Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best bars - both post workout and meal replacement
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any recommendations for post workout and/or meal replacement bars, preferably with as little crap added to them as possible? I've been eating Picky Bars of late and they aren't bad, but as a big guy sometimes I need something with more than 200 calories and it gets expensive eating two at a time. I've found it helps control my diet if I have something in my bag that I can eat if needed rather than being stuck with fast food if I'm at work or traveling. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Best bars - both post workout and meal replacement [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you considered a bit of a meal prep, making something at home to take with you?

I know travelling is tough, I have the same issue. I usually pack protein powder and my shaker when I travel, along with Kashi bars, they are pretty low calorie and ingredients are pretty decent. Bars for a full meal replacement will be tough though. I'm currently looking into sushi rice cakes, going to make a few this weekend and see how it goes. I found the link below in a thread on this forum:

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2015/08/nutrition/feed-zone-portables-blueberry-chocolate-coconut-rice-cakes_76982

Quote Reply
Re: Best bars - both post workout and meal replacement [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like Zone Bars. They make a simple Zone Bar too with only a handful of ingredients.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I opened this thread thinking it was referring to the best places to quench your thirst and get a pint of Guinness. I was sadly mistaken.

But, I like protein powder and a Laurabar. The bars have no protein, but they only have a couple of ingredients, great flavors and are relatively inexpensive for 200 calories.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love these things:

http://www.bonkbreaker.com

Quote | Reply
Have you tried Epic bars? I've only had a couple but they were solid enough that I took a stab at ordering a few of their varieties online when I had a store credit. Haven't broken into them yet though. They have some "bites" - and I'm sure other brands have something similar - which I think will be handy when I want something to eat but not an entire bar. Or maybe I'll just end up eating the whole bag at once....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probar Meal

http://shop.theprobar.com/Products/PROBAR-Meal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toefuzz wrote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for post workout and/or meal replacement bars, preferably with as little crap added to them as possible? I've been eating Picky Bars of late and they aren't bad, but as a big guy sometimes I need something with more than 200 calories and it gets expensive eating two at a time. I've found it helps control my diet if I have something in my bag that I can eat if needed rather than being stuck with fast food if I'm at work or traveling. Any suggestions?

How do you determine what's "crap" and what's not? Is this one of those avoid-things-with-funny-chemical-names heuristics? Because the "real" ingredients are also composed of things with funny chemical names, they just don't get listed on the label that way. This isn't to suggest there aren't more and less nutritious food ingredients, but whether something is "real" or "organic" or whatever doesn't seem to go very far in determining whether it's actually nutritious and whether and how much of it belongs in a healthy diet.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bars - both post workout and meal replacement [vinny311] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vinny311 wrote:
protein powder and a Larabar. The bars have no protein, but they only have a couple of ingredients, great flavors and are relatively inexpensive for 200 calories.
This exactly

Plus if you can get to an Ollie's, they often have Lara Bars for ridiculously cheap, like $1.99/box

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I eat Clif Builders Protein bars. I found out i have a wheat, egg white and cows milk (Whey) allergies so these don't have the crap in them that I can't eat. 20 grand of protein, 280 calories each and you can buy a box of 6 of them at Publix supermarket, box of 18 at Sams club, etc.

I am thinking about a weight gainer/ soy protein though it I can't figure this new diet out soon.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ProBars
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peanut butter and jelly sandwich with Choclate milk

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Re: Best bars - both post workout and meal replacement [IREPathletics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IREPathletics wrote:
Choclate milk

I don't care how many often I see this suggested as a recovery aid, I'll never succumb to this idea.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Best bars - both post workout and meal replacement [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why? It's just glucose and protein.

What do you prefer?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
IREPathletics wrote:
Choclate milk

I don't care how many often I see this suggested as a recovery aid, I'll never succumb to this idea.

Sugar is sugar. Skeletal and liver glycogen needs to be replaced post workout. Protein is needed for the recipe of protein synthesis. Instead of just hating your suggestion and contribution to the thread is...?

Dynamic Athlete ProgrammingVIP Endurance Racing | Like us on Facebook Get Your Training Plan Here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
IREPathletics wrote:
Choclate milk

Why? It is as close to a perfect mix as you can get.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Best bars - both post workout and meal replacement [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
best meal replacement = quest bar. hands down. they sell them in 711 now here in cali
Quote Reply