Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
kny wrote:
Bruce,

You're talking about swim drafting of relatively compatible swimmers. This scenario was quite a bit different. You've got Matt, who swam 40:50 at IMCHOO (compared to your 42:23) yet followed that up with 61 minutes at Kona. Needless to say if he had been swimming honestly he'd have been in the low 50s at Kona. But he wasn't swimming honestly; he had agreed to pace Lionel at Kona and paced him to a 61. Swimming out of the pro wave, it is probably unlikely that Lionel would have found other feet to draft at that speed, so Matt was certainly planned assistance so that he would not be abandoned out there all alone while the front pack swimmers all benefited from the typical racing draft. Maybe that's cool and good strategy and good planning to seek out a domestique ahead of time. I think most find that it goes against the spirit of individual competition, if not the rules (though it seems pretty clear to be against the rules too).

Can you please some data and facts to support your and others statement "I think most find that is goes ......"

The data from the poll clearly do not support this statement, or can I no count? :)

And where is the rules is this "spirit of individual competition" With swam drafting legal, I continue to believe there are just a few (percentage wise) feeling this way, since the rules, swim mass starts, etc make no logical sense
to support this, IMO.

I cannot believe I am responding to you because it is pretty much against my rules but I just cannot help myself. The data from the poll MOST CERTAINLY supports his statement, "most find that it goes against the spirit of individual competition" as 60% find it unethical. The ones who voted that it is not illegal I would bet have not followed this issue closely enough to find the rule about subordinating your race ambitions to assist another racer.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you all should just give this up and go have a beer. Every friggin body that jumps in that water is trying to hang on to the guy in front of him or hers feet and it's always been okay. Now you've forced a coach an athlete and a friend of an athlete admit this is what they intended to do. So the hell what now?Get over it.
You should be happy that you have some people here that can admit there mistakes and not try to cover it up.

Time for all you armchair quaterbacks to move on and drop this and go watch a sport that really matters in everyday life.
Go Michigan
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 Dave has issues when things don't go his way. 60% is a decent majority who feel it was unethical to pre-arrange a swim domestique.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"So I still don't know this answer: Was it cheating for Lionel & Matt to do this?"

cheating: "act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage." it was against the rules. but it wasn't cheating.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [mattchrbt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All this for a guy who was way off the pace and then another guy even further of the pace writes what could be done in a sentence in 100 or so lines of drivel, moaning about being beaten by a guy who was almost as irrelevant to the race as him.

I do care though
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

The ones who voted that it is not illegal I would bet have not followed this issue closely enough to find the rule about subordinating your race ambitions to assist another racer.

And why have some people not found the rule about subordinating the race? Because IM published a rule book that makes no mentioning whatsoever of subordinating a race. That's the rule book Lionel had read. Without two mistakes by Ironman, this incidence would never have happened, let alone our discussion about it.
This is the timeline of events:
  1. Ironman publishes a wrong rule book
  2. Jimmy R gives the green light for the draft team up
  3. Chrabot is pacing Sanders
  4. Big ST discussion, incl. Jimmy R saying his email exchange with Barry is not what he had meant

It's not too long ago that there was a long discussion about the ruels after a guy had been dq'd at an IM for peeing into a bush at the side of the road. I think it's very unfortunate that such discussions are necessary and it would be good if IM (as well as ITU, USAT and other national federations) embarked on a massive clean up of triathlon rules.
What we now have are lengthy documents containing microregulation. As a result
  • few people read the rule book(s)
  • those who read them find it hard to understand and remember all the details, includes which rule takes precedence in case of contradicting rules
  • the detailed rule wordings encourage some people to find loopholes in them

In contrast, a leaner and more principle based set of rules would
  • be read by more people
  • be understood by those who read it
  • appeal to people's common sense and sense of integrity

Achim Traut
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [heartpatient] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heartpatient wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

The ones who voted that it is not illegal I would bet have not followed this issue closely enough to find the rule about subordinating your race ambitions to assist another racer.

