Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Advice on my trainer sessions
Quote | Reply
This week I did 5 min (Monday) and 20 min (Wednesday) power tests, averaging 260W and 225W respectively. Both were done on the turbo, in the TT position, during a normal training block. (Weight currently just below 58kg.) Previous best scores were 297W and 259W, in March 2013 (weight similar). So, the question is this: doing 2 turbos and 1 long ride per week, what turbo sessions does the ST collective recommend to get my 20m power as close to 260W as possible by mid July?

With my 20min at 86.5% of my 5 min, I’ve got some headroom to raise my 20 min, but I’m gonna have to raise the 5 min to get the 20 min up to 260. So, I’m thinking an 8 week block of (#1) VO2max intervals plus (#2) sweet spot intervals. Then move into a 12 week block of (#1) 2x 20 min threshold plus (#2) mixing up above and below threshold.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by: Heyhosilver: Feb 10, 16 13:30
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on my trainer sessions [Heyhosilver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Over the fall, I trained exactly the way you describe - 2 turbo sessions during the week, and a longer ride on the weekend (which I also did on the turbo). For me, it looked like this:

Tuesday: 75-90min on turbo with short intervals, usually 20x1min all out with 1min recoveries. Warmup and cooldown with whatever time you have available.
Thursday: 75-90min on turbo with longer short intervals, usually 5x5' all out with 5' recoveries. Yes, long rest for that duration. I wanted to have energy to crush the intervals.
Saturday: 2-2.5hr on turbo with tempo, big gear, and a shorter interval set. Standard ride was 30min warmup building, 30min tempo, 8x3min big gear w/2min recoveries, 5min easy, 15x(40sec very hard, 20sec easy), 30min endurance/easy. Total of 2.5h. If you only have 2h, take out the last 30min easy.

I got a lot faster on this schedule. I didn't have a power meter at the beginning of the plan, but I'd have put my FTP around 260w. I started in August, and finally got power in December. My FTP is right around 300w @ 71kg (same weight as in August).

When the gains taper out, switch to 2x20' with 5' recovery for both weekday sessions, and keep the long ride but add more sweet spot and tempo. When the gains taper out on that, switch back.

As long as you're riding hard, you'll improve!

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on my trainer sessions [Heyhosilver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heyhosilver wrote:
This week I did 5 min (Monday) and 20 min (Wednesday) power tests, averaging 260W and 225W respectively. Both were done on the turbo, in the TT position, during a normal training block. (Weight currently just below 58kg.) Previous best scores were 297W and 259W, in March 2013 (weight similar). So, the question is this: doing 2 turbos and 1 long ride per week, what turbo sessions does the ST collective recommend to get my 20m power as close to 260W as possible by mid July?

With my 20min at 86.5% of my 5 min, I’ve got some headroom to raise my 20 min, but I’m gonna have to raise the 5 min to get the 20 min up to 260. So, I’m thinking an 8 week block of (#1) VO2max intervals plus (#2) sweet spot intervals. Then move into a 12 week block of (#1) 2x 20 min threshold plus (#2) mixing up above and below threshold.

Thanks in advance.

Trainerroad has exactly what you're looking for.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on my trainer sessions [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were you doing 2x20's @ FTP or just under?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on my trainer sessions [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Generally just under FTP. That way it's repeatable on a consistent basis, and I can do a lot of sweet spot/tempo work in a single week. Right now, with FTP at ~300, my 2x20s are 275-285w on a typical day.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on my trainer sessions [abrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that's encouraging.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice on my trainer sessions [kini62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, been thinking about TR for a while; signed up now and seen an 8 week plan that looks good.
Quote Reply