Prev Next
Re: What is your schedule? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4:45 - 5:00 alarm goes off, hit the snooze button over and over

5:15 - 6:30 morning workout

6:30-7:15 shower, get dressed

7:15-7:30 breakfast

7:45 - 8:45 take the train to work

9:00 - 6:00 (except fridays when I leave at noon)

6:15 - 7:15 take the train home

7:30 snack

8:00 - 9:30 second workout

10:00 - 10:30 dinner

10:20 - 12:00 email, ST ... scope out my competition for next year

12:30 off to bed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4:00-4:30 -- wake-up

4:30 - 5:30 -- Am workout (run or bike)

5:30 - 6:45 -- get ready, get kids ready for school/daycare

7:15 -- 2:45 -- work (teacher)

3:00 -- 4:00 - 4:30 -- PM workout

4:00 -- 5:00 pick up kids & play

5:00 -- 5:30 get dinner ready (or at least help)

5:30-6:00 eat

6:00 -- 7:30 family time

7:30 -- 8:00 bath time

8:00 -- 9:00 read & bed time

9:00 -- 12:00 get everything ready for next day (iron clothes, food prep, training bag prep) and any school prep that needs done. Perhaps some XBOX if I feel like it. Sometimes make it to bed earlier than that. Not usually.

Check internet during transitions. =) We're usually pretty busy.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two things that impress me about this thread are

1) how little people sleep

2) how much responsibility guys seem to take for their kids

I know several outsiders to the sport who see triathletes as a bunch of hard-ons who train obsessively to get away from their families, but I don't see any evidence of that here. If anything, you guys seem to be more committed than the average citizen, and maybe it's the commitment to excellence as much as the competition itself that drives the core of the sport.

I have been a single father raising a girl for about 13 years now, and women (who do all the childcare) and men (who do none of it) that I know all marvel at this. It just seems normal to me to do what you need to do, and to do it with as much heart as you can.

I'm glad to see so much of it out there in ST land.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your schedule? [Trey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) how little people sleep

Sleep isn't on the list of "Things I want to Accomplish During My Lifetime".

2) how much responsibility guys seem to take for their kids

IMO, this comes from having a busy schedule. When you are "with" your kids, you are really engaged with them and take advantage of the time you do have with them. I know quite a few folks that are around their kids more, but don't seem to really do much with their kids. I know folks that when it's their turn to "babysit" (<-- their word ... as if you babysit your own darn kids), it involves running to the video store to get 2 movies for their kids to watch (versus actually doing something with them).

One thing that works out well for me, is if I am on the trainer in the evening (waking up doesn't always happen at the planned time), my son is with me in the basement playing with the dogs, drawing pics of power rangers or we're watching Batman (now on the 3rd season). Sometimes, we play home-run derby (MVP BB 05-XBOX) or Batman (XBOX) while I ride. My wife and I seem to have a pretty good rotation of each of us having individual time, individual time with one kid, time with both kids, and time as a family (The self-described Fantastic Four). We all get to develop relationships with each individual, and as a group.

As I mentioned before (in previous threads). I had to decide to [1] become a morning trainer, or [2] give up the sport ... at least not prepare for it how I would prefer.

It's worked out rather well. Recently my wife has taken on training for a 1/2Mary, so she wakes up at 4AM some days, and on those days she gets the kids ready and takes them in ... so I get to sleep until 5AM .... which doesn't necessarily mean I get more sleep ... more like stay up a little later (like tonight).

For the most part, we've given up TV ... and I don't think any of us really miss it.

=======================
Quote Reply
Re: What is your schedule? [mileader] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. At this time of year it's lots of anaerobic overdistance work. Long and boring. BTW, I race draft legal so have to hammer the swim so I'm not in no-man's land on the bike.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Living in small western CDN city and "working" for gov't gives me TIME to train, a low cost of living, virtually no commute time (I live about 8 blocks from work, don't own a car and walk the 10 minutes to work everyday) and oh ya, did i mention time to train. It also helps to have grown kids. Kids are 20 (lives with mom) and 22 lives on his own FINALLY!

Off-Season Schedule

7 AM - get up, shit, shave and shower

7:30 - at the office, coffee, breaky and ST

8-12 "work"

t & th 12-1 masters swim - 1 block from work (m/w/f - core strength)

1-4:30 "work"

t & th 5:30-7 coach track (13 and unders) - it's like herding cats, but a hellish good time (m/w/f goof off, pilates, maybe go for a run)

7:30 eat in front of tv

8:30-10 surf

10 bed

11 PM Sleep

That's a recipe for success, but not getting rich!

