Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
There's no NEED. I wear my wedding band at races for the same reason I wear it all other times, as a symbol of my love and commitment to my wife. My being able to train/race involves sacrifices on her part, so it would seem weird to not wear it when I race.

But does it provide an aero advantage? Otherwise, it's useless.

(Pink)
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try to go about your race day preparation calmly. Try to allow plenty of time, but if you don't have time for your desired bike or run warm up, do some aquajogging during the swim warm up time.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
There are so many little nuggets of wisdom in this sport. But I'd love to learn more....

Purchase new gear (or bike) at the end of your triathlon season. Then use your off season and early training stages to try things out and replace if necessary.
Last edited by: Recoverie: Feb 13, 16 23:17
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never do the flying mount . I just step on the left shoe, swing my foot over the the other shoe and pedal off.
Never do shoe on bike mount without a hell of a lot of practice. It'll just slow you down.
If I recall Emilio and Monty never do them. period.

And, I never start with shoes on bike if the exit from T1 is a steep hill that doesn't flatten out for a while. It's just too hard to get feet in and strapped under those conditions, at least for me.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't panic.

Don't start too hard.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arrive early and warm-up all 3 sports. Check out the swim-in, swim-out, bike-in, bike-out and run-in (just for my Du friends), run-out and the finish line. Where those are and a little visualization is nice.

Funny things is making sure your in one gear up at bike-out. Spinning in the beginning 200-300 yards cools the stomach and jitters.

STIndiana
America Multi-Sport, Inc.
America's Half June 10, 2017
USAT RD Century Club
http://www.americamultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [slornow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slornow wrote:
Your first OWS should NOT be on raceday!

Bonus: you don't need to carry your swim goggles with you on the run. Did this twice last year when grabbing race belt and heading out on the run. dumbass.

this. don't jeopardize your 70.3 or 140.6 mile race day because of a 1.2 or 2.4 mile swim. used to lifeguard at steelhead, and one year i was at one of the first buoys, maybe 200m in. I had people hanging on my kayak. it's a good thing we got paid well, because it was stressful as hell!

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My favorites are Imodium the night before the race, and eating enough the night before so that I don't need to eat anything in the morning. For longer races I will eat a handful of mixed nuts trail mix, which is very good for blood sugar levels.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With regards to my wedding ring: I use waterproof medical tape to wrap around my ring finger.
It only has to last long enough for me to exit the swim. But it usually lasts longer.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Mr Brightside] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Odd – I take it the morning of... I feel like if I were to take it the night before, it wouldn't last

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. When awaiting race start, carry a couple wet wipes in a plastic baggie in case you need a last minute trip to the potty. Nothing like needing that last-minute trip and finding none of the shitters have any TP left.
2. Hold on to your shorts when the wetsuit strippers pull down.
3. Elastic laces on the running shoes.
4. When running through transition with your bike, hand goes on saddle not handlebars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Through races or training events, figure out how hard you can bike and still be able to run to your ability.. it is a delicate balance but don't try to save 10 minutes on the bike and give back 30 on the run. On race day, it is the total race time that matters not having the ride of your life.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [jimruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep 1/2 a roll of toilet paper in a ziploc bag in your triathlon bag. And bring it with you to the port a john.

Practice your race nutrition during training and practice with whatever you plan to wear during your race. More appropriate for long distance. Used to carry most of my nutrition in the 3 pockets of my bike jersey during long bike rides. Day of race, realize my race top only has one pocket. Had to get creative with storing the rest of the nutrition.

Bring 2 pairs of sunglasses. One for bike and one for run. I find I tend to sweat into the lenses on the bike and end up running with smeared lenses on the run if I don't swap them out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rack the bike in the small chain ring so you can take off quicker.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10 minutes of training is better than zero. 10 min is enough to get a short spin or run or 10 min of core work in. It all adds up. 4x10min in a week 52 weeks is an extra 34 hours of training. That's like 2 extra weeks of 17 hour weeks. It all adds up to more than the guy not taking these opportunities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have fun
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Relax.

2) Bring about a third of the stuff you were planning on bringing race morning.

Number two will help immensely with number one. I find most of the stress of race day is organization related. Less stuff to worry about = less stress = more fun.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
1) Relax.

2) Bring about a third of the stuff you were planning on bringing race morning.

Number two will help immensely with number one. I find most of the stress of race day is organization related. Less stuff to worry about = less stress = more fun.

Related to number 2, all items must fit into a small backpack and you should be able to ride in and out of the race venue. (now I realize some races you can't ride into because you drop your bike the day before, but the small backpack limitation applies regardless).
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
docfuel wrote:
I never do the flying mount . I just step on the left shoe, swing my foot over the the other shoe and pedal off.

Same. Flying mounts look cool, but I'll leave them to the pros. The risk/reward just isn't worth it for me.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing tri 10 years & just learned that one. I wish I would have read your tip before IM Tahoe. I spent about 2 miles doing the one fist drill as to not loose my ring.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see this one listed. Get a professional bike fit. Aside from doing all the training consistently & technically sound by refining it day after day--the bike fit for sure. If you're in a powerful/comfortable position you can ride longer, faster & have less impact to your run.

I've seen so many athletes rig a bike fit themselves & cramp themselves up by the end of the bike, that a walk-run or waddle is what they're left with.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:
There's no NEED. I wear my wedding band at races for the same reason I wear it all other times, as a symbol of my love and commitment to my wife. My being able to train/race involves sacrifices on her part, so it would seem weird to not wear it when I race.

But does it provide an aero advantage? Otherwise, it's useless.
(Pink)

lololol

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
docfuel wrote:

Same. Flying mounts look cool, but I'll leave them to the pros. The risk/reward just isn't worth it for me.

Me too. Mine is a bit different though: I have my right shoe at 12:00 and pretty wide open. I approach from the left side of the bike, swing my right leg over the seat and my right foot goes right into the shoe at which point I push off with my left foot and push down with my right. A couple of quick pedals and I have enough momentum to coast and get my left foot in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here too. I used to do flying mounts until during a race, I did a flying mount and the ''shock'' made me loose one of my bottles. Not worth that risk...
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You made me run today. After a long day of celebrating our daughters first birthday/Valentine's Day with cookouts and family I did not want to do my run. Then I remembered seeing this post earlier.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next