Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Opps, made a mistake. Guess I am human. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Opps, made a mistake. Guess I am human. :)

You make this 'mistake' in at least 10% of your posts. Please be more careful so this 'mistake' isn't repeated.

Now back on topic. Simple question...do you see a difference between drafting someone on the swim and run vs pacing off them in a mutually prearranged plan?
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [casio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
casio wrote:
Impulse-Warp wrote:
Jordan seems very active on this topic. Anything to do with Chrabot complaining to his agent after a penalty Jordan got him at Arizona?

Seems like some want to keep this topic alive due to old bad blood.

Didn't this bike penalty thing happen in Texas 2014, between Tim Reed and Rapp?

Chrabot in a recent TRS radio interview mentions how his penalty was identical in profile to the one handed down to Reed due to Rapp's bike 'tactics'. Same scenario down to them both getting a great long keyboard-warrior style email from Rapp defending himself after the event.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [Impulse-Warp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impulse-Warp wrote:
casio wrote:
Impulse-Warp wrote:
Jordan seems very active on this topic. Anything to do with Chrabot complaining to his agent after a penalty Jordan got him at Arizona?

Seems like some want to keep this topic alive due to old bad blood.

Didn't this bike penalty thing happen in Texas 2014, between Tim Reed and Rapp?

Chrabot in a recent TRS radio interview mentions how his penalty was identical in profile to the one handed down to Reed due to Rapp's bike 'tactics'. Same scenario down to them both getting a great long keyboard-warrior style email from Rapp defending himself after the event.

It was a lot easier back in the day when Mark Allen, Jimmy Riccitello, Mike Pigg, PNF etc etc were racing pro. Then if they had a beef with the behavior of one another, they would sort it out post race in person or with telephone calls 1:1 without the world peering in and watching and offering their 2 cents worth.

As a fan, this is more fun for sure.

For pros, perhaps the message is, "maybe use twitter, fb, forums, etc to tell a positive story". Conflicts and interpersonal challenges with peers might be better resolved in person than on public airwaves. Just use the public airwaves if you have to make an apology or take ownership of something. It seems that Lionel has actually handled this quite well. He responded to the public question, took ownership and that's it. He almost did it as well as a public company who makes a single, to the point public communication to the media when they are in error, and moves on. Well done.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [mattchrbt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quite frankly who cares whether Matt and Lionel worked it out that Lionel would draft Matt the entire swim. It's legal. Being a decent swimmer I have people jump on my feet all the time and draft me. Yeah, it sometimes pisses me off that they're getting a free ride but what can I do about it? The answer, swim faster and get them off my feet. But, at what cost? I've got no issues what-so-ever with people drafting on the swim. Heck, in 1997 when I was first out of the water in Hawaii, don't think for one second that I wasn't in a pace line with the professionals drafting. That's just the way the swim plays out and it's totally legal. Now, I do have one pet peeve about drafting on the swim. If you're going to do it, that's fine, but don't sit there keep hitting my feet. There's nothing more that pisses me off than that.

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in on this subject. Matt, anytime you want to pull me around for 2.4 miles, just let me know. I'd be happy to be your huckleberry!

Bruce Gennari
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's it, reduce the numbers! Only top 20 pro men and women go to Kona. Get rid of the rest so we have better visibility!
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [BGennari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGennari wrote:
Quite frankly who cares whether Matt and Lionel worked it out that Lionel would draft Matt the entire swim. It's legal. Being a decent swimmer I have people jump on my feet all the time and draft me. Yeah, it sometimes pisses me off that they're getting a free ride but what can I do about it? The answer, swim faster and get them off my feet. But, at what cost? I've got no issues what-so-ever with people drafting on the swim. Heck, in 1997 when I was first out of the water in Hawaii, don't think for one second that I wasn't in a pace line with the professionals drafting. That's just the way the swim plays out and it's totally legal. Now, I do have one pet peeve about drafting on the swim. If you're going to do it, that's fine, but don't sit there keep hitting my feet. There's nothing more that pisses me off than that.

Anyway, just thought I'd chime in on this subject. Matt, anytime you want to pull me around for 2.4 miles, just let me know. I'd be happy to be your huckleberry!

