Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Nikki Haley (Governor, SC-R) just launched her VP bid [NCtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have I not been paying attention to your posts in the past, has someone hacked your account, or bad day?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Nikki Haley (Governor, SC-R) just launched her VP bid [NCtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NCtri wrote:
windywave wrote:
NCtri wrote:
Good god, you can't be that stupid. They are not teachers. Like every other line of work there are tiers of employees. Some teach, some research. Good luck getting those dudes that work 100 hrs a week in their labs teaching 4 classes. Have fun in cheese country. Personally I don't care anymore. Wait till they start taking away stuff from attorneys cause, you know, any idiot can draw up a will.

So university professors aren't supposed to teach? No fucking wonder college costs so much. Did you draw up your own will?

You truly are a non-reading freakin idiot. Yes actually I did draw up my will as well as several of my family. Wills are not rocket science. Someone needs to remove you from the gene pool before it is too late.

Sweet dude hope it doesn't go to probate also you probably didn't plan it tax efficiently. . . .but more to the point you completely ignored my question about professors teaching.
Quote Reply
Re: Nikki Haley (Governor, SC-R) just launched her VP bid [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol. Perfect summation.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Nikki Haley (Governor, SC-R) just launched her VP bid [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take a stab at your question.

It depends on the school, the department, and the professor. Some professors never teach any classes. These are generally research professors who spend 100% of their time doing research. Other professors are referred to as teaching professors who spend the majority of their time teaching. And, of course, you have gradations of everything in between (just like hat etiquette......= ^ ). There's also a third category that is related to service toward the department. This could be, for example, reaching out into the community and building relationships, which is neither teaching nor research.

Some universities place a higher emphasis on teaching, while others place a higher emphasis on research.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NCtri wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
my neighbors (here in Madtown) are top profs&researchers in medical biology, they bring in millions of dollars in research . . . they got an offer from another U and they are gone . . . all happened in 2-3 months

Yeah, we lost one of our best to Iowa State the other day. Hell he got a $50K raise and a bunch of bennies. But the politicians know how to run academia. You may not like how we run, but this is a multibillion dollar business that generates stuff like the RTP in the triangle. You mess with them and they will move on. Someone always wants them. For some reason you guys think everyone is a history or english prof. Most of the guys I know make over a $1 million a year as professors. Their base salary is not of interest. They simply want to work in a good environment.

Interesting insights.

Which states would you consider magnets for the cream of the crop?

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. - Theodore Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Re: Nikki Haley (Governor, SC-R) just launched her VP bid [ChoppinBroccoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChoppinBroccoli wrote:
NCtri wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
my neighbors (here in Madtown) are top profs&researchers in medical biology, they bring in millions of dollars in research . . . they got an offer from another U and they are gone . . . all happened in 2-3 months

Yeah, we lost one of our best to Iowa State the other day. Hell he got a $50K raise and a bunch of bennies. But the politicians know how to run academia. You may not like how we run, but this is a multibillion dollar business that generates stuff like the RTP in the triangle. You mess with them and they will move on. Someone always wants them. For some reason you guys think everyone is a history or english prof. Most of the guys I know make over a $1 million a year as professors. Their base salary is not of interest. They simply want to work in a good environment.

Interesting insights.

Which states would you consider magnets for the cream of the crop?

Moving target. And not who you would expect. Couple years ago Wyoming was flush with oil money. They hired two of ours. Tennessee hired 4 of ours. Places like Auburn and Oklahoma get huge donations (30-40 million) and then can hire the best. It really just depends. The big time schools generally can hire who they want, but a lot of people would rather be a big fish in a small pond. And I only know the Bschool field. I'm at a mid-level so we bleed good faculty. My major prof went to Oklahoma for a 4 million dollar chair. Another on my committee went to Michigan State for a $3 million chair. The public really doesn't know how this works. And executive Ed is stupid silly in terms of compensation. Those guys can do 20K a day. BTW, none of this applies to me. I'm plebian. Research one institutions in nearly any state can come up with the cash. That is what is alarming about these drastic cuts to budgets. Universities are 90% salary give or take. You take 30% out of the budget, you are really messing with operations. And most places are running with 60% adjuncts making starvation wages.

