Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just went on the P1 Site and it seems that some options, colors have changed?

Are the stock colors, (7.5) changing as well for 2016?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [donzist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty common for the palettes on P1 and stock bikes to change every year.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Pretty common for the palettes on P1 and stock bikes to change every year.

I figured, I was asking because I saw a UK pic of a new 7.5 in white and was wondering if those colors would also be stateside. They are not on the trek website (yet?). I am planning on uprading my 2011 7.0 for next season.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [donzist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Major website overhaul scheduled to go live in September in conjunction with Trek Connect...I imagine all the new colors will show up at that time.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Carl,

I just built a 2015 SC9 with Dura-Ace Di2. I've ridden it twice and it runs great. It went together smoothly so I was surprised when I was finished and I had a couple of extra parts left over (see attached photo). Can you tell me what these parts are for, where they go, and if I need them?

Also, I rode from Newport Beach to Solana Beach yesterday and the draft box popped open no less than 3 times. Is there a special technique to keeping it from popping open over bumps at high speed?

Thanks.

Brad
Last edited by: MrBrad: Aug 5, 15 21:49
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [MrBrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Brad-

Photo didn't come through.

On the draftbox lid question, the first thing I'd check is that yours is the latest design...should have four squared-off tabs like this:

Then, make sure you've got that small tab at the forward edge fully engaged in the slot on the box before closing the lid...sometimes it seems like it's in there when it's not. Likewise check that the main tab at the rear has fully engaged once the lid is closed. Finally, when the lid is closed there should be no gaps all the way around the lid...there's a small ridge on the upper rim of the main compartment that should not be visible when the lid is closed.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Carl. I have the box with the tabs on the lid. I ran a piece of electrical tape across the top and down both sides before a fast paced group ride this morning and it worked perfectly.

Below are my extra parts. What are these for?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the top:

Bar bumps...optional. ..you can put them under your bar tape out by the brake levers if it makes you feel more secure when you're on the basebar.

Middle left, that's the stem pinch nut and bolt...they need to be installed.

Middle right, those look like the stem cover bolts.

Bottom, that's something I've never seen before. ..but it looks like a patch kit.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl wrote:
Middle left, that's the stem pinch nut and bolt...they need to be installed.

Scary. That needs to be corrected ASAP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carl. That's good news since I installed the stem pinch bolt and stem cover bolts so those are literally extra parts. I ordered an extra stem of a different size so maybe they came from that part. I like the idea of the bar bumps so I will install them.

This bike was really easy to build save for the lack of documentation for Di2. For a first time builder like me it was a little confusing to know what was not needed for the electronic build since the bike came pre-configured for mechanical. One inducement for me purchasing this frameset was your support on this forum and it works great.

Below is a picture of the final build.

Thanks again.

Brad

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

I'm continuing to truly enjoy my P1 SC and have recently set a couple PRs on it.

What's the current thinking on preventing cable rattles after these comments in April, and more specifically (rear) brake cable noise (mine is Di2) in the (UCI) base bar? I've seen comments about donuts and cable ties, trying longer cables (to push as much housing as possible into the bar to wedge it in place?) and shorter cables (to pull them taught?). Trial and error is a bit of a challenge given the configuration. Is there a technique to a priori cable length/positioning to make it rattle-free?

Thanks,
Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [Quattroporte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Housing length adjustment is the most effective method I've found...and specifically, going shorter vs going longer. One of the easier ways to cutting that back to where it's fluthis in small amounts is to remove the brake cables and then the brake levers...you will probably have a short section of housing protruding from the bullhorns...cutting that back until it's flush and reinstalling everything is the next step.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 9.5 after IMBST......very happy with it

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a decent deal on a 7.5 frame at an LBS while getting a fitting and had a couple questions as this will be my first tri bike or bike build. These may be below newb level so I apologize. Assembly seems pretty straight forward, but these are the areas I was confused on...

1. I was reading the '14 manual and it says for the front derailleur that you need to use the spherical washer. It lists in the parts list as only for 9-series, but does not differentiate in the actual assembly steps. I'm assuming my 7-series' riveted on hangar would just use the washer supplied with the front derailleur? My frame didn't come with this part in the parts bag.

2. I plan to do Di2 on the bike, but have the aluminum seat post. I am currently on the road with work so "measured" it with the ruler on my phone and it seems like it will be big enough to one of the cylindrical SM-BTR2 batteries. Does anyone have any experience putting one of these in the aluminum seat tubes? If it's too small I'd imagine you could just wrap it and friction fit it.
Last edited by: BrandonS: Aug 16, 15 1:45
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [BrandonS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi BrandonS

welcome aboard!

1) correct, the special washer is only for the 9-series with the carbon FD hanger

2) or get one of the carbon SC posts and Di2 battery bracket. certainly there are people who may have made it work in the aluminum post, but no guarantees.

Carl Matson
Last edited by: Carl: Aug 16, 15 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick response Carl. Would you happen to know the PN for the skewers that are shaped to go with the Speed Concept. I did not receive those; maybe a 9-series only thing, but I figure if I have to buy skewers may as well get ones that go with the bike. TIA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same! I got my bike from the shop with a rear trainer skewer when I know I dropped the wheelset off with both SC9 skewers for the initial build.

Head Coach Grn Mchn Multisports Coaching, LLC
http://www.grnmchnmultisports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for Ti:
W329030 front
W329031 rear

for steel:
W327469 front
W327470 rear

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a bag that goes in the draft box? I know my 2013 came with one, but my new project one 9.9 does have it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, I'm sure this has been answered, I just couldn't find it in a quick look.

What are the pad range and full range numbers measuring on the fit guide? Is the mid pad the setting on the middle of mono for the pad holder and the other ranges are when you change which set of holes the pad holder is in? Just want to clarify.
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [trainhard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope...no bag, and it's out of production...no stock anywhere that I know of.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here you go :-)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you da man. My Slowtwitch searching fu is obviously lacking today
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One last question for the day.

Is the medium far stem and ergo long spec'd on the medium frame?

What mono spacer comes with the medium 7 series frameset?
Quote Reply
Re: 2014 Speed Concept? [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup, ergo long and medium-far stem come with medium frames. all monospacers come with framesets.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next