Rick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Up at 6, train, get into uni early to do some marking, check e-mails (normally 100's), lecture 2-3 hours per day, do some research, normally leave work at 4 to train again, in the evening either rest or hit the locaility for some social engagements !
Quote Reply
Re: What is your schedule? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've discovered the "secret" - giving up TV.

I haven't seen an actual network television show in more than three years. This may seem insignificant to some, but I was raised in a household where the TV was always on. The day's activities were always performed with the goal of "on the couch by 8:00 pm for prime-time" as the ultimate reward.

My wife, through several years of oppressive, relentless nagging, helped me kick the habit, and I love her even more for it.

There's absolutely no way I'd ever be able to consistently exercise, or more importantly, spend any REAL time with my kids if I was devoted to one of the countless verions of CSI, Law & Order, reality blah, blah, blah.....

Whenever sopmeone asks me how I have time to exercise I always tell them the same thing: the first step is to turn off your television.

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Re: What is your schedule? [tryemdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn skippy, we cancelled our cableabout 8 months ago and don't miss it (still can get CBC for HNIC ;-)). Lots more time in the day now.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4:30 a.m. Wake

4:45 a.m. feed Trixie and Trigger

4:50 a.m. feed me

5:00 a.m. make tea

6:00 a.m. get wife out of door

6:05-8:45-ish (depending on day) internet

8:45-sh- 10 or 11:45 ish (depending on day) ride, run, or fabricate carbon fibre

10:30 - noon-ish shower

11:00- 13:00-ish (depending on day) go to work

19-21:00 get home

21:00- 22:00 eat

22:00-02:00 have sex

02:00- 4:30 sleep
Quote Reply
Re: What is your schedule? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have cable still since my wife enjoys some of the shows...I tend to walk away...but one thing I love is HNIC and now with hockey back, I can't get enough of TSN, SportsNet, Leafs TV, etc...it seems to have taken over for me.

Good athletes train when they want to, great athletes train when they don't......

Quote Reply
Re: What is your schedule? [Trey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried to get more sleep. I used to only get about 4-5 hours a night and have now made a point of trying to get a minimum of 6 and hopefully 7 (Masters practice going until 10.30pm on some night makes it tough when I have to be up at 5am the next morning).

As for time with my daughter...that was one thing I said I would never sacrifice training for tri's. So I have become an early morning trainer or an after bedtime trainer. When she's up and I'm home, my time is dedicated to her and my wife. I find that since I have somewhat scheduled my life around family, training and work that it makes it more important to ensure that all my time spent with family is quality time. Friends that have kids and are around them all the time seem to not enjoy being parents and can't wait to get the kids to the grandparents for the night...I don't get it. She's just too much fun!

Good athletes train when they want to, great athletes train when they don't......

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I'll bite......

445 - Alarm goes off. Hit snooze.
446 - Cat jumps on me. Throw cat off
447 - Cat jumps on me. Throw cat off.
etc ect ad nauseum until....
0455 Snooze alarm goes off. Get up
455-530 Feed cats, snack, evacuate bowels etc.
545-715 (MWF swim, TTH run to gym and do full body workout, then run home)
715 -815 Clean up, eat breakfast nap alittle maybe.
815-900 Work Commute
900-1400 Look Busy(some days more than others anyway)
1400-1430 Eat lunch
1430-1700 Look Busy
1700-1745 Drive home
1800-1930 M: Soccer. TWTh: Class until 1930 (up to 2100 on W)
2000-2300 Homework, Watch L&O: CI or Red Wings game. Usually a combo of all 3.
2330 Bed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
6:00am - 7:00am - workout

7-8:30 - DOWNTIME. breakfast, WSJ, whatever.

9:00 - at desk

12:00 - slowtwitch etc with lunch, hit driving range. DOWNTIME.

7:00pm - leave office

7pm - 11pm - fun with the wife.

11pm - out.