And why have some people not found the rule about subordinating the race? Because IM published a rule book that makes no mentioning whatsoever of subordinating a race. That's the rule book Lionel had read. Without two mistakes by Ironman, this incidence would never have happened, let alone our discussion about it.
  4. Big ST discussion, incl. Jimmy R saying his email exchange with Barry is not what he had meant

It's not too long ago that there was a long discussion about the ruels after a guy had been dq'd at an IM for peeing into a bush at the side of the road. I think it's very unfortunate that such discussions are necessary and it would be good if IM (as well as ITU, USAT and other national federations) embarked on a massive clean up of triathlon rules.
  • those who read them find it hard to understand and remember all the details, includes which rule takes precedence in case of contradicting rules

• be read by more people

Bravo. In my opinion the best points in some time in this argument.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heartpatient wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

• be read by more people

And how many years have some been asking for this?

Great write up

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [ironbill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You suggested it was time for everyone to move on... Your reasoning was "because I am right about this." That's not really moving on...
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Every time I read a post I feel like I'm smashing my head against a brick wall. In fact, I'd rather do that than read those responses. I can't take it anymore.

Quote | Reply
The whole individual vs team things often gets dragged up.

I think when addressing whether a sport is individual you might have to look at the alternative, which would be a team sport. In my opinion there is nothing in between. Either everyone wants to win themselves, or there is a willingness for some to lay down their performance on behalf of a greater good. What happens in between in the pursuit of one of those two options does not grey the area, it's the intended outcome that defines.

Regardless of whether swim drafting is legal or not the leading athletes should all be wanting to beat those drafting. If everyone wants to win the sport is clearly individual, if two or more people work together to clearly gain an ultimate advantage for an individual then they are acting as a team.

However, if tactics come into play whereby aiding someone at the start in order that this benefits you later on then this is still clearly an individual pursuit. If you can convince other people to help you win [within the rules] then fair play to you.

Cases in point.

Domestiques clearly form part of a team. They forego their chances, to aid another. They are in a team.

Macca at Kona. He put forward the idea of a way of racing that he felt absolutely benefitted him and would allow him the best chance of winning. By telling people to ride hard it was not a team effort, everyone would have happily seen every other athlete blow up. It was within the rules. He absolutely wanted to win. Everyone else absolutely wanted to win. It was an individual decision in an individual sport. He was acting utterly individually, with his own beneficial outcome in mind.

I agree that there is a difference between time trial races and pack races, but the lack of time trial format and the subsequent race dynamics does not a team sport make. Andy Potts does not work the front of the swim for the ultimate benefit of anyone else. Whether Chrabot did or not would dictate whether this became a team act or was an individual act, which I think is key when establishing whether [rules or no rules] this was in the spirit of the sport.

Dan underlines an 'abandoned ambitions' ruling. I read Matt's initial post which clearly indicated he had abandoned ambitions to win prior to the race ("How ambitious can I get if I just want to do the honor of finishing Kona while still sore and tired?") and also clearly indicated that he would assist Lionel if, at least, it was just to keep him straight in the swim ("yeah, sure. It'll be good for you since I'll swim straighter anyways")

Ambitions abandoned, yep. Athlete assisted? Arguable based on that quote alone. Matt indicated it would benefit but didn't indicate he would be doing anything different to what he intended to do anyway.

All just my opinion obviously. I am not sure there was any particular intention to break rules but, clearly, checking with the ref to see if it was legal to 'swim next to someone' meant that they knew they were doing something a bit cheeky.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Last edited by: JayPeeWhy: Oct 17, 15 18:06
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayPeeWhy wrote:

I think when addressing whether a sport is individual you might have to look at the alternative, which would be a team sport. In my opinion there is nothing in between. Either everyone wants to win themselves, or there is a willingness for some to lay down their performance on behalf of a greater good. What happens in between in the pursuit of one of those two options does not grey the area, it's the intended outcome that defines.