Bruce Gennari

Great post.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i totally agree with you .

i think where we differ, is that you look at the rules and try ( quite rightly so ) to defend them.
i say if the rules are bent so often, does it still make sense to have those rules, unless we invest more resourses to make the sport fairer?
thats why i say we either invest more into enforcing the rules , or at least amateur tri has to go draft legal ,bellow a certain number of marshall to athlete ratio.

Where we are in the age group race right now (itu age group worlds prob the biggest draft fest ) is in my mind the worst place we can be, its not a fair race and the people that follow the rules are penalized
i know we see know approx 200 penalities in an average ironman race but if 400 people get away with it thats not good

Slowman wrote:
"is why we are at a point many people dont consider the sport anymore an individual sport."

i saw a guy in kona last week about 10 miles out from the end of the bike leg, another guy was RIGHT on his wheel. this guy in front was zigzagging, trying to get this guy off his wheel. the guy just stayed on the other guy's wheel. it was like looking at the end of a 2-up bike race.

these 2 guys each had a very different view of where the sport is right now. you can go to certain countries and ironman racing is for all intents and purposes draft legal.

if we want to make it draft legal, fine. let's just then please change the rules and let everybody know what the behavioral expectations are.

but it's like everything else in society: do nothing and the world, and society, trends toward chaos and disorder. if you don't want chaos then you have to pump energy into the system. this whole discussion is about pumping energy into the system or acquiescing to a different standard of behavior.

maybe there is a changing going on in our sport and i represent the old guard. but this isn't like same-sex marriage, where your marriage doesn't affect my marriage. your decision to pace your wife through the bike course DOES affect my wife's race. you're forcing my wife to either hire her own domestique or divorce me and marry a faster husband. i haven't "evolved" to this more liberal view of racing yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's legal. Being a decent swimmer I have people jump on my feet all the time and draft me. Yeah, it sometimes pisses me off that they're getting a free ride but what can I do about it? //

Did you actually read what happened? This is not your garden variety of gun goes off, and then everyone gets the best feet they can. Like you say, that is just racing. What we are talking about is a pre arranged job of someone giving up their race to solely pull another(surly for payment). What you describe and what happened here are not the same thing at all. And to its legality, that seems to be in question too. Seems like there is a rule against it, but if you ask the head referee and he says OK, then I believe there is some grey area.

Let me put it to you this way, what if you were a pro and racing for a lot of money, and your competitor who was a bad swimmer paid someone to pace him on the swim and bike to catch and pass you. Then used the guy in the run for some wind block and additional pacing, and you lost by 10 seconds, and it cost you $50k. Now really put yourself in that spot, is that fair? We know it is not legal, but the exact same thing that happened here, only this was unsuccessful, and thus people seem to be putting less importance on it for that..
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we can all agree that we have covered pretty much everything when it comes to Matt / Lionel / Barry and Barrie and Jimmy. I think we should be more focused on if this is an isolated incident or if this is more common then we think. I'd like to know more about who lines up with who, fast swimmers lining up with poor swimmers and how they get to the swim exit and then what happens on the bike.

Great, we caught Lionel and Matt, Big Freak'in Deal!!!! Are they just keeping up with the Joneses or is this truly an isolated incident. We are privy to a ton of coverage online and all the swim times are posted, shouldn't take Matlock or Columbo to figure this one out.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [Phoenixrising] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think we can all agree that we have covered pretty much everything when it comes to Matt / Lionel / Barry and Barrie and Jimmy.//

I agree. But when a very well respected athlete and poster comes on here this late in the game and defends the behavior, I just wanted to point out to him what he was actually defending, just so he does not get caught up on the wrong side of this, like someone should have done for Matt before he hit post. (-;
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty,

