Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip
Quote | Reply
There are so many little nuggets of wisdom in this sport. But I'd love to learn more....

In transition, I keep my helmet upside down and ready to go on the ground sitting safely on my towel. Pretty much every race I see someone's helmet in transition get knocked off a bike's aerobars and onto the concrete by someone who accidentally bumped the transition rack grabbing their own bike. I can't stand the thought of my helmet hitting the cement from four feet in order to save .5 seconds in T1 it takes me to bend down and pick it up. Equally upsetting to me is that if bumped off it won't be where I left it and I'd have to deal with a tangled mess of helmet straps and sunglasses.

Here's the tip though, I keep two pairs of glasses ready to go near the helmet-a pair of sunnies and a pair of clear glasses for fog or rain. I grab whichever pair are suited for conditions. Keeps flys, moths, and pebbles out of my eyes at speed.

Here you can see the sunnies in the helmet ready to go and the clear ones next to it as an option.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Last edited by: Timtek: Feb 13, 16 11:00
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Float a little, Ride hard and ride a lot, run hard. Repeat every week for a few years.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never trust a fart on the run.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get out of the water before everyone else and you don't have to keep your helmet on the ground.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even if you have shat three times that morning, listen to your stomach telling you need a 4th, don't say, "I've already shat three times today, it's just gas." It's not.

Still the best swim split in my life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't run behind this guy.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NOTHING new on race day!

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talk about spilling the beans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Practice. Flying. Mounts.

I don't care how stupid you feel prancing around a parking lot in spandex because quite frankly, you really do look that stupid; however, not NEARLY as stupid as you look when you fall coming out of T-1.

Yeah, ask me.

More than once.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy26: Feb 13, 16 13:35
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Dozer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [DangerJim71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DangerJim71 wrote:
Get out of the water before everyone else and you don't have to keep your helmet on the ground.

Half the time I see them bumped off when someone pops the bike onto the rack as well. I see your point though!

My motto is that if my helmet is going to hit the cement floor than damn it my head better be in it. Lol

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really my BEST tip, but useful. Remove your wedding ring before the swim. Cold water=lost ring. Now it's part of my night before ritual..wife reminds me to remove the ring, and I politely (key word is politely) tell her I already have.

I once forgot to remove the ring. Didn't lose it, but attempted to swim with the left hand fisted. Gave up quickly, and waved over a kayaker to hold ring until race end (very nice of her). Don't be me.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turn up at the right place, on the right day, at the right time.

Never happened to me, but you'd be surprised how many have this war story.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
Practice. Flying. Mounts.

Good point. My friend says he practices them every time he bikes outdoors.

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do all of your training. Don't skip anything if you want to be fast. Trite but true.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
Not really my BEST tip, but useful. Remove your wedding ring before the swim. Cold water=lost ring. Now it's part of my night before ritual..wife reminds me to remove the ring, and I politely (key word is politely) tell her I already have.

I once forgot to remove the ring. Didn't lose it, but attempted to swim with the left hand fisted. Gave up quickly, and waved over a kayaker to hold ring until race end (very nice of her). Don't be me.

I got a Ti version of my platinum wedding band ($10 at Amazon) that I use for races. That way if it should end up at the bottom of the ocean, no loss.

Got the idea after snorkeling on vacation and finding someone's gold band.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use two fingers instead of just one to help slide your heel into your running shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Step into your race belt and pull it on like pants instead of trying to clip it while running.

Yes, you do need sunscreen.
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your first OWS should NOT be on raceday!

Bonus: you don't need to carry your swim goggles with you on the run. Did this twice last year when grabbing race belt and heading out on the run. dumbass.

Randy
http://www.gulfcoasttriteam.com
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [slornow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always wonder why people put everything on their only towel. When they enter T1, it is the first thing they want to pick up (to dry their feet, face, etc.) and it is underneath everything. My tip, take a couple towels. One to keep stuff off the ground, and one for a quick wipe off.

Start slow and taper off....
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [slornow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By "the code" you are required to wear them the entire run when you do this.

Bonus: you don't need to carry your swim goggles with you on the run. Did this twice last year when grabbing race belt and heading out on the run. dumbass.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Work off power and join Trainer Road. Bike more than the race bike distance a couple of times. Bike often and bike hard with runs off the bike and use the off season to get stronger on the bike. Also, become a strong bike rider and make sure you bike. Did I mention to bike? This my own advice to myself for this new season. We will see if I learned anything. Probably not and will still over-bike trying to keep up with all you strong bikers.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
chxddstri wrote:

I got a Ti version of my platinum wedding band ($10 at Amazon) that I use for races. That way if it should end up at the bottom of the ocean, no loss.

Got the idea after snorkeling on vacation and finding someone's gold band.

Why? What's the point or the need to wear a ring while racing?
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's no NEED. I wear my wedding band at races for the same reason I wear it all other times, as a symbol of my love and commitment to my wife. My being able to train/race involves sacrifices on her part, so it would seem weird to not wear it when I race.

Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Spill the beans: let's hear your best triathlon tip [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back to triathlon tips....

Use earplugs for the swim. They make it a lot easier to keep your balance during the swim exit, and I found having water in my ears contributed to feeling nauseous on the run.

I found that soft silicone "pine trees" like the ones below work well, are cheap, easy to remove, and can easily be retrieved from my transition spot post race (highly visible on grass/asphalt).

Quote Reply

Prev Next