Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What happened to Lew Hollander?
Quote | Reply
The tracker showed him with some run splits, then some blanks, then more splits. He had a split at the 25.3 marker. Is it possible he made it to within a mile and DNF'ed? He had over an hour to go.

For those who only know the pro names and not the normal mortals, Lew is 85 years old. DNF'ed in 2014, has 23 Kona finishes.

===================================
I'll tell you all right now, my seat is too low, I'm not aero and I carry too much fluid on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to Lew Hollander? [RunFatboyRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any news on Lew?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any news on Lew?
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to Lew Hollander? [dmburg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he has a finishing time. i hope its true.

Lew Hollander
02:04:23
08:00:04
00:00:00
15:59:41
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to Lew Hollander? [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't totally understand the cut off times but I think you only have 8 hrs to finish the bike. He would be 4 seconds to slow. Did they tell him half way through the run that he missed the bike cutoff?
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to Lew Hollander? [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FuzzyRunner wrote:
I don't totally understand the cut off times but I think you only have 8 hrs to finish the bike. He would be 4 seconds to slow. Did they tell him half way through the run that he missed the bike cutoff?

Athlete's guide says you have 10 hours and 30 minutes from your start time to finish the bike, so unless he had a horrible T1, he should have gotten off the bike with a few minutes to spare.

Spot

Quote | Reply
RunFatboyRun wrote:
The tracker showed him with some run splits, then some blanks, then more splits. He had a split at the 25.3 marker. Is it possible he made it to within a mile and DNF'ed? He had over an hour to go.

For those who only know the pro names and not the normal mortals, Lew is 85 years old. DNF'ed in 2014, has 23 Kona finishes.

i logged on just for this update. Hope we get one soon. Hope it is not a DNF.
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to Lew Hollander? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's really pretty odd....he's showing up on the website with a finishing number, but has no run split and listed with a whole bunch of other people without a run split, and their times aren't in order. If you search for just his result, his finishing time is listed as "predicted."

Spot

Quote | Reply
Hmmm...missing run splits? Can't wait for this Twitch Hunt!

/pink

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to Lew Hollander? [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
says he finished.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...scend-on-Hawaii.html

American Lew Hollander reaffirmed his place as the oldest man to complete an Ironman triathlon at the age of 85.
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to Lew Hollander? [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

/pink

The equipment near the energy lab wasn't working. I think everyone splits there were missing. The electronics must have melted in the heat. My watch had 98-100F on the Queen K. Once the overcast rolled in, it dropped to 91F!!!

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's pretty damn incredible he can do a full in those conditions. Most his age are in nursing homes eating jello and watching re-runs of Hawaii 5-O.........or six feet under.
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to Lew Hollander? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My watch hit 102f at one point! Ambient temp on the road was 130f according to the race officials!!! What a day.
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to Lew Hollander? [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
It's pretty damn incredible he can do a full in those conditions. Most his age are in nursing homes eating jello and watching re-runs of Hawaii 5-O.........or six feet under.

He's an outlier, that's for sure. Also, a tremendous inspiration.
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to Lew Hollander? [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
says he finished.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...scend-on-Hawaii.html

American Lew Hollander reaffirmed his place as the oldest man to complete an Ironman triathlon at the age of 85.

I sure hope this is correct. SO much winning if it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Power13 wrote:

/pink

The equipment near the energy lab wasn't working. I think everyone splits there were missing. The electronics must have melted in the heat. My watch had 98-100F on the Queen K. Once the overcast rolled in, it dropped to 91F!!!

Here is my guess about what was going on with those timing stations. Those units need to be out there from around 2 pm till 11 pm or so and are baking in the sun. Like any electronics, when you run "hot" you also use more power for every transaction (I don't want to get into a discussion of semiconductor junction temperatures, as it could turn into a PhD thesis topic). So those stations would be out there the longest and running the hottest and at some point, they might just run out of juice. That's just my conjecture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lew was one of the people being tracked for the NBC telecast, and was outfitted with one of the Quarq racing GPS trackers (https://www.quarqrace.com/...378&category=NBC).
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to Lew Hollander? [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They don't make crackas like Lew no mo', that's for sure.

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to Lew Hollander? [bobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any news? i don't believe "The Telegraph", any suggest from ironman.com?
I hope he has done it, but I find no "real" results.
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to Lew Hollander? [Adj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Results from Ironman.com are weird also:

http://www.ironman.com/...s.aspx#axzz3oIPdfDsx

Someone mentioned it looked like he made it to the 25.3 mile mark, and then nothing after that...which would be a massive shame.
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to Lew Hollander? [Adj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adj wrote:
Any news? i don't believe "The Telegraph", any suggest from ironman.com?
I hope he has done it, but I find no "real" results.

He is listed as DNF in the IM results

http://www.ironman.com/...mpionship&y=2015
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:

At least we now know how Julie Miller was going to pull her miraculous run split. Unfortunately no-one told her conspirator that she wasn't attending.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DNF. https://twitter.com/iron_lew

No as per my question on the other thread in the listed 83 yr old japanese man the oldest now or is that dec 31 age and was lew the oldest at 82?
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to Lew Hollander? [joggernut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The online results must have some sort of problem. I know a guy who finished (got a message from his daughter at the finish line) and it shows him stopped at 17.8 and a DNF at the top. Another friend texted me that he had a rough day but finished, and it shows DNF for him too. Not sure what's up with that . . . maybe sports stats will chime in.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: What happened to Lew Hollander? [bobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bobo wrote:
They don't make crackas like Lew no mo', that's for sure.

-bobo

LMFAO!
Quote Reply

Prev Next