Do we actually know if Matt was paid to lead out Lionel in the swim? I find that pretty hard to believe. And I know for a fact that people, when it comes to the swim, are looking for me before the swim begins. There are swimmers out there that are decent and have no problem staying in my wake and keeping up. You do realize this happens all the time. Look at some of the better than average women swimmers sitting on men's feet during the swim. This happens ALL THE TIME. What's the difference if they discussed this before hand or not? It's still bound to happen. Now, if someone call tell me without a shadow of a doubt that Matt was paid to pull Lionel around, well, that's a horse of a different color and I'm totally not down with that. But, if Matt and Lionel just had a conversation about Lionel shadowing Matt around the entire swim course, well, big deal, who is to say it wouldn't have happened anyway? It was either going to be Matt's feet or somebody else's feet. Case in point, in 1998 Jody Jackson set the women's swim record at that time. I think she swam 48:48. During that time she was in a pace line of men (which included myself) for over 60 percent of the time. This was when age group competitors started just 50 meters behind the professionals and we all went off at once. You can't tell me that her whole strategy in the swim was to catch and draft the men for as long as she could. Jody actually did this to perfection until she made the choice to attempt to come around us with over 800 meters to go. She tried to break free from the pack. She couldn't do it and was re-shuffled back to the back of the pace line. During that swim the rules were much like NASCAR. You can try to pass but if you fail, you're going to the back of the line. NOBODY is going to let you into their spot in the pace line. It was actually kind of funny watching her try to push her way into the front of the pace line. Every dude swimming was telling her, NOPE, get to the back of the line (including myself). I actually ended up getting out 3rd that year in 48:34. Again, Jody was 48:48. She set the record that year. Should she not have got the record because she drafted? Again, to me this is just race tactics. Because the swim is such a small part of the overall race, I really don't think it has a whole lot of bearing on who the best will be on that day. Now, I certainly believe that if you have an exceptionally slow swim that it could cost you the race as you won't be able to get into the "group dynamic" on the bike but a marginally slow swim isn't going to hurt you. I believe Lionel is a good swimmer and the benefit he received from Matt was negligible. That's my opinion and you know what they say about those.

Now, as far as how would I feel about losing out $50k to people that completely skirted the rules on the swim, bike and run to beat me. I'd freaking hate it and would have a huge problem with it. But, I have never heard of a lot of this going on in our sport. I believe that most people who participate in triathlon do so to see how far they can push their own limits. Well, that's my hope anyways. I know that why I try and do.

Love the debate here. Finally something I can actually discuss. Lord knows my biking or running skills can't ever enter into the equation.

Be safe out there boys and girls!

Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BGennari wrote:
Monty,

Do we actually know if Matt was paid to lead out Lionel in the swim? I find that pretty hard to believe. And I know for a fact that people, when it comes to the swim, are looking for me before the swim begins. There are swimmers out there that are decent and have no problem staying in my wake and keeping up. You do realize this happens all the time. Look at some of the better than average women swimmers sitting on men's feet during the swim. This happens ALL THE TIME. What's the difference if they discussed this before hand or not? It's still bound to happen. Now, if someone call tell me without a shadow of a doubt that Matt was paid to pull Lionel around, well, that's a horse of a different color and I'm totally not down with that. But, if Matt and Lionel just had a conversation about Lionel shadowing Matt around the entire swim course, well, big deal, who is to say it wouldn't have happened anyway? It was either going to be Matt's feet or somebody else's feet. Case in point, in 1998 Jody Jackson set the women's swim record at that time. I think she swam 48:48. During that time she was in a pace line of men (which included myself) for over 60 percent of the time. This was when age group competitors started just 50 meters behind the professionals and we all went off at once. You can't tell me that her whole strategy in the swim was to catch and draft the men for as long as she could. Jody actually did this to perfection until she made the choice to attempt to come around us with over 800 meters to go. She tried to break free from the pack. She couldn't do it and was re-shuffled back to the back of the pace line. During that swim the rules were much like NASCAR. You can try to pass but if you fail, you're going to the back of the line. NOBODY is going to let you into their spot in the pace line. It was actually kind of funny watching her try to push her way into the front of the pace line. Every dude swimming was telling her, NOPE, get to the back of the line (including myself). I actually ended up getting out 3rd that year in 48:34. Again, Jody was 48:48. She set the record that year. Should she not have got the record because she drafted? Again, to me this is just race tactics. Because the swim is such a small part of the overall race, I really don't think it has a whole lot of bearing on who the best will be on that day. Now, I certainly believe that if you have an exceptionally slow swim that it could cost you the race as you won't be able to get into the "group dynamic" on the bike but a marginally slow swim isn't going to hurt you. I believe Lionel is a good swimmer and the benefit he received from Matt was negligible. That's my opinion and you know what they say about those.