Science and Engineering are completely different critters. A good patent can bring in millions to a university. But their startup costs are just incredible.

Arts and Sciences profs have way lower salaries. An English tenure track (if you could get it) might be $45K. Business would never start at a large university below $100K. Medicine is more. It is an interesting business to be in.

I apologize for being arrogant, I had a very bad day. I'm generally not that big of an ass. An ass, but not that big.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.
Quote Reply
Re: Nikki Haley (Governor, SC-R) just launched her VP bid [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
velocomp wrote:
JSA wrote:
NCtri wrote:
People who live in glass houses. It is nice those in Wisconsin no longer need university. Guess there is enough cheese there to make up for it.

We have over a $1B (with a "B") surplus in the UW system. I think we'll be fine ...

And don't forget, your athletes actually attend class.

Because they're Badgered to do so

I sincerely apologize for that

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Nikki Haley (Governor, SC-R) just launched her VP bid [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I meant to say was, Nikki Haley just tanked her VP bid.

Haley Faces Conservative Backlash After SOTU Response

Trump And Supporters Hit Back At Nikki Haley's Jabs

Nailed it!

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Jan 13, 16 11:03
Quote Reply
Re: Nikki Haley (Governor, SC-R) just launched her VP bid [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Republicans better sink her fast. She's coming off as moderate, clear thinking. That will alienate the vocal minority of republicans whose vision for fixing America, though not yet fully hashed out, typically includes a Jesus riding on a mustang, shooting a AR-15 at heathen muslims.

If you ever doubted that the Republican are a hot, stinkin' mess just look at what is happening. We are in an election year and instead of discussing moderate, rational candidates (i.e. Chritie, Rubino, Fiorina or Haley ) that actually have a chance of winning the general election by taking the swing votes from Hillary Clinton, the leading Republicans are playing a populist game of trying to out crazy each other.

sphere wrote:
What I meant to say was, Nikki Haley just tanked her VP bid.

Haley Faces Conservative Backlash After SOTU Response

Trump And Supporters Hit Back At Nikki Haley's Jabs

Nailed it!

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Nikki Haley (Governor, SC-R) just launched her VP bid [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes because that approach has won so many elections lately.

You might want to check the latest polls on how many independents and dems said they would vote for Trump. It may give some of the out of touch a way to gauge the general discourse ofnthe country.

~
"You lie!" The Prophet Joe Wilson
Quote Reply
Re: Nikki Haley (Governor, SC-R) just launched her VP bid [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smart move. He's the obvious choice for her brand of politics (among those who stand a chance), and she would round out a Rubio ticket quite nicely.

http://www.cnn.com/...ndorses-marco-rubio/

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Nikki Haley (Governor, SC-R) just launched her VP bid [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Law school is all about LSAT scores.

Yeah, that's what all my friends who tested right into law school right after high school are always telling me.

I'm a year late on this but it popped back up and thought I'd reply to this: a friend of mine in college was a HUGE slacker, smartest kid I've ever met but never went to class, routinely dropped out of courses, by the end of each semester he'd wind up with 2 completed classes. Took him seven years to get through and to this day I don't know if he actually got a diploma. Regardless, he took the LSAT's on a whim and scored in the 99.9 percentile. He started getting letters from the best law schools in the country asking for him to apply. He now teaches the LSATs because he's still a huge slacker. But his college 'degree'--if he even has one--didn't matter one bit, he could have gone anywhere he wanted just off his LSAT scores--provided he got the required college diploma that really didn't matter at all for him. And frankly, I spent some time taking mock LSAT exams and they're a joke, you don't need a college degree to do well on the LSATs and, by extension, do well in law school. I'm with JSA on this one, the bloated tuitions contribute to bloated professor salaries and massive university admin departments, there is no need for that crap when half the diplomas aren't worth the shitty paper they're printed on once those kids reach the 'real world'.
Last edited by: Brownie28: Feb 17, 16 14:07
Quote Reply
Re: Nikki Haley (Governor, SC-R) just launched her VP bid [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice summation, shame everyones gone off topic on some university stuff.

But how many posts and no picture? I'm more shocked than a lactate intolerant professor at a the UoW.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply

Prev Next