bad Runner.

Reading the critiques of others has really led me to the conclusion that they have figured it out how to modify it for themselves. However if trainingpeaks modified it for one group another group could easily complain.

Thank you for giving us something to work with.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

We're absolutely in agreement that chasing CTL to the exclusion of other inputs is a negative. And that merging TSS across sports is not recommended. So I think we agree on more than we disagree...

Because CTL was never intended to reflect actual useable fitness, or specific fitness. It's purpose is to estimate your level of recovery and your level of fatigue. It does reflect training load in general and tells you how much overall equivalent aerobic work your doing how many "matches" your burning in a relative manner. But it always need to be considered in context.

Chasing CTL should never be a focus of training. But it's a nice "carrot" for those of us with full time jobs, side jobs and families also grinding out long training hours. You need all the motivation your can get sometimes. Again, I tend to pay the most attention to ramp rates and managing recovery. Having a higher CTL means that a race of a given TSS should require less recovery and it provides a bigger cushion for a "soft landing" when tapering. OR getting more rested without givign up as much total fitness.

But specific physiological adaptations don't not precisely follow the CTL curve. That should be understood. Further, each person will not adapt or respond the same to training load as another.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
So, to summarize:
1) PMC doesn't care how you train
2) but it rewards duration over intensity
3) and CTL is maximized by a large volume of easy-to-moderate intensity work

I'm not sure how you reconcile 1 with 2 & 3. And how you reconcile 2 & 3 with the idea that the PMC doesn't discourage polarized training.

As I said, the PMC doesn't care how you train. If, however, you use TSS as the input function, then CTL can be maximized by doing large amounts of easy-to-moderate intensity training. That same training still leaves room to spice things up with the occasional hard workout or race, especially if you recognize the 100-150 TSS/d "optimal" guideline.*

*Note that I offered this guideline in the early days of the PMC. It has stood the test of time quite well, but if I had a do-over I'd probably lower it a bit, i.e., to 90-140 TSS/d.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
Came across this infographic, which I thought was elegant in its simplicity and also quite effective in communicating a somewhat complicated topic.

The middle one is the worst. And yet that is the one that I believe is typified by most common training plans, especially the trainingpeaks/TSS model. It "rewards" a lot of "kind of" hard work, and yet I don't think it's actually necessarily indicative of what provides the most effective stimulus. I realize that the TSS model has had a lot of success in cycling, but I think it's a lot less applicable for triathlon, especially because there's really no good way to measure TSS in the pool and because I think it undervalues the impact of easy running, which I think are much more valuable than easy cycling...

The takeaways, in my opinion, are two fold:
- the value of a lot of very consistent but easy training.
- the benefit of only a few very hard sessions.

The ideal mix is a combination of high and low intensity, with only moderate middle intensities. Basically, minimize how much so-called "sweet spot" training you do, because it is not at all the sweet spot...

Credit for the photo goes to Mike Young, PhD on Twitter - @MikeYoung

The only context that I have to this infographic is what I see for myself here, but I think that we may be missing something very important here as we try to apply this to cycling and/or triathlon. This thread seems to assume that high, medium, and low applies to endurance training intensity versus high, medium, low intensity of all types of work/exercise. That is, high is HIIT, medium is sweet sport, and low is long easy training. Now, throw true strength training into the continuum of intensity and a different perspective may develop. Sweet spot training (and probably even HIIT) likely falls into the Low category. Otherwise, if we do apply the high/medium/low continuum to endurance training by itself, then I would highlight that seminal work of Hickson and Holloszy show clear and profound aerobic adaptations with Medium/High training.
Quote Reply
Re: Graphical Representation of Training Load & Adaptation. [dave_voyageur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_voyageur wrote:
Hi Jordan - just to clarify, the infographic was made by Derek Hansen, the head of strength and conditioning at Simon Fraser University.
http://www.strengthpowerspeed.com/

He runs a world-class program here and our athletic department is lucky to have his services.

Dave Clarke

The original tweet by Mike credited Derek; I should have just posted the tweet. That said, I didn't realize that he is head of S&C at SFU. That's my lovely wife's alma mater!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many athletes have their FTP overstated in TP , essentially understating TSS/CTL ?
Quote Reply
Re: Graphical Representation of Training Load & Adaptation. [cobalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cobalt wrote:
How many athletes have their FTP overstated in TP , essentially understating TSS/CTL ?

FTP is not a fixed number. So I think, perhaps, the bigger question is how many athletes have their FTP (or threshold paces for swim/run) set appropriately at any given moment in time?

Speaking for myself, I don't ever really change these numbers. Because I don't think that setting them makes a huge difference in terms of practical usability. The model has lots of flaws - some active decisions; some limitations of a particular approach (the inherent limitations of NGP, for example); some just factors related to practicality and/or feasibility and/or state of knowledge (e.g. ignoring thermal load, cadence, and other things that we know affect performance).

