Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

retul fit or not
Quote | Reply
getting on a new bike and compariing Retul fit vs standard fist static fit.
is the 100.00 more with Retul fit worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: retul fit or not [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends.
I would think it's more about the fitter than whether it's Retul or not.
I'd much rather have a good fitter do a more basic fit than a Retul fit done by a bad one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For retul to certify a fitter they have some certain pre requesites (like classes and stuff. Idk the specifics), so you can expect a decent baseline. I got fitted by a retul fitter in upstate NY--patriot multisport--and he did a fantastic job with me.

Bottom line it's a damn comfortable fit. And aero

Little details
You'll also get your fit metrics put in a system so if for any reason you move either you can recreate it or another retul fitter can work with that position later on, say for example, a fit bike, without actually being on your tri/road bike. Worth it to me.

Yep it's handy to know those metrics.... If the retul fitter is good they will compromise on what a computer spits out as an ideal fit. For example I moved up 1cm on the front end from my retul fit because I was uncomfortable- the fitter could see that and we worked together to sort out something simple but important. Use the retul as a very good baseline but don't be afraid to make alterations based on comfort. Communicate to your fitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd chose a dynamic fit over a static fit. If that dynamic fit is done using a retul measuring device, then that's what you should do. The retul does won't do the fit for the fitter. The numbers you get from the retul (assuming the right anatomical landmarks were located) along with the fitters eye/knowledge/experience, plus client feedback...is a guide to help make fit decisions.

Mat Steinmetz

51-SPEEDSHOP.com - instagram - @matsteinmetz - facebook
Quote Reply
Re: retul fit or not [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If the retul fitter is good they will compromise on what a computer spits out as an ideal fit.

I understand what you're saying, but how does the computer spit out an ideal fit? I use a retul system and it does not do this. All the retul system does is give you numbers. I think this is a very important part of fitting, but it does nothing more.

Mat Steinmetz

Quote Reply
Re: retul fit or not [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i just meant in terms of angles, degrees etc....eg back angle should be between x and x degrees etc...well atleast the muve/retul i had done had the green/red numbers. I think we are on the same page anyway
Quote Reply
Re: retul fit or not [Mat Steinmetz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mat Steinmetz wrote:
Quote:
If the retul fitter is good they will compromise on what a computer spits out as an ideal fit.

I understand what you're saying, but how does the computer spit out an ideal fit? I use a retul system and it does not do this. All the retul system does is give you numbers. I think this is a very important part of fitting, but it does nothing more.

Curious what you think of the knee tracking tweaks fitters can make using the Retul by changing cleat placement. It seemed to me during my Retul fit that undue wobble in the knees, or especially in one knee vs. the other, remedied by making minor changes in cleat position, would be an advantage if that 'wobble' or asymmetric power application is impossible or very hard to see by naked eye.

Also, when you say "all it does is give you numbers", maybe you downplay the value of that, because in some respects it is the most important output to your fit inputs. I've had both types of fits and the Retul report as my takeaway, with specificity down to the mm on stack/reach/saddle setback in particular, make it much easier to replicate that position on other bikes. Without an x/y tool, I personally find it ridiculously hard to get precise about those numbers (even down to a half cm of error). Some fitters are so negligent they don't even take those measurements as an output of the fit process. Retul is worth the extra money for just that, in my experience anyways
Quote Reply
Re: retul fit or not [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Curious what you think of the knee tracking tweaks fitters can make using the Retul by changing cleat placement. It seemed to me during my Retul fit that undue wobble in the knees, or especially in one knee vs. the other, remedied by making minor changes in cleat position, would be an advantage if that 'wobble' or asymmetric power application is impossible or very hard to see by naked eye.

Knee tracking: Again, does the retul system tell you what to do with the numbers you get or the knee tracking image? I think it's a great diagnostic tool!

What I think about knee wobble and how to correct that is a whole other topic. For me, I don't believe it should be standard operating procedure to force body segments into a particular plane of motion. Often times we don't know where it's coming from, but because we can, go directly to the foot. I'm not saying it's wrong, but I don't think we know enough to have every bike fitter in the country trying to make sure every cyclist has perfect knee tracking.

Quote:
Also, when you say "all it does is give you numbers", maybe you downplay the value of that, because in some respects it is the most important output to your fit inputs. I've had both types of fits and the Retul report as my takeaway, with specificity down to the mm on stack/reach/saddle setback in particular, make it much easier to replicate that position on other bikes. Without an x/y tool, I personally find it ridiculously hard to get precise about those numbers (even down to a half cm of error). Some fitters are so negligent they don't even take those measurements as an output of the fit process. Retul is worth the extra money for just that, in my experience anyways

I'm not downplaying it and personally use all the new fit technology that is available. I believe in being able to measure things with a certain degree of accuracy, or what's the point of measuring it to begin with. However, I don't believe it's the most important part of the fit. If you're not a good bike fitter, it's garbage in and garbage out.

Dan talks a lot about this when people start asking about which bike is best for them based on a set of fit coordinates. The first step is to make sure the fit coordinates are that of a well conducted fit.

I can grab anyone off the street and within a day, teach them how to run a fit tool. Specifically to the retul, someone can bury their head in the computer and make the basic measurements read green, but the fit is terrible. This is true of all fit tools in my opinion. They make our job as a fitter easier, more precise, time efficient, (your example of measuring the bike is perfect), but none of these tools will do the fit for you.

Mat Steinmetz

Last edited by: Mat Steinmetz: Dec 23, 15 6:24
Quote Reply