Now, as far as how would I feel about losing out $50k to people that completely skirted the rules on the swim, bike and run to beat me. I'd freaking hate it and would have a huge problem with it. But, I have never heard of a lot of this going on in our sport. I believe that most people who participate in triathlon do so to see how far they can push their own limits. Well, that's my hope anyways. I know that why I try and do.

Love the debate here. Finally something I can actually discuss. Lord knows my biking or running skills can't ever enter into the equation.

Be safe out there boys and girls!

Bruce

Great data and analysis

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI - The discussion thus far has established: Matt and Lionel discussed and agreed that Matt would help him (Lionel and Lionel's coach have both posted such in statement in a different thread), and that one athlete subordinating their race to another is against the rules.... I think that is about it.

I'm guessing you are not saying that you know that and think it is OK for athletes to break the rules. So maybe you think this is a rule that needs changed? It is OK for one athlete to be in the race for the exclusive utility of the other, across age groups, pro/age-group, or otherwise? Not just have someone on their feet (as you discuss), but a known pace-setter, sighter, etc. Further, if you go down that path, that could span to nutrition hand-ups. Maybe even "front running" to get "the right stuff" from an aid station, then handing that to the athlete.

It is a very slippery slope to say, in an individual sport, that it is OK to have one athlete who is really just there for the specific aid of another. In this case that has been established

I think that is the point. This is not a conversation about drafting in the swim. Now you should be up to speed.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul Dunn wrote:
FYI - The discussion thus far has established: Matt and Lionel discussed and agreed that Matt would help him (Lionel and Lionel's coach have both posted such in statement in a different thread), and that one athlete subordinating their race to another is against the rules.... I think that is about it.

I'm guessing you are not saying that you know that and think it is OK for athletes to break the rules. So maybe you think this is a rule that needs changed? It is OK for one athlete to be in the race for the exclusive utility of the other, across age groups, pro/age-group, or otherwise? Not just have someone on their feet (as you discuss), but a known pace-setter, sighter, etc. Further, if you go down that path, that could span to nutrition hand-ups. Maybe even "front running" to get "the right stuff" from an aid station, then handing that to the athlete.

It is a very slippery slope to say, in an individual sport, that it is OK to have one athlete who is really just there for the specific aid of another. In this case that has been established

I think that is the point. This is not a conversation about drafting in the swim. Now you should be up to speed.

Why do so many keep trying to say this is an individual sport. Never has been, never will be. The rules do not support this.

If it were individual, there would be no swim drafting, no mass starts.

There would be no bike zone as today which does allow some legal drafting.

If you started a sport and say it was going to be 100% individual, no way would you end up with the set of rules we have today.

Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [Paul Dunn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'm missing something. Are you saying, the only reason Matt is in this race is to guide Lionel through the swim???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt, great podcast and good luck with your next races !

Swim pacing is nothing new - 20 years ago there was a local surf lifesaver backstroking the local IM favorite to a handy bike lead. I can remember some twins and brothers and country team mates in kona history that clearly paced eachother on the swim. How many other planned swim alliances go under the radar? probably lots in the swarm of unplanned ones that happen at every triathlon.

Ever since there was draft legal racing and the athletes were moving on to long course - there was a lot of talk about if long course could benefit from team style ITU tactics - team racing and swim rabbits etc - and if this would be a more modern face of Triathlon. People asked if Lance was going to hire a pacer pack. When Trek racing started the team with Kswiss the first question was if they could benefit from team race tactics. When the Raelerts were offered a million bucks to come first and second - people wondered if they might hire a leadout swimmer. It wouldn't surprise me if there might come a day when triathletes race as teams or at least swim with a pacer.

Its just hard to convince a kona qualifier to sandbag thier race for someone else - just not enough dollars !
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [Phoenixrising] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phoenixrising wrote:
I think I'm missing something. Are you saying, the only reason Matt is in this race is to guide Lionel through the swim???