To be clear, I have derived some value from use of the PMC, both single sport and combined. It's just data. I think it has problems, yes. But that doesn't mean I think it has no benefit.

I would most like to see TP include an option for RPE, since I think that would add a lot. But I'm able to "track" that effectively enough by simply communicating on a regular basis with my coach.

Quote Reply
Re: Graphical Representation of Training Load & Adaptation. [cobalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cobalt wrote:

No idea in TrainingPeaks, but it's not uncommon even among WKO4 users, whom you would assume are a bit more sophisticated. In fact, we even have a term for it: "vanity FTP."

That's one of the benefits of implementing the P-D model, i.e., it provides an independent, objective estimate of FTP. It's not a perfect approach (primarily due to limitations of the raw data), which is why the program doesn't automatically push mFTP to sFTP, but it does provide a useful reference point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great stuff and that adds to the discusion whats really important.

Rappstar wrote:
Halvard wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the problem is that what you say is quite right but the problem is most people dont really understand how to use what you do.
and fall for what rappster very well describes .
I do think its more the usesrs, fault but I guess you have to find better ways to make lay people to understand what they do.
if what you call more sophisitced wko4 users dont get it as you say than you need to adress that .
at the same time as you say the old system to use rpe smartly is still a good one and while not new in the "power time" many peolple have forgotten it .

Andrew Coggan wrote:
cobalt wrote:

No idea in TrainingPeaks, but it's not uncommon even among WKO4 users, whom you would assume are a bit more sophisticated. In fact, we even have a term for it: "vanity FTP."

That's one of the benefits of implementing the P-D model, i.e., it provides an independent, objective estimate of FTP. It's not a perfect approach (primarily due to limitations of the raw data), which is why the program doesn't automatically push mFTP to sFTP, but it does provide a useful reference point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
I would most like to see TP include an option for RPE, since I think that would add a lot. But I'm able to "track" that effectively enough by simply communicating on a regular basis with my coach.

Friel wrote a blog about estimating TSS including a chart which correlates his zones as well as the 10 point Borg RPE scale.

An athlete can manually edit any workout and place a proxy score based off of RPE using a conversion tool such as this. Once a manually edited TSS score is entered it appears in the log as *TSS. Any triathlete who finds rTSS or sTSS bogus can simply edit the workouts and put a *TSS based on their RPE.

Seems like a good concept from Friel. If you do not like his conversion, just create what seems to feel right for you. Probably should be okay as long as the same conversion is always used for a true apples to apples comparison.

http://www.trainingbible.com/.../estimating-tss.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
cobalt wrote:

This is what I would also like to see. I want TP to have a bit more functionality to allow us to create a custom likert scale to track RPE or even how you feel during and after the workout. Or something as easy as sleep. I'd be much more interested in seeing athlete 'data' on how they feel like they slept for the past few weeks. Or stress levels, etc. That might be much more telling that CTL.

I am told it is in the works.
Quote Reply
Re: Graphical Representation of Training Load & Adaptation. [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kbd wrote:
Friel wrote a blog about estimating TSS including a chart which correlates his zones as well as the 10 point Borg RPE scale.

An athlete can manually edit any workout and place a proxy score based off of RPE using a conversion tool such as this. Once a manually edited TSS score is entered it appears in the log as *TSS. Any triathlete who finds rTSS or sTSS bogus can simply edit the workouts and put a *TSS based on their RPE.

Seems like a good concept from Friel.

"Session RPE" is not Friel's idea, it is Carl Foster's.

Moreover, it has been what I have been suggesting to/for triathletes for years and years (in keeping with the PPP, "If it feels hard, it is hard.").
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, Foster did propose an RPE based system, but his work is long before TSS (of any variety) ever existed. As far as I know, Foster did not offer a suggested conversion to a number that would plug into the PMC. I brought up Friel's blog because it is more specific to the TSS style numbers in the PMC.
Quote Reply
Re: Graphical Representation of Training Load & Adaptation. [kbd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kbd wrote:
Yes, Foster did propose an RPE based system, but his work is long before TSS (of any variety) ever existed. As far as I know, Foster did not offer a suggested conversion to a number that would plug into the PMC. I brought up Friel's blog because it is more specific to the TSS style numbers in the PMC.

There is no need to convert. Just enter Foster's session RPE score as a substitute for TSS (or rTSS, etc.) for every workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is actual training of biathlon athletes before the 02 Olympics.
Yes athletes in this sample won gold medals.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you only show data from elite XC skiing (which you are doing repeatedly), there is no indication or justification that these data are pertinent to anything other than elite XC skiing.
Quote Reply
Re: Graphical Representation of Training Load & Adaptation. [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duncan wrote:
If you only show data from elite XC skiing (which you are doing repeatedly), there is no indication or justification that these data are pertinent to anything other than elite XC skiing.

Really? Why?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't a solution to the middle graph just be to space out the mediumly hard days a little more so that you were stressing the body but getting more recovery.
Quote Reply

Prev Next