Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What to do with The Great Floridian? [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The results keep changing too!! Just like the course!

It is hilarious how how little integrity this race has.

Still no KOM splits posted.. That might be 3' of my life that I never get back. It was fun though, I like seeing little red dots while climbing the biggest climb in the state.

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: What to do with The Great Floridian? [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the GFT aquabike in 2010, 2012 and again yesterday. I love the venue and the three loop bike course just can't be beat. For me, the aquabike serves as a hard catered training event, and I can brush off the things that would really annoy me if I were actually racing the full 140.6. I've seen some improvements over the years, but there are still issues.

1. Having the swim for the Tri-America distance be a little longer than the 1.2 mile loop is just plain stupid. Two years ago I got suckered into swimming around the red pillion but this year I knew to turn at the same orange buoy (the red pillion isn't there on loop 1). Since I am a MOP swimmer, I started lap 2 with the Tri America distance folks and as we approached the first turn I saw long course athletes wondering if they should go out to the red buoy and the intermediate athletes wondering why swimmers like me where turning at the orange buoy (they probably thought I was cheating). Having a 1.2 mile loop and a 1.25 extension just adds needless confusion. Stop that nonsense now and let the "Tri-America" distance just be 1.2 miles. GFT is just shooting itself in the foot with their gimmicky swim distance. Note to Fred: the 101 distance didn't work out either. Nobody is going to complain if the one-off Tri America distance has a 1.2 mile vs 1.25 (or whatever it was) swim.

2. Gatorade bottles with regular caps. Really? You either had to stop and refill your bottles or stand there and slam the Gatorade down. Again, just a nice training day for me, but if was racing I would have been pissed. This is why folks pass on the indies and go to Ironman.

3. I ran out of Gels on the 3rd loop and asked for one at an aid station. Silly me, expecting they would have gels at a bike station. Took a banana instead so I made it through fine. See number 2.

Again...outstanding bike course...don't change it. Kudos to all the volunteers especially the UCF Knights tri-team. That aid station had a lot of energy!
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Oct 20, 14 9:07
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with The Great Floridian? [KJGrog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the ultra aqua bike today and have nothing but compliments for the way the race wad run, the marked and aid stations stocked and manned. Yes the course kicked my butt, but was well run!!!

Fred, if you really want to grow this race I have one suggestion - work with WTC to guarantee the overall male and female winner a spot a KONA next year. I understand that the quick answer is that they are your competitor, but independent events help to build the sport and the stronger the sport is the more they will continue to sellout their races in minutes. If you could work this out think of how many athletes would travel to FL for a late season 140.6 for a shot at KONA, heck how many local A list triathletes that local would enter?

If this event is going to survive and I hope it does, the one thing you can't do is nothing!
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with The Great Floridian? [criswhit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mean well but that ship sailed for the GFT long ago, and you clearly don't understand how WTC operates and the direction they've been going. They aren't going to sell a competitor even two Kona slots. And at this point, I don't think WTC would even offer to buy the race if it were for sale. Fred has got to figure a way to get folks to come without Kona spots. I think a license from Challenge with guaranteed entry to Roth would be much more feasible, but even that won't happen until Challenge gets off its butt and leverages Roth the way WTC leverages Kona.
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with The Great Floridian? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
This is why folks pass on the indies and go to Ironman.

This is probably the worst part. I hate it for the GFT specifically, but every time one of theses "grass roots" races drops the ball, the WTCphilia is strengthened and it hurts all the non-Mdot events.
At IMChoo, those guys had a trainwreck of issues to deal with and still pulled it off. I left pretty dang impressed with it and even thought it was a bargain considering the challenges they faced. I mean, for the masses, why risk a year of training and possibly the most significant athletic achievement of your life to save a few hundred dollars on a non-branded event?

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a pretty decent list of legit complaints. I'm torn because I want to do this race. Logistically it's perfect for me. However I had issues at the half put on in March (1 water stop for FOP on the bike) and now hearing this I'm torn. If I were just doing the half it wouldn't be such a big deal, but to put in the training hours for a full and be let down on raceday would suck. I don't really care about awards and standings. Those are legit concerns but can be taken care of after the fact. It's understandable to have computer issues ect. Little dumb on their part to even quote a time if they're doing awards right after. WTC even does them the next day. It's the aid station issues that worry me. My only 140.6 to date I was saved on the run by the aid stations. Sure would make an already long day a lot worse having to deal with issues at aid stations on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to agree. First, I have never done this Ironman but many of Sommer Sports sprint and oly races plus numerous road races. And I have volunteered at several full and half events.