No. I'm saying that it has been established that Matt did have a role in the swim that was to lead Lionel, and that beyond the fact it is against the current rules, accepting that behavior in all segments could lead to a very different sport.

2015 USAT Long Course National Champion (M50-54)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bruce,

You're talking about swim drafting of relatively compatible swimmers. This scenario was quite a bit different. You've got Matt, who swam 40:50 at IMCHOO (compared to your 42:23) yet followed that up with 61 minutes at Kona. Needless to say if he had been swimming honestly he'd have been in the low 50s at Kona. But he wasn't swimming honestly; he had agreed to pace Lionel at Kona and paced him to a 61. Swimming out of the pro wave, it is probably unlikely that Lionel would have found other feet to draft at that speed, so Matt was certainly planned assistance so that he would not be abandoned out there all alone while the front pack swimmers all benefited from the typical racing draft. Maybe that's cool and good strategy and good planning to seek out a domestique ahead of time. I think most find that it goes against the spirit of individual competition, if not the rules (though it seems pretty clear to be against the rules too).
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Bruce,

You're talking about swim drafting of relatively compatible swimmers. This scenario was quite a bit different. You've got Matt, who swam 40:50 at IMCHOO (compared to your 42:23) yet followed that up with 61 minutes at Kona. Needless to say if he had been swimming honestly he'd have been in the low 50s at Kona. But he wasn't swimming honestly; he had agreed to pace Lionel at Kona and paced him to a 61. Swimming out of the pro wave, it is probably unlikely that Lionel would have found other feet to draft at that speed, so Matt was certainly planned assistance so that he would not be abandoned out there all alone while the front pack swimmers all benefited from the typical racing draft. Maybe that's cool and good strategy and good planning to seek out a domestique ahead of time. I think most find that it goes against the spirit of individual competition, if not the rules (though it seems pretty clear to be against the rules too).

Can you please some data and facts to support your and others statement "I think most find that is goes ......"

The data from the poll clearly do not support this statement, or can I no count? :)

And where is the rules is this "spirit of individual competition" With swam drafting legal, I continue to believe there are just a few (percentage wise) feeling this way, since the rules, swim mass starts, etc make no logical sense
to support this, IMO.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You sir, are a thread killer, and when I see your posts start to appear I tend to check out. And, thus, adios.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"i say if the rules are bent so often, does it still make sense to have those rules"

in every human endeavor every society, and every individual in that society, has to decide what its core values are. once it decides this, it's got to constantly inject energy into the system.

so, let's take this forum. civility is a core value of mine. i've decided that's it's going to be a hallmark of this forum. so, civility and free expression always must be in balance, rather than reddit-style unbridled free expression. it's a lot cheaper and easier to let free expression be your core value.

if your core value in triathlon is its status as an individual sport, then you have to inject energy into keeping it that way. because meanness on reader forums and unauthorized assistance and bike drafting in triathlon will increase if you don't inject energy into keeping it at bay.

you're right, at some point you just have an ill-conceived core value, like prohibition, or the war on drugs, or mandatory minimum sentences for non-violent crimes. and you're right, if you have a core value and you intend on maintaining it you can't pump it up to 70psi if what you really need to keep it at bay is 120psi.

i think the rules we have right now in ironman racing are pretty good. i'm reply to your post right now because i think energy needs to be pumped into the system and this is me pumping energy.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I still don't know this answer: Was it cheating for Lionel & Matt to do this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BGennari wrote:

Bruce Gennari

Actually it is illegal. Your examples are not comparable to what happened. The rules explicitly state that one cannot subordinate their race goals in order to assist another racer. Matt was slowing down, looking back, making sure he did not drop Lionel. He was not just swimming his own race and Lionel happened to be drafting him, which would be legal. I believe Lionel was suckered into this by his coach who was pretty manipulative in all of this, with both Lionel, probably Matt and Jimmy as well with that email.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot/Sanders Swim [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
You sir, are a thread killer, and when I see your posts start to appear I tend to check out. And, thus, adios.

So you are willing to make statements but when asked to back it up with facts and data, ...

Quote Reply

Prev Next