Regardless of whether swim drafting is legal or not the leading athletes should all be wanting to beat those drafting. If everyone wants to win the sport is clearly individual, if two or more people work together to clearly gain an ultimate advantage for an individual then they are acting as a team.

However, if tactics come into play whereby aiding someone at the start in order that this benefits you later on then this is still clearly an individual pursuit. If you can convince other people to help you win [within the rules] then fair play to you.

Cases in point.

Domestiques clearly form part of a team. They forego their chances, to aid another. They are in a team.

Macca at Kona. He put forward the idea of a way of racing that he felt absolutely benefitted him and would allow him the best chance of winning. By telling people to ride hard it was not a team effort, everyone would have happily seen every other athlete blow up. It was within the rules. He absolutely wanted to win. Everyone else absolutely wanted to win. It was an individual decision in an individual sport. He was acting utterly individually, with his own beneficial outcome in mind.

I agree that there is a difference between time trial races and pack races, but the lack of time trial format and the subsequent race dynamics does not a team sport make. Andy Potts does not work the front of the swim for the ultimate benefit of anyone else. Whether Chrabot did or not would dictate whether this became a team act or was an individual act, which I think is key when establishing whether [rules or no rules] this was in the spirit of the sport.

Dan underlines an 'abandoned ambitions' ruling. I read Matt's initial post which clearly indicated he had abandoned ambitions to win prior to the race ("How ambitious can I get if I just want to do the honor of finishing Kona while still sore and tired?") and also clearly indicated that he would assist Lionel if, at least, it was just to keep him straight in the swim ("yeah, sure. It'll be good for you since I'll swim straighter anyways")

Ambitions abandoned, yep. Athlete assisted? Arguable based on that quote alone. Matt indicated it would benefit but didn't indicate he would be doing anything different to what he intended to do anyway.

All just my opinion obviously. I am not sure there was any particular intention to break rules but, clearly, checking with the ref to see if it was legal to 'swim next to someone' meant that they knew they were doing something a bit cheeky.

I lost track of how many hundred posts have been made on this topic, not to mention private emails and phone calls, but perhaps this post alone if posted as the first post on the topic could have saved all the discussion!!!!

Best post (including front page article) on this topic.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
JayPeeWhy wrote:

Cases in point.

I lost track of how many hundred posts have been made on this topic, not to mention private emails and phone calls, but perhaps this post alone if posted as the first post on the topic could have saved all the discussion!!!!

Best post (including front page article) on this topic.

I still lots of grey area in between, but just my opinion.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good post
"work together to clearly gain an ultimate advantage for an individual"

the thing is the athletes do not really gain an advantage . Or more precise don't gain more advantage than any other athlete, can legally avail of, if they are in in a pack or paceline.

the reality in tri is, if you swim and/or cycle alone, you are more likely than not, at an disatvantage against the majority of the atheles you compete against in a sport that is supposed to be individual.

comming back to the individual

individual is a time trial where everybody is on its own
ironman is a sport that is individual but people can use other people to work of ( given its 3 differtn sports and very few athetes are really balcanced in all 3 ,its not always the best individual that wins. often we see that the best runner do no work on the bike to save energy and its likely that those people would not get the same results if it was a proper tt )
team sport is a sport with domestiques and a team member plays a role in a team and gets payed for playing this rule in a team. ( the whole team qualifies for an event not an individual )

I guess most people would consider runing an individual sport but pacer are allowed.

JayPeeWhy wrote:

Cases in point.

Last edited by: pk: Oct 18, 15 4:16
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because you can use competitors to help pace and improve your performance, doesn't make it ok to hire donestiques with the sole purpose of supporting your race. You absolutely gain an advantage by being in control of another persons effort and pacing.