I have experienced everything from no port-o-potties at an event until almost race time (locked bathrooms). No race shirts available and then having them mail to me a shirt either xl or last years race shirt. Really crummy after race food (after promised fantastic spread). No gels, running out of gator aide, lack of aid at aid stations. Poor timing and/or no results. Clueless confused volunteers, bad directions, and lack of communication.
The website is terrible and hard to navigate and results hard to find.

It just seems like this company tries to scrimp and save on virtually every part of their events. And. It. Shows.
It is sad because while living in Orlando I loved to go to Clermont and do the tris starting in the 90s. Back then the sprints would have 800-900 athletes. Then it pretty much went downhill due to the multiple little things that would constantly go wrong. And the seemingly uncaring attitude of the staff with this organization toward the athletes and any issues.
It is amazing that your events seem to be the antithesis of your advertising "the peoples race etc".

Unfortunately the norm for your events are underwhelming. It doesn't matter how much you claim you are about the people unless your actions back your claims you will continue to have low turnout and athletes leaving with bad tastes in their mouths. I believe you have a few running events coming up this fall so my challenge to you is put your money and actions where your mouth is.
Last edited by: Ty: Oct 20, 14 5:26
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with The Great Floridian? [Ty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would really like to see the GFT turn things around and at least get back to the size of the Vineman full. Part of the execution problem may come from having so many events going on the same day. But on the other hand, he can't make it work without the revenue from those other events. Catch 22.

Looking at the results I see 81 finishers on the full for the 24th edition. HITS Naples had 71 finishers in their full last year. If current trends hold, in a few months, HITS will surpass GFT as the 2nd largest iron distance race in the state ... didn't see that coming!
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with The Great Floridian? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would like to see it turn around also. It would be said for triathlon to leave the Clermont area. But I just don't see them upping their game at this point. And the question is; is it too late? Many people don't complain but just walk away.

I think they are fooling themselves if they think people don't notice that these events just don't live up to their billing.
For instance, currently Sommer sports has a 10 mile run in November that is $40.00. But you can pay twenty extra dollars and run up a set of stairs at the completion of the race.

Yes, running up the stairs is not included in the price. You pay twenty dollars more to do this. Now in my opinion this is just gouging plain and simple.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ty wrote:
I would like to see it turn around also. It would be said for triathlon to leave the Clermont area. But I just don't see them upping their game at this point. And the question is; is it too late? Many people don't complain but just walk away.

I think they are fooling themselves if they think people don't notice that these events just don't live up to their billing.
For instance, currently Sommer sports has a 10 mile run in November that is $40.00. But you can pay twenty extra dollars and run up a set of stairs at the completion of the race.

Yes, running up the stairs is not included in the price. You pay twenty dollars more to do this. Now in my opinion this is just gouging plain and simple.

Pics of the stairs? They'd better be epic...
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with The Great Floridian? [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Citrus Tower, Clermont:
http://www.citrustower.com/
I believe there are 25 flights of stairs and there is an observation tower at the top. You can look all around and see house after house or what use to be orange groves.
I wouldn't mind doing the race but to pay $60.00 for the 10 mile plus stairs seems a bit absurd.
Last edited by: Ty: Oct 20, 14 13:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For just $6, the adult admission price to the Tower, you can take the elevator and stay as long as you like at the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TY,
Why don't you email Fred with all your concerns. Obviously you have a lot of time to think about all this stuff so contact him if you really want to help. I am sure he would welcome your "constructive" (more like destructive IMO) criticism.
fsommer@sommersports.com
Kevin Grogan
Minneola, FL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KJGrog wrote:
TY,
Why don't you email Fred with all your concerns. Obviously you have a lot of time to think about all this stuff so contact him if you really want to help. I am sure he would welcome your "constructive" (more like destructive IMO) criticism.
fsommer@sommersports.com
Kevin Grogan
Minneola, FL.

KJ, I can assure you that I have on several occasions emailed Sommersports with issues. And the result was a level of unconcern and enthusiasm to address the problems. You are the one that stated:
If there are any ideas out there for 2015 GFT, Fred & I would love to explore them. Fire away.
So when one fires away with suggestions they are met with said snarky reply. Nice.

Last edited by: Ty: Oct 22, 14 3:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough.
My wife and I have both sent Fred a (long) list of our concerns from the weekend.
I will stand behind what I wrote and to be honest it's pretty much what's said on this thread minus the cheap shots.
I think for the most part we all want this organization and event to do well.
But sommer sports needs to get organized in a big way if they want the business to succeed. Bottom line. No more pity parties. Just want organized events from them.
Again,
Kevin Grogan
Minneola, fl.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KJ you are a stand up kind of guy. Sommersports is lucky to have you in their corner. And your right. I apologize for cheap shot. I hope this business succeeds for all of us and the community as well.
Last edited by: Ty: Oct 24, 14 3:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Follow up--

We got an email from Sommer Sports yesterday. They had an equipment failure that prevents them from giving us our bike split times for the KOM.. Which also means they can't hand out the $600 (approx. value) in primes. That is very disappointing. Perhaps even maddening, it is a repeat of the same thing that happened in 2012.