current training plan: one hour a day, every day gives a boy a 35 minute 10k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1AM - Wake up and go to depot to assemble and bag papers.
1:30-5AM Deliver papers, (I have 2 routes, that's why it takes longer)
5AM - Shower, take 1 hr nap.
6AM - Up to get kids ready, fed, dropped off to daycare and commute to work by 8AM
8-5 - Fulltime job.
6PM Home, help feed kids, clean, play baths, errands, bed time stories, etc until 9PM
9PM - Hope to God kids go down quick so I can get 4 hrs of sleep before starting again at 1AM the next day. Will by-pass sleep if wife is in the mood.
1AM - Second verse, same as the first.
Jamma.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5:30 am wake up as wife gets up for work
5:30 - 6:30 doze or be pummelled by kids, depending on whether they are sleeping or not
6:30 - 8:00 get kids dressed, fed, and prepped for school
8:00 - 8:20 older boy goes in carpool to school, play with younger
8:20 - 9:00 drive younger to school, self to work
9:00 - 6:00 pm work, with an hour for a lunchtime workout.
6:20 - 7:00 home, dinner with kids
7:00 - 8:30 bathtime for kids, stories, brush teeth, more stories
8:30 - 9:00 herd kids into bed and try to keep them there
9:00 - 9:45 clean up kitchen/house, pack lunches
9:45 - 10:30 pay bills/do laundry/household chores/work on bike/unpack and repack workout bag
10:30 - 10:45 read
11:00pm collapse

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
05:30-06:00 - get up get dressed, bike to the pool (MWF, TTh, sleep in til 6:00)
06:00-07:00 - MWF Swim - then bike to work; TTh - eat, pull stuff together, bike to work
07:00-07:30 - Shower and get ready for work
07:30-11:30 - Work
11:30-12:30 - Noon workout
12:30-13:00 - shower and get dressed, and back to office
13:00-18:30 - Work
18:30-19:00 - bike home
19:00-23:00 - time with the wife
23:00-5:30 - sleep

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During the week on tuesdays-thursdays

2-3AM Give bottle to baby if its my turn or the wife is tired

6:30AM wake up, shower, dress, etc

7:30-8AM give bottle to baby, walk the dog

8:30AM breakfast and out to work

WORK ALL DAY

7-7:30PM Arrive from work, change

7:45-8PM RUN WORKOUT for about 45min

9PM Spend time with the Family

Saturdays and Sundays

2-3 AM Give bottle to baby

6:15AM Wake up, get ready

6:45AM out the door for cycling

7:30 to ???? CYCLING WORKOUT 3 to 5 hours.

After that is all good to run errands, be with the fam, watch TV, sleep..... whatever

Peace

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All these posts and only one - bunnyman - inlcudes sex.

Scary group.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your schedule? [angry swimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey i said .......whatever at the end of my post. That could actually include some loving, but point well taken seems that everyone is too busy training :)

peace

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M,Tu,Th...

Get up 4-6AM...usually depends on the kid
4-5AM Possibly workout
5AM-8:20AM Eat, feed kid, shower while kid tries to open curtain and dive in.
8:20-8:30 Drop kid off at Baby sitter.
8:30-5:00 - Work. Including run to customers, post on ST, draw funny cartoons, babysit people, janitorial duties human resources, accounting etc etc.
5:00-7:00 Workout
7:00-8:00 Eat, run after naked kid in hall, bath kid, wife puts kid to sleep.
8:00-11:00 Misc, go to sleep.

Wed - Watch kid from Son up to 5:30-6PM. Try to take him to Y so I can get a workout in, pick up daughter at school. Same evening.

Fri same except drop kid off at Wifes work so she can take him to "Mom's" group.

Sat/Sun are all screwed up and some days, like yesterday, include much less sleep and more watch kid.

Like Put kid to sleep 8PM, Kid wakes up 11PM because of stuffed up nose, wife watches. Wife comes to bed claiming "I must get some sleep". I watch kid from 12:30 Running around house asking for food, screeming like a banshee with various items in tow. Kid finally goes to sleep 3AM...then gets up again at 5:30AM...wife leaves at 6AM I watch kid.

I don't know how you people survive on 5-6hrs sleep. I'm a complete freakin zombie whith anything less than 7 or so.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: What is your schedule? [brucewayne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Up @ 0530

Shower, dress, pack food for the day

Out the door @ 0600

Start work @ 0630

0900 snack

1100 lunch

1400 snack

1500 leave work

1530-1630 or 1700 work out

1800 dinner

2000 snack

2130 bed

rinse and repeat!![/reply]

When do you go out in the BATMOBILE? What exactly is your relationship with Robin?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your schedule? [angry swimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's probably the only one that not actually getting any. =)

It is possible to get laid, have sex, make love, etc and not talk about it on a message board. Really, I've done it before ... twice.

=======================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5:00 wake

5:01 - 5:15 work

5:30 - 7:00 swim practice

7:15 - 10:30 work

10:31 - 10:00pm Live life to the fullest. Most days include a ride, run, lunch, dinner. Ski most days depending on snow conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your schedule? [mileader] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what the internet is for. Any "network" show we want to watch (yes there are a few) we d/l the next day. Watch it with zero commercials on our Xbox. Beautiful solution.

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply

Prev Next