Why do you think the strongest teams win in pro cycling, any single rider could latch on, right? It doesn't work that way because the team is pacing the race based on their athlete, not the random guy that latches on. They also remove the concern about pulling along a guy that can out sprint you, since the top guy knows they aren't going for the win. In the ironman example, knowing that you are pacing the swim or bike off someone who will go your pace and won't try to run past you is totally different than finding some feet or a pace line as the race progresses.

This is the point that Dan, and others, seem to be hammering home. If someone has abandoned their own race ambitions and turns into a donestiques, that is against the rules.
Last edited by: Jctriguy: Oct 18, 15 5:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
the reality in tri is, if you swim and/or cycle alone, you are more likely than not, at an disatvantage against the majority of the atheles you compete against in a sport that is supposed to be individual.
If I look at some of the greatest performances at Ironman distance races, I can only come to the conclusion that racing truly individually cannot really be as much of a disadvantage as people believe. The fastest time ever, 7:41h by Andreas Raelert in Roth 2011, was done on a 180km solo ride (I'm not quite sure how that swim went then, but I don't think he was drafting at someone's feet the whole swim).
If it wasn't for the insane heat in Frankfurt this year, his record might have been broken by Frodeno, who did the whole race solo. Kienle and Boecherer were riding together most of the bike course and were still slower than Frodo -and it wasn't for the lack of trying.

Achim Traut
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
".. individual is a time trial where everybody is on its own .."

In a time trial you face other peoples times. In fact, you are set a goal by the person that went before you, which inevitably stimulates you to a greater achievement. Even if you go first you are stimulated by the fact that others are going to try and beat your times [this is why, when doing threshold tests we adjust to account for lack of actual race conditions].

So, to that end, I could argue even further than you or the other guy, by claiming that there are absolutely no individual sports at all which have zero input from other competitors. (Edit - Fishing? Is that a sport?)

But both you and I would be arguing positions which are contrary in nature. I would argue it is the globally accepted view that sports currently considered by the majority as 'individual' are sports in which each and every competitor plans for their outcome to be as favourable as possible and a team sport would be where there was a greater good compared to the individuals performance outcome.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Last edited by: JayPeeWhy: Oct 18, 15 8:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
heartpatient wrote:
pk wrote:

If I look at some of the greatest performances at Ironman distance races, I can only come to the conclusion that racing truly individually cannot really be as much of a disadvantage as people believe. The fastest time ever, 7:41h by Andreas Raelert in Roth 2011, was done on a 180km solo ride (I'm not quite sure how that swim went then, but I don't think he was drafting at someone's feet the whole swim).
If it wasn't for the insane heat in Frankfurt this year, his record might have been broken by Frodeno, who did the whole race solo. Kienle and Boecherer were riding together most of the bike course and were still slower than Frodo -and it wasn't for the lack of trying.

This is my view as well. I think the alleged advantages of drafting off someone from 10 m back on the bike are very minimal, and possibly mainly psychological. Drafting on the swim, espec in a big pack like the 52:XX group at Kona this year, prob has more of an impact. The big disadvantage of this is that you have no guarantee of it working at every race, plus it is always very possible that the leaders could go off course. Also, in a pack of 30, if you are in the back half, then you can't even tell how big the pack is or how fast it is going, e.g. the 5 fastest guys at the front could have surged and left the other 25 behind to swim 55-ish rather than 52. Most likely, most of those guys had no idea that they were in a pack of 30, or that they'd gone 52, until exiting the swim. The best strategy is to swim lots so that you can swim 52 all on your own.

OTOH, there have been a few exceptions to this all-solo effort theory, most notably the famous "Iron War" of 1989 where Mark Allen shadowed Dave Scott for the whole swim, bike, and the first 24.2 mi of the run, and then unleashed a final sprint to win by about one minute, 8:09 to Scott's 8:10. IIRC, I think they both went 11-12 min faster than Scott's existing record of 8:21. This is kind of a special case though b/c it was fueled by Allen's frustration at leading by a big margin off the bike, but then being passed by Scott on the run, in something like 4 previous Kona races.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply

Prev Next