Also in the email it said the results have been updated and finalized.

I can't vouch for ALL the results, but the top 10 for the tri America distance is a total mess. I emailed Sommer Sports about it yesterday.

Quote:
Sommer Sports,

Do you plan to amend the Tri America distance results? The results you have posted are not accurate. Where did y'all come up with those "adjusted" times.

I was racing that day, and spoke with many of the competitors after the race.

Nat Glackin won the race, but not with the time you have shown, according to Nat.
"I was 1:11:09 with a lot of walking in the end. With a final time of 3:24. I am sure as hell that there was no one on that course running 5:03 pace while we were out there. I haven't seen results from Sugarloaf either. "

Rich was 2nd, but his final time was more in the 3:27-3:28 range. I(Austin Hardy) finished 3rd, and my time is accurate. Treadou and Cuddeback were all about a minute behind me (But Cuddeback ran his own course when he realized how messed up your course was).. Only mine, Nina's, and Nathan Nevid's time is accurate in your top 10 "results".

Where did you all come up with those final results? They are as screwed up as the run course!

It is discouraging to do your races and get results that are so detached from reality. It is almost as disappointing as being promised primes for the Sugarloaf climb, just to have those taken away due to an "equipment failure".

Another disappointing experience with Sommer Sports
Austin Hardy
Finisher of 2014 Orange Blossom Debacle, and Primeless 2012 GFT

I WANT Sommer Sports to improve. I want these races to thrive. But, I can't in good faith give good reviews of their races. And I can't encourage other triathletes to come down here and race their events.

How can a company celebrating its 25th anniversary be so inept at the basics of race management?

As an aside, and to end this post in a positive way.. Clermont/Winter Garden remains the best place in the world for you Northerners to come down to in the winter. Stop in and Winter Garden Wheelworks for all your bike needs. Got swim at the ole' NTC (now Livwell) and let KGrogan set you up with some shoes.. Enjoy the wonderful roads. Run on the clay trail. And might as well give your kids some money to blow at Disney while down here too!

Austin Hardy
Eustis FL

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: What to do with The Great Floridian? [SommerSports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fred, I signed up along with a friend. My friend has a lot of work to do cause he has not done a tri since 1998 which was the GFT.

You have a lot of work to do to give us a flawless race. Please cross your T's and dot your I's. I've supported numerous different races since 1998 that you have put on and I hope this will be your best one!

Rex
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with The Great Floridian? [SommerSports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fred!

I went to the web page and you have the wrong date for the race (about half way down the page) and there is no provision for prior finishers paying $50. I finished twice, btw, and would love to do the 25th Anniversary race. Finding race results was also quite problematical as I didn't find my results until I searched by name rather than age groups. Many of the age groups are cut off from your results page.

I did not get the email notifying folks of the $50 deal, though I've done the race twice and have done about a dozen other of your races. Why didn't everyone get the email?

So, what is the link showing I will only pay $50 as a prior finisher?

Have you finalized the bike course yet? 2 or 4 loops, or what?

Good luck!

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with The Great Floridian? [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found the registration link! I'll register today.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with The Great Floridian? [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fred, are the 2015 bike course maps done? The link below has only 2014 maps. Also, is the course 'downloadable' into google earth? Or is it in google maps (or some program) that someone has already ridden the course?

Also, what nutrition will be on the course? I know I have seen it on the site, and I must be missing it on the site.

Thanks.

Bike map link: http://greatfloridian.com/...bid/961/Default.aspx
Quote Reply
Re: What to do with The Great Floridian? [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Third bump, and my email with the same questions wasn't answered. I'd like to know so I can start formulating a nutrition strategy on the bike that coincides with what's on the course.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I'm not Fred, but did find this: http://greatfloridian.com/Portals/14/GFT%20Bike%20Course%20202015.pdf buried under the Run course portion of the site (http://greatfloridian.com/...bid/961/Default.aspx). It has the aid stations at 8.9, 18.5, and 24.2 miles of each lap (27 miles each). Under the course page it says that each aid station will have water, gatorade, and bananas, but that also describes last year's course, so who knows if it's what will actually be there or not.

Will
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Ga Tri Coach [ In reply to ]

Prev Next